Harry Potter Reboot Series | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter Reboot Series

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I won't be watching if JKR is attached or owns the property.
I get this from a moral standpoint, but if we are boycotting everything she's associated with, then it becomes a slippery slope. She gets a cut of every ticket sold to the Universal Parks. Potter has a land in almost every Universal park, and any Potter merchandise you buy she gets a cut of.

I'm sure people will try to create a boycott for this just like they tried to for Hogwarts Legacy. All that will do is create more buzz around the project and in turn more people will watch, just like how Hogwarts Legacy became one of the fastest selling video games of all time. I bought it because people wouldn't shut up about out and because they wouldn't shut up, I kept seeing videos showing how cool it looked and I decided to spend the money. Don't regret it.

Let me make it clear: I despise JKR. But by boycotting something like Hogwarts Legacy or this new show, the only thing that is really being set out to accomplish by doing that (if the boycott is successful) is hurting the game devs who spent countless hours pouring their hearts into a game like Hogwarts Legacy or with the new show, the only thing being accomplished if a boycott is successful is hurting young, up and coming actors, who are looking for their big break along with hurting the entire crew who wrote and directed the series.

JKR has more money than she knows what to do with. Boycotts won't hurt her. They do have the possibility of hurting those who gave these projects their all and need the exposure.

I get this from your a moral standpoint, but if we are boycotting everything she's associated with, then it becomes a slippery slope. She gets a cut of every ticket sold to the Universal Parks. Potter has a land in almost every Universal park, and any Potter merchandise you buy she gets a cut of.
Not to "um, actually" this but JK Rowling does not get a cut of ticket sales. She gets a flat fee on top of royalties paid for food and merchandise sold in the lands. I know of many people who will go to Universal and just not buy anything in those lands for that reason

Not to "um, actually" this but JK Rowling does not get a cut of ticket sales. She gets a flat fee on top of royalties paid for food and merchandise sold in the lands. I know of many people who will go to Universal and just not buy anything in those lands for that reason
I could've sworn it had been said at one point that at every park that there's a Potter land she gets a % of the ticket sales but i'll take the L and move on on that point. I must have been mistaken.

My overall point is a boycott doesn't hurt her. Sure buy less F&B/merch in the parks if you want. I only ever get Butterbeer Ice cream there maybe once or twice a year and that's all I ever spend. But when it comes to video games or the TV Show, she's not being hurt by any boycott. While I think it's absolutely tone deaf for he to be closely associated with this show, she's getting most of her money for this show pretty much up front i'd bet.

If it fails it fails but she still just grabbed probably tens of millions. That's why i'm trying to make the focus of my point here onto the game developers behind the game who put their blood, sweat, and tears into and the Cast & Crew for the show who is going to have to deal with a bunch of unfair hatred simply for being in this show when they're simply looking for a big break.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I agree that fiscal boycotts like that usually don't work, but I don't begrudge anyone who decides not to engage with Harry Potter because they don't feel comfortable doing so. we all have our line, if engaging with a new show or video game is beyond yours, fair enough. there's no such thing as ethical capitalism, but it doesn't mean you can't draw your own line in the sand.

I agree that fiscal boycotts like that usually don't work, but I don't begrudge anyone who decides not to engage with Harry Potter because they don't feel comfortable doing so. we all have our line, if engaging with a new show or video game is beyond yours, fair enough. there's no such thing as ethical capitalism, but it doesn't mean you can't draw your own line in the sand.

This is my line in the sand. I stopped supporting the FB films and won't support this. The employees will get paid and get credits if I watch or don't watch, so I wont' watch. Not like I don't own all the FILMS already.

This is my line in the sand. I stopped supporting the FB films and won't support this. The employees will get paid and get credits if I watch or don't watch, so I wont' watch. Not like I don't own all the FILMS already.
Like I side at the opening of my original post, I get it too. I think I was trying to make a point that wasn’t conveyed well. Like I said, I think JK being so closely tied to this new series is very tone deaf on the part of WBD and while I know she probably has a good contract where she’s guaranteed a good exec role in any film or show, it’s just unfortunate.

Less people would be against this from the start if she simply wasn’t attached.

Like I side at the opening of my original post, I get it too. I think I was trying to make a point that wasn’t conveyed well. Like I said, I think JK being so closely tied to this new series is very tone deaf on the part of WBD and while I know she probably has a good contract where she’s guaranteed a good exec role in any film or show, it’s just unfortunate.

Less people would be against this from the start if she simply wasn’t attached.

I do understand boycotts, ( I understand how it works and why it's done. I understand what people are trying to do)
But 8 never understood picking and choosing what to boycott. I'm not talking about anyone in here. And not just boycotts of potter but just in general.
But I never understood why some stuff gets boycott and others doesn't. Like if I was going to boycott marvel movies let's say, but then I still have Disney Plus on tv or let's say an annual pass to magic kingdom.
Being in Orlando and going to the parks, having potter merchandise or being around potter seems impossible. Not only is it one of the biggest franchises of all time, but it is a franchise with as much merchandise as star wars. Toys, funkos, towels, shirts etc.
This show might fail on its own for not being good. But the question that I always wonder, what about the older games or the merch at uni or everything. My cousins wear potter shirts all the time, always makes me wonder if they should throw them away. But half their house is potter stuff. Like 100 funkos. Drinking cups. Everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: snayberry
If you want to boycott fine

I just dislike when people act like they are better for you when we all support the worst kinds businesses

We drive cars that are killing the planet, food that isn’t good for our bodies or society health and wear shoes/have a phone made by horrible labor practices

So if you protest, I understand but just don’t threaten others like those on twitch did for the new potter game or act like your being Nobel because we all support worst people daily

that's called being a human in a complicated, interconnected society.

View attachment 18736
Jerrod is making a solid point about the bullying that went on when Legacy was released though. Bullying to the extent of making streamers cry on stream or altogether stopping a large group of streamers from playing when their main intention as far as streaming the game went was to raise money for Trans charities while playing.

Most decided it wasn’t worth the crap and thus most fundraisers didn’t even happen. And even if they did people would’ve accused them of stealing millions like they had just done to the Hassan Piker after a huge fundraiser he did after the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. The internet needs to learn to take a chill pill every now and then.

Jerrod is making a solid point about the bullying that went on when Legacy was released though. Bullying to the extent of making streamers cry on stream or altogether stopping a large group of streamers from playing when their main intention as far as streaming the game went was to raise money for Trans charities while playing.

Most decided it wasn’t worth the crap and thus most fundraisers didn’t even happen. And even if they did people would’ve accused them of stealing millions like they had just done to the Hassan Piker after a huge fundraiser he did after the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. The internet needs to learn to take a chill pill every now and then.
yes, making streamers cry is bad. streamers are, to make the understatement of the century, not a vulnerable population in the same way trans people are. so I think you can understand why it's frustrating to see someone make a completely obvious point (bullying is bad!) without mentioning why the bullying is happening (trans people are being murdered!)

which is why I ignored his point completely and instead commented on a different point: moral progress is not linear. people are trying to figure stuff out in their own way on their own time. and complaining that those trying to improve society somewhat are in it to make you feel bad about yourself is kinda missing the point.

yes, making streamers cry is bad. streamers are, to make the understatement of the century, not a vulnerable population in the same way trans people are. so I think you can understand why it's frustrating to see someone make a completely obvious point (bullying is bad!) without mentioning why the bullying is happening (trans people are being murdered!)

which is why I ignored his point completely and instead commented on a different point: moral progress is not linear. people are trying to figure stuff out in their own way on their own time. and complaining that those trying to improve society somewhat are in it to make you feel bad about yourself is kinda missing the point.
Well I’ll fully admit I did not fully understand your point or what you meant at first. Now that you expanded on it, yes, I obviously agree one thing is obviously a more pressing issue by a country mile.

