Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Makes sense. Looking at the 2004 map it seems like guests would go under the canopy between SS 21 and BMG/SS19. With Rockit’s supports of course it looks like it’d be tricky.

The “merged park” plan from 2012 didn’t use the sprungs and entered only through Islands.

The sprungs, being in the very back of the Studios, wouldn’t factor into a merged-parks layout because you need all of Studios for them to be accessible. If that happens, it’s a one park scenario.

Which parts of each park would be closed... I mean it's nice to have more space and spread out the crowd, but damn that would be an awful lot of walking.

Reactions: Suprachica79
Which parts of each park would be closed... I mean it's nice to have more space and spread out the crowd, but damn that would be an awful lot of walking.
Which parts would be closed, you're asking?

In the merged park plan from 2012:

Open -
Port of Entry (IoA)
Seuss (IoA)
Lost Continent (IoA)
New York (Studios)
Hollywood (Studios)
Production Central (Studios)

Closed -
Marvel (IoA)
Toon Lagoon (IoA)
Jurassic Park (IoA)
Hogsmeade (IoA)
Central Park (Studios)
KidZone (Studios)
Springfield (Studios)
World's Fair (Studios)
London/Diagon (Studios)
San Fran (Studios)

Yes, it's a lot of walking, especially the Backlot between LC and NY, but space-wise it's the equivalent of one park. Most importantly, it spreads out house entrances immensely.

Thinking on it, if I were in charge and did this I'd make the Back Lot a "Carnival" scare zone and bring in a Ferris wheel, scrambler, and maybe a wild mouse coaster for guests to ride. Exactly what you would see at a fair. The biggest drawback in 2004 was that aside from the Fright Yard scare zone, there was NOTHING back there. Putting an actual carnival back there (with scareactors running around) allows all the games to be packed in there and give the area a LOT of visual appeal.

^It would make sense for them to scrap that plan since the sprung tents would not have been utilized. I would think they (again) wouldn't go with it if they couldn't include using them.

Then again, they could just move whatever they have stored in the Carnage Warehouse to them.

^It would make sense for them to scrap that plan since the sprung tents would not have been utilized. I would think they (again) wouldn't go with it if they couldn't include using them.

Then again, they could just move whatever they have stored in the Carnage Warehouse to them.
They scrapped it because of needed coverage by Operations. The house locations were accounted for.

The Sprungs, aside from their location, aren't phenomenal. They're temporary structures that just haven't moved in over a decade. The flooring is plywood platforms on dirt and they have rats. The construction in KidZone will impact that location. Either the power running to it will get cut, or that plot will have a crane put on it, or it'll become part of SMW.

Simply put, if they determine a merged park event is necessary because of construction in the back half of Studios, they have options. They can build more houses in soundstages or, if they need a sprung, they can just move it.

EDIT - Here's a quick mock up of the merged park layout.

Blue - Guest paths
Pink - Potential house locations (every one has been used or considered in the past like 33)
Green - Scarezones. I forgot the front crossover, which could go behind CitH, between the soundstages, or through the soundstage even.
Purple - Potential queue, plus the lawn in front of the stage if it's not used for
Yellow - Potential show locations

But as you can see, there's plenty of potential to do it this way again. It's not ideal but totally feasible.

IMG_0152_zps0zcgljqa.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't look like there would be any rides open besides Transformers The Mummy and Rip Ride Rockit

It doesn't look like there would be any rides open besides Transformers The Mummy and Rip Ride Rockit
Fallon could open
Cat in the Hat
Minion Mayhem
And believe it or not, One Fish Two Fish would run when it was at Islands.

Which mind you is 50% of the rides that was typically open in a Studios install...

Maybe you have Hogsmeade open (the way Diagon is) and find a way to get Hulk open.

Reactions: JMalez
Which mind you is 50% of the rides that was typically open in a Studios install...

Maybe you have Hogsmeade open (the way Diagon is) and find a way to get Hulk open.
Opening Hulk would be viable. The main thing is not letting crowds get too far in to Marvel as an island. It would actually a better option than Hogsmeade opening because 1) There’s a house location that would queue nearby and 2) There’s enough space in the Hulk courtyard for people to turn around at the dead end (and with enough light for it to be obvious). Hogsmeade opening would be a nightmare.

Point being, it works. It actually works well if Universal smartly leverages space.

All I care about is Stranger Things. It is iffy due to Stephen King and using the Kubrick Shining this year, but if both happen PLUS AHS... well, this is not a good year to have just lost B&T.

I'm confused by people saying Rick and Morty... it's animated. And it's got a style that's very hard to pull off in reality (the Rick in Bill & Ted did not look great), and would be a mediocre house. It's just something that wouldn't translate. Now, granted, if they found a way to use R&M in a parody show I'd be interested but let's save those discussions for HHN 29.

I'm confused by people saying Rick and Morty... it's animated. And it's got a style that's very hard to pull off in reality (the Rick in Bill & Ted did not look great), and would be a mediocre house. It's just something that wouldn't translate. Now, granted, if they found a way to use R&M in a parody show I'd be interested but let's save those discussions for HHN 29.
If I were to design a Rick and Morty house, it would have to be an original use of the IP. Say a "lost episode" type story. A preshow where rick and Morty tell you they need you to get something from another dimension. You go through a portal (I would use the spinning tunnel) and then you enter an alien world where the aliens are trying to kill you. That's my take on it. I'm a huge fan of the show and I'd die if it came in any way shape or form.

All I care about is Stranger Things. It is iffy due to Stephen King and using the Kubrick Shining this year, but if both happen PLUS AHS... well, this is not a good year to have just lost B&T.

I think a R&M parody show similar to B&T would work great, but the rights to that would be way more than B&T ever were and Universal didn't even want to pay for those. Plus there's really nowhere for them to perform next year. Maybe in T2 theatre once that reopens (that wouldn't be until 29 though)?

Someone pointed this out in the Hollywood thread. Universal better thank their lucky stars this isn't in the United States. This looks like serious competition. I wonder if there's a kind of mutual relationship between universal and them. "We can use your property if we let you use these properties" kind of deal.

From an operations stand point, closing 2 parks for an event and only use 1/2 the park isn't worth the hassle.
That’s why it wasn’t used in 2012. But if four house locations are down in the Studios (MiB, Parade, and Sprungs), then it would be worth the hassle.
Someone pointed this out in the Hollywood thread. Universal better thank their lucky stars this isn't in the United States. This looks like serious competition. I wonder if there's a kind of mutual relationship between universal and them. "We can use your property if we let you use these properties" kind of deal.

Rights are specific to each country. Universal negotiates for rights to use IPs in the US. A park anywhere else in the world can negotiate to use rights there. They could possibly have an informal agreement, but it’s not necessary if Movie World will pay.

Fallon could open
Cat in the Hat
Minion Mayhem
And believe it or not, One Fish Two Fish would run when it was at Islands.

The last event I remember at IoA (2005 maybe), Fish ride and carousel were operated backwards (while a creepy backwards version of the BGL played), but no one was allowed to ride. Given that Twirl & Hurl couldn't draw a crowd when it was less than a year old, I don't see them wasting manpower to keep anything in Seuss open. Again, in theory, I don't see the event going back to IoA in any case.

Yea, I just don't see IoA happening. While the old parade building should be rubble next year, there's another giant one they just built. And they can move the Sprungs back further on that plot of land should their location get taken up by a crane.

I think the interesting situation comes if/when MiB closes, but you've got 28, 29, and maybe 30 before that happens

Reactions: SeventyOne