Halloween Horror Nights 27 (UO): Reviews & Photos | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 (UO): Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Seriously a great year for houses. The majority of these houses are incredibly close in ranking and all houses have a redeeming thing. One downside is even in the best of these houses a lot of them have a much stronger feeling of I've been here before than any other year.

1. Scarecrow
- Wow this house was amazing. Loved the facade, the corn field with the hurricane battered corn looked like it could be a real place. Amped up scares, great actors, really solid house. Only downsides are the amount of stuff hanging in my face, the gag at the beginning is feeling a bit used, and I know I have been in this house before

2. Dead Waters - Wow what a facade. This is seriously one of the most beautiful houses and loved the river boat. Pretty good scares and loved the variety of characters... where else can you see a Mark Twain ghost

3. Shining - Biggest surprise of the haunt for me so far. I totally 100% did not expect to like this house. This is a super strong house in my opinion, I don't know what it is but I get an uneasy feeling once I hit the entrance. Can't believe they pulled off the elevator room, very close to the movie while not being a walk through of the movie. This house also has the some of the closest attention to detail I've ever noticed in a house with the ending. The scareactors and audio tracks are changing to depict the change of time and foreboding of the situation

4. Ash v ED - OK I'm a huge Ash fan so this helps. Also very happy to have a comedy house back. Scarier than I thought, less comedy than I expected. Still a lot going on and some great moments from the show are here. This house does suffer from the I have been here before and feels very Halloween-y to me

5. AHS - Another big surprise. I do like this house a lot and think there are some great scares and attention to detail here. I don't think it was as good as last year, and for some reason the run throughs feels a bit rushed.

6. Fallen - Really pretty house. Flyers are wonderfully used and there are some great characters in here, the Blacksmith and the Cyclops are some of my favorites. I don't understand the story here a whole lot though. Am I on the demons side, where is the war happening, is there a good side, are they actually fighting....

7. Saw - I thought this house was better than the first Saw house, but it did feel like there was a lot more zoo like than you're in danger. BUTTONS!!!!

8. Hive - I was not a big fan of this house, may have been because I couldn't see a lot. The actors were really trying but it seemed like the house design didn't give them the opportunity to do what they needed to do. Some of them just seemed like once they went for a scare they were stuck exposed trying to force making it work because it was better than trying to reset. The giant scene was pretty great.

9. Blumhouse - This house was just bad for me. I understand them trying to do what they do with introductions like they do in AHS but it is so obvious that you are entering into a different section because the characters are so different it felt like a waste of a room... especially when the first 2 parts were only 1 or 2 rooms each. The other big downside was this house felt like it is where old props and gags go to die. The exact same Insidious room pieces, same music, same exit of that area; also the reused guy in the electric chair. The finale of this house showed a lot of promise even though it was horribly themed. There were some really aggressive actors in this section and I thought the layout of it was very interesting and could provide some really good scares.

Scarezones:

1. Trick r Treat
- Amazing looking scare zone, honestly I don't know if I have ever seen this area look as good as it does.
2. Festival of the Deadliest - Some really cool makeups in this area, definitely missing a lot of props and lighting. I have hopes that this will be a good area, just not sure how stripper-y it will be
3. Roaming Clowns - No matter how much its used they still manage to pull it off, some unnerving make-ups and costumes and they do a good job
4. The Purge - Purge again which is fun, they felt like they were the most aggressive bout scaring next to the clowns out of any zone. The truck is getting to be a little bit of a nuisance at this point though
5. Invasion - Disappointment doesn't begin to describe this one for me. This was one of the things I was looking forward to the most. The alien designs felt like they weren't sure if they were going campy or scary and the soldiers feel totally different than the queens and brutes. The zone feels like it doesn't know if it wants to be campy or scary. Hopefully if they just tweak some minor things it could be great. The little mini-shows are pretty cool though.
6. Altars of Horror - Ugh, this isn't a zone, it isn't a photo-op it seems with some of the characters. Its just a bunch of people clogging the street.

Bill and Ted - Unfortunately this is the best the show has been in quite some time, going to make it really hard to see it go at the end of the season. Really really great show, a few missed jokes but overall very strong. Old Ted being back is great, bringing back so many old characters is great. Almost all the boxes are ticked for this being the Farewell Tour. They do make sure you know that it is the final year and do so multiple times, which makes it a little sad.

