Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are numerous reasons why they haven't. As some have pointed out, barriers of any kind between the boo hole and the guest result in some loss of scare efficacy. Many performers prefer to have more control and proximity in their scare styles and get frustrated when barriers or other limitations get introduced. Depending on the location and layout of the maze, barriers can also represent a liability: out in Hollywood, many scares are accessed from guest pathways, meaning you can't put up a giant barrier or there's no way to enter/exit the hole. I imagine there are similar situations in Orlando's narrower/more compact venues.

My stance is the plexiglass is pandemic theater to begin with. It doesn't actually help anyone, and in fact, it might make things worse for ventilation. The verbiage I've always heard is that Horror Nights is a contact sport, and while it isn't right, you have to expect there will be physical contact with the guests in both accidental and malicious varieties. There just isn't going to be a scenario where you can stop scare actor-guest incidents - you can only try and take reasonable preventative measures - consider exit points for a position, make adjustments if a particular spot is leading to a higher-than-normal frequency of incidents, kick out guests that are obviously intoxicated or looking for trouble.
Well said! I’m hoping to avoid distancing at this event, even if everyone is still in masks. Still a long ways to go before that is decided. But I think the plexiglass was fine for last year, but that doesn’t need to come back. It was the worst part of last year’s operations (though understandable for the time).

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this - but I'd love to see them bring back some of the general Halloween festivities that we saw in 2020. Scarecrow Stalk, trick r treating, etc.
They should do a adult HHN Scarecrow stalk and make them harder to fund and the prize be discounts to a drink at the end! Maybe if you complete it you get a exclusive secret blinky cup design to purchase

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I would completely lose it on someone if I saw them assault a scareactor. I've seen these conversations before, and it just makes my blood boil. People can be so stupid.

I do hope there isn't a need for the plexiglass. As I mentioned previously, it was the one thing that made me realize it was actually good HHN was canceled last year. I love the in your face moments at HHN. Those are the memories that stick. There was one scareactor in Texas Chainsaw a few years ago who was a friend of a friend of mine. My friend got word to him that we were coming through. He had already given the scareactor photos of me. When I came around the corner, this scareactor grabbed me and put his "knife" against my throat. Honest to god, it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in an HHN house. Needless to say, he definitely startled me! It was AWESOME!

Also, we have had so many up close interactions in scarezones, and that is what I live for! Here is to hoping "back to normal" happens sooner than later.

I have a question about Tooth Fairy. If it comes back this year and restrictions are down and the pandemic isn't as big as a deal will the house be exactly the same as it was? Or will it have new scenes and more actors and build it as it intentionally was suppose to be, or that was how the house was always suppose to be. Sorry if this was confusing or it was previously asked.

I have a question about Tooth Fairy. If it comes back this year and restrictions are down and the pandemic isn't as big as a deal will the house be exactly the same as it was? Or will it have new scenes and more actors and build it as it intentionally was suppose to be, or that was how the house was always suppose to be. Sorry if this was confusing or it was previously asked.

Stepping aside the "pandemic as big a deal" aspect, I will say there will be no new scenes, maybe more actors. They're not going to change anything already done.

Well said! I’m hoping to avoid distancing at this event, even if everyone is still in masks. Still a long ways to go before that is decided. But I think the plexiglass was fine for last year, but that doesn’t need to come back. It was the worst part of last year’s operations (though understandable for the time).

I would make the argument that plexiglass might belong at the event even more-so in 2021. You're potentially going to have a crowd mixed up of people who have received vaccinations, people who will never bother to be vaccinated and people who just haven't been able to be vaccinated yet. So unless you're only going to allow actors working who have been vaccinated themselves, the extra protection for them should absolutely not be ignored, even if it does make the event less "enjoyable".

Again, the event is great fun for everyone but let's not forget that it needs to be a safe event first and foremost and that needs to be directed at the people whose job it is to be working at the event before event goers. Everyone wants the event back in full but that doesn't mean it should or will be back in full.

I would make the argument that plexiglass might belong at the event even more-so in 2021. You're potentially going to have a crowd mixed up of people who have received vaccinations, people who will never bother to be vaccinated and people who just haven't been able to be vaccinated yet. So unless you're only going to allow actors working who have been vaccinated themselves, the extra protection for them should absolutely not be ignored, even if it does make the event less "enjoyable".

Again, the event is great fun for everyone but let's not forget that it needs to be a safe event first and foremost and that needs to be directed at the people whose job it is to be working at the event before event goers. Everyone wants the event back in full but that doesn't mean it should or will be back in full.

This. I recognize wanting to be positive, but realism has to win out at some point. 2022 will be back to normal -- 2021 is gonna be another sacrifice year.

If the JP coaster goes well with it's opening, is there anyway they maybe eased enough to roll out tickets?
I don't expect them until at least May, but some people have vocalized otherwise.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
If the JP coaster goes well with it's opening, is there anyway they maybe eased enough to roll out tickets?
I don't expect them until at least May, but some people have vocalized otherwise.

Is there "anyway maybe"? Sure. All people can give is their opinion and it means nothing as nobody knows what Universal's release plan is. Even if Legacy responds, it's just a very educated guess. Hell, Universal doesn't even know their own release plan as stuff is always leaked accidentally first :)

I'm sure we'll start getting the "My friend's boyfriend works at Universal and he was told that XYZ." and those probably turn out to be true about 25% of the time. That's not to say that the poster lied, or the friend lied, or the boyfriend lied, or the person who told the boyfriend the info lied...it could all just be a misunderstanding and a game of telephone. Or the poster could just be someone who wants to feel important and makes something up to get attention. Both instances happen every speculation season and with the lack of speculation around houses (1 to possibly 3 houses are the only ones that can be speculated about) there are going to be some people trying to fill the void with false information for their own entertainment.

