Halloween Horror Nights 27 (UO): Reviews & Photos | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 (UO): Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Could you list some of the songs that played at the entrance? There's one that I was looking for in particular that was really...groovy. Someone behind me said it was a Ted Nugent song.

I was not paying that much attention, I heard some of the same stuff up front.

I certainly heard Styx 'Renegade' in the Ash queue. When I left, I thought I heard Nugent's 'Stranglehold',but I never heard the lyrics.

Journey to the center of your mind I think is from the late sixties when Ted was in a band. Something like the Anboy Dukes. I found it funny as a knew some folks in the eighties who told me how 'out of place' Ted was with the 'other' bands playing some of those multi-band stadium shows.

Now days, everyone knows Ted's views, but they seem so out of place for a song like that one.

Me, there was a 13 year period of my life where I saw Phish around 80 times. The bass player (Mike) has a song called 'Mike's Song' that I believe he wrote when he was around 17 or 18 years old...Phish still plays that tune, but to me, it sounds like the main drive behind the song was influenced by the Nugent tune.

Edit, in Ash, I heard Back in Black by AC/DC, I think I heard a Highway to Hell (Bon Scott years) also by AC/DC...up front, I was puzzled in hearing Alice Cooper's 'Muscle of Love' cuz, why? Maybe that was for the stripper zone or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eckert
Very short review as I just got back from our two day trip (longer review to come):

• Blumhouse was my favorite house (completely unexpected. It felt unnerving, intense, scary. The Purge was, thankfully, super short), Hive and Ash v Evil Dead my next two
  • Dead Water was gorgeous, but overrated
  • The Shining I had mixed feelings on
  • Scarecrow wasn't that scary, love what they did outside the tent though
  • AHS was great (felt like an actual house, not just a photo-op house)
  • Saw was the weakest house (the GATs got me twice!)
  • The Fallen's characters were fantastic, though I think the house felt too "samey" overall
Scare zones:
  • Trick r Treat - breathtaking, beautiful, perfect. Great, great, great zone.
  • Invasion - cool idea, feels like it's missing something
  • The Purge - better than expected, but I'm tired of it being everywhere
  • Altars of Horror - cmon...
  • Festival of the Deadliest - I was happy to see it felt more "adult" and sort of a throw back to the older events, but wasn't that good
Best scare: B&T's explosion at the end

Drink changes were welcome, but we need the nurses. It's not HHN without them.

Intensity in the houses were THROUGH THE ROOF. THANK YOU.

Scare zones dragged down a good overall job in houses, so a 7/10 year. Wish there was an overarching theme and front gate decorations.

But I'm pleased :)

Very short review as I just got back from our two day trip (longer review to come):

• Blumhouse was my favorite house (completely unexpected. It felt unnerving, intense, scary. The Purge was, thankfully, super short), Hive and Ash v Evil Dead my next two
  • Dead Water was gorgeous, but overrated
  • The Shining I had mixed feelings on
  • Scarecrow wasn't that scary, love what they did outside the tent though
  • AHS was great (felt like an actual house, not just a photo-op house)
  • Saw was the weakest house (the GATs got me twice!)
  • The Fallen's characters were fantastic, though I think the house felt too "samey" overall
Scare zones:
  • Trick r Treat - breathtaking, beautiful, perfect. Great, great, great zone.
  • Invasion - cool idea, feels like it's missing something
  • The Purge - better than expected, but I'm tired of it being everywhere
  • Altars of Horror - cmon...
  • Festival of the Deadliest - I was happy to see it felt more "adult" and sort of a throw back to the older events, but wasn't that good
Best scare: B&T's explosion at the end

Drink changes were welcome, but we need the nurses. It's not HHN without them.

Intensity in the houses were THROUGH THE ROOF. THANK YOU.

Scare zones dragged down a good overall job in houses, so a 7/10 year. Wish there was an overarching theme and front gate decorations.

But I'm pleased :)

Who are you and what did you do with criticalanalysis?

