Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Honestly, talking with @HHNManics about it..and I would not be shocked, if next year is HDD/HDD2U and Us, alongside a revised version of that original ending from last year for Blumhouse.

Either that, or Purge Night, HDD/HDD2U and Us.

I know we’ll likely get The Purge again, but at what point will corporate realize it’s time for a break from the property? IMO it’s becoming worse than TWD was

Edit - If Sinister came back that would be amazing. The 2017 HoB section skipped nearly everything memorable about the 1st movie

I could very easily see them shoehorn Purge into the Blumhouse maze. It’s got to be back in some capacity every year.

Yeah. Regardless of what those who are acting for the event want..it should not, and probably won't, come down to them as the deciding factor.

As it somewhat seems, Purge is popular (even if it's beginning to somewhat fade). So why not milk as much profit as you can, before the well dries out?

Reactions: RevFreako
I think they would do Purge as the Opening Scare Zone to promote the TV Show instead of Blumhouse 3. Since there is already things from the Show that play into a Scare Zone.
Screenshot_20180922-194931_Show Box.jpg
A good example would be the Bus that has Cultish Members that go around delivering people to be murdered which can be in the same spot where the TrT Bus went.
Screenshot_20180917-203909_YouTube.jpg
You could even retheme the Fire Towers to have a Start thing on it. To resemble the Gauntlet they had in the Show.
Screenshot_20181020-114633_Show Box.jpg
Then you have the Carnival where you could put Carnivalish Props and sets around the park.
IMG_-r8hi.jpg
Then you have the part where the Rules for TrT was where you can literally just put the rules for the Purge and instead of White Sheet Ghosts you can put Purgers.
And also reuse costumes and props and everything from the last 6 years of the Purgers and throw in 4 or 5 new costumes and there's the Opening Scare Zone.

It writes itself.

I’d wonder that, if Killer Klowns were to come, if they would give it a scarezone in addition to the house much like TrT did. Also, TrT did not seem planned at all; was it a replacement for the AHS: Cult Zone that didn’t happen last year?

I’d wonder that, if Killer Klowns were to come, if they would give it a scarezone in addition to the house much like TrT did. Also, TrT did not seem planned at all; was it a replacement for the AHS: Cult Zone that didn’t happen last year?
I'd actually imagine that if they did do Killer Klowns they would actually do the Lower Lot. You can just do a very small Scare Zone down there with a small cast and very few sets and you are done. I would say the Tunnel but the Tunnel is a lot more energetic and you can't really have a energetic Scare Zone with Characters that require Costumes that you can't really run all that fast.

They were testing the lower lot Closing Weekend for 2018 so I would imagine if they did Klowns they would do a small Lower Lot Scare Zone.

Reactions: Joey
Been rewatching Hill House in the run-up to New Years and I love the idea of this maze.
*Start at the Funeral Home facade. It's decked out in Halloween decoration, with the sound of all the Crain children waking up, and Shirley whispering "Nellie's in the Red Room." There's thunder and lightning, and it's very very frightening.

* First room is small: the empty foyer of the funeral home. There's a persistent knocking at the door, lightning coming through the windows, and a model of the forever house sitting on a table. (Maybe have the kid version of the Crain siblings sitting on a couch)

* Out into the viewing room with all the chairs. Nellie's corpse is on a viewing stand with buttons over her eyes, and a scrim effect shows the Bent-Neck Lady standing there. Much like in Halloween 4, there's a blackout effect where the room goes dark when the scare comes. Out from under the coffin, Olivia's ghost crawls out.

** Into a short, dark little hallway with the smashed up forever house, with the porch lights flashing one, two, and Mr. Smiley popping out of the cupboard.

* And into the Morgue room, the last scene in the funeral home. There's Nell's real corpse on the table, looking all pale and screwed up, while in the corner is the corpse of Luke that Olivia hallucinated. In the background, Luke and Nellie monologue about "the silver table." Nellie, with her mouth wired shut and her eyes all pale, pops out from the edge of the doorway to scream "MOMMY"

** They go into that weird locker in the back of the room to exit the funeral home.

* It's probably not gonna happen, but if they do try to put in the car scene in a maze, they could put a static car with two Theo and Shirley dummies inside, and have the audience walk by it. Behind, there's a projection effect showing the "woods" zipping by, plus a few spotlights that "move" from the front of the car to the back, to simulate streetlamps passing by. Nell jumps out from the other side and screams at the audience.

