Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 112 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Since American Werewolf is back at HHN, I just pray and hope to Dear God that they repeat Alien Vs Predator with the Queen alien from Hollywood this time around.
That's another house that deserves a second chance. Specially since the first house didn't really get a good ending

This Wolf house is definitely worth repeating. Specially if you only saw it once back then. it is worth the ticket for the puppets alone

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
The way it's cast is nearly identical to Purge. Still not sure what that means, but there's that.

My big question is why people are so excited about THE RETURN OF REAL SCAREZONES!!!! We had zones last year. And really you had zones in 2013, too. They just all had zombies. It's not like zones have been missing for years.

Because if they adopt that ideology, it's easier to do the mental gymnastics to claim this is gonna be the best year ever.

I was only comparing them based on the website alone and my perception of what those houses and scares zones were or will be. I get that they used to try to build a little more interactivity on the website and build a little more story to get people excited. Looking at todays website in contrast to that one it's just a list of what will be at the event. Ultimately though HHN is an event not a website and promo art so I don't really care too much about the events representation. It's interesting to me that they hold scare zones up to the same level as houses as you click through it goes through them and scare zones are mixed with houses. If I were just a casual observer I might think that the scare zones were houses. To me scare zones and magic shows are filler, it's important to have that kind of filler for a well rounded event but we all know the reason people go is for the houses. In that regard I think HHN25 is giving us more than they have before.

Here's the thing - and I don't know how else to say this - it cost very little to add the "clickables" and backstories, since almost all of it was done in-house. They usually outsourced the games and honestly care far less about them and agree it's probably an unnecessary expense. People will show up to HHN no matter what barring an economic or natural disaster: doesn't matter if there's IPs, doesn't matter if there's a cool website. The name has enough riding on it that people will show up.

Because people will show up no matter what, why not just throw A&D a bone, let them throw a few things together, and please the fanbase? It costs them drops in the bucket and makes their biggest supporters very happy. By cutting the little stuff that put HHN on the map, the stuff that made it different and made us diehard fans in the first place, you're alienating us and constantly saying "so what? We've got you on a leash." And yeah... to an extent they're right. But I've watched many of the oldest members of this community opt out over the years, and I don't blame them. I didn't go last year, and I could've easily afforded it. To be honest, this is probably my last year in Orlando until there's major changes.

Presentation of elements is important. Scare zones are considered to be (and are marketed as) attractions, because they're unique offerings. The lack of art for them is a copout. It says very clearly on the website whether or not something was a scare zone or a house, so I doubt there was much confusion, or at least no more than the basic "where's the Tower of Terror" you get from general public joe schmoes who don't know any better.

People go for the houses, but the event isn't "8 or so houses at Universal Studios," it's HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS. The full, encompassing experience is important - that includes everything from the drive to the park, the line to get in, the houses, the zones, Bill & Ted, other shows, drinks, and everything else. You begin to chip away at those other elements and you get less and less, despite the fact that we're now paying more than ever.

In short, you can be satisfied with less, but I won't be, and I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not demanding more.

So pumped for HHN this year, I already made my custom Tshirt!
HHN25%20Shirt_zpsxn93hbmm.jpg
Looks great!

Was looking at the 2007 website and the tickets were $34 for Sunday through Thursday!

btw, isnt this where Jacks show will be?

map.jpg

Last edited:
Why is Fear considered one of the worst icons? I didn't go that year but I liked the idea behind him. Was it executed badly?

A&D had to create him last minute, his lore significantly diminished the other icons, he had a grand total of one appearance in the entire park (his perch in his zone where he was too large and central to scare anyone), marketing botched his rollout/reveal... the list goes on. Bottom line, when you promise a super-icon, people expect something better than Jack. This was slightly better than Storyteller. I too liked him in concept and wish they had continued to try to make him work.

Fallow nailed the reasons pretty good, essentially Fear was hyped up as the icon pulling the strings of the others which on paper sounds like a great idea. But when the end result was a stiltwalking Bobby Brown with wings who can only really just stand there and try to look menacing, it's a bit of a dissapointment. I thought his lantern faced minions were a lot cooler. (May be a bit biased considering one of my friends was one of them, but my opinion still stands.) Ultimately, Fear was a interesting idea but due to the execution he's right with the weaker icons such as the Storyteller and most certainly Lady Luck.