Yeah the scarezones were Trick r’ Treat and the Purge far an above the rest. Altars is a joke and really needs to be rethought and redone as the event goes on. Festival is ok, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense outside of vampire strippers.

Trick r Treat is probably a top 3 zone for me of all my years of going.

Nice to be home again I imagine. I really enjoyed HHN this year! I don't take notes. I made some post during my stay. Something I realized last night, I talked a bit about the music...but the music in the Ash house is set more based on the show itself.

I realized last night that when I heard Highway to Hell, that was the AoV show, so they had Bon Scott while the Ash house had Brian w/ Back in Black.

I can't rate houses nor pick a best, I will say the cast this year, well to me, they are creating an intensity that I've never witnessed (as in across each zone and within each maze). Amazing job!!

So, I imagine my review will be a bit different.

AHS. We use to do the Stay and Scream and/or the Passholder Preview, but I did not enjoy coming in from daylight and trying to adjust to the light levels in the Mazes. I imagine this was not as big of an issue here as they have switchbacks after you enter the sound stage. To me, this looks like a sort of room (I forget if they had anything playing in here) to wait in darkness a spell...build some more suspense while allow those that hit this one first a chance to adjust their eyes better than just walking in from the outside. That seems like a cool step to help everyone enjoy this house as it should be enjoyed. They really capture the show once again!

The Shinning, I love the evelvator and the Hedge Maze. The movie is captured well, but if it were not for the nostalgia of the movie or if I had never seen the movie, I do not think I would like this house at all.

I do know that Saw was my least favorite house.

Fallen. I do not know what to say here. This one could be my favorite (I started at 21 and loved Gothic that year). The house is stunning (so much detail in everything this year). They have the two zip line flyers, but I think the have a new toy here. I think they have used Bungees before, but they are place a scareactor in your face here in a way I have never seen before (I do not do much outside of HHN, certainly nothing on the scale of any house at HHN).

Hive...wow..do their contacts have lights somehow? I asked someone and they answered something like maybe how blacklight reflects...but their was at least one Vamp that had these eyes with this yellow circle around the pupils that was just out of this world cool to see in person. Pretty sure this is also the house that got me real good. First was an unexpected surprise pop out and then a great redirect shorty after (I like looking up, seeing lighting, I think they did a stobe...all sorts of stuff to set me up...but I think a blue light somewhere grabbed me in to set me up. I do not recall, but this house is on!!

I talked about Ash, I like the show, I like the humor...but, as I will repeat, all the cast are at crazy level so early into the event. I really think I would enjoy this house even if I did not watch the show...I might go nuts trying to attach meaning to something, but I thing this works as a maze for done for Halloween time of year.

Scarecrow...just the intensity, to unbelievable customs, make-up, whatever. Everything this year is quality and in your face.

Blumhouse...I was not looking for this movie to that movie...whatever...yes, Invidious was great as a house...but the cast in this house is just working it so well...just Props to all the scareactors this year!!

Not sure what I did or did not talk about...just that I really loved this year!

some pics.

I saw more puking on the streets this year than ever before.

23468089058_7c36b7feeb_c.jpg

23468085688_16e41bc77a_c.jpg

23468085788_5cf732d9df_c.jpg

23468085488_fefa743a94_c.jpg

23468085198_fa78e763e8_c.jpg

Just got back from my trip and did HHN three nights with ROF express.

My house ranking from favorite to least favorite.

1. The Fallen - I got to go through this house twice and my second run through, I went alone and the hanging flyer scare got me so good, I fell down.

2. Ash vs Evil Dead - saw the series and this houses did a good job at bringing me into the show. My second run through. I went in at 6:50 pm and it was still light outside, so I went blind in the house and got lost from the group. I was alone at one point and couldn't see, had to be the scariest thing ever. They were jumping out at me and one point I couldn't see nothing and walked into a scare actor's boo hole and he had to point me in the right direction.

3. Dead Waters - The facade and sets were amazing, had some good solid scares too.

4. Horrors Of Blumhouse - Sinister parts were good but short, Purge was whatever but Insidious was really good. The scare actors were on point here and they had some back to back scares, got me a few good times.

5. Hive - Lacking a facade but the house was spooky, had some solid scares, did a good job for being a cover up.

6. The Shining - Loved this movie and thought they did a pretty good job of creating scares, the drop box scare with "Here's Johnny" made me jump high in the air.

7. American Horror Story - I liked this one better than last year's and it felt very long. It had some good sets and good scares, my favorite part was walking through and seeing all the asylum people breaking out of their rooms.

8. Scarecrow - This house had an awesome facade and had two runs at it but I didn't get a good amount of scares. I definitely see the potential and what people are talking about, just wish I had gotten a better run.

9. Saw - This may be at the bottom of the list but does not mean it's a bad house. I personally enjoyed it a lot but this year had a stacked line up of houses. The bathroom scene at the end was nice.

Scare Zones

1. Trick R Treat
2. Purge
3. Festival Of The Deadliest
4. Invasion
5. Altars

Overall amazing year for me and the houses were really strong, great energy, they did such a good job with the event. This was my 4th year in a row and I rate this a solid 8.5/10

2nd Weekend Review
Sorry in advance for length (again)
SPOILERS!!

HOUSES (in order, lots of change)
Should be noted that mazes placed towards and at the end of the bottom of my list would place mid to high on lists regarding previous events. This is (in my humble opinion) the best house line up that I have witnessed at HHN (been going since 23.) Kudos to everyone involved. These houses kick butt.

1. Dead Waters: If it weren't for how short this maze is, it wouldn't be so difficult to put at number 1. The sets make up for the lack of length though; and the fact that there usually isn't too long a wait helps too. Not much more to say about this one other than that I don't see it moving from number 1.

Favorite part? Village Finale with stilt houses and sacrifices

2. American Horror Story Vol2: The more I go through this house, the more I realize that Vol 2 is just as good (if not better) than last years. Asylum has some seriously sweet sets that I mentioned in the first weekend review. Id argue that each season gets a little bit weaker (especially Roanoke) but overall, this house is LONG, this house is FUN, this house is SMELLY, and that Chen girl is FREAKY!

Favorite part(s)? either Asylum common room or Coven attic / greenhouse

3. Scarecrow The Reaping: Man is this house intense! Got there early on Saturday and made a beeline towards the back of the park. Managed to go through this and hive with only one other person behind me and man it was something. Im continuously impressed with the diversity of the scarecrows. Third time through I got a pretty good scare from above that I hadn't seen before. Finale is fun but doesnt feel nearly as grand as 24's TWD.

Favorite part(s)? The pig crow or bird poop

4. The Shining: I think this is this years version of Ghost Town (not Dead Waters). Really fun to walk through, especially if you're a fan of the movie, just not a ton of scares (one good jump in a couple runs through). Got to see the snow this weekend for the first time which was nice.

Favorite part(s)? Blood elevator and Gold Room

5. Hive: I think the cast is beginning to find their groove. Runs through this weekend were much better than last weekend and the maze felt more cohesive and aggressive. Rivals blumhouse for house that just has the "it" factor where theres nothing that really stands out, but is still insanely fun to go through. I do feel as if the hallway of eyes at the very end is a complete waste though.

Favorite part? Stilt vampire with his little midget friend

6. The Horrors of Blumhouse: I just love walking through this house and haven't had a bad run through yet. The only thing detracting from this house is how irrelevant Sinister and Purge feel. Would've really liked a little more of each. The finale is really fun and intense, but the green and purple walls seem too generic.

Favorite part? Hate me for it but the purge living room (that is clearly meant to be ouji)... To be fair I only like this room when the scareactor is mercilessly beating the heck out of the dummy on the couch.

7. Ash vs Evil Dead: I like a whole lot about this house. The trailer, the cabin, the bar are all great sets to walk through and the deadites / other demons replicate the show very well. What doesn't replicate the show very well? The "Ash's". At first it wasn't too big a deal, but after walking through some more it just doesn't have the same comedic feel that Bruce Campbell brings to the show. Also, am somewhat disappointing that we don't get the asylum and there isn't enough of Baal.

