Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 571 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I cant hold a conversation with any of my cousins because they never pay attention. They say " yeah im listening" but if you ask to repeat what i said, they cant.
I can fully understand the smart phone is the greatest remedy to boredom and loneliness, it has everything you could ever need for mind stimulation, but when it stops you from talking to people next to you......

Having headphones with music as an actor in a house sounds extremely risky knowing that guests can attack actors, or that there could be an emergency and you dont hear it

What were your best interactions? What did guests do that you liked?
When I’ve worn headphones in houses I’ve been in, I can here more of what’s going on around me than with the supplied earplugs.

Just a few notes:
  • Can confirm from someone personally there that the Ariana Grande appearance actually wasn’t great. Security shuts down the houses for her to go in, so my source from Ash vs. Evil Dead was able to land a solid scare on her. I understand why the shutdown has to happen, as celebrities + civilians + confined spaces doesn’t turn out well, and that would all be okay if she didn’t reportedly choose to go through AHS multiple times in a row, closing the house for waiting guests for quite some time...
  • As mentioned, headphones under masks can be good for keeping track of the time. Lorde’s Melodrama is 41 minutes long, so my source listened to that every single night to know where he was in his set. Still kept his pattern up, and actually won Scareactor of the week once in that run! He earned the most Boo Bucks (“congrats you scared me” cards from management, essentially) in his cast even without hearing his audio cue because he got so used to it.
  • If you saw a Chainsaw Drill Team member lift up their mask, it may be because their masks are currently, uh, garbage? The original set keeps breaking, with the lights just dying, and the replacement masks, for some reason, have some of their LED components facing the INSIDE as well, blinding the actors. That’s what’s up with the skull makeup; temporary replacement, even though I really want it to last. Also, a CDT guy accidentally scared a kid the other day while trying to scare his parents and made him cry, so he leaned down and lifted his mask to let the kid know that he wasn’t dangerous and that the chainsaw wasn’t real. He got him to laugh and even fist bump him. I got his name and gave it to a coordinator. I think they’re pretty chill with the mask-lifting.
  • What’s the Hollywood video...? I missed it.

Arianna grande has been going to the event for literally years. Like back in her Disney days. Back when I was scaring. It’s going to happen and sadly it’s just part of the event with celebs. Honestly it’s just as unpredictable as technical difficulties shutting down the house from anywhere from minutes to the whole night.

While boo bucks are awesome, not always the best indication of things. They’re awesome but flawed. I still defend wearing wearing headphones as long as you’re still performing to your fullest ability ESPECIALLY now that the run keeps getting longer. It’s freaking rough on your mental health. Some roles are easy to get through, some are truly awful. As long as you’re performing “full out” then do what you gotta do.

I’m going to start and leave it at this: sont get me started on those masks. I’m assuming you know someone who knows someone in the street and that’s a load of bs aka “I don’t want to wear a mask so there’s issue a b and c” the masks are fine. They shouldn’t be out in the rain and that’s the ONLY issue. And by rain I mean literally pouring not a sprinkle. Roaming hoardes aka “CDT” is a mess this year breaking SO much of their SOP and it’s so disappointing to me.

I’m going to start and leave it at this: sont get me started on those masks. I’m assuming you know someone who knows someone in the street and that’s a load of bs aka “I don’t want to wear a mask so there’s issue a b and c” the masks are fine. They shouldn’t be out in the rain and that’s the ONLY issue. And by rain I mean literally pouring not a sprinkle. Roaming hoardes aka “CDT” is a mess this year breaking SO much of their SOP and it’s so disappointing to me.
One of my best friends is in the chainsaws and I talk to this person every night after HHN. They are on their second pair of masks because the first one's stopped working because of rain and now these new ones are endangering not only themselves, but those around them because the CAN'T SEE. That's why people are lifting their masks. They have complained over and over again, but show direction insists for some asinine reason that the masks are an integral part of the costume that can't be cut, despite the fact that they all wear makeup on under the masks anyway (and imo the makeup looks cooler).

When I’ve worn headphones in houses I’ve been in, I can here more of what’s going on around me than with the supplied earplugs.

Arianna grande has been going to the event for literally years. Like back in her Disney days. Back when I was scaring. It’s going to happen and sadly it’s just part of the event with celebs. Honestly it’s just as unpredictable as technical difficulties shutting down the house from anywhere from minutes to the whole night.