Academy of Villains (Irma-version) - Man this group can bring it no matter what, while most others would be content not to even show up they create a new show in hours and blow the roof off it. Can't wait to see the real version.

Last edited:
My review for opening weekend…

I’ve been attending HHN since 2004 and worked as a scare actor in 2011 and 2014. The only year I’ve missed is 22, as I was living abroad. I now live in Brooklyn and travel down every year. I’ve seen the event morph over the years, and I do still feel like there are glimpses here and there of ‘the good old days’.

Houses and Streets, reviewed in order of preference.

Dead Waters: AMAZING,My jaw is still on the floor. The facade is beautiful, between the consistent scares and overwhelming detail it is hard to take it all in- saw something new each walk through.

The Shining: I was scratching my head after rewatching the film. How in the world would they create this slow paced movie into a thrilling house? They managed to maintain the feel and energy of the film while still being quite heavy in the scare department. The simplicity is perfect. This house is bright and allows you to see every detail-this doesn’t make it great for repeat visits. The elevator blood scene went fair beyond my expectations.

Hive: Potentially my favorite tent house in recent years. A straightforward story with clever scares and great makeup. The smell used in this house is hands down one of my favorite they’ve used over the years. The finale is and calm and creepy.

Scarecrow: The Reaping : Intense and aggressive , beautiful scenes, great variety in scarecrows.The two bird rooms are incredible and most effective when it’s bright and your eyes haven’t adjusted to the darkness yet.

The Fallen: Beautiful scenes, cool costumes. This will be an incredible house once the actors time their scares.

AHS: True to most of the seasons and long. I was left scratching my head over some of the scenes chosen to represent each season, especially coven but overall it was fun and gratifying to see these characters in real life. I LOVED the soundscape section inside of the sound stage just before entering the house-it really builds anxiety.

Blumhouse: Fun house, seemed like it was made on a budget. Experienced solid scares

Ash vs Evil Dead: Did not like the pilot episode and didn’t care for the house at all. I think the some of the sets were great but I’m just not interested in this property.

Saw: Not interested in the slightest in this property. I saw a lot of repeat scenes and scares from the original maze in 2009.The same traps with the same scare setup.

Trick r’ Treat: True to the movie, I wish I had spent more time here.

Invasion!: Awesome costumes! I love the vibe but the actors really have to bring the camp to make it work. I would imagine their costumes are quite restricting but most of them we’re just standing around- this could be a strong zone if the actors embrace their characters.

The Purge: The Election Year masks were impressive. I would have preferred to see something new in this space.

Festival of the Deadliest: I’m 100% positive that during opening weekend this zone was not presented as it’s intended final state…that being said…WTF is going on with this zone? Beautiful costumes and makeup with no lighting and no scenic to support it? The zone is far too dark and the set pieces of the sidewalk don’t contribute at all to the atmosphere. This zone needs a lot of attention- it has potential.

Altars of Horror: A very poor use of space.

Pleasantly surprised that Scarecrow--a tent house!--seems to be a consensus top two pick, if not #1.

@Brian G. re: Shining, said something similar when I first went through--it's lacking some "X-factor" that would make it great. I wonder if it has the misfortune to be a solid B student with a bunch of A student older siblings. In other words, would the house be more impressive if it had come before AWiL, FvJ and Exorcist?

I've been avoiding reading much this year, just sort of wanted to walk in clean, experience it myself.

We did 3 houses, Ash was my favorite. I guess I just love the series and the music.

It has been so long since I heard Nugent as an Anboy Duke or whatever band he was in that did journey to the center of your mind...he must have hated those days.

Leaving the house, pretty sure I was hearing Strangle Hold...which just gets my head recalling many of the Mike's Songs I've heard over the years.

Reactions: ChaseTuff
Gotta disagree on Ash, although I haven't watched the show. I'm sure if you're a fan then it's great and makes a lot more sense, but the house just seemed all over the place to me and it wasn't funny nor scary. Easily the worst house of the event for me so far.

My rankings of the houses so far are as follows:

1. The Fallen
2. Dead Waters
3. The Shining
4. AHS
5. Blumhouse
6. Saw
7. Hive
8. Ash v. Evil Dead

I've still yet to do Scarecrow and AHS, plan to have that remedied by tomorrow or Saturday though. I have high expectations for Scarecrow based on what i've heard.

Last edited:
Well, we only went through Saw, Hive, and Ash. I think I am just viewing things with different eyes this year.

