Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Some notes from tonight:

• Very busy, well into the 2am closing. Probably because of last night of TM access?
  • Nightingales really bringing the smoke now.
  • Monsters staying consistent.
  • Vanity Ball and Hellbilly definitely is the most fun so far - but overall, scare zones are lacking this year. Zombieland remains uninteresting to me. No fault of the actors.
  • SZ Meet & Greets didn't seem to be a problem tonight.
  • Ops has been better this year, but they need to take the HW approach and not be a part of the scene. It's so crappy to enter an awesome room with an Ops person smack dab in the middle, with a scare actor on each side. Kills the vibe.
  • Yeti cast was absolutely on fire tonight. Made one girl in front of me fall to the ground in the final rooms, making her bf drag her out because she was too terrified. All this going on with the group of women behind me also getting the bejeezus scared out of them, also too terrified to continue and trying to run out.
Whats the HW approach?

I have a feeling that they might bring back freddy or jason or leatherface for next year, maybe all 3 together.
It would make sense for the anniversary

The rights for Jason are an absolute nightmare right now, and it sounds like Freddy might be headed down the same direction. Not saying it's not possible, but I definitely have my doubts at the availability of those two.

Very busy, well into the 2am closing. Probably because of last night of TM access?

Trying to read the crowd, that was kind of my thought. But also a lot of families with young kids--younger even than the junior high mall crowd the first couple weeks.

Vanity Ball and Hellbilly definitely is the most fun so far - but overall, scare zones are lacking this year. Zombieland remains uninteresting to me. No fault of the actors.

Felt like some--tho by no means all--of the actors in Vanity Ball stepped up a bit last night. Vikings actors seemed a bit more intense as well, even as their zone turned into Times Square on NYE

Ops has been better this year, but they need to take the HW approach and not be a part of the scene. It's so crappy to enter an awesome room with an Ops person smack dab in the middle, with a scare actor on each side. Kills the vibe.

Agreed 100%. This is my biggest complaint about both Monsters and Nightingales.

I think y’all are missing the point. No one said it’s an impossible property or anything, it’s about as likely as most other big Horror IPs out there. We haven’t seen a NoES or Friday the 13th house too recently either. But that doesn’t change the fact that the property has been done before, even if the original movie itself hasn’t. That’s the point we’re getting at. The GP sees The Thing and thinks snowstorms, grey science bases, and Cronenberg alien monsters. No matter how different the movies may or may not be, The Thing house we got before is very similar to what we would get with a new Original movie house.

I get your point. What I’m saying is I want to see that because I haven’t experienced previous iterations before. Just like how I was excited for Halloween at 24 or FVJ at 25. I hadn’t seen those characters at HHN before and was excited to live in their cinematic realms. Same for The Thing: I want to experience a house that captures the cinematic experience of the film.

I get your point. What I’m saying is I want to see that because I haven’t experienced previous iterations before. Just like how I was excited for Halloween at 24 or FVJ at 25. I hadn’t seen those characters at HHN before and was excited to live in their cinematic realms. Same for The Thing: I want to experience a house that captures the cinematic experience of the film.

You didn't miss much. At least for The Thing: Assimilation. I didn't attend 21 for "The Thing"
The one scene in Silver Screams was better than that whole house. MacReady was there in the dog pen warning you. It was cool!

I understand the GP doesn't see things the same way but I'm a huge fan (its my favorite movie) like you and I also prefer a true house based on the Carpenter film one day.

You didn't miss much. At least for The Thing: Assimilation. I didn't attend 21 for "The Thing"
The one scene in Silver Screams was better than that whole house. MacReady was there in the dog pen warning you. It was cool!

I understand the GP doesn't see things the same way but I'm a huge fan (its my favorite movie) like you and I also prefer a true house based on the Carpenter film one day.
I just want to hear the movie's version of "you've gotta be kidding me" in a house. :)

I'd love to see another Thing house at the event and seeing Rick Bottins effects being reenacted and some of the cool other scenes from the movie but I think that's still on their list but not on the top you know, I'd honestly after seeing Universal Monsters would really like to see a Titans Of Terror house, definitely would be awesome to see that, Freddy, Jason, Leatherface and Michael all in one house you know, Hollywood had gotten to do it with Freddy, Jason and Leatherface, but I think we could do it a bit better over here.

Ops is cloaked, and away from the action. They only get involved when there seems to be an issue. They take a more reactive approach than precautionary.

This is all true, but in fairness, this year they're sort of the other end of the extreme... not really interceding enough when there are issues, leading to unnecessary stand-stills and guest-on-performer harassment. But I'd still take that over what you guys are dealing with.

This is all true, but in fairness, this year they're sort of the other end of the extreme... not really interceding enough when there are issues, leading to unnecessary stand-stills and guest-on-performer harassment. But I'd still take that over what you guys are dealing with.

Strongly disagree. During my visit they were shouting to keep the line moving in every house. ST ops TMs were the worst offenders followed by Us. Totally ruined the atmosphere.

Having experienced HHN Hollywood, I agree ops should be cloaked, placed away from interactions, and only react when necessary.

EDIT: Sorry I misunderstood the post. Thought this was meant as a comment on UO’s HHN ops this year. My bad.

Last edited:
I just don't care for the guy that has to awkwardly stare at guests while standing next to the containment unit in GB. I know it's not a major scene or anything, but he's literally right next to the only set piece in that room. They could have at least built him a little cubby hole to stand in.

No, performers shouldn’t have to get harassed so that guests can have a better “show”. Sorry, but some scareactors are in very vulnerable positions or can’t see due to costumes and will end up taking a beating due to that. At least in Orlando, I know ops is usually pinpointing those individuals for security before the end of the house. They don’t pay enough for people to deal with some of this crap, but it’s fine bc it’s a better experience on the guest end.

/endrant

That's my biggest pet peeve in the houses is when the OPS folks are yelling to keep the line moving... It's very frustrating and takes you completely out of the environment. I think they have gotten a lot better with it since my first trip in 2013 though

No, performers shouldn’t have to get harassed so that guests can have a better “show”. Sorry, but some scareactors are in very vulnerable positions or can’t see due to costumes and will end up taking a beating due to that. At least in Orlando, I know ops is usually pinpointing those individuals for security before the end of the house. They don’t pay enough for people to deal with some of this crap, but it’s fine bc it’s a better experience on the guest end.

/endrant

Ops doesn’t do crap when it comes to unruly guests. I’ve seen this as a scareactor and as a guest.

Also, there are Ops who are being purposefully distracting from show elements. This has included yelling to keep moving even though the line is moving fine, trying to get high fives in the middle of rooms, and (this is the most extreme and I’ve only have seen it twice) intentionally scaring guests.

Ops doesn’t do crap when it comes to unruly guests. I’ve seen this as a scareactor and as a guest.

Also, there are Ops who are being purposefully distracting from show elements. This has included yelling to keep moving even though the line is moving fine, trying to get high fives in the middle of rooms, and (this is the most extreme and I’ve only have seen it twice) intentionally scaring guests.
I can say that it’s been different this year. You may not see it, but it’s making a difference.

/endrant

I'm sorry, but I have to push back a bit on this. Not all of this is the ops fault - for whatever reason, after 29 years of doing this, design continues to fail to account for their presence in the mazes. Scenes - especially those with actors in vulnerable positions - need to be designed with the understanding of op placement and functionality. This isn't done 90% of the time and results in bad, awkward show for everyone.

I haven't attended Orlando's event since 2015, but their ops program has always been overly aggressive in yelling at guests to be as close as humanly possible to he people in front of them. It's been rare that I've seen ops actually intercede or assist with an actor in peril. I'm not saying it doesn't happen... I'm saying this barely seems to be the focus of their presence.

These mazes need to be built with foresight on where ops will be placed so as not to distract from the scene and also in a way where they can actually assist performers. Ops also need to be radically retrained to focus on optimizing guest flow, avoiding unnecessary interruptions, and assist actors as necessary. Currently, the overwhelming consensus is that's not happening.

I'm sorry, but I have to push back a bit on this. Not all of this is the ops fault - for whatever reason, after 29 years of doing this, design continues to fail to account for their presence in the mazes. Scenes - especially those with actors in vulnerable positions - need to be designed with the understanding of op placement and functionality. This isn't done 90% of the time and results in bad, awkward show for everyone.

I haven't attended Orlando's event since 2015, but their ops program has always been overly aggressive in yelling at guests to be as close as humanly possible to he people in front of them. It's been rare that I've seen ops actually intercede or assist with an actor in peril. I'm not saying it doesn't happen... I'm saying this barely seems to be the focus of their presence.

These mazes need to be built with foresight on where ops will be placed so as not to distract from the scene and also in a way where they can actually assist performers. Ops also need to be radically retrained to focus on optimizing guest flow, avoiding unnecessary interruptions, and assist actors as necessary. Currently, the overwhelming consensus is that's not happening.
I agree problems all start with A&D, but once the problems are discovered (obviously many could be avoided, but there’s only so many ways to build boo holes/show areas), things need to be done to protect to protect the actors in place. Not just this ho-hum attitude saying you’d rather actors get hit so the line moves unimpeded. That just reeks of elitist BS.

I agree problems all start with A&D, but once the problems are discovered (obviously many could be avoided, but there’s only so many ways to build boo holes/show areas), things need to be done to protect to protect the actors in place. Not just this ho-hum attitude saying you’d rather actors get hit so the line moves unimpeded. That just reeks of elitist BS.

Except that's not what I said, at all. I said that over in Hollywood, our ops are too passive and are literally doing nothing when performers get harassed. That's not great, but I'd rather the passive situation where performers deal with it themselves (not sure how Orlando deals with that) than the drill sergeant ops ruining the maze for performers AND guests.