Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 146 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Very good points that I also hadn't thought of. I fly in every year for a half week and I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth if I don't see every house every night I'm there. That being said, I skipped RHPS every year and only watched Bill & Ted once per year, so for locals who couldn't care less about some of these things, it definitely throws another dynamic into these hypotheticals.
RHPS was a waste of time in a theme park environment, even one as rowdy as HHN. Carnage is. Which only means more to cram into one night.

HHN is slowly turning to the Disney way of doing things...less effort for more money while getting bigger than they can handle. I get it, its a business, but for an event that already costs extra money, it seems extra ridiculous that you can only enjoy the $100+ you spend by spending an additional $100. At least at Disney's upcharge events, they cap the ticket sales at a reasonable level to where the park is actually moderately enjoyable.

That's a terrible comparison. Sorry. The houses are attractions themselves.. and HHN is packed with now 9 of those attractions, two shows, scare zones and streetmosphere, etc. That is worth the charge. You can do all the houses if you're at the gate right at opening and spend the whole night there. You can also take advantage of any kind of early entry via Passholder nights, Stay & Scream, etc. Is it relaxed and enjoyable this way? No, it's actually takes strategy and could be stressful. That's where Express comes in for those who prefer to waltz in at the times they do and still see everything.

How you can compare that to Disney who charges a ticket price for a castle show, parade, fireworks, some extra meet-and-greets, and candy? I love Not-So-Scary but let's be real here. You're getting way more bang for your buck, as an upcharge event, at HHN.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think this argument holds water. For the price you're paying, you deserve to be able to enjoy a good amount of the attractions. Even if thats not the case, the park isn't enjoyable when it's super packed, regardless of how many houses you get to go through. I have to pay full price this year, I don't want to have to wade through masses of people just to get from point A to point B. It's not just about how many houses you can do, it's about Universal's blatant disregard for guest comfort and value in order to sell more Express passes.

You do not think that seeing 3-4 Houses, 3-4 Rides, seeing several ScareZones and a show or 2 all the while enjoying the company of the friends you are with is not a "Good Amount" of attractions...?

During the day Universal offers Barney, Fievfel (sp? wtf idk), Twister, Disaster, etc; do you go see EVERYTHING they offer? Or simply what interests you? If you do NOT see everything (regardless of desire) do you feel gypped?

Disregard for guest comfort? I'm sorry - but it's supply and demand. The event is only open x amount of days. God forbid it's busy. You complaining about wading thru crowds is simply a 1st world problem.

BTW: "For the price you are paying?" Good god, some people don't know how good they have it. I work at one of the Top Haunted Attractions in the Nation and people pay $30 to walk thru it ONCE. So, when people pay $50-$60 and they get shows and streets and world-class rides and TOP NOTCH Haunted Houses it's a STEAL.

Very good points that I also hadn't thought of. I fly in every year for a half week and I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth if I don't see every house every night I'm there. That being said, I skipped RHPS every year and only watched Bill & Ted once per year, so for locals who couldn't care less about some of these things, it definitely throws another dynamic into these hypotheticals.

I fly in every year from ATL and I will see every house at least twice each night attend. Why? Because I'm a maniac. I have Express. I do Stay and Scream. And I do not stop. I do not see shows. I do not quit moving. And I am in the minorty.

Reactions: snayberry
That's a terrible comparison. Sorry. The houses are attractions themselves.. and HHN is packed with now 9 of those attractions, two shows, scare zones and streetmosphere, etc. That is worth the charge. You can do all the houses if you're at the gate right at opening and spend the whole night there. You can also take advantage of any kind of early entry via Passholder nights, Stay & Scream, etc. Is it relaxed and enjoyable this way? No, it's actually takes strategy and could be stressful. That's where Express comes in for those who prefer to waltz in at the times they do and still see everything.

How you can compare that to Disney who charges a ticket price for a castle show, parade, fireworks, some extra meet-and-greets, and candy? I love Not-So-Scary but let's be real here. You're getting way more bang for your buck, as an upcharge event, at HHN.
Two different comparisons...never said Mickey's Halloween specifically was a good value, just that at least they have the sense to provide a pleasant environment when charging people extra (by not overbooking the hell out of the place).
HHN isn't like Disney in how they do upcharge events, tho. They're like Disney in that they have been overcharging for overcrowded places, and forcing people into ridiculous over planning. You said yourself, you have to get there at opening and have a game plan to get the full night's worth...ring any bells about the incessant qualms over MM+?

Two different comparisons...never said Mickey's Halloween specifically was a good value, just that at least they have the sense to provide a pleasant environment when charging people extra (by not overbooking the hell out of the place).
HHN isn't like Disney in how they do upcharge events, tho. They're like Disney in that they have been overcharging for overcrowded places, and forcing people into ridiculous over planning. You said yourself, you have to get there at opening and have a game plan to get the full night's worth...ring any bells about the incessant qualms over MM+?

