Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The USH thread has been talking about this more, but how are we thinking about Jordan Peele’s Us? The trailer makes it look pretty ripe for HHN potential. Maybe HoB 3.0?

The USH thread has been talking about this more, but how are we thinking about Jordan Peele’s Us? The trailer makes it look pretty ripe for HHN potential. Maybe HoB 3.0?
I don't think it'll happen. Jordan Peele (and Monkey Paw) would have to agree to it. My gut says his preference is no haunts.

While Us seems more Horror then Get Out, it’s safe to assume there will be strong social commentary that Universal would probably want to avoid bringing to the event.

Peele has said that this one wontw be about race, so at least there's that. I still don't think it'll be a house as, without mentioning spoilers, this could be harder to cast than Stranger Things.

Reactions: Tobias and hhnlover
While Us seems more Horror then Get Out, it’s safe to assume there will be strong social commentary that Universal would probably want to avoid bringing to the event.

True. And while doing that, they’re ignoring a demographic who’d come to the event just for that house. A Get Out house would have had a huge draw.

Reactions: truejonas
I still don't think it'll be a house as, without mentioning spoilers, this could be harder to cast than Stranger Things.

Yeah, while I'll be looking forward to the film, I don't see this house getting made for multiple reasons. Casting is a big one, and for me the type of film that Us is doesn't work too well in a haunted house environment due to it's particular type of creature. Let me explain.

For me, a good haunted house makes you part of it. Where you're the one the monster/killer/ghost etc is after.

But for Us, it's issue can be summed up in a question. "Why would the creature be attacking you?" An there lies the problem. Also if you notice, HHN has not done any house with this type of creature. It just doesn't translate well into a haunt.

But for Us, it's issue can be summed up in a question. "Why would the creature be attacking you?" An there lies the problem. Also if you notice, HHN has not done any house with this type of creature. It just doesn't translate well into a haunt.

How would you equate your argument to The Shining or Exorcist?

How would you equate your argument to The Shining or Exorcist?

Shining - Yes, you had the whole Jack angle which is focused on his family, but that wasn't the whole house. For the Overlook is a very haunted hotel with a very nasty past. Anyone who steps foot inside is bound to encounter the spirits within.

Exorcist - This one's interesting since creative did that a lot of creative liberties with this house, including angles where -you're- being possessed, or playing the role of the young pastor as at the end you end up going through the window and end up in Hell.

An to add on Us...

So a core thing/fear on Doppelgangers is someone looks like you, which just can't be replicated in a haunted house. (No pun intended) An with the way Us is looking, the core focus is on the Wilsons and the "Nosliw"'s . No big cast of extras like what the Shining had. An trying the "Putting you in the shoes of a character" angle like the Exorcist just doesn't work unless you look like them.

I feel like they could possibly do 6 houses in the sound stages at the max by using 4 SS if available. I think they could use spring tent 1 and 2. MIB que. old parade building could house 2 and new parade building could house 1. And they could not use shrek. But even if shrek is used it means they only need 1 house in each parade building or only 5 SS houses.
At a certain point it starts to become a little crazy with everyone bum rushing the Soundstages

Also, I feel like for 2004, the walking between IOA and US really detracted from my enjoyment of the event...I still had a great time, but I feel like modern HHN would struggle there

Although, I always hear people ask if houses are in the other park too

I know we've discussed it at length though

Reactions: truejonas
To all the vets out there, are you guys expecting a big year? Or do you think some things will be held back for 30?

At a certain point it starts to become a little crazy with everyone bum rushing the Soundstages

Also, I feel like for 2004, the walking between IOA and US really detracted from my enjoyment of the event...I still had a great time, but I feel like modern HHN would struggle there

Although, I always hear people ask if houses are in the other park too

I know we've discussed it at length though
Honestly I see what you mean. Too many SS houses would be too cluttered and a mess. I feel like if they theme the pathway between IOA and Studios it would be fun just like another scarezone but one better than the field and scarecrows they had. I think it could work to their advantage to use both parks but who knows what they will do.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
So, I have no idea how they would convert Haunting of Hill House to a...well, house.

This is another question I feel like I’m seeing a lot of that’s baffling me a little.

It’s a ghost story that takes place in an enormous haunted house. I know there aren’t many main ghosts, and I don’t know how many SA’s HHN generally employs per house, but there are 29 hidden ghosts through the series that they can get creative with. Basically I can see this one coming together a lot more simply than I ever could Poltergeist last year.

This is another question I feel like I’m seeing a lot of that’s baffling me a little.

It’s a ghost story that takes place in an enormous haunted house. I know there aren’t many main ghosts, and I don’t know how many SA’s HHN generally employs per house, but there are 29 hidden ghosts through the series that they can get creative with. Basically I can see this one coming together a lot more simply than I ever could Poltergeist last year.

On paper, I think it would be an easier transition to a house than Poltergeist.

Reactions: RevFreako
Make it the atmospheric house with fewer boo scares, and you're done.

Reminds me of a quote from a making-of video (The Last of Us, for those curious):
"The danger that you see is less meaningful than the danger that's in your head."

If you're constantly prepared to be scared but aren't being scared, that can be as psychologically draining as jump scares.