Favorite part? The outdoor cabin scene

8. The Fallen: I do enjoy this house. Just not as much as I expected I would. This probably comes from how reliant this maze is on timing (very). I am yet to see the flying scareactor, but the bungee demon got me really good. Awesome costumes and set design, but I don't feel a lot of energy in this maze and the reused prop from Chances scarezone last time kinda irks me.

Favorite part(s): Facade and scareactor on stage at beginning

9. Saw The Games of Jigsaw: Fun to watch things happen and the bathroom from the first movie is awesome. Room with the major strobes and pigmans is pretty intense. But the pigman is overused and there is little to no involvement. Is what many feared it would be... a showcase. Also don't get the finale from the upcoming movie... doesn't feel like a whole lot is going on there.

Favorite part(s)? Bathroom from first movie or jigsaw on bike at beginning

SCAREZONES:

1. Trick 'r' Treat: Nothing short of perfect
2. Festival of the Deadliest: MAJOR improvement from last weekend. Zone feels complete and is a perfect combination of sexy and scary.
3. Roaming Horde
4. Invasion -
practically tied with Purge, but this is more unique
5. Purge
anddddd completely separate from this pack of great scarezones...

Altars of Borror.

SHOWS:
haven't seen AOV yet but man was Bill and Ted's great. Sean Spicer was brilliant and the cast seemed to really be enjoying themselves. Will definitely be watching many more times. Also, very glad to see the return of
Sex with their tails and Dr. Evil

Touchdown in Ohio.

HHN was a great event this year with just a few major issues. The event seems to be in a state of shock and change; shock from last minute issues and changes from new creative leads and designers. As others have said, even the most middling or poor houses this year would stand out in prior years, this year is that good. Even my lowest ranked house would be in the middle of the pack in my first year, 24.

NOTE: THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD. DEAD DUDES TELL NO TALES.

House Rankings:

Note: my house rankings are based on many factors but mostly scares, set design, scare actors, costuming, layout, and creativity.

1) Scarecrow

Great design, set design, effects, and scares. I could imagine this being in a soundstage for more height and being nearly perfect. Took me till my second visit to get a good run and it paid off in spades. Great distraction scares and the crows were super cool and a nice palette cleanser in the house.

2) Shining

This combines the designer's love of the Exorcist house, the set design of AHS, and the insanity of the movie into a fantastic house. The first Wendy looks like she jumped out of the movie. Lloyd scare actor is great (hey Jeromy) and the first Jack always gets me. Walking through the carpet was trippy and THEY DID THE ELEVATOR SCENE JUSTICE.

3) Blumhouse

This should be in the bottom tier but here we are. I laughed when Drew said this was a killer house, how could it be? Chance sucked, the tent was probably blown away by Irma, and they'd phone this one in. The weakest part of this house is Purge, clearly. But every scare actor brings it here and there are lots of great gags and scares. There are some cool effects in Insidious and I saw many many guests freak out in this house. The final scene is tired yet inspired in its simplicity with scares. Shout out to the run Drew and I went through.

4) Dead Water

Huge hype for this house, so clearly it couldn't live up to my expectations. The house was fun but I never felt scared. Best scenes in this house are the slanted hallway, entering the voodoo hut after the bog, and the facade scares. One big issue I had was the bog just had these mats you see Ops TMs standing on as the mushy floor but guests kick them around so you walk on hard surfaces then a noticeably higher soft floor on the next step. But damn this house is beautiful with easily the best design I've seen.

5) Ash

My sister's boyfriend got me into the show once he found out this was going to be a house. Ash works for me since I'm familiar with the show and can see the love and care put into this. Lots of fun scares and how can't you like a post house scene with a chainsaw and kegs of beer? The house still lacks something the other four AMAZING houses prior on this list do. Additionally Orlando's terrible casting scene gives us Ashy Slashy's that are all over the place in height, build, and facial features. In the end the house is fun, which I love.

