Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

Two things to note:

1) The website prominently features IPs, original content is not even on the main page.

2) First time (to my knowledge) they've not designed logos for scarezones.

Two things to note:

1) The website prominently features IPs, original content is not even on the main page.

2) First time (to my knowledge) they've not designed logos for scarezones.

Prominently featuring the IPs is nothing new. Eventually the first image will be Jack "featuring" the big 3.

Not designing logos for the scare zones (or featuring the full art for the houses on the site) were poor moves. There's no reason we couldn't get art (guarantee the conversation was, "well we wouldn't have to print it on a house entrance, so it's expendable!" Cut$).

I'm glad the street content looks as strong as it does, though.

Not designing logos for the scare zones (or featuring the full art for the houses on the site) were poor moves. There's no reason we couldn't get art (guarantee the conversation was, "well we wouldn't have to print it on a house entrance, so it's expendable!" Cut$).

You're right. Another consideration is not having prominently featured logos for scarezones can make someone think there is less content.

You're right. Another consideration is not having prominently featured logos for scarezones can make someone think there is less content.

I'm sure this'll get bashed as "nitpicking," but it's textbook declining by degrees. Is it absolutely necessary for the event to run? Nah. Was it a nice thing that added a little layer to the event? Absolutely.

As I've said before, I think the house and zone lineup is actually really strong - but the presentation of these elements is notably lackluster, especially compared to previous years. Not sure what marketing was thinking with some of these titles, too - Jack Presents: 25 Years of Monsters and Mayhem? That one really rolls off the tongue. :lol:

So the event with more houses than ever, double the scare actors in the streets, and a new show year over year is now being called out for cuts and declining by degrees because they didn't release scare zone logos.

Ok then.
I actually get exactly what Fallow is saying. Stuff like that doesn't make or break the event but it reflects the level of care and effort that's being put into it. When little things like that go away, it shows Universal's declining commitment to the event, which is disappointing for fans who have been going since wayyyy back in the day when HHN was a completely different world in how immersive and well thought-out it was. It's getting really annoying how anyone who has anything the slightest bit critical to say about Universal gets shot down.

That being said, I am really excited for this year. These look to be the best scarezones since '08 IMO, and the house lineup is rock solid. Can't wait!

So the event with more houses than ever, double the scare actors in the streets, and a new show year over year is now being called out for cuts and declining by degrees because they didn't release scare zone logos.

Ok then.

Adding a 9th house was a good move and I'm happy they finally did it. The encore of AWIL and the reliance on a cheaper 3D house with Asylum was possibly a move to allow for the super Anniversary house, which is a choice I'm personally happy they made.

"Double the scare actors in the streets" is a buzz phrase and no one should be falling for that without hard numbers. Double from what, exactly? The amount of actors in the streets has fluctuated wildly over the last few years. We're down to 5 zones and 2 hordes, which is pretty solid, but again the street program at its peak was 6 zones with 3 hordes in 2008. Unless there's more actors per zone/horde than there were in that year, I don't see how "double the actors" is really all that momentous a claim.

The event used to have four shows at its peak, and we're finally getting a second show that will be worth watching multiple times. I'm really happy about that - icon shows are usually great - but I'm not going to pretend it's a gift from god.

Look, like I said before, I think this is the strongest house lineup we've seen since 2011. I also think it's the strongest street lineup since 2008. I'm pointing out that the presentation of these elements has been exceedingly poor. Ultimately, at the event I'll almost certainly have tons of fun, especially if the attractions are well executed (sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, for a menagerie of reasons). But presentation is important, and we've fallen a long way from the run of 2004-2009 (debatably up to 2011).

There are some good steps in the right direction (restoring the street program, adding a 9th house, doing an icon with an actual event presence and show), and then there are some steps back. The lack of street art was a little thing that helped define each zone and helped build anticipation for the event. It's a detail that's now gone. I think cutting those little things has hurt the event a lot over time, that's all.

Additionally, I would argue that some of the houses aren't as "creative" as people think. AWIL is almost an exact repeat from the last time (Mike did say they tweaked some things). Alice is a cheap 3D that'll reuse prior costumes/designs/cheap sets. FvJ we've seen already in separate form. Insidious was done via Hollywood so they can use some of their execution over here. Purge will use repeated costumes from last year. TWD doesn't take much to recreate since the show lays it out for them. I would even argue some of the zones look poor - Psychoscarepy, in its current form, looks laughably bland - like they went to AC Moore and literally bought $2 decorations.

Marketing was horrendous this year.

A stage show that I'll probably watch one time on YouTube? If people are going they'll want to do a house/zone, not watch a show. Should've taken the show's money and put it elsewhere.

What about RUN's logo not being the same as what is on its facade? Glaring mistake?

The Anniversary house is a major repeat of stuff from their archive. Not much required there.

I'm going to consistently say they aren't as Creative as they think. What they do is hire a great set design team. That's it. Hell, the audio in lots of the houses are getting really bad. The event is rarely innovative, definitely not scary anymore, etc.

Additionally, I would argue that some of the houses aren't as "creative" as people think. AWIL is almost an exact repeat from the last time (Mike did say they tweaked some things). Alice is a cheap 3D that'll reuse prior costumes/designs/cheap sets. FvJ we've seen already in separate form. Insidious was done via Hollywood so they can use some of their execution over here. Purge will use repeated costumes from last year. TWD doesn't take much to recreate since the show lays it out for them. I would even argue some of the zones look poor - Psychoscarepy, in its current form, looks laughably bland - like they went to AC Moore and literally bought $2 decorations.

A stage show that I'll probably watch one time on YouTube? If people are going they'll want to do a house/zone, not watch a show. Should've taken the show's money and put it elsewhere.

What about RUN's logo not being the same as what is on its facade? Glaring mistake?

Going to disagree on some of those. Like I said, stands to reason AWIL and Asylum exist to help justify the Anniversary super house, which is vital to a good anniversary year. We haven't seen FvJ in 7 years and this is a somewhat fresh take on them. Insidious is the weird duck of the "anniversary" lineup, but it's an IP that actually lends itself well to an HHN attraction. Purge was a last minute thing and I won't put the blame on A&D. Not going to comment on TWD other than I'm glad it isn't the central marketing focus.

Psychoscareapy only looks "bad" now. It probably won't later, when we have proper show lighting and the gorier props and effects. The zone always seemed like it was going to have a certain kitsch factor for it base directions.

Marketing was bad. Really, really bad. No disagreements.

Disagree, the icon show is an important part of HHN and I'm glad it'll be included.

RUN's new logo seemed to be more of a "retro" throwback, which I enjoy. They're very clearly not just recreating 2001's house.

RUN's new logo seemed to be more of a "retro" throwback, which I enjoy. They're very clearly not just recreating 2001's house.

I updated my original post with a bit more. Tell me what you think. I respect your counterpoints. As for the RUN logo I am saying they should use this one, not the old one, since it's the logo of the house. Plus, I like this new one much better. The old one is on the facade, the new one is in the logo. What's up with that?

The Anniversary house is a major repeat of stuff from their archive. Not much required there.

I'm going to consistently say they aren't as Creative as they think. What they do is hire a great set design team. That's it. Hell, the audio in lots of the houses are getting really bad. The event is rarely innovative, definitely not scary anymore, etc.

3313z3a.gif

Except that's the idea.