Harry Potter Reboot Series | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter Reboot Series

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I absolutely see the appeal to this. The first movie came out when I was in first grade, right after reading Sorceror’s Stone as my first “grown up” book. I don’t remember a lot from being in first grade…but one thing that sticks out is me walking out of the theater with my dad and being absolutely pissed that there was no Peeves in the movie.

I think this is less for new fans and more about de-Hollywood-ifying the original series. A faithful adaptation with no runtime requirements, more advanced visual effects, and more room for advanced character arcs and darker content seen in the books could be really cool. While I get the skepticism seeing how Disney milked Star Wars dry and other networks completely giving up on creativity, HBO has a track record that shouldn’t be bet against IMO.

As a very casual Harry Potter fan, I’d watch this.

I absolutely see the appeal to this. The first movie came out when I was in first grade, right after reading Sorceror’s Stone as my first “grown up” book. I don’t remember a lot from being in first grade…but one thing that sticks out is me walking out of the theater with my dad and being absolutely pissed that there was no Peeves in the movie.

I think this is less for new fans and more about de-Hollywood-ifying the original series. A faithful adaptation with no runtime requirements, more advanced visual effects, and more room for advanced character arcs and darker content seen in the books could be really cool. While I get the skepticism seeing how Disney milked Star Wars dry and other networks completely giving up on creativity, HBO has a track record that shouldn’t be bet against IMO.

As a very casual Harry Potter fan, I’d watch this.
Willing to bet even though they have more money, time, and technology for VFX this will look more bland than the movies.

So... they're keeping the design and aesthetics of the world as established by the movies, and the John Williams themes... and essentially just recasting all the roles and blowing the books up to season-length?

That's an absolutely baffling and creatively questionable decision. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that a majority of fans want to see recast versions of the same characters in the same stories we've already experienced onscreen.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I dunno if all that is staying yet. It may just be they aren’t at the stage for logos, score, and castle design. Heyman hasn’t even signed as an EP yet. This is best connection to the IP the public has right now, might as well use it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
So this is basically just a stock booster in the form of an announcement.
Exactly. If you were gonna launch a rebrand of an awaited product (that has a ton of competition) wouldn’t you want to announce a Harry Potter tv show with it?

This isn’t a tacit endorsement of the concept or show btw. I fundamentally believe that WB chose poorly based on timing and climate. But we’ve known Potter (and to another extent Rowling’s image) was a priority for Zaz. This move makes sense for his goals.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I do want to see how well this show does

Its all speculation on if fans will just hate it but look at Disney remakes, they are worst recast films but they normally make more money in box office then the animated films

I also funny enough did want this show but just 20 years from now. The JK stuff is kinda whatever at this point, I dont like her but support her everytime I go into USH so to avoid this show because of her to me is silly unless you dont go to the parks.

I'll wait before judging it but it's doubtful this show will live up to the films, I think parts will be better because they can show more of the world and add scenes setting things up better but it's going to be hard to recast most these characters and do them better. Especially Snape, though this time maybe Dumbledore will ask Harry calmly if he put his name into the fire, lol

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things and bits of characterization found in the novels that I'd love to see translated to the screen with more fidelity (the extended sequences explaining Tom Riddle's "British DELIVERANCE" family lineage in HALF-BLOOD PRINCE, or the complete "Prince's Tale" flashbacks in DEATHLY HALLOWS, for example).

But I'd much rather either see the existing cast in an adult HP story (that isn't THE CURSED CHILD) or a totally new set of students at Hogwarts.

I’m curious about the “10 year commitment.” Is that, we’re gonna make 7 seasons within 10 years, or there will be 10 seasons. Imagine a series that goes past Hallows and checks in with Adult Harry for 3 seasons.

I don’t think that’s what’s gonna happen, but they:
1. Clearly have no problem expanding cannon.
2. Would easily differentiate the show from the movie.

I think it's so funny how quickly big studios are eating their own tails IP-wise. First Moana (live action) and now this it's like how many times can you really go back to those goldmines before the gold runs out? This is such a shallow and transparent attempt to maintain a firm grip on the pop culture appeal of the wizarding world after the absolute failure of Fantastic Beasts and the implosion of JK Rowling's public persona.

I think it's so funny how quickly big studios are eating their own tails IP-wise. First Moana (live action) and now this it's like how many times can you really go back to those goldmines before the gold runs out? This is such a shallow and transparent attempt to maintain a firm grip on the pop culture appeal of the wizarding world after the absolute failure of Fantastic Beasts and the implosion of JK Rowling's public persona.
I agree but don't we the viewers need to stop paying for this before it stops?

After Aladdin I was so done with the Disney remakes but many made bank, so it seems like GA want the same crap in a different package every few years

I agree but don't we the viewers need to stop paying for this before it stops?

After Aladdin I was so done with the Disney remakes but many made bank, so it seems like GA want the same crap in a different package every few years
Oh I completely agree, I think it's easier to market an already established property that appeals to a generation that now maybe has their own kids they can revisit this series with. Won't stop it from being creatively and morally bankrupt unfortunately.

All I'll say is: please be kind to the kid actors who are going to be taking on these roles. Especially whomever is playing Hermione if they're going for book accuracy.

1) Do Books 1 and 2 get lots of new scenes because they are the shortest books and the movies besides like a few scenes are 1 to 1 the books.

My guess is season 1 heavily features flashbacks to the Wizarding War, and if they have to cast Voldermort and his cronies anyway, add a subplot to season 2 about their behind-the-scenes scheming. Keeps him front-and-center as a villain, rather than an afterthought to Lockhart.

I realize having been exposed to Potter as an adult I'm more cynical about these things, but there's a fair number of similar plot inconsistencies this series could right. E.g. introduce house elves more organically, or plant the seeds of horcruxes existing before the obvious retcon in Book 5. If they get real creative, maybe even an episode per season retelling Dumbledore's history.

I'm sure spiderman and iron man and everything will get a reboot within this decade lol. It's basically inevitable. New ideas are officially over lol.
All I'll say is: please be kind to the kid actors who are going to be taking on these roles. Especially whomever is playing Hermione if they're going for book accuracy.

What does the book say?