I just love how year after year, they are able to repurpose everything. Plus, I just like music. This year, I felt like the music in the park is skewing older than in the past. I mean, sure, I!ve heard Alice Cooper in the park before, but it was something that made sense, this year, I guess if 'the singers name is Alice' it must be Halloween music.

Now Ash...musically took me back...lost of bass and drum rhythms that I really enjoyed.

We started with Saw, got there about 10 til 8 with a 30 minute wait. The maze felt longer than prior mazes in that theater and I felt I liked this years set up there better than the prior ones. I guess I always found the zombie sled funny, but I like the bicycle addition this year...I think they used a tricycle before, but my first time seeing it like this.

Hive tries, I think, it isn't bad, just felt like that clostrophobic house, catacombs or something, just less thighs, too much stuff on the floor to trip you up. We also walked by a lot of empty scares...I mean these folks have to work multiple parts of the conga.

Ash, I saw the cabin, the airstream, just neat stuff I have always liked. I thought most of the music in the maze was 70's...but Back in Black was 1980...I still recal Bon passing before I got to see them.

Anyway, I am enjoying myself. From what I am seeing, they've really done a good job this year...having the twins (Shinning) out in the front zone though? I did not spend any real time in the zones...oh, but the area before kid zone, I like the look of that area this year.

I've got a few more nights, so I imagine I will figure things out more as I take in more of the event, but so far so good as I have nothing to complain about and I think I've only done some of the lower tier houses or something....but the music will always sway me differently than the slashes, growls, or other sound effects.

I'm guessing I have just always liked originals more than IPs. Don't get me wrong, I get seeing iconic sets, feeling like you are inside a movie you love, I mean the things they did with Halloween, AWIL, and so many more.

The first time I went with my wife was 22 or so. I recall enjoying Dead End and Gothic the most. I guess I just love seeing creative getting to show what they can do.

So far, I have been really impressed this year. I just feel they have been a little more creative in using what they have, but also, it feels like Orlando is using more scareactors in the houses (we have only done five so far this year just taking it slow and easy), but the energy, the new uses of old props, it just feels like they are using more people to really create the event this year.

The zones and the mazes I have been through thus far just feel like they've stepped their game up a bit this year.

I also just feel Thurs was slower than week 2 in the past, but it is cool that wait times seem more balanced this year, to me, that suggest they are doing something right.

We will see how tomorrow goes (I am still a firm believer that SAT week 2 is one of the slower nights (traditionally)...after the AP folks leave around 9 ish.

I'm guessing I have just always liked originals more than IPs. Don't get me wrong, I get seeing iconic sets, feeling like you are inside a movie you love, I mean the things they did with Halloween, AWIL, and so many more.

The first time I went with my wife was 22 or so. I recall enjoying Dead End and Gothic the most. I guess I just love seeing creative getting to show what they can do.

So far, I have been really impressed this year. I just feel they have been a little more creative in using what they have, but also, it feels like Orlando is using more scareactors in the houses (we have only done five so far this year just taking it slow and easy), but the energy, the new uses of old props, it just feels like they are using more people to really create the event this year.

The zones and the mazes I have been through thus far just feel like they've stepped their game up a bit this year.

I also just feel Thurs was slower than week 2 in the past, but it is cool that wait times seem more balanced this year, to me, that suggest they are doing something right.

We will see how tomorrow goes (I am still a firm believer that SAT week 2 is one of the slower nights (traditionally)...after the AP folks leave around 9 ish.

I also feel like they did step up their game this year. some of the bad things from previous years are absent now, like the streets, the streets this year are very very strong and very well thought out (except maybe the icons one)
even the clown horde is a lot better than the previous year. I've noticed better costumes. All houses this year are from good to great. Can't say any of them are fully terrible. Saw, Blumhouse and Ash Vs Evil Dead might not be fan favorites so far, but the houses are far from horrible.

So, I'm not up on Saw, but I did like the house, just seems to flow well compared to anything else we have had in Sheirk. I liked the talking had scareactors, I think that was there.

Man, in Ash, that head in crotch looks painful.

Deep waters is stunning and neat stuff, the flooring, the feel.

Bloomhouse, man, the team in there is really working that house. I swear, to me this year, it is the scareactors and their sheer numbers that is driving the event this year.

We still have a lot to see, but so far, so good...just do not seem to be drinking at the event and I swear the drink lines at the few pop ups seem to be small every time I walk by...but FRI's annoyances are from youngings trying to have fun/be cool in their Childress ways...but I was young once (I think).

