Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Those Amulets also didn't sell very well.
And if I recall Ops was even having people turn them off or remove them when in some of the houses. I know a lot of scare actors did not like them, they had a tendency to be very bright in an otherwise dark space so they became blinding for some people.

On the last night, lanyards with the amulet were $11. I paid the $11 and asked to only have the lanyard:lol:. By no means did I want to lug that thing around the park.

I have a question, sorry if it's been answered. Why was Eddie pulled as an icon? I saw this

However, due to the 9/11/2001 terror attacks on the U.S., Eddie was pulled and replaced by the return of the previous event's icon, Jack the Clown.

What made him be pulled because of the attacks but Jack was allowed? I went to HHN last year for the first time (being from the UK) so don't know much about Eddie.

I have a question, sorry if it's been answered. Why was Eddie pulled as an icon? I saw this

However, due to the 9/11/2001 terror attacks on the U.S., Eddie was pulled and replaced by the return of the previous event's icon, Jack the Clown.

What made him be pulled because of the attacks but Jack was allowed? I went to HHN last year for the first time (being from the UK) so don't know much about Eddie.

This is from my memory so take it as you will.. Eddie was a bit more on the violent side than Jack (them being brothers) and was meant to have a gorier and more menacing vibe that contrasts Jack's humorous form of horror. Also, Eddie was a new icon and I believe Jack had already become somewhat familiar with the general public.
Along with Eddie being pulled, all of the houses and the event as a whole was toned down in terms of violence. I think one house was originally meant to be called "terror-land" which was pulled and became a different house

This is from my memory so take it as you will.. Eddie was a bit more on the violent side than Jack (them being brothers) and was meant to have a gorier and more menacing vibe that contrasts Jack's humorous form of horror. Also, Eddie was a new icon and I believe Jack had already become somewhat familiar with the general public.
Along with Eddie being pulled, all of the houses and the event as a whole was toned down in terms of violence. I think one house was originally meant to be called "terror-land" which was pulled and became a different house

Eddie along with being more violent was I believe to some too similar looking to 9/11 first responders. And yes, in general the whole event was toned down. No red blood, etc. The house known as "Terror-Land" ended up becoming Scary Tales so it certainly wasn't all "bad" in the slightest.

Eddie along with being more violent was I believe to some too similar looking to 9/11 first responders. And yes, in general the whole event was toned down. No red blood, etc. The house known as "Terror-Land" ended up becoming Scary Tales so it certainly wasn't all "bad" in the slightest.

Thankyou guys for the quick answers! I can understand with Terror-land and the gore but was confused about Eddie. If it was because he looked similar to the first responders then that does make sense.

Those Amulets also didn't sell very well.

I'm not shocked. Usually, I'm the one throwing huge money at the merch every HHN, but even I couldn't bring myself to buy that crap. It seemed clumsy, silly and clearly a cash grab. Kind of insulting, really. No way do I think A&D came up with that. Their stuff is much more interesting and fun... like all the stuff we did for Horror Unearthed.

I am so looking forward to the merch this year! Classic Monsters and Ghostbusters? Yes, please. Take all my money now. My only wish is that someone would figure out that it would be a good idea to make HHN luggage tags. I'd kill for that. Pass on the amulets and make luggage tags!!!

I hope we get something soon.. want to keep the chatter and momentum going. I just booked the first of four flights for this year's event.. and now I'm stoked. It's so tough because I also love the summer, so I don't want to rush through summer.. but I love HHN, and I don't want to wait.. yeah, my life is hard.

More specifically, Eddie's original story was that he was horror movie junkie who basically went on a rampage killing people to recreate his favorite movies. It was very visceral and, more notably, realistic.

After 9/11, Universal reversed course on "realistic." Jack, who's story already presented him as an undying zombie, was a familiar and far more over-the-top character was brought back and slight adjustments were made to all of the Eddie key art to make him a clown as well.

So excited to be living in Florida starting next week and can hopefully watch the house of 1000 facade be built in person!

Curious to see what they do with it being in the MiB Tent. Captain Spaulding’s Museum of Monsters and Madness might be too big of a facade but if they went the Blumhouse route then the movie poster would be cool, although a little lame.

Curious to see what they do with it being in the MiB Tent. Captain Spaulding’s Museum of Monsters and Madness might be too big of a facade but if they went the Blumhouse route then the movie poster would be cool, although a little lame.

If they went the Blumhouse 1 route and projected this alternating with maybe some clips from the movies (including trailer for 3 From Hell), that would suffice.

More specifically, Eddie's original story was that he was horror movie junkie who basically went on a rampage killing people to recreate his favorite movies. It was very visceral and, more notably, realistic.

After 9/11, Universal reversed course on "realistic." Jack, who's story already presented him as an undying zombie, was a familiar and far more over-the-top character was brought back and slight adjustments were made to all of the Eddie key art to make him a clown as well.

Even more specifically, Edgar Sawyer’s backstory did not have a familial relationship to Jack. The opening scaremonies were suppose to have Eddie walking out with the CDT carrying Jack’s head.

Edgar Sawyer’s backstory was one of revenge and carnage. The mask was melted to his face because he had been trapped in a fire. The fire occurred in his home haunt and was set by bullies. Somewhere someone must still have the Vault’s article that explained Eddie's original backstory. I’ll see if I can find the link.

I’m surprised Jack is still as popular as he is. It’s probably because most people don’t know his original backstory, and Universal has done its best to retcon him.

Edit: Confused Eddie’s original story with Cindy’s. He donned the mask to hide the scars. It wasn’t melted to his face.

Found link to original backstory:

HHN ICON: Eddie | Horror Night Nightmares

Last edited: