Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
EDIT: I actually think this year might be one of the better ones to increase the number of mazes, if only because they could totally bring back UCM with a few minor changes and just use that as the 8th maze. Plus, Stranger Things 2 can reuse a ton of sets, Happy Death Day can reuse costumes and sets, etc. Only problem is, where would the maze go?
STRONGLY disagree. They need to use this year to improve the quality more than anything else. They should not even think about adding another maze until 2021 AT LEAST. They desperately need to do something about those black walls.

I honestly agree with them not adding another house. If need too (which at this point, with ST coming in..), open up another attraction or two. It irritates me to see how they aren't wanting to do anything with Hogsmeade and DreamWorks Theater (hell, with DWT; they don't even have to have it be DreamWorks Theater, just have a chill area).

Reactions: Freak and HHNManics
I get the argument against increasing the maze count (I don't want the maze count increased either), but if the thinking goes that if they reuse UCM for a year or two, they could get away with using the same budget for 2018 to build 7 mazes and just not spend a dime on the eighth.

At some point or another, higher ups are gonna want more capacity. And maze count increases come seemingly every 2 or 3 years, and this year will be 2 years from the last time the maze count increased (2017). If they do it this year - which they're not guaranteed to, but hypothetically - then it's probably not going to be nearly as bad as it could have been, because they can totally get away with just reusing an entire maze. Which, admittedly, didn't work out too well for 2017 (which reused Saw), but imagine if it was all never-before-seen properties. God, what a crap-show that would've been.

Either that, or they can keep UCM in cold storage until they do increase the maze count, and just bring that out as "new-and-improved" like Orlando did with AWiL. But either way, they have it now.

Sets and costumes are only part of the expense. I'd guess the biggest expense is staffing.

Good point.

For those arguing for more capacity, Potter will likely be open and JW will be open. There’s your capacity right there.

Potter better be open. Even if it’s only the land and no rides, it would still draw a lot of crowds away from packed areas of the park.

I don't know, the park has seemed really dead set against having Potter open for HHN. What makes you think they'll change their mind next year? If they did open it, they'd have to have the attractions open as well... guests would be royally pissed to get into the area but not be able to ride anything.

I agree I think it'd be cool if DWT was used as a screening room for either classing horror films, or even CryptTV. If they're not going to add another maze or show, they need to find other ways to move crowds.

There is one way HHN could easily boost maze counts... reuse old mazes. Knott's has been doing it for years. Part of me feels HHN puts itself a bit in a box by having to completely reinvent it from scratch every single year, and I feel like we see the strain of that by the overuse of the same props year after year in different settings, as well as the black walls.

That said, I'm well aware AvP was reused, and it didn't go well the 2nd year. And maybe HHN doesn't want to copy Knott's model, which is fine--I do see the pluses and minues of that. But then again, they've reused TWD for how many years now (the daytime attraction), and are counting that in their maze total--so in a way, they've already been doing it, and we've all just been turning a convenient blind eye to it. That's staffing that could go to another maze instead. Say what you will about Knott's, but for all those mazes over all those years, essentially none have had any black walls at all (unless it was an intentional effect, like the black fuzzy walls in Tooth Fairy).

Instead HHN insists on being completely new year after year. It's a very noble goal, but it gives us the problems we all complain about here.

I don't know, the park has seemed really dead set against having Potter open for HHN. What makes you think they'll change their mind next year? If they did open it, they'd have to have the attractions open as well... guests would be royally pissed to get into the area but not be able to ride anything.

I agree I think it'd be cool if DWT was used as a screening room for either classing horror films, or even CryptTV. If they're not going to add another maze or show, they need to find other ways to move crowds.

There is one way HHN could easily boost maze counts... reuse old mazes. Knott's has been doing it for years. Part of me feels HHN puts itself a bit in a box by having to completely reinvent it from scratch every single year, and I feel like we see the strain of that by the overuse of the same props year after year in different settings, as well as the black walls.

