Haunted Mansion (2023) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Haunted Mansion (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Maybe the lady who dressed as the Babadook for Halloween and wrote for Brooklyn 99 can offer that balance! Honestly, seeing that tweet and how it's composed makes me more positive on a HM movie than one from GDT.

I'm glad she's clearly a horror fan!

She's yet to write a movie I enjoyed. And, in total fairness, she's only going to be able to go as far, spooky-wise, as Disney lets her. If her mandate was "be funny and goofy and silly," then that's what she's going to do (even if, as a horror fan, she might rather push it edgier).

I predict that this will be a hilarious buddy flick starring The Rock and Keenan Thompson. With a killer dance pop version of Grim Grinning Ghosts by BTS.

Maybe the lady who dressed as the Babadook for Halloween and wrote for Brooklyn 99 can offer that balance! Honestly, seeing that tweet and how it's composed makes me more positive on a HM movie than one from GDT.
I also maintain that, taken on its own merits and shushing the fanboys, GB 2016 was underrated - the issues were not with the script. This was a good choice.

Reactions: UNIrd
I predict that this will be a hilarious buddy flick starring The Rock and Keenan Thompson. With a killer dance pop version of Grim Grinning Ghosts by BTS.
The Rock is likely considered as a lead in almost every big budget Hollywood movie, so you have a very high % chance of being right there.

I'm glad she's clearly a horror fan!

She's yet to write a movie I enjoyed. And, in total fairness, she's only going to be able to go as far, spooky-wise, as Disney lets her. If her mandate was "be funny and goofy and silly," then that's what she's going to do (even if, as a horror fan, she might rather push it edgier).

Agreed 100%.

I also maintain that, taken on its own merits and shushing the fanboys, GB 2016 was underrated - the issues were not with the script. This was a good choice.

There was a lot wrong with GB2016, and I'd argue the script is one of them. BUT it's hard to tell if the script's faults were on Dippold's or Feig's hands. I stand firm in saying that any script that includes "The Power of..." played-out joke in this century deserves scrutiny.

Reactions: Clive and belloq87
While thinking about the topic, it's probably worth bringing up the rest of the cast and crew. Looking through the thread, there hadn't been a director chosen last time this thread was really active.

Justin Simien is directing ("Dear White People", "Bad Hair") and aside from Leto, the cast for this movie is Rosario Dawson, Tifffany Haddish, LaKeith Stanfield, Owen Wilson, Danny Devito, Chase Dillon, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Synopsis:
The Haunted Mansion follows a doctor (Dawson) and her 9-year-old son (Dillon), who are looking to start a new life, move into a strangely affordable mansion in New Orleans, only to discover that the place is much more than they bargained for. Desperate for help, they contact a priest (Wilson), who, in turn, enlists the aid of a widowed scientist-turned failed-paranormal expert (Stanfield), a French Quarter psychic (Haddish), and a crotchety historian (DeVito).

There was a test screening on the Disney lot a couple nights ago. Reactions seemed mixed to warm.

Mixed to warm is a little less than I hoped for given the creative pedigree (probably less than Disney hoped for too). Looking like it'll get trampled between Dungeons and Dragons and Aquaman 2.

Mixed to warm is a little less than I hoped for given the creative pedigree (probably less than Disney hoped for too). Looking like it'll get trampled between Dungeons and Dragons and Aquaman 2.
All of March is stuffed between D&D, HM, Aquaman 2, John Wick 4, and Scream 6. If I was Disney i'd maybe move the movie to mid-April where there's pretty much no competition, but I also don't know how much wide appeal a D&D movie has. I see that as being a pretty front-loaded movie that drops off steeply in week 2.

Haunted Mansion can do fine in its current spot, but the movie has to be good. I'm hoping that maybe if they feel the movie is lacking from the test screening that they go back for some reshoots between now and March and try to polish the movie. I'm really gonna be interested to see reviews/reactions on this when the time comes because this seems like a movie that could either crash and burn or it could be a pleasant enough popcorn film.

All of March is stuffed between D&D, HM, Aquaman 2, John Wick 4, and Scream 6. If I was Disney i'd maybe move the movie to mid-April where there's pretty much no competition, but I also don't know how much wide appeal a D&D movie has. I see that as being a pretty front-loaded movie that drops off steeply in week 2.

Haunted Mansion can do fine in its current spot, but the movie has to be good. I'm hoping that maybe if they feel the movie is lacking from the test screening that they go back for some reshoots between now and March and try to polish the movie. I'm really gonna be interested to see reviews/reactions on this when the time comes because this seems like a movie that could either crash and burn or it could be a pleasant enough popcorn film.

I can only speak to what I see in the trailer, but D&D looks extremely fun and Paramount seems to have a high degree of confidence in it. Either way, the current frame is way too crowded for it. April is a little more open but I would be worried about opening a kids movie anywhere near Illumination's Super Mario Bros.

I think moving Haunted Mansion to Ant Man's spot in February and pushing that movie up to early February would be smart. Either that or moving it to September. Haunted Mansion right now seems like it would need a truly empty frame to thrive.

Why Hollywood keeps casting this man i'll never understand. He's supposed to be in Tron 3 too if that ever happens (which he insists it still is).

yeah
I saw this and most comments weren't positive

Of course one of my favorite ghosts...will be played by him..lol

I can only speak to what I see in the trailer, but D&D looks extremely fun and Paramount seems to have a high degree of confidence in it. Either way, the current frame is way too crowded for it. April is a little more open but I would be worried about opening a kids movie anywhere near Illumination's Super Mario Bros.

I think moving Haunted Mansion to Ant Man's spot in February and pushing that movie up to early February would be smart. Either that or moving it to September. Haunted Mansion right now seems like it would need a truly empty frame to thrive.
I'd put it two weeks after Mario, which should give Mario plenty of time to gobble up money in an empty market, and then HM would have two weeks of its own before GotG3 comes out.

Supposedly this got a huge response at D23 with many in the crowd saying this reminded them a lot of Ghostbusters from the footage shown.

That said, this got pushed back until August 11th from its original crowded March release date.