6) AHS

I'm always mixed on AHS and, like Ash, if I watched the show that would help with my excitement and interest. The house is good and fun but suffers from the disproportionate wait disorder. In the end when I do AHS I feel like it's a requirement, not something I want to do.

7) Fallen

This house was hyped to be a sleeper hit. To me it doesn't bring the scares or fun that the other houses do. Too much attention was spent on the three scares around the bungee that it all falls flat to me. Some distraction mechanisms and a quicker reset time would make those scares way more effective. Hell, maybe a distraction then a scare on either the left or right to reduce set up times. But as I said before, this house would be much higher if this year wasn't so good.

8) Hive

Similar to Fallen, any other year and this would be higher. But something for me never clicked with this house. House should have more of the glowing contacts/faces than it does. Additionally the exterior is one of the poorest ever done at HHN. I just... don't know what more to say?

9) Saw

LETS PLAY A GAME TO SEE IF YOU CAN BUY PIZZA FRIES AT THIS EVENT. I knew I was going to be in for a meh time when the entrance was just the drop ceiling for Shrek behind the scenes. Some nice sets and interactive elements but nothing ever felt out of control or in danger. Better than Dusk till Dawn or Dracula Untold from 24, not as good as Run from 25.

SHOWS!

I did not see Academy of Villains. My own ambivalence to the show is known plus the fact it's the temp show I just never got around to see it.

Bill & Ted - I think this year was very solid. Unlike the past two years where the main antagonists were every present and grating (and for last year, also boring) this year it's way more light hearted and fun. Most of the jokes and segments land compared to last year (again, why are we making Starbucks jokes in 2016? What's with the random CAH reference?) and are way more on the spot. The show has more teeth and more places for improv'd jokes. I will miss this show more than I can even imagine at this point and I am looking at flights for the final night.

Scarezones?

Woof. I don't want to break this down too much but state in general the scare zones this year are rough. Yes, I get Irma caused issues but how does the Altars of horror NOT EVEN HAVE ANY ALTARS. Purge is fun but exactly the same at 24 with two more set pieces and the additional actors from Psychoscarpy. Festival of the Deadliest I get what they're trying to do but it seems things are being added piecemeal over the past few days. I enjoy the campy Invasion and think creepy/cool is an ok thing for scare zones. The clear winner is Trick r Treat for its design, love, attention to detail, and great cast. While not a technical zone, the chainsaw clowns this year were top notch with new creepy details. They ENJOYED their job. One clown put the chainsaw on a bench and chased a man down the bench till he fell off. Others would sit and relax before sprinting up. Great job to them.

Alcohol and Other Topics

I like to drink. I was in a fraternity in college and my college was a unique type of party school. I believe HHN was drowning in its own alcohol but the current set up isn't the most ideal situation, yet. Having shots and shot girls in the streets and queues is overkill. Yet not allowing guests to sit down and relax at Finn's is hostile to the guest experience. Liquor should be sold at bars. I don't have the answers here but something still feels off. But good on UOR for adding the stools back to Duff Gardens and offering the super cool/hidden/chill Wharf bar.

For the first time ever for me the ops in the house were unobtrusive and good. No flashlights, no standing in front of set pieces, and no yelling in the house. I think this is just as much about ops as it is about good house design.

For next year I want to see some more risks with scare zones and houses. They've made some small changes in layouts and tropes, now I want to see more.

Second Weekend Review Update

With another 3 nights in the books I figured I would come back and update my rankings and reviews. Quoted is my opening weekend review and here I will really only add in what changed and make houses move up/down.