But back to your question, if the rollout goes well and it's very busy there will probably be some "lessons learned" for how to handle some stuff and maybe some more implementation of the virtual queue that could be adopted for HHN. But a single ride in one park opening during the day for regular day park guests to be an apples to apples comparison to a separate park, add on ticket, night time event, with ~20 special attractions (houses, zones, shows, and mini-zone shows) isn't very helpful. Not to mention the night time / alcohol / "all rules are off" mentality of some guests that are all very different than during the day.

Also, if they rollout tickets and people like us scoop them up ASAP worried about limited availability and the like and they have to cancel the event, that's a major headache for them and us. Stuff like the food lanyards for Mardis Gras from last year, they didn't refund unused food & beverage tickets/credits when they closed the park and cancelled the event, they told everybody they could be reused next year. Would they refund the tickets? Or would they just tell us to hold onto them and say your ticket is good for 2022* (*so long as 2022 is a go)

We have discussed the route when Universal feels like it's time they just go and reveal most of the houses/zones at the same time. I personally feel like a live event type showcase is the best way of handling it. Hype it up on social media as a full event reveal, preload it to YouTube as a livestream.

I could see it being something like this...
-Begins with the TV spot.
-Mike and a few others in the creative department talk a little bit about the event this year casually and how it may work as far as Covid safety precautions and the rumored virtual queue system is concerned.
-House reveals.
-Mike (or whoever is running the show) briefly go over each house individually.
-Scare zones.
-Location and Analysis of zones.
-Food and overarching theme.
-Ticket prices and packages
-Closing thoughts and conclusion.
Is there "anyway maybe"? Sure. All people can give is their opinion and it means nothing as nobody knows what Universal's release plan is. Even if Legacy responds, it's just a very educated guess. Hell, Universal doesn't even know their own release plan as stuff is always leaked accidentally first :)

I'm sure we'll start getting the "My friend's boyfriend works at Universal and he was told that XYZ." and those probably turn out to be true about 25% of the time. That's not to say that the poster lied, or the friend lied, or the boyfriend lied, or the person who told the boyfriend the info lied...it could all just be a misunderstanding and a game of telephone. Or the poster could just be someone who wants to feel important and makes something up to get attention. Both instances happen every speculation season and with the lack of speculation around houses (1 to possibly 3 houses are the only ones that can be speculated about) there are going to be some people trying to fill the void with false information for their own entertainment.

But back to your question, if the rollout goes well and it's very busy there will probably be some "lessons learned" for how to handle some stuff and maybe some more implementation of the virtual queue that could be adopted for HHN. But a single ride in one park opening during the day for regular day park guests to be an apples to apples comparison to a separate park, add on ticket, night time event, with ~20 special attractions (houses, zones, shows, and mini-zone shows) isn't very helpful. Not to mention the night time / alcohol / "all rules are off" mentality of some guests that are all very different than during the day.

Also, if they rollout tickets and people like us scoop them up ASAP worried about limited availability and the like and they have to cancel the event, that's a major headache for them and us. Stuff like the food lanyards for Mardis Gras from last year, they didn't refund unused food & beverage tickets/credits when they closed the park and cancelled the event, they told everybody they could be reused next year. Would they refund the tickets? Or would they just tell us to hold onto them and say your ticket is good for 2022* (*so long as 2022 is a go)
This was very helpful, I think JP may just give us a step closer to seeing something soon. I was actually under the impression that Jurassic was opening in the Summer, but with soft opens looking like they could happen sooner then expected I think it may give them an idea about turnout. (If the opening few days of Bride and Tooth weren't enough xD, WHAT A NIGHTMARE!)

All this talk about plexiglass but I also hope the pulsing in houses return if nothing else that was a huge win in my book and if that can somehow return in a way that would be amazing, might be longer waits or something and less house runs each night but I agree I think 2021 won't be normal anyways so I want that aspect to return if we are doing a modified HHN even at cost of less house runs

I don't think any scenes themselves will change like they will in Beetlejuice. However, I think obviously if the plexiglass were to be removed that would certainly ramp up the scares in certain rooms where you could kind of see it coming with the plexiglass. Also, I could see more scares in the laundry room area towards the end of the house - I think that was a bit muted last year. But I don't think you'll see any big differences as far as different rooms or scenes, just a difference in location & amount of scareactors would be my bet.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I don't think any scenes themselves will change like they will in Beetlejuice. However, I think obviously if the plexiglass were to be removed that would certainly ramp up the scares in certain rooms where you could kind of see it coming with the plexiglass. Also, I could see more scares in the laundry room area towards the end of the house - I think that was a bit muted last year. But I don't think you'll see any big differences as far as different rooms or scenes, just a difference in location & amount of scareactors would be my bet.
Like in beetlejuice?

Reactions: JJ591

I agree that there are likely going to need to be precautions. My point is that the plexiglass has always been useless and only serves as theater. I could maybe buy its implementation early on when theme parks were eager to demonstrate the lengths they were willing to go to reopen (and we knew less about how the virus spreads), but at this point, they don't actually help anything.

They sold tickets with vacation packages last year. I bought one of those packages and the refund process was pretty smooth.

All this talk about plexiglass but I also hope the pulsing in houses return if nothing else that was a huge win in my book and if that can somehow return in a way that would be amazing, might be longer waits or something and less house runs each night but I agree I think 2021 won't be normal anyways so I want that aspect to return if we are doing a modified HHN even at cost of less house runs
Pulsing was great. That's one thing I will miss when HHN goes back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.