Guardians of the Galaxy Disney Attraction? | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy Disney Attraction?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well this is certainly a lot to digest...

GotG is the only the Marvel property Disney could possibly take advantage of and they want to waste it with a overlay on what's considered a top 3 attraction? Not to mention they'll have a very similar IP with Star Wars right down the block....

I just can't.

I would laugh it off as a farce, but others are saying it's a substantial claim. Wonder if it's a leak flush?
If it's true that the concept is being pushed by Disney Anaheim, and WDW doesn't want it, it makes sense that it would be leaked before finalization.

Wow, WDW is being smart about something and doesn't want this piece of crap? Who would have ever thought WDW is the smart one in this equation lol

It wasn't them being smart...they said it would be too expensive so would rather it just be an overlay so in a sense being cheap is what will save WDW

It wasn't them being smart...they said it would be too expensive so would rather it just be an overlay so in a sense being cheap is what will save WDW

Or maybe they said it would cost too much money for an attraction that is already popular? It could have them being cheap or they could have said the cost vs. return wouldn't be there. That would be smart business. None of us are in those rooms to know what was actually said, but I imagine it was a cost vs. return conversation.

Reactions: Nick
There's plenty of sane people there and also crazies. Painting everyone the same is really unfair.
To clarify I was by no means insinuating everyone over there was a pixie dust snorter or what have you and didn't say that. I know there's plenty of overlap with the sites and plenty of good people there. It was more an observation that it's hard to have stimulating conversation when some members refuse to see what's right in front of them. You could argue that many of us including myself are slightly biased uni fanboys/fangirls (screenz fiendz?), but are typically much more reasonable.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Disgusted, truly disgusted.

If throwing frozen into Norway at Epcot wasn't bad enough they now plan on putting GotG into one of their most recognisable, classic, flagship attractions.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed GotG and would like to see an attraction built but not at the cost of a classic like TT.

Disney....... You are blessed with so much land which Walt so cleverly and secretly procured. Go use it.

Man, words fail me and my heart fills with sadness.

To clarify I was by no means insinuating everyone over there was a pixie dust snorter or what have you and didn't say that. I know there's plenty of overlap with the sites and plenty of good people there. It was more an observation that it's hard to have stimulating conversation when some members refuse to see what's right in front of them. You could argue that many of us including myself are slightly biased uni fanboys/fangirls (screenz fiendz?), but are typically much more reasonable.
Yeah. Quite a few good people, most of whom post here also. Mike S. is one of those & one of the best contributors on both sites. In fact, I've often seen him stand up to that hostile segment of posters over there that bash both Universal & Disney. But, bottom line, this is a much friendlier site and easier to have a good conversation than any other site. Only OI comes close, but their forums seem small in comparison to OU.

If Disney doesn't want to pay Viacom, I know a perfectly good, already existing overlay from Tokyo they could use to strip Twilight Zone from ToT. Would be infinitely cheaper since y'know, all the R&D is basically done.

I don't see how this flies, I can't even make the argument of "well the GP like it even if us fans don't!" because I think even they would be like, "oh... this is dumb." I can't help but imagine someone inside handed this to Spirit, grabbed some popcorn and watched it all go down spectacularly, then sent a link-filled email over the execs. Has rumor flush written all over it.

If Disney doesn't want to pay Viacom, I know a perfectly good, already existing overlay from Tokyo they could use to strip Twilight Zone from ToT. Would be infinitely cheaper since y'know, all the R&D is basically done.

I don't see how this flies, I can't even make the argument of "well the GP like it even if us fans don't!" because I think even they would be like, "oh... this is dumb." I can't help but imagine someone inside handed this to Spirit, grabbed some popcorn and watched it all go down spectacularly, then sent a link-filled email over the execs. Has rumor flush written all over it.

Agreed. When I said before about Star Wars, most of the people I know are more GP than they are WDW fans. When people want to go to DHS it is because of ToT, Toy Story, and Star Wars. These are general fans that are on no theme park boards and just visit because they love theme parks. Some have kids, some don't, etc. So I see ToT being that iconic thing. I think they could replace the IP and keep the general concept and people would be OK. But just changing it so far away from the original IP and throwing an odd concept I think is going to anger fans and the GP.

Reactions: Ryan
Let's not forget that ToT is now designated as the icon for DHS now that the hat is gone.

I'd consider the Chinese Theater to be the icon. It makes sense, considering that's been the original place for Disneys premieres back in the day. And that's also considering the first five Star Wars films premièred there.

The Chinese Theater is famous because its been the place that launched so many great films, not a factious tower, that was based in a mediocre film.

Reactions: Mike S
I'd consider the Chinese Theater to be the icon. It makes sense, considering that's been the original place for Disneys premieres back in the day. And that's also considering the first five Star Wars films premièred there.

The Chinese Theater is famous because its been the place that launched so many great films, not a factious tower, that was based in a mediocre film.

ToT is what they use to symbolize DHS in maps (Maps | Walt Disney World Resort along with the other park icons.

I do think the theater would be a better choice though.

So after seeing these rumor posts this morning I decided to give one of my friends at the house that Jack and Stan built a call so we could laugh it off.

He wasn't laughing. This has legs.

Seems to be rooted in Disney wanting to end payments to Viacom as a cost-cutting measure. Their licensing deal gives them a cut of gate admissions and once these expansions are done they don't want to give them a dime of it. Take that as you will.
If that's really the case there's a much better way to go about it by adopting the original story developed for ToT at TDS. This is just brainless.

If Disney really wanted to exploit the Marvel IPs, they should have went land shopping around or between Dallas, Houston or San Antonio and started to plan a mainly indoor (like the UAE parks under construction) Marvel Universe stand alone Gate and themed hotel or two and done Marvel up right and have another huge resort in the making. Huge airports all around and a massive pop base. The problem with Disney is what was wrong with US auto makers. They Think if one park has something that's hot, they have to replicate it at all their parks. The goal should be that each park,be so unique as to be Must Visits due to that alone, Pixar should have never invaded Epcot or WDW, it should had been for DHS and DCA only. Frozen, being Disney, should be in WDW. So on and so on. Hong Kong should have got a billion dollar upgrade and that should have been that there. Are they afraid of the close by Chime Long mega resort that's starting phase two?

Yeah. Quite a few good people, most of whom post here also. Mike S. is one of those & one of the best contributors on both sites. In fact, I've often seen him stand up to that hostile segment of posters over there that bash both Universal & Disney. But, bottom line, this is a much friendlier site and easier to have a good conversation than any other site. Only OI comes close, but their forums seem small in comparison to OU.
I have to say I'm flattered. Especially considering I haven't been here for long.

Beat me to it.