Houses
1. Scarecrow: The Reaping 10/10 (-)

2. Dead Waters 10/10 (-)
I had a really good run this weekend and it pushes this house closer to Scarecrow in my book and makes this top two really hard to choose between.​

3. American Horror Story V2 9/10 (-)

4. The Fallen 9/10 (-)
Still haven't had a great run of this house but I am waiting for it. It better happen soon cause if not Blumhouse has something to say.
5. Blumhouse of Horrors 8/10 (+3)
Well this house is my personal surprise hit of the year. They deserve cast of the year for the intensity they bring. A huge improvement over opening weekend with each of my 3 runs having the intensity level cranked to 11. They are not afraid to get in your face and work hard and fast. I have come to love the hallway scene in Sinister where the projector light is coming from behind then goes out and then the lights flash on reveling 3 Bughuuls in the hallway.​

6. Ash v Evil Dead 8/10 (-)
Another house where the cast energy seemed improved over opening weekend with more scares and laughs.​

7. Hive 8/10 (-2)
With the house design, repeatability gets a little boring and I am starting to lose interest as the cast seemed to have regressed. I also this there is a case of a noticeable difference between cast energy levels.​

8. The Shining 7/10 (-1)
Pretty to look at, love the elevator and ending hedge maze. But I am just more invested and enjoy myself in the houses above.
9. Saw 6/10 (-)
Had a better run this weekend but it still doesn't do anything for me apart from me being impressed in how it fit into Shrek.​

Scarezones
Here Festival moves up with the zone being more complete. Clowns move up because they are great.
1. Trick R Treat
2. Clowns

3. Invasion!
4. Festival of the Deadliest

5. Purge
6. Altars of Horror

Went all 3 nights of opening weekend and hit each house multiple times except Saw. Overall this is one of the strongest house lineups across the board that I can remember recently with no houses I actively disliked. As always the event is fluid and I can see some house wiggling their way around as I get more runs and everyone settles into their roles.

Houses
1. Scarecrow: The Reaping 10/10
WOW! I loved Tomb of the Ancients last year and they took the same concept (a very claerphobic, yet visually stunning house packed with scares) and one upped one of my favorite houses from last year. Going in I figured that the house would look drab and boring and suffer from being very one note with very similar looking costumes (see Hive) but it uses the space to the fullest with beautiful sets and varying scarecrow designs that keep it fresh (love the pig-crows). I do not think the others this year can touch this house and is a safe bet for HOTY.​

2. Dead Waters 9/10
Beautiful but short. However, the length is the only complaint that I can muster for this house as it has the best sets and facade this year hands down and actually has some good scares unlike Ghost Town last year.​

3. American Horror Story V2 9/10
For my enjoyment of the seasons it goes Asylum > Coven > Roanoke. I seem to be in the minority in hating Roanoke (screw the reality TV show bs and then them going back to the house to rehash everything) As is such I was please with how they allotted the space for each season with Coven and Asylum both being really good. As of now I think I would give the edge to coven as my fav section since it is way more visually appealing and has some good scares and variety in the sets. Roanoke section felt generic and lazy with the only cool part being the animatronic that was broken when I went though on Sunday (unless its a puppet and was having a cast change, I'm curious to know). Some good scares and I have not decided if it is better than last years house. Right now I would lean no since I though all 3 sections last year were great and towards the end they really found their scare-groove.​

4. The Fallen 9/10
Haven't had the best timing in regards to the flying demons only getting the last one all 3 runs so far but its a fun house with some good scares (the second guy in the blacksmith looking part gets me every time). I think it will grow on me and could easily see it move up as 2-4 (basically 2a-c) are fluid for me right now. I think part of my disappointment of the house comes from it not being nearly as good as Gothic so far, which is how I was imagining it in my head and some of the costumes look either recycled or really cheesy (white faced horn guy looks like it was from Krampus and the demon at the beginning looks like a blowup muscle man suit).​

5. Hive 8/10
I enjoy this house. Yes it could have been something way better and the costumes are very one note but I see this being the house that gets better when the actors get more time to settle in as the scares opening weekend are always weaker. I love the glowing contact effect which can be quite startling as the house is very dark. Did twice Sunday with stay and scream and literally had to grab the person in front of me by the shoulders and turn them the right way towards the end both runs along with one of my times though Scarecrow. Bring sunglasses or wait until dark if you usually have issues seeing in dark houses/when the sun still is up.​