While boo bucks are awesome, not always the best indication of things. They’re awesome but flawed. I still defend wearing wearing headphones as long as you’re still performing to your fullest ability ESPECIALLY now that the run keeps getting longer. It’s freaking rough on your mental health. Some roles are easy to get through, some are truly awful. As long as you’re performing “full out” then do what you gotta do.

this is extremely interesting. things i could never guess, thank you for sharing

Reactions: SeventyOne
One of my best friends is in the chainsaws and I talk to this person every night after HHN. They are on their second pair of masks because the first one's stopped working because of rain and now these new ones are endangering not only themselves, but those around them because the CAN'T SEE. That's why people are lifting their masks. They have complained over and over again, but show direction insists for some asinine reason that the masks are an integral part of the costume that can't be cut, despite the fact that they all wear makeup on under the masks anyway (and imo the makeup looks cooler).
I didn’t get the information from a scareactor, but from a coordinator. Jake used to work with him so we’ve chatted it up during some nights. Like Nick said, the new masks were supposed to be a “better” replacement because the first set wouldn’t stay lit (rain), but the new lights actually got in the scareactors’ faces and kept them from being able to see. The solution, as he said, isn’t to get rid of the masks, but to paint the insides black, so that’s what they’re doing behind the scenes. That’s info as of Saturday. I also agree that the makeup looks way cooler, and, as I said, I wish that were permanent. It can certainly make their scares more effective.
If you want further details, people keep calling out this year because “their hands hurt” even though they’re fitness-tested for the chainsaws...whether that’s true and there’s a flaw with the LED chainsaws or people just don’t like the street, we don’t know, but they’re regularly throwing in reserves. They’re even starting to take regular fitness- but not chainsaw fitness-tested reserves and then giving them the experience the day of.

I didn’t get the information from a scareactor, but from a coordinator. Jake used to work with him so we’ve chatted it up during some nights. Like Nick said, the new masks were supposed to be a “better” replacement because the first set wouldn’t stay lit (rain), but the new lights actually got in the scareactors’ faces and kept them from being able to see. The solution, as he said, isn’t to get rid of the masks, but to paint the insides black, so that’s what they’re doing behind the scenes. That’s info as of Saturday. I also agree that the makeup looks way cooler, and, as I said, I wish that were permanent. It can certainly make their scares more effective.
If you want further details, people keep calling out this year because “their hands hurt” even though they’re fitness-tested for the chainsaws...whether that’s true and there’s a flaw with the LED chainsaws or people just don’t like the street, we don’t know, but they’re regularly throwing in reserves. They’re even starting to take regular fitness- but not chainsaw fitness-tested reserves and then giving them the experience the day of.
“Chainsaw hands” isn’t a new thing, but it’s possible it’s worse this year. It’s actually very easy to develop mild carpal tunnel doing a chainsaw role for this long considering the repetitive motion.

“Chainsaw hands” isn’t a new thing, but it’s possible it’s worse this year. It’s actually very easy to develop mild carpal tunnel doing a chainsaw role for this long considering the repetitive motion.
Has your buddy talked about the issues they’ve had with actually running the chainsaws? Not sure if it has to do with the fuel, but one of the scareactors came up to our coord and asked for the time. She said she really needed the set to be over so she could get a new chainsaw/get hers looked at as hers wasn’t starting. She, and at least one other scareactor, spent part of the night chasing people while yelling, “CHAINSAW!” because they couldn’t revv them up. It was actually a little bit funny. I’m pretty sure that’s from Cast B, at least, since I saw the coord around 7.

Reactions: MrBlonde

This explains a lot as to why the nahtazone feels like it's lost a step this year. Bad luck for sure.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
The Springfield area was standing out as having a lot of problems to me too, lots of CDT members walking and chatting with people and just overall lack of energy from a lot of them. I don't know what is up but to me all the streets feel like a mess this year.

I would even go as far as saying that for whatever reason the entire event feels like it is missing a level of polish.

If we're talking about the streets, absolutely.

Yep primarily for the streets although I noticed a few things within the houses this could be applied to as well.

Vanity Ball is a really good example of this. The concept is there. The roaming cast is not executing their scares. Looking all sexy and holding a bloody bag of organs doesn’t count as scaring. A couple of those girls could have gotten me good, but just chose to walk on by.

I had an amazing time. I’m sure you will too. I’m even going back again this weekend. The street actors consistently kept trying to scare me. I’m talking about all the zones too, I legit got a few good scares in every zone.

You honestly should be excited! This year features really strong designs and concepts. The weakest house this year would be considered a mid tier house a few years ago. Also, the best scare zone I’ve seen them pull off is featured at the event this year.

I was joking, but I'm glad you guys had such a great time. Attending Sunday night and next Wednesday, and I can't wait. :grin:

Reactions: JawsVictim