Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I very highly doubt that will ever happen. Alcohol is a major part of this event both in terms of revenue and the reason people go. While there are a few issues like this they are mostly always addressed and Universal does a great job of putting security and police in place so they are there to handle the issues as they arise. The police response time pretty much anywhere throughout the park could be measured in seconds.

Hollywood doesn't sell alcohol. I think there is a line that needs to be crossed, but what is it?

Hollywood doesn't sell alcohol. I think there is a line that needs to be crossed, but what is it?
I didn't know that, that probably explains why they don't have FFP as widely available there. I guess the line would be something really bad happening that gets pretty widespread media attention. Discontinuing selling alcohol would mean a very significant decrease in revenue and attendance, I'm sure that would in turn lead to a reduced budget for the event. Eliminating alcohol would probably be the beginning of the end of HHN as we know it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I didn't know that, that probably explains why they don't have FFP as widely available there. I guess the line would be something really bad happening that gets pretty widespread media attention. Discontinuing selling alcohol would mean a very significant decrease in revenue and attendance, I'm sure that would in turn lead to a reduced budget for the event. Eliminating alcohol would probably be the beginning of the end of HHN as we know it.

I don't think a scaling back or reduced budget would happen. Would it be the end of HHN as we know it? Hell yeah. But what if its next form is an even better event? I love my drinking at HHN, but I'm responsible and not an ass when drunk. I think alcohol related incidents are a bigger threat to the event than construction or any of the other reasons brought up.

I don't think a scaling back or reduced budget would happen. Would it be the end of HHN as we know it? Hell yeah. But what if its next form is an even better event? I love my drinking at HHN, but I'm responsible and not an ass when drunk. I think alcohol related incidents are a bigger threat to the event than construction or any of the other reasons brought up.

I think a happy medium is to cut back on the pop-up bars, and just serve alcohol where you would normally (Finn's, Duff, Chez Alcatraz). Maybe do 1-2 pop-up bars max.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
There is absolutely no way Universal would do this unless something truly catastrophic happens. I think this is the primary reason they have so many police and security present, because they know if something really bad happens they might have to make changes and lose out on revenue. I don't know the numbers but it wouldn't surprise me at all if alcohol is the number one revenue generator for HHN, the markup is high and the lines at the vast number of bars can be huge and consistent throughout the night. While I agree reducing the number of pop up bars could be a compromise that makes it look like they are addressing the issue while still keeping the alcohol available it would certainly create a mess with lines at the bars that are available. If alcohol were eliminated I could see the event going to 3-4 weeks with probably somewhere around 5 houses 1 show and a couple scare zones. There's absolutely no way for revenue to take a huge slashing and still keep the same budget.

There is absolutely no way Universal would do this unless something truly catastrophic happens. I think this is the primary reason they have so many police and security present, because they know if something really bad happens they might have to make changes and lose out on revenue. I don't know the numbers but it wouldn't surprise me at all if alcohol is the number one revenue generator for HHN, the markup is high and the lines at the vast number of bars can be huge and consistent throughout the night. While I agree reducing the number of pop up bars could be a compromise that makes it look like they are addressing the issue while still keeping the alcohol available it would certainly create a mess with lines at the bars that are available. If alcohol were eliminated I could see the event going to 3-4 weeks with probably somewhere around 5 houses 1 show and a couple scare zones. There's absolutely no way for revenue to take a huge slashing and still keep the same budget.

I think you're giving alcohol sales way too much impact on the event.

It certainly helps revenue, and is a big chunk, but it wouldn't cause them to cut 4 houses and a few scarezones. :lol:

Alcohol was cutback not too long ago. I believe HHN 17 or 18 was the first year they cut a a lot of bars and shot girls. Didn't impact the event at all.

I think you're giving alcohol sales way too much impact on the event.

It certainly helps revenue, and is a big chunk, but it wouldn't cause them to cut 4 houses and a few scarezones. :lol:
Yeah I don't know the numbers so obviously I can't say anything for fact. You certainly could be right that I am giving alcohol too much credit, I don't know. I have stood and watched the bars they seem to keep a consistent line and they don't exactly seem to be working slow. Like I said though I think there are two sides to it, first the loss of revenue in selling alcohol and second the drop in attendance. There are a good number of people who go to HHN just for the "party" aspect of it, they think it's a good way to hang out with friends and drink. Take the revenue + attendance away created by alcohol and I can't see them not losing a house or two or perhaps a reduced number of actors employed. You just can't cut off a large revenue source and keeping the spending the same.

All that being said this is really just hypothetical, I don't think there's any chance of it happening.

Yeah I don't know the numbers so obviously I can't say anything for fact. You certainly could be right that I am giving alcohol too much credit, I don't know. I have stood and watched the bars they seem to keep a consistent line and they don't exactly seem to be working slow. Like I said though I think there are two sides to it, first the loss of revenue in selling alcohol and second the drop in attendance. There are a good number of people who go to HHN just for the "party" aspect of it, they think it's a good way to hang out with friends and drink. Take the revenue + attendance away created by alcohol and I can't see them not losing a house or two or perhaps a reduced number of actors employed. You just can't cut off a large revenue source and keeping the spending the same.

All that being said this is really just hypothetical, I don't think there's any chance of it happening.

I'm not saying to cut alcohol completely. It just has to get rid of this whole "we can get drunk because screw rules" stigma that a certain percentage of people have with HHN. Only way I can see that is less promotion of alcohol sales.

I'm not saying to cut alcohol completely. It just has to get rid of this whole "we can get drunk because screw rules" stigma that a certain percentage of people have with HHN. Only way I can see that is less promotion of alcohol sales.
Yeah, I think what your suggesting would be the way they would go if they have to do it. They could remove the blood bags from the streets and most of the pop up bars to diminish the perception that they are pushing the alcohol sales. Those who want to drink can still get it, they just have to go a little out of their way and wait in longer lines. Again though I don't think this would happen unless it was in reaction to some sort of incident.

So is there anything that happens at HHN that doesn't happen at a bar every night? Yeah some people are going to get rowdy and some may throw up, but that life at an alcoholic adult event. Last year, I had someone try to steal my Mr. Stay Puff Marshmallow man (that I won at HHN) at Pat O'Briens. It was after HHN at 2 in the morning and the person was very drunk, but stuff like that happens when you have alcohol. This year, I witnessed some rowdy folks in line and had someone throw up next to me at the Carnage show. In both instances security and maintenance were right on it. If anything they could cut out the temp beer carts located in the lines. This way you wouldn't see people chugging drinks at the last minute before entering a house.

I will say they were very strict this year on getting drinks. When I was getting drinks for myself and my wife, she would have to not only be present to show her ID, but actually be there to take the drink from the server.

I will say they were very strict this year on getting drinks. When I was getting drinks for myself and my wife, she would have to not only be present to show her ID, but actually be there to take the drink from the server.

That's how it's been since I've been able to drink at the event.

So is there anything that happens at HHN that doesn't happen at a bar every night? Yeah some people are going to get rowdy and some may throw up, but that life at an alcoholic adult event. Last year, I had someone try to steal my Mr. Stay Puff Marshmallow man (that I won at HHN) at Pat O'Briens. It was after HHN at 2 in the morning and the person was very drunk, but stuff like that happens when you have alcohol. This year, I witnessed some rowdy folks in line and had someone throw up next to me at the Carnage show. In both instances security and maintenance were right on it. If anything they could cut out the temp beer carts located in the lines. This way you wouldn't see people chugging drinks at the last minute before entering a house.

That's the problem. It is not an alcoholic adult event. It is a mature Halloween event in a theme park that just so happens to serve alcohol.

Reactions: Clive
So is there anything that happens at HHN that doesn't happen
at a bar every night
? Yeah some people are going to get rowdy and some may throw up, but that life at an alcoholic adult event. Last year, I had someone try to steal my Mr. Stay Puff Marshmallow man (that I won at HHN) at Pat O'Briens. It was after HHN at 2 in the morning and the person was very drunk, but stuff like that happens when you have alcohol. This year, I witnessed some rowdy folks in line and had someone throw up next to me at the Carnage show. In both instances security and maintenance were right on it. If anything they could cut out the temp beer carts located in the lines. This way you wouldn't see people chugging drinks at the last minute before entering a house.

Yeah well the biggest difference is that at a bar you DONT have zombies, purgers, demons, clowns with chainsaws or movie characters chasing AFTER You.................................................:confused:
Or have buildings full of strobe lights and fog and loud noises and werewolf puppets now... do they?
There is clearly a big difference with a bar or a club and a HORROR haunt event... can't believe you are even comparing the two.
besides, Bars at least are 18 AND OVER... 18 AND OVER...........:mad:

At HHN you have both the environment of a bar full of drunks, a regular FAMILY theme park and a playground for kids (Since so many young people are going now)

I am actually shocked there aren't that many big accidents or problems when you combined all these things together. if you think about it on a technical level, it is a truly miracle that you don't have more injured people or people getting into fights or kids getting hurt.

Universal always tries to have its cake and eat it too.... They won't make the event 15 AND UP, ( or 18 AND UP even) , but they also won't stop selling as much booze as they do, and now, these past couple of years thanks to Walking Dead they are not even putting a limit on how many tickets they sell...... they wont cap the ticket sales. they are juggling so many balls I seriously am amazed things run so smoothly at the event.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive
I think they should implement a drink card or something of that nature. Hole punch the card too much and no more beer. Because alcohol makes money, it's fun to drink and HHN wouldn't be the same without it to most people. A strong limit would only make it more enjoyable for everyone else

I think they should implement a drink card or something of that nature. Hole punch the card too much and no more beer. Because alcohol makes money, it's fun to drink and HHN wouldn't be the same without it to most people. A strong limit would only make it more enjoyable for everyone else

One person's two beers is another's 10. Also trading cards, buying for other people, etc

I definitely think removing a few of the pop up bars would be helpful, especially the ones in the queues.
It's a Halloween event, first and foremost. I'm all for people enjoying a few drinks while they hang out with friends and having a good time, but when they get sloppy or violent then it's just annoying (and dangerous) for both the actors and the other attendees.

Lots of strobe lights, fog and loud noise in dance clubs and bars, but I see your point that people are not jumping out at you at a bar (in most cases :ack:). I have never thought that bringing a child (under 13) was appropriate for the event even without alcohol. Ideally they would only allow 18 and up in the event, but I dont really see that happening.

I have attended 30+ HHN days total and have only seen a handful of incidents , all of which were pretty minor and the UO staff were on it right away. I know that anecdotal, but it seems like they have the measures in place to handle a few unruly guests.

My guess is if they really have that much of an issue with alcohol, they would just cut down on carts and raise the prices to decrease the demand, while keeping the bottom line up.

Lots of strobe lights, fog and loud noise in dance clubs and bars, but I see your point that people are not jumping out at you at a bar (in most cases :ack:). I have never thought that bringing a child (under 13) was appropriate for the event even without alcohol. Ideally they would only allow 18 and up in the event, but I dont really see that happening.

I have attended 30+ HHN days total and have only seen a handful of incidents , all of which were pretty minor and the UO staff were on it right away. I know that anecdotal, but it seems like they have the measures in place to handle a few unruly guests.

My guess is if they really have that much of an issue with alcohol, they would just cut down on carts and raise the prices to decrease the demand, while keeping the bottom line up.

yeah Universal has been extremely lucky (Or well prepared) when it comes to accidents or fights or people injured, including actors.
I have no idea how they manage to keep the accidents on the low side with the amount of drinks sold and the amount of people going every night. Because you are right about never seeing that many incidents.

maybe they don't need to make any changes, seeing how "good" things have been when it comes to drunk people, it's not like they could do anything
they need the money from the booze sales, and they won't turn down kids under 18 to the park, (more money) dont see what solution there could be,

if I'm not mistaken "accidents" aren't on the low side - they're just incredibly fast at responding and whisking folks away. Every house has security guards and uniformed police. Troublemakers are taken care of - and due to intoxication their defenses of their actions are dull and void.

Isn't there an astonishing amount of arrests and lifetime bans at HHN? One year I could've sworn Orlando PD had a mini-precinct of sorts to the far right of the entrance gates and they processed / arrested a lotttttttt of people.

That's the problem. It is not an alcoholic adult event. It is a mature Halloween event in a theme park that just so happens to serve alcohol.

I can guarantee you Universal doesn't see it that way. My first job at Universal was in food service and we all had to take a class during Orientation on ID-checking...when it came to talking about HHN, what did the teacher say? "Halloween Horror Nights is, for most people, a party."

Hell, I'm pretty sure they attribute a lot of Cabana's off-season success to selling rooms to people who want to get drunk at HHN and don't want to drive home.

They will never stop selling or reduce the amount of alcohol they sell at HHN barring some major incident, and maybe not even then. I'm absolutely sure of that.