* Hill House facade! Forced perspective behind a wrought iron gate to keep distance, plus with the porch lights again.

** Enter a little hallway. There's the "blueprints" of Hill House, with the forever house scrawled all over it.

* before going into Nellie's and Luke's room. The children are sitting up and chanting about waking up from the terrible dream, and an Olivia actress is nodding along. All the paintings in the room are going ballistic, like in the Exorcist maze.

* Into the kitchen, with the trap-door prominently open. There's a hidden ghost hiding behind the ladder down, just kinda standing there. Olivia's travel-clothes and suitcase are strewn about the dining room table, and there's a tea-set and a bottle of rat poison on the counter. The dumb waiter is open, and the half-burned ghost that scared Luke pops out from it.

* Next, the basement, with the return of the Silent Hill flashlight effect. The burned-ghost leaps out from behind a set of barrels.

** Afterwards, there's a short section where you see a moldy wall with the plastic tarps and fans. The brick wall's been torn down, and the corpse of William Hill is sitting there. In the background, Mr. Dudley is giving his speech about how bad it is to stay in Hill House.

** A short hallway shows William Hill's floating effect from that triplet musical. The backwards William Hill that chases Adult Luke pops out from the side.

* Into the statue room, where some of them are alive. Nellie is dancing by herself through the room, and a scrim effect shows Poppy doing the same. The whole room is air-conditioned, and the lighting switches continually from warm orange to cold blue.

* Down another hallway full of statues. Sort of like the Purge Apartment, ghosts just start popping out from the doors, Hazel and Poppy and the Wheelchair boy.

** Into a short little hallway, where you see the library balcony with the hanging corpse of Nell and Olivia hunched over the railings. Poppy jumps out and tries to push people over the edge.

* Finally into the Red Room. It's a long transition hallway, with the milky white lighting they used in the Polt closet. At the very end of the room, there's the iconic red room window, shining red. Blackout actors dressed as melty-eye Joey, pregnant Leigh, and no-eye Shirley all jump out of holes. All along the Hallway walls, stuff like Steve's Vanity, Theo's dance studio TV, Nell's Cup of Stars, and Olivia's reading armchair gets spotlighted at random intervals (supposed to represent the different aspects of the Red Room. Nell narrates from above, talking about what the room was to each person.

* Finale: Into the foyer, filled with the different ghosts of Hill House. Some are static, some are alive. Guests exit through the front door.

This series has so much to work with it's crazy.

Last edited:
Been rewatching Hill House in the run-up to New Years and I love the idea of this maze.
*Start at the Funeral Home facade. It's decked out in Halloween decoration, with the sound of all the Crain children waking up, and Shirley whispering "Nellie's in the Red Room." There's thunder and lightning, and it's very very frightening.

* First room is small: the empty foyer of the funeral home. There's a persistent knocking at the door, lightning coming through the windows, and a model of the forever house sitting on a table. (Maybe have the kid version of the Crain siblings sitting on a couch)

* Out into the viewing room with all the chairs. Nellie's corpse is on a viewing stand with buttons over her eyes, and a scrim effect shows the Bent-Neck Lady standing there. Much like in Halloween 4, there's a blackout effect where the room goes dark when the scare comes. Out from under the coffin, Olivia's ghost crawls out.

** Into a short, dark little hallway with the smashed up forever house, with the porch lights flashing one, two, and Mr. Smiley popping out of the cupboard.

* And into the Morgue room, the last scene in the funeral home. There's Nell's real corpse on the table, looking all pale and screwed up, while in the corner is the corpse of Luke that Olivia hallucinated. In the background, Luke and Nellie monologue about "the silver table." Nellie, with her mouth wired shut and her eyes all pale, pops out from the edge of the doorway to scream "MOMMY"

** They go into that weird locker in the back of the room to exit the funeral home.

* It's probably not gonna happen, but if they do try to put in the car scene in a maze, they could put a static car with two Theo and Shirley dummies inside, and have the audience walk by it. Behind, there's a projection effect showing the "woods" zipping by, plus a few spotlights that "move" from the front of the car to the back, to simulate streetlamps passing by. Nell jumps out from the other side and screams at the audience.