Well then you can say the same thing about any theme park during the summer or the holidays. It's not a problem that there's a lot to do and some planning is involved. You think everybody walking into Epcot is getting on Soarin'? Or MK onto the Mine Train?

You do not think that seeing 3-4 Houses, 3-4 Rides, seeing several ScareZones and a show or 2 all the while enjoying the company of the friends you are with is not a "Good Amount" of attractions...?

During the day Universal offers Barney, Fievfel (sp? wtf idk), Twister, Disaster, etc; do you go see EVERYTHING they offer? Or simply what interests you? If you do NOT see everything (regardless of desire) do you feel gypped?

Disregard for guest comfort? I'm sorry - but it's supply and demand. The event is only open x amount of days. God forbid it's busy. You complaining about wading thru crowds is simply a 1st world problem.

BTW: "For the price you are paying?" Good god, some people don't know how good they have it. I work at one of the Top Haunted Attractions in the Nation and people pay $30 to walk thru it ONCE. So, when people pay $50-$60 and they get shows and streets and world-class rides and TOP NOTCH Haunted Houses it's a STEAL.

1. Your hypothetical example isn't like some real life guideline of what you can get done in one night. On a peak night, you can do much less than that on average, don't kid yourself.

2. No, but I don't have to swim through hoardes of people or wait at least an hour for every single thing that I do choose to do. Straw man.

3. Ok, doesn't make the complaint any less valid

4. Value is all about perception. I wouldnt go to that house that you work at, just because some people do doesn't mean that it's what I should see as valuable.

Oh and 5.) Calm down bud. I was respectful in my post to you even if it was a disagreement. No need to go overboard. I took a break for a little bit, forgot that you people take parks SO freakin seriously.

Well then you can say the same thing about any theme park during the summer or the holidays. It's not a problem that there's a lot to do and some planning is involved. You think everybody walking into Epcot is getting on Soarin'? Or MK onto the Mine Train?

No, but it's not about being able to do *everything*...it's about being able to get in smoothly and not being suffocated by people.

1. Your hypothetical example isn't like some real life guideline of what you can get done in one night. On a peak night, you can do much less than that on average, don't kid yourself.
If you are doing much less than that you are lolligagging.

2. No, but I don't have to swim through hoardes of people or wait at least an hour for every single thing that I do choose to do. Straw man.
True. But the park is 365. This is a special event.

3. Ok, doesn't make the complaint any less valid
I agree. It's busy. It's also the #1 Haunted Event in the Nation.

4. Value is all about perception. I wouldnt go to that house that you work at, just because some people do doesn't mean that it's what I should see as valuable.
My point exactly. Value is perception. Your perception is that for $60 you are owed a quaint environment that isn't crowded in which you can casually stroll through the park and see 9 haunted houses, 2 shows, 5 scarezones and 6 rides is your perception.

As far as the "some" do....we are the most visited haunted attraction in the entire nation. A LOT of people do. It's not uncommon for a Haunted House to charge $20-$30.

Oh and 5.) Calm down bud. I was respectful in my post to you even if it was a disagreement. No need to go overboard. I took a break for a little bit, forgot that you people take parks SO freakin seriously.

My apologies. I did not mean to come off as disrespectful or overboard. And I do take HHN seriously. I've been going since I was 11. It's a huge part of who I am, in the same way sports are to some folks. To each their own.

The difference in day to day operations and HHN is not everything is new or promoted as such. At Uni during the day? People some could care less if they miss the entire park and spent the whole time in Diagon, because it's the newest thing and it's Potter. With HHN, everything is basically a brand new attraction and is promoted that way.

EVERYTHING is the newest thing during HHN.

And with that being the case, they people want to experience all there is to experience, because it's only there for so long. It's not like some $30 house which i'd bet is the same thing every year. Old Town has a house like that... it's great, the actors actually can touch you too. But it's year round and doesn't change. Not worth $30... no house is.

Last edited:
The difference in day to day operations and HHN is not everything is new or promoted as such. At Uni during the day? People some could care less if they miss the entire park and spent the whole time in Diagon, because it's the newest thing and it's Potter. With HHN, everything is basically a brand new attraction and is promoted that way.

EVERYTHING is the newest thing during HHN.

And with that being the case, they people want to experience all there is to experience, because it's only there for so long. It's not like some $30 house which i'd bet is the same thing every year. Old Town has a house like that... it's great, the actors actually can touch you too. But it's year round and doesn't change. Not worth $30... no house is.

With your logic, why does HRRR still have mega-waits at HHN, if it is hardly the newest thing in the park?

People want to experience all that they WANT to experience. Most people go in mega-groups. Some people in those groups don't wanna see everything, nor do they enjoy everything. There's plenty of folks that get DRAGGED thru 1-2 haunts and are DONE afterwards. I do not believe people's happiness is contingent on whether or not they have FOMO.

The Haunted House that I work at changes every year and, like HHN, it is something that people come to year after year after year. Our house isn't year round, it's only open every day in October. Closer to Halloween the wait will easily approach 5-6 hours.

