Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear | Page 128 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
TO ANY AND ALL HHN CAST:

Here are some of my thoughts based on last night's HHN Team Member preview. Feel free to read and apply any and all that do not violate your training:

FRIGHTENINGLY GOOD: Great job! The normal "role" for any theme park cast member has to get so mundane, but the TMs at HHN always show out hardcore to scare the bejesus out of us. Well done. I can't give specific props (spoilers), but one of you definitely "floored" me.

FEAR IN THEORY: Just a thought: when you pop out at somebody, pose your body into something a body is normally NOT. Don't just walk out being "creepy" -- "creepy" rarely registers in strobe lights. Remember that our eyes are not as well adjusted as yours, and the deafening soundtrack dulls our senses even more. Dozens of you are popping out at us; startle not just with your effect and the jumpiness, but with how unnatural YOU are.

FROZEN IN FEAR: HHN is a very smoothly running machine. The park transitions with incredible detail and the organization is incredible. Inside the houses there were moments, however, when the Team Members helping us keep order were rather pushy with the walk-through speed. I know the goal is to keep wait times low, but it's hard to really take in the details and effects of a house when people are shouting, out-of-character and theme of the house, to keep moving. Encourage, but don't hassle.

THE MEANING OF "SCARE ZONE": Dear Universal -- I know you probably keep the "Scare Zones" contained so that little old grandmothers and tag-along wee ones don't have nightmares forever because the chaos is EVERYWHERE. But a lot of the park felt un-frightening. Here are some thoughts that would scare me:
- More chainsaw dudes in more unexpected places. Always, always, always more chainsaws.
- Monsters / creatures in the bushes. Make the park come alive. (Granted, the special lighting on the attractions and buildings, plus the themed decorations, are incredible, so maybe this issue is a wash...)
- Scare actors who make noise or talk -- every zombie or creature in a scarezone is a Silent Bob. What about giving it a motivation, personalizing it based on the passing guest/victim? "FEED ME YOUR BABY!", perhaps, is an extreme example. This is exactly why zombies are not scary -- they have no purpose except to moan and meander.
- Scare actors in groups -- a traveling troupe of escaped murderers, maniacs, werewolves, (even zombies, god forbid), and so on. In other words, traveling scare zones that will be witnessed and then popularized by word-of-mouth -- therefore adding to the fear and suspense. "There's a group of chain-saw freaks coming this way! Better turn around!"

I said this in my previous post and I'll repeat it here: Enjoy the houses and even repeat some, time permitting. I'll admit that I'm biased against shows (they take forever and they often underwhelm). I did not see Bill & Ted, but while waiting for Orfanage we could hear it and...well...I'm biased. But hey, it was a technical rehearsal, so maybe they'll make changes? Hopefully they will use last night's reactions to make the final product awesome -- Universal usually does with HHN.

Go scare yourself silly!

That sucks snoman, I'm going Saturday so I'll try to take as many videos and pictures as possible. Also checkout @magiccitymayhem he's already posted quite a few pics and videos on youtube already.

On another note:

It looks like Hallowd Past and Legendery Truth are the top two houses this year based on quick reviews and ratings.

Havoc is leading the way to be the most dissappointing as wel ass Orfanage. Hades and PS have been good reviews as well and Zombiegeddon is continually described with the word "fun."

The only truly scary zone is SnS while the others were said to be a bit campy and fun as well.

So I'm super stoked for Saturday as I think this year looks great.

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone is liking Hallow'd Past, but I'm reserving judgement until I actually see it myself. I don't critique houses harshly and I actually try to enjoy myself in every house. So we'll see.

--- Update ---

Um so were there no pins?

My review is VERY long. Long enough where it could warrant it's own topic. It goes into detail on this I like and I didn't if you wish to read here is the link.

LINK

In short though...Jake was not blown away.

Reactions: Felipe
I'm glad everyone is liking Hallow'd Past, but I'm reserving judgement until I actually see it myself. I don't critique houses harshly and I actually try to enjoy myself in every house. So we'll see.

--- Update ---

Um so were there no pins?

One pin suppossedly, and it was words only no picture of Fear on it.

My review is VERY long. Long enough where it could warrant it's own topic. It goes into detail on this I like and I didn't if you wish to read here is the link.

LINK

Awww that sucks that you weren't so impressed... :( Hopefully it was just because it was a preview and they'll make improvements, crank it up and be top notch once it opens officially. I hope so!

Yeah I've never heard of a preview with a super outstanding review. Think of it as an underwhelming movie trailer of sorts.

Felipe I saw all your merch pics. Thank you so much. Did you see the pin?

Ok everyone I'm outta here, I'm not taking a laptop with me to Orlando so I will be socially disconnected......except for Twitter, I will update periodically and try to do some pics as well, so if you want to follow me I'm @MarcVyrus

You can watch a live stream of Horror Nights Opening Night.

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT STREAMS FIRST-EVER LIVE FOOTAGE FROM INSIDE HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS XX
WHAT: This Friday, Universal Orlando Resort invites viewers to watch the first –ever live online stream from inside Halloween Horror Nights on www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com/orlando/news.

Viewers will get an early look at Halloween Horror Nights XX as guests anxiously await the opening of the event. Then they will get a first-ever live look inside one of this year’s haunted houses as guests experience the terror first-hand.

For 24 nights beginning September 24 and running through October 31, Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando Resort will reveal Fear as he has never been seen or experienced before. Fear and what he has created have horrified people for 19 years. And this year, he will be more real than ever. This year’s event features eight all-new haunted houses, new scarezones and two live shows.

Halloween Horror Nights XX Event Opening
Friday, September 24 from 6:00 – 6:30 PM EDT

Live Haunted House Stream
Friday, September 24 from 9:30 – 11:30 PM EDT

Go to www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com/orlando/news and click on the LIVE FEED button on the right side of the page

Yeah I've never heard of a preview with a super outstanding review. Think of it as an underwhelming movie trailer of sorts.

Felipe I saw all your merch pics. Thank you so much. Did you see the pin?

You're welcome! Nope, I didn't see HHN pins at that store. I'm not sure if they'll get em later, but they might be exclusive to the park. I'm also looking forward to seeing some HHN XX pins, not so much for myself now, but for my brother who collects theme park pins and has a bunch. I already got my HHN XX souvenir in the shot glass :) and great that I don't have to carry it around when I go to the event now :D

--- Update ---

Ok everyone I'm outta here, I'm not taking a laptop with me to Orlando so I will be socially disconnected......except for Twitter, I will update periodically and try to do some pics as well, so if you want to follow me I'm @MarcVyrus

Have a safe trip! I'm sick of being out of the loop with all this Twitter stuff... I might have to give in and get one :rolleyes: :p

You can watch a live stream of Horror Nights Opening Night.

That's pretty cool! I hope they have it on loop later! I might spot myself :p

LINK

jake im inpressed with your opinions but im curious to know how many hhn did you attend in your life? also are you a movie fan? if so im curious to know your top 10 horror flicks of all times

LINK

I read your review and I respect it but when you say you dont like something and say like " Something about it, I do not know " instead of giving a valid reason on why you didnt like it and not a "i dont like it cause I dont like it" kinda makes me take your review with a grain of salt...

All im saying is that, as a reader, if you are gonna not like something but then dont give a reason as to why you dont like it and what could make it better or what it lacked whats the point?

I wish the announcement went into a little more detail about what the haunted house live stream was. It goes on from 9:30 to 11:30... From the way that sounds, I guess we'll be seeing guests walk through a room in a house.

yea jake its great to have and opinion but please elaborate? was the houses under budget, was the effects wee?

LINK

Did you think Hallowed Past was the longest house of all time? Was it 2 stories? In the media video I saw a ramp so I was wondering what that was about.

Your review was AWESOME!

The report is intentionally vague, if it wasn't vague the other half would be complaining about how I ruined the event.
Did you think Hallowed Past was the longest house of all time? Was it 2 stories?
Far from the longest house of all time, and no it was not 2 stories.

I think a few people were wondering. I've been every year since 2006, and I've worked since 2009. The only year I haven't gone twice was 2009. Instead of going a 2nd time I went to Howl-O-Scream. I'm fairly well rounded and I plan on writing a far more detailed review at the end of the event but I obviously don't want to ruin the event for the throngs of people who aren't going to be able to make it until mid or end of the event.

Last edited: