Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 143 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Until they give us the "Full Reveal" which should be the final website update.... It's gonna stay speculation.

Also, I said I didn't want to see any debates on whether Pulse's tragedy should impact the event. I promise you, next time I see it brought up, it's a week ban automatically.

As far as Walking Dead, there is a story to be shared... but it's not to be told now. However, I believe this is it based on tales from around the way.

Sorry to come back to this question again, but (apart from the routing of the queue lines) another thing up for discussion is whether or not there will be some sort of opening scaremony?

Chance's scarezone IS at the front of the park and supposedly she will be a barker somewhere in said zone, so how cool would it be to have her participate in some mini show at the opening before heading back to her scarezone?

After at least 3 years of some sort of opening show, I assume this is a lock. May just be a pre-recorded Chance monologue tho. The few times I've been caught out there, always surprised how effective these are in ramping the crowd up (many who have been there at least an hour in sweltering heat).

As far as Walking Dead, there is a story to be shared... but it's not to be told now. However, I believe this is it based on tales from around the way.

Is this anything to do with the rumor of AHS being the next yearly returning IP?

Honestly, given the sheer variety of material AHS gives them to work with, having it be the new yearly IP is fine by me. I do not even like the show that much, but there are so many interesting visuals to work with that it is hard not to see the advantage of having this as a returning IP year after year.

After at least 3 years of some sort of opening show, I assume this is a lock. May just be a pre-recorded Chance monologue tho. The few times I've been caught out there, always surprised how effective these are in ramping the crowd up (many who have been there at least an hour in sweltering heat).
Me too, I just hope it is better than Jack's half baked opening scaremony last year (I mean, when TWD has a more thrilling opening scaremony than your Icon, that is a sad state of events).

Last edited:
Me too! Meetz Meats was one of the first queue videos I ever saw and I loved it; nevermind the even more superior HR Bloodengutz which I could have happily watched over and over.

My main concern for this years event is for Ghost Town as I have been told that queue video was amazing and I am expecting them to either bring the exact same video back or make a new one.

In a sense, they have had queue videos, but they are not as widespread or lengthy as they have been in the past. The Halloween and La Llorona projection mapping were technically queue videos, but they were nowhere near the production value of say Cabin in the Woods or Run.

From what I have been told, every year A&D is given a new budget that they are not supposed to exceed. Things like queue videos, IPs, and website extras all come out of that budget. Therefore, they try to best stretch the dollars they have so as to make a great event. I will grant, this information is pre-Comcast days, but I assume it is still accurate (unless someone knows otherwise?)

I *loved* the HR Bloodengutz Holidays house queue video.

The current HHN website is so boring and bland. I miss the days where the website felt like an invitation. It would hype up the event.

I honestly could care less about the interactive website. Sure, they were great but they do cost a decent amount of money and take a lot of time. However, I REALLY miss the backstory that they brought with them. I would love if they would just give each house it's own simple webpage with the artwork they have already made and give us some backstory for the originals and some more Chance info.

I could also turn this around and say " I honestly could care less about the Backstory of the houses
why bother with giving them each their own page with elaborate artwork and more info. no one cares, most of the normies dont care about any of that. only the hardcore fans do. No one would pay any attention"

See how that works lol
uni probably thinks making a backstory is as pointless and a waste of time as making an interactive website

I could also turn this around and say " I honestly could care less about the Backstory of the houses
why bother with giving them each their own page with elaborate artwork and more info. no one cares, most of the normies dont care about any of that. only the hardcore fans do. No one would pay any attention"

See how that works lol
uni probably thinks making a backstory is as pointless and a waste of time as making an interactive website
I would say backstory is an important although not a necessary element. The ultimate way to have a house with a strong backstory is to base the house on an existing IP. The vast majority of the general public isn't going to go online and read up on the details of the backstory before heading to the event, there are however movies and shows that many people are already familiar with. This is where the IP houses have a true advantage, when the general public walks through the Walking Dead house they know what many of the scenes represent, subtle clues can signal certain things to set up for a more intense scare. Anticipation is a huge part of the scare factor and nothing can help do this better than when someone knows what's coming is something they are already scared of. In other words the argument for backstories in houses is essentially an argument of IP's over original content houses.

Reactions: Joel and RevFreako
I would say backstory is an important although not a necessary element. The ultimate way to have a house with a strong backstory is to base the house on an existing IP. The vast majority of the general public isn't going to go online and read up on the details of the backstory before heading to the event, there are however movies and shows that many people are already familiar with. This is where the IP houses have a true advantage, when the general public walks through the Walking Dead house they know what many of the scenes represent, subtle clues can signal certain things to set up for a more intense scare. Anticipation is a huge part of the scare factor and nothing can help do this better than when someone knows what's coming is something they are already scared of. In other words the argument for backstories in houses is essentially an argument of IP's over original content houses.

Speaking of back storyies/IPs...

My girlfriend works for a non-profit similar to make-a-wish where they send kids afflicted with NF and their families on vacations of a lifetime. Next week she's bringing a family to Universal (it was their dream vacation) for 5 days. I tried getting her to watch AHS Hotel last night and she started freaking out on me.. saying "how do you expect me to sleep by myself in a hotel for the next week" "you're f'n nuts" "no!" "i hate you".. etc..

the night ended with myself, a tub of ice cream, watching AHS by myself lol.. i have some makin' up to do this weekend :frown:

i dont deny that backstory is very important and very needed but I was pointing out that To Uni and to the normie audience backstory is as pointless to do as an interactive site.

Speaking of back storyies/IPs...

My girlfriend works for a non-profit similar to make-a-wish where they send kids afflicted with NF and their families on vacations of a lifetime. Next week she's bringing a family to Universal (it was their dream vacation) for 5 days. I tried getting her to watch AHS Hotel last night and she started freaking out on me.. saying "how do you expect me to sleep by myself in a hotel for the next week" "you're f'n nuts" "no!" "i hate you".. etc..

the night ended with myself, a tub of ice cream, watching AHS by myself lol.. i have some makin' up to do this weekend :frown:

:lol:

i dont deny that backstory is very important and very needed but I was pointing out that To Uni and to the normie audience backstory is as pointless to do as an interactive site.
Yeah, I agree. I think the reason though is because most people will never see it if it's just a write up on a website. However with an IP they get to build a house that can utilize backstory and a large percentage will go in knowing that backstory.

Reactions: Joel
It is just unfortunate for the die hard HHN fans that UO didn't continue to develop the interactive website and build up the backstories as they used to. This will be my 21st year of HHN and those elements added to the experience for me. Not to mention it made the event last for months prior to the event. But in the end I will continue to attend with or without those added elements.

I mean, there is one big thing left to speculate on, but most would find it boring:

QUEUE LAYOUTS!

Sadly, I actually find this interesting as it helps me plan my evening.

I'm curious... How do the layouts effect your event planning? I could understand wanting to know which house is located where. Depending on when you're attending, I would also imagine that you'd be curious about the average wait times for certain houses. That would possibly make a difference on the order you choose. I can't see how the queue layout would make a huge difference. Care to enlighten me with your thoughts?

Hell yah queue layouts!!!

Honestly though, I don't see them changing a whole lot this year vs how they were last year.

Obviously the big one is going to be is how Lunatics' Playground will be laid out.

I'm of the belief that they're going to have the line wrap around the back, and the big long lead we've seen in aerial shots will be the beginning (or possibly an extended queue/introduction to the house).

BTW is anyone else bothered by the bad grammar on the Lunatics' Playground logo?

I mean...where's the apostrophe?

My mock queue layout:

TxxRd78.jpg

SrAsuJ5.jpg

Reactions: Joel and DanB89