I personally hate the way Fear looked

i dont care about the hype or the lack of presence in the park, he just looked So Awful :lol:
I swear that costume made him look like an exotic dancer lol. I really don't understand why his body was not made of roots of why he didn't have some kind of shirt or vest on. (Why his skin was pink instead of looking like leaves.

And his head looked like a mutant potato :lol:

the problem i had with fear he was just so meh. i dont know anything about the problems behind the scenes but fear just looked boring. look i dont claim to be an amazing artist but im not bad at illustration and photography and i can look at guys like jack, caretaker, storyteller hell even lady luck or the usher yeah i can work on that i can use that as a base to create something that is unsettling. fear not so much

maybe thats just showing lack f skills on my part or that the design just didnt work i dont know.

In short, you can be satisfied with less, but I won't be, and I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not demanding more.
Look I would be happy if they added more content to the site or created more artwork but I'm really just more interested in the event. I didn't mean the term filler in a bad way it's just how these type of events are designed. Scare zones are one of those things that helps them stretch their budget and make a more well rounded event. The marketing world has also changed over time there is far less emphasis on websites now days and much more emphasis on social media. I guess to me not having some art work or a back story on a website is not so much a decline of the event but more like a growing pain. The event most certainly is not in decline. I think they still have that attention to detail they are just focusing it on the actual event and leave the marketing to others. Think about it if you were a designer would you rather build a website or design a house.

Why is Fear considered one of the worst icons? I didn't go that year but I liked the idea behind him. Was it executed badly?

Basically. Turned into strictly a photo op with what felt like a Darkness* rip-off.

* (Tim Curry character in Legend, I know we have a lot of people under 35 on here).

Reactions: Clive
I think it is even a little bit insulting for the actors working the streets to refer to them as "Filler" Some of my best memories are from the streets.

Agreed, the zones are what sets HHN apart from every other local haunt around the country. The best scares I've seen were in zones, not houses. A good zone is as memorable as a house.

I'd also add, referring back to the quoted post, a lot more people go to HHN just for Bill & Ted than go because they played some website game. I know the show gets a ton of online hate for reasons I can't fathom, but it has a huge fan base. It's a lot more than "filler."

Agreed, the zones are what sets HHN apart from every other local haunt around the country. The best scares I've seen were in zones, not houses. A good zone is as memorable as a house.

I'd also add, referring back to the quoted post, a lot more people go to HHN just for Bill & Ted than go because they played some website game. I know the show gets a ton of online hate for reasons I can't fathom, but it has a huge fan base. It's a lot more than "filler."
Bill & Ted is the reason I go, if they ever cancelled it I would not go to HHN unless I got a free ticket or something. Even I can recognize that the houses are the key elements of this event. The scare zones and shows help to round it out and make it the great event it is they are the C and D tickets of HHN. They're an essential part of the event but from a design perspective they are filler in the respect that they give the general guest other things to do while attending between houses.

Last edited:
Bill & Ted is the reason I go, if they ever cancelled it I would not go to HHN unless I got a free ticket or something. Even I can recognize that the houses are the key elements of this event. The scare zones and shows help to round it out and make it the great event it is they are the C and D tickets of HHN. They're an essential part of the event but from a design perspective they are filler in the respect that they give the general guest other things to do while attending between houses.

Did you just tell us you only go for the filler? ;)

Reactions: SeventyOne
ok with the event getting closer and wanting to try and add to the hype, ive started doing some research and sketches of the icons and looking at the vast catalog of characters i just gotta ask

how in the blue hell has universal not got sued over the character of chance. i mean a female clown who is completely mental, murders and has a flirty cute bubbly sexy personality. hmm sounds really really familiar lol

Just got confirmation that Escape from Gringott's is scheduled to be open until midnight for each event night. Of course, anything is subject to change, but as of now that's the plan.

I suspected this would happen, similar to how Transformers was open at the event until midnight most nights for its inaugural year. A very, very good move.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts