Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear | Page 127 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Guy from horrornightnightmares says Hades, Psychoscarepy, Zombigeddon, and the Orfanage were all awesome and apparently a SA from Saws N Steam scared him well :]
Sounds like there isn't a a stinker house nor scarezone, which is VERY VERY VERY exciting.

I'm sure that's just the new HHN high that's making every house look amazing and perfect. Soon enough we'll be able to get spot the weaker houses.

Still very happy to read some reviews. Catacombs is moving up my anticipated list very quickly!

Maybe so, I'll try to be ubniased as possible when going on Friday ;]

--- Update ---

On the flipside, Inside the Magic wasn't a fan of Psychoscarepy and called it repetitive.

I read a tweet that the flame is definitely in the Orfanage and it smells like "Rome is burning but with orphans instead"

I read a post that gave Havoc a 3.5 out of 10 which was the first negative thing I read about a house to this point.

Zombiegeddon is definitely the "fun" house several tweets saying it was fun.
From ITM

Legendary Truth house is fantastically original. Great effects. Ideas I've never seen in a haunt before. Can't wait to do it again! [HASHTAG]#HHN[/HASHTAG] #fb

I predict many body collisions happening in Saws & Steam scare zone. Visibility of 0% due to fog ("steam") in parts.

Central Park looks the exact same as years past with the pumpkins and lights:

http://yfrog.com/ne936tj

Last edited:
I read a tweet that the flame is definitely in the Orfanage and it smells like "Rome is burning but with orphans instead"

I read a post that gave Havoc a 3.5 out of 10 which was the first negative thing I read about a house to this point.

--- Update ---

Zombiegeddon is definitely the "fun" house several tweets saying it was fun.

--- Update ---

From ITM

--- Update ---

Central Park looks the exact same as years past with the pumpkins and lights:

http://yfrog.com/ne936tj

Thank you Vyrus for the find! The Pumpkins in Central park are amazing. :thumbs:

Also you will get very wet in Saws and Steam more than one tweet about that too.

--- Update ---

If you want an early jump on the txt messages :lol:

I texted TRUTH to 64646 and it told me that strange things are happening over at the Wyandot Estate. Hmmm

--- Update ---

Spoiler!

http://twitgoo.com/1oxe6e bill and ted making fun of glee with a hand gesture :lol:

--- Update ---

No archway decorations, but cool lighting:

http://yfrog.com/6zquyj

Good picture of Fear in between the X's and he will pose for pictures :lol:

http://twitpic.com/2r0k0k

--- Update ---

Another Bill and Ted Spoler

The Bill & Ted show is most excellent this year. Great parodies of Twilight, Toy Story & Wizarding World.

--- Update ---

Ok that was my last update I didn't see a whole lot on here, so there you go guys :smiley:

Off to bed :wave:

Everything sounds fantastic - Legendary Truth's now at the top of my list. The Orfanage with the flame effect? Awesome - can't wait to see how they pull it off. FEAR looks good, hopefully he has the same omniscient presence as Mary & Usher via projections on buildings & audio of them speaking throughout the park.

What the hell is up with the merchandise, though? Two shirts (+ Bill & Ted), a shot glass, a sipper cup, and an image-less pin? That's it? No collectibles, extra shirt, DVDs, posters, anything? I thought we were supposed to get ADDITIONAL merchandise this year, not LESS... oh well... less money for me to spend, I guess... :/

What the hell is up with the merchandise, though? Two shirts (+ Bill & Ted), a shot glass, a sipper cup, and an image-less pin? That's it? No collectibles, extra shirt, DVDs, posters, anything? I thought we were supposed to get ADDITIONAL merchandise this year, not LESS... oh well... less money for me to spend, I guess... :/

All of there suppliers are working overtime just to keep potter's shelves stocked. Everything else wasn't a priority.:bang:

My quick ratings and review (no specific spoilers, but just in case, please highlight):

HALLOW'D PAST: 8/10 -- great variety of rooms and scare tricks, lots of great references to years past.
CATACOMBS: 8/10 -- the scares come from all over, but what's with those masks? Spy vs. Spy?
HAVOC: 6/10 -- pretty scary, lots of dudes looking pissed, not overly memorable.
ORFANAGE: 4/10 -- too dark and too random; the scariest elements were the old children's toys.
ZOMBIEGEDDON: 8/10 -- An assault on the senses with some rooms that don't feel as generic as others; great pre-show.
HADES: -- Did not do (ran out of time).
PSYCHOSCAREAPY: 7/10 -- Good fascade when you enter; lots of usual hospital/assylum tricks that still work.
LEGENDARY TRUTH: 10/10 -- Best house. Period.

---

SCAREZONES / SHOWS: I'm not a huge fan of the typical Scarezone, so I'm a little harsh. Yet some of the selections this year were very impressive...:

20 YEARS OF FEAR: 8/10 -- Great resurrection of previous characters, most of whom look like Lady Gaga. Excellent aesthetic and creepiness.
FEAR REVEALED: 5/10 -- Maybe I didn't get it. FEAR reminded me of the villain from Captain EO; the other characters were...well...they were there, too.
ZOMBIE GRAS: 3/10 -- Ha.
SAWS N' STEAM: 9/10 -- Now this is a Scare Zone. Can't see? Narrow alley? A plethora of chain saw ripping bikers? Will pee pants!
THE COVEN: 5/10 -- Witches are stupid.
ESQUELETO MUERTE: 6/10 -- Probably the most unique concept out there for a scare zone. Great effects, costumes, and theming -- take your Spanish class there for a field trip. But it won't scare them.

BILL AND TED: Sorry, didn't see it. It was either watch this show and do nothing, or...well, do pretty much everything else.

BRIAN BRUSHWOOD: Good entertainer, some fun stage magic, nothing worth jumping up and down like a schoolgirl over.

Overall, a good night to get scared! My recommendation: stalk the houses, all of them, and then repeat a couple. The houses I rated highly are ones that are chock full of detail and more blind corners and scare moments than I can remember. You'll get sh$t scared out of you that they missed on the first time through.

Ah... yeah, it is kind of early on. We'll probably have reviews from the employee preview tomorrow and most likely by this weekend there will be pics and reports of everything going on this year. I'll make sure to take many pics and write a detailed report myself after Friday :)

EDIT: haha! There you go! As I was writing this post we got a review! Ok, I'm getting out of this thread now before curiosity kills me :p Goodnight!

PS: Please guys keep posting spoilers in white text :) Thanks!

Last edited:
Keep in mind, the Preview Night doesn't show all the cards. It just gives a general idae about eveything. A lot of the big effects are held off until Friday.

My quick ratings and review (no specific spoilers, but just in case, please highlight):

HALLOW'D PAST: 8/10 -- great variety of rooms and scare tricks, lots of great references to years past.
CATACOMBS: 8/10 -- the scares come from all over, but what's with those masks? Spy vs. Spy?
HAVOC: 6/10 -- pretty scary, lots of dudes looking pissed, not overly memorable.
ORFANAGE: 4/10 -- too dark and too random; the scariest elements were the old children's toys.
ZOMBIEGEDDON: 8/10 -- An assault on the senses with some rooms that don't feel as generic as others; great pre-show.
HADES: -- Did not do (ran out of time).
PSYCHOSCAREAPY: 7/10 -- Good fascade when you enter; lots of usual hospital/assylum tricks that still work.
LEGENDARY TRUTH: 10/10 -- Best house. Period.

---

SCAREZONES / SHOWS: I'm not a huge fan of the typical Scarezone, so I'm a little harsh. Yet some of the selections this year were very impressive...:

20 YEARS OF FEAR: 8/10 -- Great resurrection of previous characters, most of whom look like Lady Gaga. Excellent aesthetic and creepiness.
FEAR REVEALED: 5/10 -- Maybe I didn't get it. FEAR reminded me of the villain from Captain EO; the other characters were...well...they were there, too.
ZOMBIE GRAS: 3/10 -- Ha.
SAWS N' STEAM: 9/10 -- Now this is a Scare Zone. Can't see? Narrow alley? A plethora of chain saw ripping bikers? Will pee pants!
THE COVEN: 5/10 -- Witches are stupid.
ESQUELETO MUERTE: 6/10 -- Probably the most unique concept out there for a scare zone. Great effects, costumes, and theming -- take your Spanish class there for a field trip. But it won't scare them.

BILL AND TED: Sorry, didn't see it. It was either watch this show and do nothing, or...well, do pretty much everything else.

BRIAN BRUSHWOOD: Good entertainer, some fun stage magic, nothing worth jumping up and down like a schoolgirl over.

Overall, a good night to get scared! My recommendation: stalk the houses, all of them, and then repeat a couple. The houses I rated highly are ones that are chock full of detail and more blind corners and scare moments than I can remember. You'll get sh$t scared out of you that they missed on the first time through.

In response to the masks, they are what plague doctors wore while out on their rounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor