Guardian's of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardian's of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm kind of torn here.

On the one hand, I'm not too unhappy about this, I guess because they won't be doing it to ToT here in Orlando... that's the one I worked at, so I'm kind of sentimental about it.

But at the same time I'm also not thrilled about it? I like the Guardians film very much! But the thought of them stripping that Tower of all the theming to stick in a quick re-skin bums me out.

I always preferred the ToT here more, although I thought their two story boiler room was really cool over in CA. Theirs is too fast. There isn't even a Fifth Dimension. I've been following this over at Magic and the consensus seems to be it'll go to Epcot. Here's hoping they leave this Tower alone, and just put the Florida Guardians in the land of mismatched IPs instead.

Last edited:
All i'm gonna say is, California's version was never as good as Florida's. If you want to ride the real Tower of Terror, go to Florida. California's was OK, but I was never impressed. So for right now, I'm ok with this transformation.

However don't bring this mess into Disney's Hollywood Studios, i'm happy with the Twilight Zone theme. ;)

And if you want to ride the real Pirates, go to California. So are we open to having Guardians of the Caribbean in MK? Yes/yes?

And if you want to ride the real Pirates, go to California. So are we open to having Guardians of the Caribbean in MK? Yes/yes?

I think people are expecting it to take over something. I don't see them building a new ride. They are looking for cheap ways to freshen up the parks. With the money spent an Pandora, Star Wars, and Toy Story Land? No way are they going to build a new from scratch ride. Cheap overlay of something. Not sure they will try and put it in MK.

So the reaction is pretty poisoning all around, but they've spent a lot of money on this. Coincidentally one of the few times Disney has reversed an announcement was in 2010 with the theater adjacent to this attraction when they announced that dreary Toy Story musical from the cruise line to replace Aladdin. Guests balked and Disney a few months later said Aladdin would stay due to "popular" demand.

Of course they had yet to spend the money on it, whereas here there's already been footage shot... and none of the actors involved were cheap I bet. Do you guys think there is any possiblity Disney reneges on going through with this, or is it a done deal/no going back? (for the record, I think there is a very slim chance, emphasis on "slim")

So the reaction is pretty poisoning all around, but they've spent a lot of money on this. Coincidentally one of the few times Disney has reversed an announcement was in 2010 with the theater adjacent to this attraction when they announced that dreary Toy Story musical from the cruise line to replace Aladdin. Guests balked and Disney a few months later said Aladdin would stay due to "popular" demand.

Of course they had yet to spend the money on it, whereas here there's already been footage shot... and none of the actors involved were cheap I bet. Do you guys think there is any possiblity Disney reneges on going through with this, or is it a done deal/no going back? (for the record, I think there is a very slim chance, emphasis on "slim")

I'd imagine the actors involved probably filmed the scenes when GOTG 2 was being filmed and it's probably written into the contracts for theme park use. Speaking of footage though, is it going to be something generic that can be applied to a different variety of rides like ToT and somewhere at EPCOT or is it filmed specifically for DCA?

I can't see them going back on this but you never know. Maybe in 10 years, they'll bring the TOT back and it will be the biggest thing Disney has ever done.

Also long they don't touch the iconic tower at WDW, I'm ok with it. Although I can't have any respect at the cheap thought process for this project... What gets to me is when the company describes the project as, QUOTE: "Really, really cool, really wonderful addition to DCA" but they are not adding anything, if they are truly adding anything to the park, I should not be able to ride GOTG today.... but I can. All they are adding is a visual and a new experience to an existing attraction. There won't be a +1 in the park map.

Yep. And Chapek being retail oriented wants attractions so he can push the Marvel merch.

The same stuff you can buy at Target, Wal Mart, et al. From a genre potentially nearing the end of its life span.

Why Creatives, not Bean Counters, should design theme parks.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Do you guys think there is any possiblity Disney reneges on going through with this, or is it a done deal/no going back? (for the record, I think there is a very slim chance, emphasis on "slim")
If this was just a matter of replacing one ride then I think there would be a chance. But this is part of building a Marvel land. I doubt anything will change their mind on that. Pretty sure this is a done deal.

They can't touch ToT in Orlando for a very, very long time. There's just not enough capacity in that park. As soon as TSL or SWL opens up, they need other rides to soak up the people. You can't have a park's worth of people stuffed in one land. ToT holds a lot of people.

I know they keep closing rides, but they've definitely bottomed out. There's not much more you can close.

Reactions: Mad Dog
If this was just a matter of replacing one ride then I think there would be a chance. But this is part of building a Marvel land. I doubt anything will change their mind on that. Pretty sure this is a done deal.

And they are going about that all wrong. Insanely wrong.

They could build Marvel Land, keep ToT where it is and have everything work but they don't want to.

If they wanted to, they could find some way to build a new ride with the same storyline working with the already shot footage and keep ToT. But I think the executives are hell-bent on doing this unfortunately.

Looks like they are keeping it
What I think he meant was will they simply place a new facade over the existing one or remove what is currently there. It would be quicker to simply dress it up and put a facade on top of the existing facade.

Also, apparently footage for the ride has already been shot. I'd say they did it during shooting of GOTG2.

Reactions: Ultranel
They have to sell Awesome Tapes somehow.
They need to get Dick Vitale to help sell them.
VitaleCover_FinalHighRes.jpg