6. Ash v Evil Dead 7/10
Fun house with pretty good set design considering the campy atmosphere. Main gripe is the long reset times and some of the Ashes really don't look like Bruce, but I prefer that to a stiff looking mask that really takes you out of it. Also 80% of the time you see Ash he is just lip syncing audio from the show and not jumping out from somewhere to attack a deadite. I don't like when they waste too many actors on standing there/giving story because at the end of the day I want to get scared. Some of the demons give good scares but overall not that scary.​

7. The Shining 7/10
Beautiful house that lacks scares. Love the elevator scene, gold bar, and the ending hedge maze. Really no scares and axe scene resets way too slow. Liked Exorcist better last year over this as I feel like they were in a similar boat when making this maze in taking a visually stunning and not really scary movie and making it work without compromising the vision.​

8. Blumhouse of Horrors 7/10
Better than expected after hearing what a steaming turd this would be. Wish it was a pure insidious house or at least Sinister/Insidious as I feel Sinister and Ouija were not given a chance with how minimal their sections are. Although parts of Insidious don't make sense without seeing the new movie, I got good scares here and like the ending hall of scares from all the movies. Could honestly see this move up more if the scares continue to come and get better despite the Purge really trying to sink the ship.​

9. Saw 6/10
Just did this one once and will probably only do this if I catch it with a minimal wait going forward. Like I mentioned earlier I really don't care when a houses main thing is looking at actors in plain sight react/have stuff done to them. Only happened to see a pig person twice so I assume I missed quite a few as I would hope each trap was the misdirect for the scare. Felt longer than the previous two houses in Shrek and had good sets with the final room being the standout. They actually successfully hidden when you move from main theater to pre-show room for the first time as well so kudos for that I guess. All in all I find the house boring and liked the HHN19 version better from what I remember of it.​

Scarezones

1. Trick R Treat
Beautiful zone at night. Costumes and sets really evoke the feel from the movie and they have fun interactions and can get some good scares in if you are distacted by another character in the zone.​

2. Invasion!
I love the sets and the costumes are cool. Scares came primarily from the Army dude sneaking up from behind and yelling for help. I really wish those tall ones in white would glide around and sneak up on people, hopefully they find their scaring stride moving forward.​

3. Clowns
I like their looks and attitude. They seem to be given free reign to interact as they please, which is nice.​

4. Purge
Tired of the purge in all its forms at HHN, the costumes from the new movie are cool but I'm over it.​

5. Festival of the Deadliest
Some eye candy to look at and the costumes are neat but I will reserve final judgement until the rest of it is set up because as is, it is very empty and the sets scream strip club in hell not festival of the dead.​

6. Altars of Horror
No Altars, no horror. SAD!​

Shows

Bill and Ted
Enjoyed it and sad to see it go. Loved Moana and Spicey and found the beiber stuff to drag on and played out as they have used him basically every year recently.​

AoV: Afterlife
Did not see. Wanted to wait for main stage. Watched a video of the Hurricane version and it looked fine. Not really my bag but I can respect that they are really good at what they do and people seem to go nuts for them.​

I have come to love the hallway scene in Sinister where the projector light is coming from behind then goes out and then the lights flash on reveling 3 Bughuuls in the hallway.

Everything about that scene is absolutely perfect. A terrific combination of a person who distracts you nervously, a hallway lit only by the person, the immediate rise in the music and blue tint of the room, and attack from all sides of the intense creatures.

Please do that more Universal. In fact, I cannot praise that house enough.

I forget which house it was (I missed a lot of the hallway type stuff) but they had an actor on stilts come at me first...I was looking up commenting how tall they were then a rather small actor appeared from nowhere and got me again.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I forget which house it was (I missed a lot of the hallway type stuff) but they had an actor on stilts come at me first...I was looking up commenting how tall they were then a rather small actor appeared from nowhere and got me again.
I remember this!!! It freaked me out! :lol:
I want to say The Fallen. Pretty sure it was a soundstage. Not Dead Water. Probably not AHS.