Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

The problem with the thing is that the prequel kind of soured a lot of people from the property.
And we had the prequel house already so people might still remember that

The remake house had sets that were basically the same as the 80s movie.

Last edited:
The problem with the thing is that the prequel kind of soured a lot of people from the property.
And we had the prequel house already so people might still remember that

The remake house had sets that were basically the same as the 80s movie.

I don’t believe any of this matters. A house based on 1982’s The Thing can drive marketing and check off the classic horror box for IPs. Most of the people who currently go to HHN, myself included, didn’t see either iterations of the property.

I mean, c’mon, they did the same exact AWiL house twice within three years, and the freakin’ Walking Dead five years in a row. They can do a house based on the 1982 version of The Thing by now. It’s fair game.

Stranger things interactive experience:
You stand in front of an interactive screen and you wave your arms to kill a demogorgon that comes close to you.

9Lt9IE4.jpg

So tonight I watched Supernatural for the first time in five years. I'm not going to bother with seasons 10-14, I'm just watching this final season for some closure to what's been a major part of my life--the first five seasons are my favorite show ever.

I get that TV show vs. special event in theme park is an apples and oranges comparison, but I'm still amazed at the stuff they can get away with that would result in a massive public outcry if ever showed up at HHN. The most obvious example is angels and demons--the angel that told Mary she was pregnant is (was, I guess) portrayed as a playboy who makes adult films. Yet, HHN was forced to remove any references to angels from The Fallen. They apparently made the ghost of JOHN WAYNE GACY a character--nowhere near long enough ago like Jack the Ripper. Also the rights issues with Bloody Mary don't apply to TV shows I guess :'(. Kinda like how Chernobyl would be acceptable ONLY if it's via Stranger Things.

It's so unpredictable as to what's "safe" and what isn't, and how that can change with the medium. Once again, this is one of many reasons I don't want an increased house count. They're going to have to mine for more ideas, which inevitably increases the likelihood of someone being offended. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So tonight I watched Supernatural for the first time in five years. I'm not going to bother with seasons 10-14, I'm just watching this final season for some closure to what's been a major part of my life--the first five seasons are my favorite show ever.

I get that TV show vs. special event in theme park is an apples and oranges comparison, but I'm still amazed at the stuff they can get away with that would result in a public outcry if ever showed up at HHN. The most obvious example is angels and demons--the angel that told Mary she was pregnant is (was, I guess) portrayed as a playboy who makes adult films. Yet, HHN was forced to remove any references to angels from The Fallen. They apparently made the ghost of JOHN WAYNE GACY a character--nowhere near long enough ago like Jack the Ripper. Also the rights issues with Bloody Mary don't apply to TV shows I guess. Kinda like how Chernobyl would be acceptable ONLY if it's via Stranger Things.

It's so unpredictable as to what's "safe" and what isn't, and how that can change with the medium. Once again, this is one of many reasons I don't want an increased house count. They're going to have to mine for more ideas, which inevitably increases the likelihood of someone being offended. :rolleyes:

Its kinda how south park and family guy does jokes that are pretty pretty outrageous but no one ever says anything. Kinda weird

Its kinda how south park and family guy does jokes that are pretty pretty outrageous but no one ever says anything. Kinda weird

Now TBF, back in the day people sure did. Hell, THE SIMPSONS was considered offensive back in the day.

The Simpsons Archive: "America's First Family"

So influential was this cartoon deemed that the President waded in. During his 1992 election campaign, George Bush railed, "We're going to keep trying to strengthen the American family. To make them more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons." (His wife, Barbara, called the show the "dumbest thing" she had ever seen... then later apologised.)

I don’t believe any of this matters. A house based on 1982’s The Thing can drive marketing and check off the classic horror box for IPs. Most of the people who currently go to HHN, myself included, didn’t see either iterations of the property.

I mean, c’mon, they did the same exact AWiL house twice within three years, and the freakin’ Walking Dead five years in a row. They can do a house based on the 1982 version of The Thing by now. It’s fair game.
I think y’all are missing the point. No one said it’s an impossible property or anything, it’s about as likely as most other big Horror IPs out there. We haven’t seen a NoES or Friday the 13th house too recently either. But that doesn’t change the fact that the property has been done before, even if the original movie itself hasn’t. That’s the point we’re getting at. The GP sees The Thing and thinks snowstorms, grey science bases, and Cronenberg alien monsters. No matter how different the movies may or may not be, The Thing house we got before is very similar to what we would get with a new Original movie house.

Don’t forget Halloween. How many times can you do a dude in a jumpsuit with a knife?

I think y’all are missing the point. No one said it’s an impossible property or anything, it’s about as likely as most other big Horror IPs out there. We haven’t seen a NoES or Friday the 13th house too recently either. But that doesn’t change the fact that the property has been done before, even if the original movie itself hasn’t. That’s the point we’re getting at. The GP sees The Thing and thinks snowstorms, grey science bases, and Cronenberg alien monsters. No matter how different the movies may or may not be, The Thing house we got before is very similar to what we would get with a new Original movie house.

this guy gets it

Some notes from tonight:

• Very busy, well into the 2am closing. Probably because of last night of TM access?
  • Nightingales really bringing the smoke now.
  • Monsters staying consistent.
  • Vanity Ball and Hellbilly definitely is the most fun so far - but overall, scare zones are lacking this year. Zombieland remains uninteresting to me. No fault of the actors.
  • SZ Meet & Greets didn't seem to be a problem tonight.
  • Ops has been better this year, but they need to take the HW approach and not be a part of the scene. It's so crappy to enter an awesome room with an Ops person smack dab in the middle, with a scare actor on each side. Kills the vibe.
  • Yeti cast was absolutely on fire tonight. Made one girl in front of me fall to the ground in the final rooms, making her bf drag her out because she was too terrified. All this going on with the group of women behind me also getting the bejeezus scared out of them, also too terrified to continue and trying to run out.