* Hill House facade! Forced perspective behind a wrought iron gate to keep distance, plus with the porch lights again.

** Enter a little hallway. There's the "blueprints" of Hill House, with the forever house scrawled all over it.

* before going into Nellie's and Luke's room. The children are sitting up and chanting about waking up from the terrible dream, and an Olivia actress is nodding along. All the paintings in the room are going ballistic, like in the Exorcist maze.

* Into the kitchen, with the trap-door prominently open. There's a hidden ghost hiding behind the ladder down, just kinda standing there. Olivia's travel-clothes and suitcase are strewn about the dining room table, and there's a tea-set and a bottle of rat poison on the counter. The dumb waiter is open, and the half-burned ghost that scared Luke pops out from it.

* Next, the basement, with the return of the Silent Hill flashlight effect. The burned-ghost leaps out from behind a set of barrels.

** Afterwards, there's a short section where you see a moldy wall with the plastic tarps and fans. The brick wall's been torn down, and the corpse of William Hill is sitting there. In the background, Mr. Dudley is giving his speech about how bad it is to stay in Hill House.

** A short hallway shows William Hill's floating effect from that triplet musical. The backwards William Hill that chases Adult Luke pops out from the side.

* Into the statue room, where some of them are alive. Nellie is dancing by herself through the room, and a scrim effect shows Poppy doing the same. The whole room is air-conditioned, and the lighting switches continually from warm orange to cold blue.

* Down another hallway full of statues. Sort of like the Purge Apartment, ghosts just start popping out from the doors, Hazel and Poppy and the Wheelchair boy.

** Into a short little hallway, where you see the library balcony with the hanging corpse of Nell and Olivia hunched over the railings. Poppy jumps out and tries to push people over the edge.

* Finally into the Red Room. It's a long transition hallway, with the milky white lighting they used in the Polt closet. At the very end of the room, there's the iconic red room window, shining red. Blackout actors dressed as melty-eye Joey, pregnant Leigh, and no-eye Shirley all jump out of holes. All along the Hallway walls, stuff like Steve's Vanity, Theo's dance studio TV, Nell's Cup of Stars, and Olivia's reading armchair gets spotlighted at random intervals (supposed to represent the different aspects of the Red Room. Nell narrates from above, talking about what the room was to each person.

* Finale: Into the foyer, filled with the different ghosts of Hill House. Some are static, some are alive. Guests exit through the front door.

I like your ideas but I think the way they would handle the transition from Funeral Home to Hill House would be like this.
Screenshot_20181216-112728_Show Box.jpg
Which is the Dad character walking through the Funeral Home to then end up in Hill House. Would love to be wrong though.

I also think it would be a great reuse of the Hostel Dogs since they will most likely represent the entire Hill House family you could also represent the dogs that the Kids hearing barking.

I would also imagine that somewhere they would have the Music of Al Bowlly possibly something for Poppy or when you are exiting the Maze you hear the song "Haunted House".

I like your ideas but I think the way they would handle the transition from Funeral Home to Hill House would be like this.
View attachment 8600
Which is the Dad character walking through the Funeral Home to then end up in Hill House. Would love to be wrong though.

I also think it would be a great reuse of the Hostel Dogs since they will most likely represent the entire Hill House family you could also represent the dogs that the Kids hearing barking.

I would also imagine that somewhere they would have the Music of Al Bowlly possibly something for Poppy or when you are exiting the Maze you hear the song "Haunted House".

Between these and Murdy’s hints there’s no way in hell we don’t get Haunting of Hill House unless another Conjuring happens.

On another note, I wonder if we’ll get a 3D Maze this year due to how cheap they are. KKFOS could fit the bill but I’m sure Murdy wouldn’t do that to the property unless Orlando does their house in 3D.

On another note, I wonder if we’ll get a 3D Maze this year due to how cheap they are. KKFOS could fit the bill but I’m sure Murdy wouldn’t do that to the property unless Orlando does their house in 3D.

It's possible but I personally wouldn't want Klowns to be a 3D maze because if it's a 3D maze that means they can reuse everything from previous 3D mazes and get insanely lazy.

But Klowns could definitely fit the criteria for a 3D maze. The only way I would really like Klowns if it was 3D if it were done similarly to the way HOTC did 3D.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris.g
Just thought about something. If they were to do another video game maze, would Doom work? I personally feel the whole setting and the characters are perfect for a maze, or maybe a scarezone.