That said, I'm well aware AvP was reused, and it didn't go well the 2nd year. And maybe HHN doesn't want to copy Knott's model, which is fine--I do see the pluses and minues of that. But then again, they've reused TWD for how many years now (the daytime attraction), and are counting that in their maze total--so in a way, they've already been doing it, and we've all just been turning a convenient blind eye to it. That's staffing that could go to another maze instead. Say what you will about Knott's, but for all those mazes over all those years, essentially none have had any black walls at all (unless it was an intentional effect, like the black fuzzy walls in Tooth Fairy).

Instead HHN insists on being completely new year after year. It's a very noble goal, but it gives us the problems we all complain about here.

The last time they tried reusing mazes, the HHN fans all tore Murdy a new one all over Twitter and the HHN forums.. 2010 I believe it was..

The last time they tried reusing mazes, the HHN fans all tore Murdy a new one all over Twitter and the HHN forums.. 2010 I believe it was..

Not AvP 2015? Though that one was kind of a flop, too.

I think UCM can get away with it with a few more scenes, but that kinda negates the price-saving potential. Ehh. In a few years then.

since we're still in wild guessing season right now, im gonna bring up the weirdest idea which would never ever happen. V/H/S 1 and 2. here's why.
  1. has amazing sets (haunted house going haywire, zombie infested birthday party, creepy cult, etc etc) and makeup (aliens, glitchy serial killer, succubus, demons,) to use.
  2. has tons of cool practical effects to use (demon birth, hands coming out of the walls)
  3. has every type of horror characters their. vampires, killers, aliens, ghosts, zombies, demons.
  4. is very popular on netflix with all 3 films on their (we don't talk about the third one).
  5. and it is very, very, gory

Between these and Murdy’s hints there’s no way in hell we don’t get Haunting of Hill House unless another Conjuring happens.

On another note, I wonder if we’ll get a 3D Maze this year due to how cheap they are. KKFOS could fit the bill but I’m sure Murdy wouldn’t do that to the property unless Orlando does their house in 3D.

At first I thought marketability would be an issue, but TBH judging by my in-line conversations this year, very few people under the age of 30 had ever seen Poltergeist. So if Poltergeist was a banner IP then HoHH should suffice.

At first I thought marketability would be an issue, but TBH judging by my in-line conversations this year, very few people under the age of 30 had ever seen Poltergeist. So if Poltergeist was a banner IP then HoHH should suffice.

I thought so too, but it turns out the show is actually incredibly popular.

Netflix's 'Haunting of Hill House' surging in popularity with viewers - Business Insider

Anecdotally, folks at college - including people who dont normally like horror - love this show. Adult Luke in particular has a massive female following.

I thought so too, but it turns out the show is actually incredibly popular.

Netflix's 'Haunting of Hill House' surging in popularity with viewers - Business Insider

Anecdotally, folks at college - including people who dont normally like horror - love this show. Adult Luke in particular has a massive female following.

Well, that is from October.

And that's funny--I'm a straight guy, but I'd assume Steve would be more attractive. Theo's probably my favorite character in that regard.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Me seeing names like Theo and Shirley and it aint about Twin Peaks

1503318353045.gif

Reactions: Spookies n' Stuff
So judging by Murdy’s hints and our speculation it seems like he’s done working on:

- Hill House
- Hellraiser
- Blumhouse 3 ft. HDD + maybe Us
- Stranger Things 2

Also Haunting of Hill House is really popular in the Gen Z demographic. If I had to compare it to anything in popularity from previous years I’d compare it to AHS or maybe Saw

So judging by Murdy’s hints and our speculation it seems like he’s done working on:

- Hill House
- Hellraiser
- Blumhouse 3 ft. HDD + maybe Us
- Stranger Things 2

Also Haunting of Hill House is really popular in the Gen Z demographic. If I had to compare it to anything in popularity from previous years I’d compare it to AHS or maybe Saw

Those 4, plus Killer Klownz from Outer Space. Leaving 2, maybe one of them being UCM 2 and another unknown.

Reactions: horrornights789