Haunted Mansion (2023) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Haunted Mansion (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Otherwise known as the "Soap Opera effect". Outer Banks is wild with it on Netflix.
No, the soap opera effect is either referring to a set of aesthetic decisions that make something seem like a soap opera or, more commonly these days, motion interpolation.

No, the soap opera effect is either referring to a set of aesthetic decisions that make something seem like a soap opera or, more commonly these days, motion interpolation.
Yeah, HM technically looks fine. What I was referring too more is those netflix shows which I think have a more soap opera vibe to them, such as Outer Banks and many other teen shows Netflix puts out.

Looks fine..
Looks like it's fine enough for me to watch on Disney+ when it gets there. This movie will almost definitely do worse than Jungle Cruise imo. I just don't see who this is for. I think if you are gonna do a HM movie, there does need to be humor as that's the basis of the attraction, but it doesn't need to be in your face humor. It should be more subtle and allow for more ominous tones as well.

Basically what i'm saying is, kids can't relate to this adult cast and it looks a tad too scary for young ones. Just make it a movie squarely aimed at kids and their parents with say Tom Holland and Jenna Ortega in the leading roles, hire someone who actually knows how to write a horror comedy and maybe you've got something. Also, don't hire Jared Leto.

I just think it looks like a very cheap production (regardless of whatever its budget might actually be).

The Eddie Murphy version is quite bad, but in terms of cinematography and production design, it at least looked like a real movie. This looks like TV to me.

I don't see characters I see Owen Wilson in a priest costume.
Yeah...like "Scary Movie"/parody vibes

He was on the screen for 10 seconds :lol:

Looks like an adult-oriented movie that will be rated PG so fans can make a babysitter-less family movie night out of it. I understand the concerns about tone but it’s extremely hard to capture the tone of a 5-minute physical ride experience into a full length narrative.

That’s not to say it looks like it’ll be any good, but you guys are being icy af

He was on the screen for 10 seconds :lol:

Looks like an adult-oriented movie that will be rated PG so fans can make a babysitter-less family movie night out of it. I understand the concerns about tone but it’s extremely hard to capture the tone of a 5-minute physical ride experience into a full length narrative.

That’s not to say it looks like it’ll be any good, but you guys are being icy af
It wasn't a good trailer :shrug:

It will be on Disney Plus by Halloween...mark my words

I have A list so this looks fine to me but understand not wanting to pay full price for it
That's why they moved it up to July 28th. Allow familes more time to see it in the summer and then even if it runs 75 days in theaters (which I doubt it will, only movies as big as Top Gun 2 and Avatar 2 stick around that long), it still hits D+ in October.

With what's being shown in the trailer so far, I'm not feeling it. On one side you've got comedy which feels like parody, and on the other you've got serious n' scary ghosts. Neither of which fit the mold of the Haunted Mansion, which is a little Spooky and Macabre, a little bit Silly and a touch of Off-Kilter Weird. I don't think this is an impossible tone to create, but I'm just not seeing it right now.

With what's being shown in the trailer so far, I'm not feeling it. On one side you've got comedy which feels like parody, and on the other you've got serious n' scary ghosts. Neither of which fit the mold of the Haunted Mansion, which is a little Spooky and Macabre, a little bit Silly and a touch of Off-Kilter Weird. I don't think this is an impossible tone to create, but I'm just not seeing it right now.
It is probably the toughest original Disney ride to translate to film since you have to get the tone just right or else it feels too scary or too much like a comedy or parody. It's too bad we never got that Guillermo Del Toro HM movie made.

I can't tell if its something I want to watch or not because there was not enough content...just a few jokes and an extended hallway montage. I know they thought the stretching room scene would be enough but it wasn't. Intrigued but not enough

I can't tell if its something I want to watch or not because there was not enough content...just a few jokes and an extended hallway montage. I know they thought the stretching room scene would be enough but it wasn't. Intrigued but not enough
I watched the trailer a second time and liked it a bit more. It's definitely a Disney+ watch though.

So do people like trailers that spoiler half the film and tell all the good jokes?

Like for me I'm all about tone, like the mario movie trailer told me what it would be same with GOTG....why do I need more?

More asking if people wanted them to show the ballroom and graveyard now or when your watching the film? For me the tone seems fine and I like the cast, so for me I'll see it but I'm someone who is less is more at this point, like would a longer trailer really made you like it more or is the film not for you, is kinda what im getting at

Reactions: n i c k
So do people like trailers that spoiler half the film and tell all the good jokes?
I don't like trailers that tell me the plot of the movie from beginning to end, but for a first trailer, you need to at least try to get people hyped for the movie and this looks like a movie I can have a decent enough time with on my couch. That's it. If they were trying to sell me to go to the theater they failed miserably.

I don't like trailers that tell me the plot of the movie from beginning to end, but for a first trailer, you need to at least try to get people hyped for the movie and this looks like a movie I can have a decent enough time with on my couch. That's it. If they were trying to sell me to go to the theater they failed miserably.
But you said you'd watch it on Disney plus...so while yes they'd want you to pay to see it...you are still planning on watching it?

Just pointing out reviews will I think make or break the film....Pirates to me look like hot trash back in 2003 but god when I saw the film I loved it.

But you said you'd watch it on Disney plus...so while yes they'd want you to pay to see it...you are still planning on watching it?

Just pointing out reviews will I think make or break the film....Pirates to me look like hot trash back in 2003 but god when I saw the film I loved it.
I say i'm going to watch a lot of stuff that I end up just missing out because there's too much content though. I still never watched the Muppet Haunted Mansion Special. Never watched Pinocchio or Disenchanted due to poor reviews and word of mouth (although was still planning to check them out). I have an intention to watch it, but doesn't mean I will. I've been more into gaming lately and this is a big year for gaming tbh.

Also, Disney doesn't really care if I check it out on D+ if I didn't see it in theaters. They make no money from me seeing it on D+ versus the cut the would take from a theatrical ticket.