Exactly. Yet you can get into Horror Nights for as low as $45 for a one-night ticket for AP holders (just to compare, the lowest you'll get into Not-So-Scary for is $63 with a DVC or AP discount). So the answer may be to raise ticket prices across the board, yes. But I don't think they're currently overcharging, definitely not at current prices.

With your logic, why does HRRR still have mega-waits at HHN, if it is hardly the newest thing in the park?

People want to experience all that they WANT to experience. Most people go in mega-groups. Some people in those groups don't wanna see everything, nor do they enjoy everything. There's plenty of folks that get DRAGGED thru 1-2 haunts and are DONE afterwards. I do not believe people's happiness is contingent on whether or not they have FOMO.

The Haunted House that I work at changes every year and, like HHN, it is something that people come to year after year after year. Our house isn't year round, it's only open every day in October. Closer to Halloween the wait will easily approach 5-6 hours.
1. HRRR is at the front of the part and you can see it from the walk in. First timers normally have at least one person in their party that want to do it.

2. 5-6 hour waits for a house is stupid long. Maybe you live in the boonies or something where there's nothing better to do, but that's beyond me right there.

Exactly. Yet you can get into Horror Nights for as low as $45 for a one-night ticket for AP holders (just to compare, the lowest you'll get into Not-So-Scary for is $63 with a DVC or AP discount). So the answer may be to raise ticket prices across the board, yes. But I don't think they're currently overcharging, definitely not at current prices.
Honestly, neither do I. HHN is a good value for what it is. The problem is that you don't get to enjoy it at that value where it becomes a good deal with the way they are packing the park. Like it's been said earlier, their strategy IS to overcrowd the place so you're forced into buying Express passes. If they absolutely NEED to get $200 from people in attendance to make a profit, I would much rather pay that upfront for a less-crowded experience than be forced into spending extra money once I'm in the gate. It's not that I think HHN is a bad time, I really do love it. But that's a slimy approach to take. Regardless of supply and demand, other comparable events, etc. Universal knows what they're doing and it puts the guests at a disadvantage.

I think they intentionally undercharge for HHN. Unlike MNSSHP or other theme park events they make a TON of money off the Food/drink sales. I think they want as many people in the park as possible for this reason. Low prices, FFP, Coke can promotions etc. all help to fill the park with as much potential revenue as possible.

Reactions: *Q*
1. HRRR is at the front of the part and you can see it from the walk in. First timers normally have at least one person in their party that want to do it.

But, what does that have to do with your "new" argument...?

2. 5-6 waits for a house is stupid long. Maybe you live in the boonies or something where there's nothing better to do, but that's beyond me right there.

We are located in Atlanta, GA and are consistently rated as one of, if not THE, Top Haunted Attraction in the Industry. We are visited by pretty much every Haunted House in the Nation and are visited pretty much every year by members of creative for both HoS and HHN.

You must have just joined this conversation. That was our (or at least my) original point of contention... they're charging too little and RoF is way too much of a steal.

We are located in Atlanta, GA and are consistently rated as one of, if not THE, Top Haunted Attraction in the Industry. We are visited by pretty much every Haunted House in the Nation and are visited pretty much every year by members of creative for both HoS and HHN.
I'm not saying anything against the haunt. I'm sure it's great if HOS and HHN people come to take a peak and you're highly rated.

My point was, for no haunt, no matter how good I was told it is, would I ever wait 5-6 hours for.

My point was, for no haunt, no matter how good I was told it is, would I ever wait 5-6 hours for.

And there's 20,000 people who do. That's the thing about the Haunt Industry - these things come and they go. People are willing to wait and willing to pay and willing to do whatever to simply see them before they go.

I wouldn't wait 20 minutes for the Haunted House I work in...I think it's stupid as farfanoogin. But to each their own. And that's the thing about the Haunt Industry. There are so many factors into what forms people's happiness and their overall experience.

If I had to wager a guess it, Fatality is saying they work at either Netherworld, which is a pretty big deal and certainly not in the boonies.

Some really good points have been brought up. We have it really good with HHN, and we are absolutely lucky to have it. The price is most certainly worth it in my opinion. I'm not trying to be a fanboy or anything here. Yes we complain about it being crowded, flashlight brigade, etc. Some good points have been brought up about differences between this and other world class haunts, MNSSHP, and the like. The thing is HHN is not like any other event there is. It is the only place to have new houses every year, new scarezones every year, top caliber rides, and so on. If they were to increase the ticket prices to be much higher and reduce the number available we would complain the prices are too high or that they are sold out. The fact that we have the option to buy express pass tickets so that we can choose what to do is a big deal, and it allows people that aren't die hards to do what they want like they would a normal theme park, but still allow those of us that do want to do all the houses, shows, and scarezones a way that we can do it too. It allows the park and the event to grow based on demand and what people want. We have already had it extend park hours, add an additional house, add a show that most agree is worth watching. They are listening to us and they are doing everything they can as fast as they can to make us happy. Look at the Mayhem house, how many of those were houses from the very lists on this site.