Been through all the houses 3 times now and here's my rankings:

1. Dead Waters-that facade though!
2. Scarecrow-really tied for #1
3. AHS-loved asylum and coven parts
4. The Shining
5. SAW
6. The Fallen
7. The Hive
8. Blumhouse-Purge section is crap
9. Ash vs Evil Dead-this might have been a good scarezone

Scarezones:
1. Trick or Treat- this is how you do it
2. The Purge-yeah it's been done but I could watch the mini shows all night and the chaos is on point
3. Clown chainsaws-great cast really working it
4. Invasion-love it, great interactions and the UFO!
5. Altars of horror-picture zones work better if the scareactors stop for pictures. Put them on stages and call it a day
6. Festival of the deadliest strippers-wth? Forgot my ones to make it rain! This is confusing and I feel bad for the cast because they're trying. Hopefully it'll improve

Shows-AOV-holding out for the main show, if it happens

Bill and Ted-to be honest I'd lost interest the last few years but caught it since it's the farewell tour. Loved it, laughed start to finish. Fantastic curtain call year. Hell I might go see it again.

After going Thursday-Saturday I can say I really enjoyed this year. This is probably the first year I haven't watched any of the IPs though which might skew my rankings.

1. Scarecrow- this one is easy for me. Only bad part was going in when he sun is still up due to the lighting inside. Friday we went in around 630 and after the bird room I was literally blind. Had to touch the guy in front of me to see where I was going.

2. Dead Waters- yes it's short, but the sets are great and decent scares. Really wish they had an AA croc though.

3. Hive- I might be in the minorty here, but I enjoyed it. The stilt vampire is really good and for a last minute design it worked for me.

4. Th fallen- Has a lot of good things and love the zip line and hanging scares.

5. AHS- never watched a single season, but its long with good sets and scares.

6.Shining- Can't remember watching this when I was younger, but it was ok. Really think they needed moving axes through the doors or they did and I constantly missed them.

7. Blumhouse- first two movies really didn't need to be there.

8. Ash- Haven't seen th show itself, but it was decent enough.

9. Saw- meh

Reactions: snoman
We had a good night. The only real audible was that when we went by Fallen, it was delayed, so that changed our flow a bit. We also had folks working on the center piece of the last scene, so that was different.

I could never pick a best house or anything. It is kind of like the hotels here, I like them all, just for different reasons.

I thought saw had what I called a talking head, but it was Ash, so at least two scenes I liked and I dig the humor and Ash in general.

Fallen is beyond stunning, it is so well done. They don't often get me, but they got me good, twice no less!

I thought Scarecrow would end up like Incidious a few years ago, but I went by around 11 and got in with a 20 minute wait.

I feel this year is the best I've been to. There is so much energy from everyone this year, three of the zones really work for me.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a 'cheapish' house this year. I just think they put a lot of detail in every house, the tents are all on par with the sound stages.

Typically, by going this early, the teams and the houses have not all clicked, but thIs year, they seem really on their game rather early on.

Finally read the write up on the home page. I guess I like this site because we seem to share a lot of the same thoughts, save you lot express yourselves better than I.

I liked my walk through of the Shining, but I feel this is the one house where you need to know the source material to really appreciate the house. Where it sort of failed for me, there was this one area where I seemed to walk around three hallways, all with the same wallpaper, but I did not see the point, just seemed like unused space, not really a transition or anything...just seemed like space to stretch the maze a bit.

I also started really going for 22, so I can't comment on 21, but to see you go back to 21 confirms to me that 27 is the best of the run for someone who started at 22 or higher.

For the drinking stuff, it really is not a big deal to me. I can drink, I often do not. Past events, well, the convienance factor had me let my hair down so to say and enjoy my vacation. This year, I have had less to drink. I still see idiot guest, but there is a better feel to things this year in an odd sense. I think it is the lack of clutter and crowds created by the pop ups. I mean New York and the park behind the Purge are just more open and clean, so that must be a plus.

Reactions: ChaseTuff
It has been so long since I heard Nugent as an Anboy Duke or whatever band he was in that did journey to the center of your mind...he must have hated those days.

Could you list some of the songs that played at the entrance? There's one that I was looking for in particular that was really...groovy. Someone behind me said it was a Ted Nugent song.

Went last night and did all the houses without express and saw Bill and Ted. The worst houses/runs were Hive and the Shining. Best were Scarecrow and Dead Waters.