It's possible but I personally wouldn't want Klowns to be a 3D maze because if it's a 3D maze that means they can reuse everything from previous 3D mazes and get insanely lazy.

But Klowns would definitely fit the criteria for a 3D maze. The only way I would really like Klowns if it was 3D if it were done similarly to the way HOTC did 3D.

There's also the fact that the color scheme for KK lends itself easily to the chroma basee 3D system HHN uses.

There's also the fact that the color scheme for KK lends itself easily to the chroma basee 3D system HHN uses.
That's really only present in the Opening with the Tent and the Ending with the circus. The streets, the Police Station, and other locations don't lend themselves very easily to 3D. And if they force it then they can totally just reuse 3D sets from previous mazes.

The last 3D maze (Hollywood) was This is the End 3D. Think about that? I seriously don't want to take a chance with a 3D maze after that maze. I would rather just have a regular normal Killer Klowns from Outer Space maze.

I personally believe that they should only do a 3D maze IF the other mazes are at least highly-requested and detailed in a way that can be executed properly, just in case the 3D maze flops and most of the focus can fall on the other mazes for potential praise. I totally understand why turning KKFOS into a 3D attraction is tempting with the tent and carnival scenes, but at the same time I think it can be executed cleverly without that component added on.

Reactions: HHNManics
View attachment 8600

That's kind of the beauty of the maze; there's so many options for how to design it. I think Murdy just likes putting facades where he can, but a reference to the transition in episode 6 would be awesome to see.

I personally believe that they should only do a 3D maze IF the other mazes are at least highly-requested and detailed in a way that can be executed properly, just in case the 3D maze flops and most of the focus can fall on the other mazes for potential praise. I totally understand why turning KKFOS into a 3D attraction is tempting with the tent and carnival scenes, but at the same time I think it can be executed cleverly without that component added on.
That's really only present in the Opening with the Tent and the Ending with the circus. The streets, the Police Station, and other locations don't lend themselves very easily to 3D. And if they force it then they can totally just reuse 3D sets from previous mazes.

The last 3D maze (Hollywood) was This is the End 3D. Think about that? I seriously don't want to take a chance with a 3D maze after that maze. I would rather just have a regular normal Killer Klowns from Outer Space maze.
See, I totally thought Trick R Treat was gonna be a 3D maze, but even though that maze was decked out in black walls, I kinda dug that maze and its massive show-pieces. I can see Klownz as a 3D maze, but after seeing TRT, I kinda don't want it as a 3D maze.

So just a question/early prediction: It seems that we’ve all gotten used to black walls and just expect them at this point, so do you all think they will be more or less prevalent in 2019?

So just a question/early prediction: It seems that we’ve all gotten used to black walls and just expect them at this point, so do you all think they will be more or less prevalent in 2019?

I feel like they got smarter with their black walls, mostly putting them at the ending gauntlet or squeezing them all in one section so the rest of the maze can shine. I feel there were less Black Wallz, but not that much less, they just got less noticeable. For example, a really good chunk of Poltergeist was black wallz (besides the obvious face-peeling stretch, there's also the closet transition with the skull, the TV-hallway, and the finale hallway) but they mostly did it in a way that it felt fitting instead of lazy. Even TrT sorta got away with calling them transition hallways (I know not everyone liked that maze, but I personally thought it was amazing and didn't mind the black hallz as much). First Purge was the only one that really suffered.

Presumably, this year will be even better about the black wallz, but there will still be one or two mazes with a few noticeable stretches.

EDIT: I actually think this year might be one of the better ones to increase the number of mazes, if only because they could totally bring back UCM with a few minor changes and just use that as the 8th maze. Plus, Stranger Things 2 can reuse a ton of sets, Happy Death Day can reuse costumes and sets, etc. Only problem is, where would the maze go?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rideguy70
EDIT: I actually think this year might be one of the better ones to increase the number of mazes, if only because they could totally bring back UCM with a few minor changes and just use that as the 8th maze. Plus, Stranger Things 2 can reuse a ton of sets, Happy Death Day can reuse costumes and sets, etc. Only problem is, where would the maze go?
Nowhere because it isn't a good idea to increase the Amount of Mazes until we have a reasonable budget to handle it. And based on 2017 and 2018 we don't.