However, the one point I was trying to make was that these streamers were all high profile people on their side that did want to help out with trans issues by doing fundraisers and even that notion was rejected. I get being upset especially when it feels like so many are against you, which is why I feel it would be more prudent to make alliances with those who are on your side, but I guess it’s not really my place to say what should or shouldn’t be done since I’m not targeted for simply being who I am.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
My problem isn't with disliking what she has said in the past few years, my problem is with going back and trying to cherry pick things in the books as evidence to cancel them. Two-hour long videos on why the original books themselves are Mein Kampf...

Last edited:
My problem isn't with disliking what has been said in the past few years, my problem is with going back and trying to cherry pick things in the books as evidence to cancel them. Two-hour long videos on why the original books themselves are Mein Kampf...
The books have very warm and welcoming themes

Which is why to me its so weird JK is against people while in her books. That's what the bad guys do

Dumbledore "abuses" his power by protecting those who have no protection and are different. It's like she never read her own books and why I feel most people do love the HP story.

There's no way to "unattach" JK Rowling from the property short of possibly her sudden unexpected death. She sees the continued massive support for her IP as personal validation. She explicitly said as much in a tweet:

No but they could say something to the effect of “While JK Rowling is contractually required to be attached to the project, she will be a silent partner, serving as an executive producer in name only”.

Something to that affect would technically keep her attached to the project but would keep her away from having any creative input.

If you want to boycott fine

I just dislike when people act like they are better for you when we all support the worst kinds businesses

We drive cars that are killing the planet, food that isn’t good for our bodies or society health and wear shoes/have a phone made by horrible labor practices

So if you protest, I understand but just don’t threaten others like those on twitch did for the new potter game or act like your being Nobel because we all support worst people daily

I’m not either way bashing people

If you want to protest cool, of you don’t cool.

I just dislike people trying to act like there way is the only way, look at how many streamers were harassed for playing a video game
It makes me think of The Flash. I wanna see Keaton batman. I wanna see supergirl. Thousands of people worked on it. It's tricky. What if the movie is so amazing that I wanna buy it. The actions of one person ruining the work of thousands. Years of work. What if another park wants to do a ride on the movie or something.

Technically, there were people on Twitter that said that playing the potter legacy game for free was ok, I don't really play games, but some people boycotting the game were asking everyone to buy it used it something.
Same thing can be said for this show, get a free trial or watch it at someone's else's house.
So okay, you can watch and play without buying new, or borrowed or something.

But still, what about the parks? What about the merch, if Halloween Horror nights did a scarezone of potter for HHN, would people have to not go that year? My question is, what's bigger in revenue for J.K. the legacy game or the universal parks? Is boycotting the game mostly hurting the game developers?

It makes me think of The Flash. I wanna see Keaton batman. I wanna see supergirl. Thousands of people worked on it. It's tricky. What if the movie is so amazing that I wanna buy it. The actions of one person ruining the work of thousands. Years of work. What if another park wants to do a ride on the movie or something.
I actually do think there's a little difference between Ezra and The Flash and what we're talking about in this case. With The Flash, Ezra is front and center and supposedly in almost every scene of the movie. With Potter, JK is not someone you actively see. Yes, she still cashes in from the game and anything Potter related, but she got a bunch of money up front for the game and is only going to make more simply because it's a really good game.

I understand people who want to boycott the game or this new show on principal, but she was also as far removed from this game as possible. Buying the game used is a good tactic since it's an already purchased copy meaning you aren't giving JK any more money than she's already made off of the game. The issue with the show again is that, unlike the game where she was far removed, they've come out and said she's going to be closely involved. That's where I think the issue for me is and where they could've fixed the issue a lot of people are going to have with it but I digress.

its best to separate the art from the person. Otherwise nearly everything becomes unenjoyable because generally speaking humans are awful. While I understood where Rowling was coming from due to her clearly unresolved trauma, her doubling down and not actually educating herself while maintaining this thought process is almost unhealthy as Voldemort's obsession with certain things...(I guess that's why Voldemort is so well characterized since she can empathize with him)

I'm fine with the reboot because there were things in the books I was quite curious about that they didn't showcase in the movies so i think that would be fun.