Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 250 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how much of a draw a Weeknd house would be to non haunted house fans. I know if my favorite band put on a 90min concert and told me to go experience their other medium thing, and it was paying $100 to wait in line for 90 minutes to experience snippits of a few songs lasting a total of less than 3 minutes I'd feel pretty ripped off. Not to mention $30 to just park at the event.

That's a pretty hard sell. Especially when the event is only in two cities and not on tour.

Bands/Artists have done art/photo exhibits, book tours, etc that never seem to move the needle. Huge A-list actors, like Johnny Depp (pre Amber Heard), have had bands that played in small clubs and not arenas and stadiums as the demand just isn't there. You want your favorite singer to sing and your favorite actor to act.

Now, anybody on the fence about going...or people who are already going to Universal and make a knee jerk reaction seeing in park sineage very well might be drawn in because of the Weeknd, but I think the draw of concert goers in the north east, mid west, or internationally will be minimal.
As both a mega fan of Horror Nights and a fairly invested fan of The Weeknd, I'm most excited for his involvement. I think other casual fans will be intrigued enough to build a lot of hype around it.

There a indeed post floating around for new cabana bay seasonal hiring with last year jack experience on it I think people on Facebook think jack is going to be at the event

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Is there still more AP rates to be released? I'm still holding off for opening weekend bookings just in case

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to ask

Last edited:
I don't know how much of a draw a Weeknd house would be to non haunted house fans. I know if my favorite band put on a 90min concert and told me to go experience their other medium thing, and it was paying $100 to wait in line for 90 minutes to experience snippits of a few songs lasting a total of less than 3 minutes I'd feel pretty ripped off. Not to mention $30 to just park at the event.

That's a pretty hard sell. Especially when the event is only in two cities and not on tour.

Bands/Artists have done art/photo exhibits, book tours, etc that never seem to move the needle. Huge A-list actors, like Johnny Depp (pre Amber Heard), have had bands that played in small clubs and not arenas and stadiums as the demand just isn't there. You want your favorite singer to sing and your favorite actor to act.

Now, anybody on the fence about going...or people who are already going to Universal and make a knee jerk reaction seeing in park sineage very well might be drawn in because of the Weeknd, but I think the draw of concert goers in the north east, mid west, or internationally will be minimal.
I think it can depend on the fan base and how deeply dedicated they can be. Example being I feel like The Weeknd clearly has a lot of fans, but, they’re leaned more on the casual side whereas I’ve heard of people with pit tickets for Harry Styles camping out for a week for a *chance* at getting barricade. Both male pop artists (though the comparisons probably stop there), just different levels of intense fandom.

i know someone could say " fans of Rob Zombie showed up for his street and house, why wont they show up For The Weeknd?"
and that could be a valid point, but even if you remove the fact that Rob Zombie does horror movies or even if he wasnt a horror director,
i think that his music and his videos and concerts already have a horror movie element, his lyrics, the way he even looks, his face, his clothes, rob zombie already resembles horror. his fans are already horror fans. metal and horror overlaps Bigly (Gwar, king diamond, slipknot, IRON MAIDEN, mushroomhead etc.) so having a metal house at a horror haunted house event already overlaps.
but Universal wants to bring new guests and new fans outside of horror and universal wants to bring in younger audiences ( the same way Stranger Things did)
so i get the reasoning with WEEKND and Billie Eilish, i understand.
metal is not as big as pop or rap, i understand that youngsters dont vibe with metal,
but i also completely agree with NEO,
( if my favorite band put on a 90min concert and told me to go experience their other medium thing, and it was paying $100 to wait in line for 90 minutes to experience snippits of a few songs lasting a total of less than 3 minutes I'd feel pretty ripped off. Not to mention $30 to just park at the event.)
not only that but imagine if a younger fan brings their family or something.... what if kids come to it

the WEEKNDs music i like a lot. hes wonderful, and his videos have horror elements, but this is such a wild card, i hope the house is great, i hope they make it extra scary to quiet the doubters, but at the same time, how scary can you make it?
how do you please his fans but do a good horror house?

Reactions: LivingDeadLive
But this [The Weeknd House] is such a wild card
That's exactly what makes it so intriguing and refreshing to me as a long time HHN goer

I believe they could really have something unique with a Weeknd house and it's my most anticipated

Of course, there are examples where things didn't work, particularly in the music artist sphere

But this one just lends itself to what Horror Nights is good at.

Watch some of his music videos back again and tell me they don't lend themselves to the "flashy light, loud noise, big set" vibe HHN has lol

As far as scary, there is great opportunity for it to be rather disorienting, particularly the light tunnel from the Superbowl show, should they choose to re-create that

Bottom Line, TLDR, HHN needs some wild cards to keep it fresh, and in a IP heavy environment where the holders can be very specific on creative liberites,

I will take the refreshing wild cards where I can

How do you please his [Abel's] fans but do a good horror house?
This is an interesting question that I think is best answered by pointing to things like Stranger Things, Walking Dead, and American Horror Story

One thing the HHN team is really good at is immersing you in the vibe and aesthetic of the world they're recreating, they are the best in the business at that

So just being immersed in the "world" will already gain some browny points

The team also relies a bit on intertextuality (i.e. HEY IT'S THE THING I SEEN BEFORE IN TEH SHOW) to further immerse and connect with the audience

After all that, then there is the fun bit of choosing where things jump out at you and they have that down to a science (almost sometimes to a fault)

Last edited:
It's been such a long time since we had a music house in Orlando. Alice Cooper: Welcome to my Nightmare received a mixed reaction compared to Hollywood the year before. While we could have gotten Billie Eilish in 2020, it now has been 10 years since Orlando has done a music house. We haven’t seen the full potential yet of what A&D can design today with a music house concept.

As said before, The Weeknd is a wild card, but in my opinion one that has a lot of potential to succeed. It's a refreshing wild card too, especially with the potential set design and lighting we have seen in The Weeknd's concerts and videos that already takes a lot of inspiration from horror. It's at the top of my list of most "intrigued IP house" for HHN31.

It's been such a long time since we had a music house in Orlando. Alice Cooper: Welcome to my Nightmare received a mixed reaction compared to Hollywood the year before. While we could have gotten Billie Eilish in 2020, it now has been 10 years since Orlando has done a music house. We haven’t seen the full potential yet of what A&D can design today with a music house concept.

As said before, The Weeknd is a wild card, but in my opinion one that has a lot of potential to succeed. It's a refreshing wild card too, especially with the potential set design and lighting we have seen in The Weeknd's concerts and videos that already takes a lot of inspiration from horror. It's at the top of my list of most "intrigued IP house" for HHN31.
Yes, actually this year in general is rather intriguing, last year was very exciting because HHN was back, but rather hollow in execution upon further reflection.

As far as the rumored Eilish house, I was unsure how they would translate the often minimalist visuals into a house and shared my concerns

Yet, I was still greatly intrigued on how it would translate into a house as it could have opened some interesting opportunity for experimentation

The same goes with Weeknd

The Rob Zombie zone got a great big yawn from me personally as did Cooper...I'm finding I'm more pop than I used to think lol

Reactions: rinacee
Is there still more AP rates to be released? I'm still holding off for opening weekend bookings just in case

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to ask

Yes I’m patiently waiting for AP rates and Frequent Fear passes to be released. But based on current availability on what I’m seeing in mid to late October, there might not be many discounts this year. It appears that this year could have more non-locals than normal, if hotel occupancy is any indication.

Yes I’m patiently waiting for AP rates and Frequent Fear passes to be released. But based on current availability on what I’m seeing in mid to late October, there might not be many discounts this year. It appears that this year could have more non-locals than normal, if hotel occupancy is any indication.

This is my first year going, I booked 6 months ago. My 6th visit to Universal since moving to Texas 10 years ago, but first HHN.
People are very eager to travel, I expect the on site hotels to fully book up.

How much creative control does an artist have in this type of situation? Can they demand approval of set design? *Not sure if set is the right word*

Reactions: dxwwf3
Status
Not open for further replies.