Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 127 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Again, the entrance to a place seriously sets the mood - it is, overall, the first impression we get of the event. I know the lighting will be cool, and I know the music will be cool, but the visuals are seriously lacking. It's not even a 3D sign under the arch... And this is their 25th anniversary.
To be fair there is far more present in the arch than there was last year when the arch decorations first went up. I think we should wait until they're done to judge this.

To be fair there is far more present in the arch than there was last year when the arch decorations first went up. I think we should wait until they're done to judge this.

I agree, but I think people are more annoyed that they reused the janky "chain link fence" frames from 2013 rather than using the carnival motif.

I wouldn't say haters, as I think anyone over 18 who uses the word haters deserves to have them, but I get Tue impression that there are more than a few uni fanbuys who'd be happier doing something else, that doesn't elicit such pissing and moaning.

I agree, but I think people are more annoyed that they reused the janky "chain link fence" frames from 2013 rather than using the carnival motif.

Yeah, the chain thing is off putting, but I am willing to wait in the hopes that they either A) hear the fans and change things B) have a grander design in mind or C) both A and B. Honestly, here's to hoping for C!

By the way, thank you Fallow for reminding me of the first year they stopped really doing front arch decorations, 2009 was the last year I remembered one but I had no memory of the 2010 arch so I did not want to speak out of turn.

Well obviously it's not done but I'm kind of thinking that the carnival motif is very cheap and inexpensive so I can easily see them draping some circus tent like stuff over all of this. They typically also put some more prop like decorations on ground level as well.

Hinky is a word detectives in bad novels use to describe things that are suspiciously off-putting.

I wouldn't say haters, as I think anyone over 18 who uses the word haters deserves to have them, but I get Tue impression that there are more than a few uni fanbuys who'd be happier doing something else, that doesn't elicit such pissing and moaning.

I only say "haters" because that's what those critical of HHN are referred to on the Twitter. I can barely say it with a straight face.

When are people going to understand that people critique Universal/HHN out of love for the product and the brand, and only want it to be as good as it can be (and once was)?

Reactions: Cole
Halloween Horror Nights has a really bad habit of basing houses on movies that aren't available via streaming.

When are people going to understand that people critique Universal/HHN out of love for the product and the brand, and only want it to be as good as it can be (and once was)?
I ultimately don't care that much about the entrance, website, artwork etc. but I agree don't hate the "haters". You can be very critical and still love something at the same time. I think we just have to keep things in perspective a little.

Reactions: ChaseTuff
I think it works. Just look at all the metal work on Jack's stage seems to compliment that well. I think you have to ask, if you didn't know it was re-used from previous years what would you think of it?

Whether or not I had seen last year's (and I honestly did not place them until someone pointed it out) I would say that if they are done decorating the entrance and that is what they have come up with, I do not get a Jack or carnival vibe from it at all. At this point, I am hoping there is more to come that will give off more of a 2007 vibe (at the very least, the carnival tent above the posters would do wonders).

I would say that if they are done decorating the entrance and that is what they have come up with, I do not get a Jack or carnival vibe from it at all.
I don't think in recent years they have ever been "done" in one night. They are working on an accelerated schedule this year so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Halloween Horror Nights has a really bad habit of basing houses on movies that aren't available via streaming.
Insidious Chapter 2 is on Netflix, AWIL on Prime, and TWD S5 will be on Netflix at the end of the month. Netflix used to have all the Friday the 13th movies until a couple months ago.

Yeah, the chain thing is off putting, but I am willing to wait in the hopes that they either A) hear the fans and change things B) have a grander design in mind or C) both A and B. Honestly, here's to hoping for C!

I don't think in recent years they have ever been "done" in one night.

I know, which is why I had that in my first post.

It has been pointed out in the past that A&D reads the forums and picks up on what fans like and dislike. Usually when I input a negative opinion, I try to point out why and what they could do to improve things. Now, I understand that this late in the game there is only so much they can do (accelerated schedule as you pointed out) but at the very least they should know that we fans like what they have done with the entrance arches in the past (pre 2010 as Fallow pointed out) and would love to see them return to a similar idea. The opening arch design/mini scarezone was a great idea that has not been used in recent years and I hope for a return to it sometime soon. With this being the 25th, I had hoped it would be this year and I am eagerly waiting to see if it makes a comeback.

Reactions: s8film40
I ultimately don't care that much about the entrance, website, artwork etc. but I agree don't hate the "haters". You can be very critical and still love something at the same time. I think we just have to keep things in perspective a little.

Agreed. In my opinion (Keyword: opinion), The entrance, website, artwork, etc. are just the covers to the big HHN book. And the old saying is you should never judge a book by it's cover. To me, the insides of the HHN book are the houses and scarezones themselves, which I think we have the best lineup since 2011. I do think they will add more to the entrance though.

Reactions: s8film40
I can hardly even recall the arches, except the Bloody Mary footage on the screens was especially eerie and slightly disturbing. That was a great year for marketing.

But honestly, I usually just worry about the most convenient way to get in. Remember when they used to let you in via the Blue Man Group entrance? Le sigh.

Reactions: Cole
Can someone post some past pictures of the really good and really bad arches of the past? So some of us who don't go a lot can get some perspective.

I am at work so I have no access to my photos but here is what I have gathered via the interwebs:
2007 : by day
latest

by night:
6012220455_c4bf49a516_z.jpg

2008: I cannot find any good pictures.
2009 (put up with the shaky cam for the first minute, it gets better after that):

2010:
hqdefault.jpg

2011: I cannot find any good pics

2012:
dsc08891_0.jpg

2013: If the roots related to the event at all this would have been a good recent one.
Entrance-JPG.jpg

2014:
entrance-hhn.jpg

Reactions: snayberry