Harry Potter Reboot Series | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter Reboot Series

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
its best to separate the art from the person. Otherwise nearly everything becomes unenjoyable because generally speaking humans are awful. While I understood where Rowling was coming from due to her clearly unresolved trauma, her doubling down and not actually educating herself while maintaining this thought process is almost unhealthy as Voldemort's obsession with certain things...(I guess that's why Voldemort is so well characterized since she can empathize with him)

I'm fine with the reboot because there were things in the books I was quite curious about that they didn't showcase in the movies so i think that would be fun.
This is actually pretty well said and going back to the show, i'm looking forward to the show for that same reason. There was actually quite a bit I would've liked to have seen either explored deeper or things showed that simply never got shown in the movies that would've been really cool.

Plus, this gives them a chance to do certain things a different way. The movies fans of those will always have those to watch if they want. This is really just Potter for a new generation and nothing much more. Think of it like a Disney live action remake. WBD knows adults will want to share this with their kids and it will be one of their biggest hits they've ever had on name alone. It's really an IP that three or even four generations who read the books can watch together and enjoy. Things like that don't come around often.

its best to separate the art from the person. Otherwise nearly everything becomes unenjoyable because generally speaking humans are awful. While I understood where Rowling was coming from due to her clearly unresolved trauma, her doubling down and not actually educating herself while maintaining this thought process is almost unhealthy as Voldemort's obsession with certain things...(I guess that's why Voldemort is so well characterized since she can empathize with him)

I'm fine with the reboot because there were things in the books I was quite curious about that they didn't showcase in the movies so i think that would be fun.

Sometimes it feels like eventually every single artist will have something bad in their past, (David Bowie, Seinfeld, Marilyn Manson, the Beatles, Metallica etc) so while the people that did bad things need to fix things or help the victims or something, it's gonna reach a point where every form of media will have controversy.
About potter, I almost wish and hope that this show is much better than the movies, I really hope that this show is better so that it can bring a new era to the franchise. Theres a small chance that it will be better, but I really hope they do it well. It will help move forward. It will bring new air into the franchise. The parks could even adapt parts or the show or something.

Just gonna say, you're sliding down one slippery slide if your reasoning for being fine with supporting someone as truly dreadful as J.K. Rowling is 'Well, I bet EVERYONE is full of hate and lacks empathy, y'know?'.

And I say that having no strong feeling whether you should or should not consume things she has a hand in. My ultimate feeling is that life is far too short to deprive yourself of something that might bring you joy so if someone wants something Potter related but doesn't like supporting Rowling, they shouldn't feel any guilt or shame in partaking. Just as no one should feel backlash for straight out protesting her and not wanting anyone else to partake either. The depth of evil she's spewed and damage she could potentially do to people who are already naturally targeted and attacked just because they're slightly different weighs much, much more heavily than a slightly above average book series about a kid wizard.

Separating art from artist is fine, as long as it's not an excuse to shovel over their wrong doings (not that anyone here is doing such) and never having to discuss their wrong doings.

Like @Nick mentioned, Potter is a thing that will live on for generations. Parents will pass it to their kids, then those kids will grow up and pass it to their kids, etc. It's going to be timeless, like Star Wars.

Rowling is nearly 60 years old - Potter will FAR outlive her. She has made a ton of money from the property, and will continue to do so until she passes. As has been mentioned, she's likely just getting paid an up-front licensing/producer fee - and that's that. Not supporting the shows/games is anyone's right, but the only people truly being hurt by that are the cast/crew/developers/etc.

My wife is a massive Potter fan. Her best friend is also a transgender woman. Her best friend has said "if I had a new console, I'd definitely be playing the game."

It is possible to separate the art from the artist. Not everyone wants to do that, and that's completely fine - but those that can should not be bullied/ridiculed, just like those that can't shouldn't be either.

If you don’t want to watch, don’t watch, but also find ways to help beyond this. If you’re into it, that’s fine, but understand where everyone else is coming from. Real stuff is happening daily.

I’m interested in the proportions of these numbers moving forward, but they won’t solve any problems. They gave the series a 10 year order regardless.

I’m guessing that was done for two main reasons:
1. To appease JK Rowling after Beasts.
2. To project that regardless of boycotts, they are committed. (I am resolute in the belief that they want adult fans to tune in, but this is primarily for the next generation.)

All that being said, things can change. This is a business. Zaz is one man and HBO has had several parent companies in recent times. Who knows what the world will be like in 10 years? I didn’t think this would be it in 2013 when I started on this forum. I had a Potter quote as my signature here for near a decade. That is now gone.

I actually do think there's a little difference between Ezra and The Flash and what we're talking about in this case. With The Flash, Ezra is front and center and supposedly in almost every scene of the movie. With Potter, JK is not someone you actively see. Yes, she still cashes in from the game and anything Potter related, but she got a bunch of money up front for the game and is only going to make more simply because it's a really good game.

I understand people who want to boycott the game or this new show on principal, but she was also as far removed from this game as possible. Buying the game used is a good tactic since it's an already purchased copy meaning you aren't giving JK any more money than she's already made off of the game. The issue with the show again is that, unlike the game where she was far removed, they've come out and said she's going to be closely involved. That's where I think the issue for me is and where they could've fixed the issue a lot of people are going to have with it but I digress.
Also ans like myself who think the Flash movie will be great but wont support it in theaters aren't telling your that your a bad person for seeing the film

I don't want Ezra to get more movies until he gets help but its not my want to make it unfun for those who want to enjoy the Flash film.

As you said JK has a pile of money and everyone here in someway has or will support her in the future its almost impossible unless your not a fan of Potter but everyone here has eaten or had a butter beer once so to me its just weird to try judge others while you also support her just not as loudly

Also ans like myself who think the Flash movie will be great but wont support it in theaters aren't telling your that your a bad person for seeing the film

I don't want Ezra to get more movies until he gets help but its not my want to make it unfun for those who want to enjoy the Flash film.

As you said JK has a pile of money and everyone here in someway has or will support her in the future its almost impossible unless your not a fan of Potter but everyone here has eaten or had a butter beer once so to me its just weird to try judge others while you also support her just not as loudly
I have no desire to see The Flash due to Ezra's literal on tape situation that nobody wants to do anything about, however I also wouldn't be watching The Flash anyway so that's not really a boycott is it? So I want to stress where my position is here. If you don't support something and feel the need to boycott, it's 100% your right.

However, what i've sort of sloppily been saying is that I also don't believe that people who want to enjoy certain things that are being boycotted should see hate themselves. Why continue a circle of hate? Everyone has their own perspective on how they either view the world or what their position on a boycott is. Everyone has their line.

Being upfront, my personal position is that while I don't agree at all with JK and think her views are awful, a boycott is not going to help solve anything. To me, I can play a Potter game or watch a new show and then donate to Trans charities after and I see that as making a bigger difference. I just don't see life as long enough to deprive myself of something that looks fun if I can also help out Trans communities in other ways that help to make a real meaningful impact. I see an attempted boycott in the same way I retrospectively see the black avatars everyone turned to after George Floyd. Sure, you're standing in solidarity, but is anything actually being done?

I hope this didn't come across as insensitive in any way. I was just trying to share what my viewpoint for my line of thinking is. This is not a simple subject matter and requires a bit of nuance.

Just gonna say, you're sliding down one slippery slide if your reasoning for being fine with supporting someone as truly dreadful as J.K. Rowling is 'Well, I bet EVERYONE is full of hate and lacks empathy, y'know?'.

And I say that having no strong feeling whether you should or should not consume things she has a hand in. My ultimate feeling is that life is far too short to deprive yourself of something that might bring you joy so if someone wants something Potter related but doesn't like supporting Rowling, they shouldn't feel any guilt or shame in partaking. Just as no one should feel backlash for straight out protesting her and not wanting anyone else to partake either. The depth of evil she's spewed and damage she could potentially do to people who are already naturally targeted and attacked just because they're slightly different weighs much, much more heavily than a slightly above average book series about a kid wizard.

Separating art from artist is fine, as long as it's not an excuse to shovel over their wrong doings (not that anyone here is doing such) and never having to discuss their wrong doings.

What I was trying to say before. I'll put it another way, using companies instead,
Disney has had some problems with problematic stuff in the past, there have been different controversies and stuff. Every Disney movie made before 2000 has had problematic or offensive stuff in it one way or another. Companies like Apple have had some problematic stuff before. Problematic about their factories or stuff. ( Amazon recently)
There's been some human rights problems with different companies,
Some companies have had worst things than others, but at the same time, millions of people also work for them that didn't do anything. So for example a lot of people boycott and avoid Amazon, but Amazon is thousands of people, not just one, so it makes me wonder, a lot of people depend on it. People in our personal lives ( someone in my life drives for Amazon)
Potter itself is almost like its own company by now, as a franchise. It's not just a book written by one person. It's a thousand people company basically.

I wonder if what J.K Rowling needs to do is go the George Lucas way and sell it to universal. Sell it for high. Move away from it. I don't know.

God

Once JK signs the rights away, so many pointless spin off books and tv shows.

I’d also lol

If people who hate JK support the company that pays her billions for the rights. In my mind at least that still is supporting her, just with a middle man