HBO's Game of Thrones | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HBO's Game of Thrones

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't like that they reduced Ygritte to yet another sexy woman they can show seducing some guy. Come ON. She was great in the books. Not really pretty, at least not by Hollywood's standards, and very fierce. She doesn't automatically try to get in Jon's pants 5 minutes after they meet.

I agree she was great in the books but she pretty much did try to get into his pants the moment they met up again, only it wasn't in the scene the show had because that scene never existed in the books (at least not that I recall). If HBO had her strip in the snow (no pun intended) and hop to it, I'd be upset, but she A) does like Jon, and B) is using her wit to try and escape. I thought she was really cool and that the actress was unconventionally attractive (though I still pictures Merida).

I don't like that they reduced Ygritte to yet another sexy woman they can show seducing some guy. Come ON. She was great in the books. Not really pretty, at least not by Hollywood's standards, and very fierce. She doesn't automatically try to get in Jon's pants 5 minutes after they meet.

Did we read the same books? Because she basically did. Things are cut out and time is compressed in the show. I think her character is perfect.

So this whole "lack of Merra and Jojen Reed" thing is getting to me...

They're worthless characters in the grand scheme of things. Wouldn't bother me if they never show up. Osha is a more interesting character anyway.

She doesn't attempt to seduce him until after he joins the wildlings in the book, to my knowledge.

The constant sexual banter between the two is kinda boring. Ygritte was more than just some hot redhead trying to get in Jon's pants. I don't feel like they've captured that yet.

Every scene they've had so far is basically just her going, "Hey Jon don't you wanna DO me?"

Last edited:
She doesn't attempt to seduce him until after he joins the wildlings in the book, to my knowledge.

The constant sexual banter between the two is kinda boring. Ygritte was more than just some hot redhead trying to get in Jon's pants. I don't feel like they've captured that yet.

Every scene they've had so far is basically just her going, "Hey Jon don't you wanna DO me?"

Because she's messing with him. It's great, and completely in line with the character. She does it to keep him off guard, and then to escape. I'm sorry, but that is her character. Love it.

I didn't view them as worthless. Meera seems to be developing into a love interests and Jojen using green dreams to lead the crew makes more sense than Bran both
warging AND being psychic. Giving him two different abilities like that just doesn't feel right.
That and Meera and Jojen were some of my favorite characters (doesn't help that they have Gators on their sigil).

I didn't view them as worthless. Meera seems to be developing into a love interests and Jojen using green dreams to lead the crew makes more sense than Bran both
warging AND being psychic. Giving him two different abilities like that just doesn't feel right.
That and Meera and Jojen were some of my favorite characters (doesn't help that they have Gators on their sigil).

Trust me, it makes sense.

Because she's messing with him. It's great, and completely in line with the character. She does it to keep him off guard, and then to escape. I'm sorry, but that is her character. Love it.

Sorry, but not all fans believe she's being portrayed well. There are plenty of ticked off people on FB, LJ, and other forums. It's a matter of opinion, not fact. Ygritte is never really shown as this wily seductress. Nor is she described as conventionally beautiful. In the book, she's described as a girl with "a round peasant face, a pug nose, and slightly crooked teeth, and her eyes were too far apart..." Earlier in the book she's said to be "bandy-legged." But of course I suppose it would be unrealistic/gross to show a somewhat homely girl sleeping with an attractive man on TV. :rolleyes:

Ygritte is clearly in love with Jon AFTER he joins the crows, but beforehand? There is no seduction attempt, no romantic talk whatsoever, although she does speak up to urge her peers to spare him and allow him to join the wildlings because he also spared her. During the brief period where she's his captive, she tells him the story of Bael the Bard. After telling Mance they've been sleeping together to help lessen suspicion against Jon, the smile she gives him after proposing they have sex to make this claim real is described as "almost shy." I can't see TV Ygritte acting almost shy whatsoever. I suppose with these changes they're making, with Jon leading her around on a rope for some stupid reason, they needed to make some changes, but I'm not happy with how they're portraying her on the show. Ygritte is indeed a very strong, stubborn woman, but she was never this sly seductress unable to shut up about what's in Jon's pants, not even when she was afraid for her life. She never stooped that low... :shrug:

Of course, Cersei would never have a heart to heart chat with Tyrion and admit that Joffrey is a product of incest, and possibly punishment for her "sins," and Dany would die before she allowed her dragons to be stolen, but whatever... Not to mention the wasteful whore scenes. We get that Joffrey is a pig. We get that Baelish is a jerk. Can we spend the precious screen time on something other than characters being mean to prostitutes, please? This season has been somewhat disappointing to me thus far.

Last edited:
I didn't see Ygritte's actions as seducing for he sake of seduction. Her actions were only part of her contingency escape plans. All of her talk was to take Jon's mind off of his surroundings so her wildling brethren could get the drop on him. As far as her looks go, I pictures her more like Merida, but it's easy to recreate fictional characters with art. As far as casting real people goes, it's a tall order, and I really like their casting. She's pretty in part because of her spunk than sheer physicality, at least for me.

Also, there were several opportunities in the books where Dani could have had her dragons stolen. She left them on the boat a few times, visited the slave states without them, and only went into House of the Undead with Drogon, leaving the other two behind. I'm not sure how I felt about Cercei and Tyrion's exchange, but I'm interested to see how they develope now. Personally, I LOVE Arya and Tywin's scenes together, despite them not being written.

Last edited:
Yeah, but like I said, I find it unfortunate that they had to put her in that situation. So far she's been reduced to an attractive redhead who rubs her backside against Jon. Deep stuff. Whereas I felt her introduction in the book, with the story she told, was a lot better character-wise. Notice that she didn't try to seduce him then to escape. Granted, Stonesnake was with him, but still. To me, all of this seems very out of character. I think her fiery nature would have been better established by the acceptance of her impending death that she showed in the book instead of TV!Yigritte's desperate attempts to get Jon to take off his pants so she can run. But everyone interprets characters differently, I suppose. What the hell did Jon think he was doing, anyway? This whole storyline with him wandering around with her is dumb, imo. I preferred how it all went down in the book. And I don't understand why they changed it, because thus far it hasn't created better television, really. Maybe the wildling showdown we're likely to get in this next episode will shed some light on why they made the changes they did. Because unlike these scenes, I can understand the stolen dragon changes - it makes for better TV.

Tywin seems way too smiley lately for my liking.

Cersei is way too sympathetic and critical of Joffrey, too.

Yeah, but like I said, I find it unfortunate that they had to put her in that situation. So far she's been reduced to an attractive redhead who rubs her backside against Jon. Deep stuff. Whereas I felt her introduction in the book, with the story she told, was a lot better character-wise. Notice that she didn't try to seduce him then to escape. Granted, Stonesnake was with him, but still. To me, all of this seems very out of character. I think her fiery nature would have been better established by the acceptance of her impending death that she showed in the book instead of TV!Yigritte's desperate attempts to get Jon to take off his pants so she can run. But everyone interprets characters differently, I suppose. What the hell did Jon think he was doing, anyway? This whole storyline with him wandering around with her is dumb, imo. I preferred how it all went down in the book. And I don't understand why they changed it, because thus far it hasn't created better television, really. Maybe the wildling showdown we're likely to get in this next episode will shed some light on why they made the changes they did. Because unlike these scenes, I can understand the stolen dragon changes - it makes for better TV.

Tywin seems way too smiley lately for my liking.

Cersei is way too sympathetic and critical of Joffrey, too.

I found it unrealistic that she was so uncritical of Joffrey in the books, to be honest. I don't mind them making Cersei more sympathetic. Had they made her that way in the books, there would likely be far less complaints about her 40% face time in Feast. They say in the books Ygritte has had it hard for Jon since they arrived into the Wilding camp and plainly. It stands to reason she would like him as quickly (if not quicker) if she were to be with him one on one like the show. She isn't a skank in the books but she really isn't here either. Her dialogue made clear that she's a free woman who does what she wants when she wants and that's been personified well. I agree though that they need to go somewhere with this "lost in the snow" bit Jon has going on.

Last edited:
I found it unrealistic that she was so uncritical of Joffrey in the books, to be honest. I don't mind them making Cersei more sympathetic. Had they made her that way in the books, there would likely be far less complaints about her 40% face time in Feast. They say in the books Ygritte has had it hard for Jon since they arrived into the Wilding camp and plainly. It stands to reason she would like him as quickly (if not quicker) if she were to be with him one on one like the show. She isn't a skank in the books but she really isn't here either. Her dialogue made clear that she's a free woman who does what she wants when she wants and that's been personified well. I agree though that they need to go somewhere with this "lost in the snow" bit Jon has going on.

ROFL, oh my GOSH, do you meet many mothers? I can't count the times I run into/meet mothers who are absolutely blind to their childrens' flaws, like Cersei is in the books. Mothers who think their children are God's gift to this world no matter what horrible things they do - there's aaaaalways an excuse. Cersei is a nasty piece of work, ultimately worse than Jaime, imo, and yet they've randomly turned Jaime into a kinslayer now. Okay...? As if he couldn't have just started to beat the kid up to attract the guard, or told him to play dead? That also seemed out of character for me.

In my mind, it makes much more sense for her to fall in love (love, not merely lust) with Jon once he becomes a wildling, then to show she's instantly got a...ahem...hard-on for him right away, so to speak. Actually, I think when she finally does fall in love with Jon in the show, it'll have less of an impact for me now, because she's been playing the seductress in her escape attempts. It could come across as a sham. Really depends on how good the writing is. Book!Ygritte was almost more....gosh, I don't want to say INNOCENT, because that's not the right word, but I had a lot of respect for her. She didn't stoop to TV!Ygritte's level to try to escape. She accepted her fate, not without fear, but in a kind of stony way that was very brave. She didn't attempt to run until Jon willingly let her go. THAT takes more balls (pardon my crude phrase here - LOL) than what TV!Ygritte is doing. So...again, all the rump rubbing has kinda made me roll my eyes. Just seems like another HBO attempt to spice things up. I find Ygritte's offer (perhaps more like order - haha) to have sex with Jon after lying to Mance to save his life (claiming they had been intimate many times) a very good scene. Considering she's been constantly making that offer already, I think it'll have less impact. Unless, of course, they totally change that scene too, or don't even include it. Prior to this moment in the book she had shown interest in him and slept near him at night, and it's OBVIOUS that she WANTS to sleep with him, but it's not really until this point that she's like, "okay Jon, we're doing this. Send Ghost away tonight." :rofl: It was an interesting combo between selfless (lying to Mance to save him) and selfish (she's basically forcing him to sleep with her). I think they're going to lose this dynamic in the show.

The whole being free thing has only really been discussed in sexual terms. As she stated, she's free to screw who she wants, whereas Jon can't ever have a woman because he swore some stupid oath, yadda bladdy blah. I'd like to see the wildlings' freedom being applied to things other than who you can spread your legs for during their conversations. Something a little deeper, perhaps, because it's not like Jon is some sort of man-whore who's going to switch sides just to have sex. I reeeeally hope Jon's defection to the wildlings goes down like it does in the book, and he isn't shown as defecting by choice.

Last edited:
ROFL, oh my GOSH, do you meet many mothers? I can't count the times I run into/meet mothers who are absolutely blind to their childrens' flaws, like Cersei is in the books. Mothers who think their children are God's gift to this world no matter what horrible things they do - there's aaaaalways an excuse. Cersei is a nasty piece of work, ultimately worse than Jaime, imo, and yet they've randomly turned Jaime into a kinslayer now. Okay...? As if he couldn't have just started to beat the kid up to attract the guard, or told him to play dead? That also seemed out of character for me.

Eh, I don't buy that Cersei is so blind to Joff's evil that she makes excuses. Even in the first book she's openly appalled by his stupidity in handling Ned Stark. She knows full well he's a pompous little meanie and knows full well why the entire kingdom hates him, as demonstrated via poop-to-the-face. In the book we eventually get that she was aware he was a monster through her POV and it's human nature to want to get things like that off your chest. She was missing her favorite brother but was alone in a room with another. Tyrion admittedly knows of Cersei and Jamie's twicest so to allow a private discussion about it only with him, with nothing at stake, is a very reasonable thing to do. I liked Jamie's scene, too. I mean, in the books he tried similar trickery to
kill Brieanne, only with less success[/spoler] and flat shoved Bran out a window. It's well within his character to take the low road to get out of of trouble.

In my mind, it makes much more sense for her to fall in love (love, not merely lust) with Jon once he becomes a wildling, then to show she's instantly got a...ahem...hard-on for him right away, so to speak. Actually, I think when she finally does fall in love with Jon in the show, it'll have less of an impact for me now, because she's been playing the seductress in her escape attempts. It could come across as a sham. Really depends on how good the writing is. Book! Ygritte was almost more....gosh, I don't want to say INNOCENT, because that's not the right word, but I had a lot of respect for her. She didn't stoop to TV! Ygritte's level to try to escape. She accepted her fate, not without fear, but in a kind of stony way that was very brave. So...again, all the rump rubbing has kinda made me roll my eyes. Just seems like another HBO attempt to spice things up.

The whole being free thing has only really been discussed in sexual terms. As she stated, she's free to screw who she wants, whereas Jon can't ever have a woman because he swore some stupid oath, yadda bladdy blah. I'd like to see the wildlings' freedom being applied to things other than who you can spread your legs for during their conversations. Something a little deeper, perhaps, because it's not like Jon is some sort of man-whore who's going to switch sides just to have sex.

She was just as Brave, and even more clever in the series. The way I saw it, her discussion about taking the Black and it's inherent lack of sex and going on about all he's missing was to get him lost and lead him into a trap. I did not get the feeling she loves him yet, but used what little resources she had to escape. More power to her for being successful.

Yeah, but kinslaying is different. It's one of the most despised things in the GoT universe. A kinslayer is someone who's truly cursed. I don't buy that Jaime would do it so casually, especially when he could have just FAKED it. I mean, really. I get that they wanted the shock and drama of the moment, but then you shouldn't have had him killing another Lannister.

I also just can't see Cersei admitting such a thing/opening up to Tyrion in such a way. She HATES Tyrion more than anyone in the world.

I prefer book!Ygritte to TV!Ygritte thus far, obviously. Hoping they at least do her character more justice later on.

Can't believe we haven't seen the *MILD VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD* chain make an appearance yet. Curious how this battle is gonna go down... I wonder if they can do it justice with their budget.

Yeah, but kinslaying is different. It's one of the most despised things in the GoT universe. A kinslayer is someone who's truly cursed. I don't buy that Jaime would do it so casually, especially when he could have just FAKED it. I mean, really. I get that they wanted the shock and drama of the moment, but then you shouldn't have had him killing another Lannister.

I also just can't see Cersei admitting such a thing/opening up to Tyrion in such a way. She HATES Tyrion more than anyone in the world.

I prefer book!Ygritte to TV!Ygritte thus far, obviously. Hoping they at least do her character more justice later on.

Can't believe we haven't seen the *MILD VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD* chain make an appearance yet. Curious how this battle is gonna go down... I wonder if they can do it justice with their budget.

If it's kin he doesn't even know and he needs an escape plan, I don't see why he wouldn't. He's already a King Slayer and openly attempted to murder an innocent, highborn ten year old. Cersei hates Tyrion but in book two she does forget about it time to time and treat him like a real brother. For example, when Stannis attacked Renly Cersei lifted Tyrion, genuinely hugged him, and twirled him around. I like Ygritte in the book better two, but only because I know her more. With enough time and a healthy script, I may like TV Ygritte just fine.

Kin is kin. He's a Lannister. That's different from killing his king and some kid he doesn't know spying on him and Cersei. Other fans are having a good discussion on the matter here.

The whole hugging thing was because she was totally giddy over what had occurred (Stannis attacking Renly was huge, because King's Landing was in real danger from both of them), not because she was beginning to think of him as a brother. There was never any reconciliation between the two. As it's explained in the book, she hates him from the moment he's born because he killed their mother, and she views him as a freak of nature.

Kin is kin. He's a Lannister. That's different from killing his king and some kid he doesn't know spying on him and Cersei. Other fans are having a good discussion on the matter here.

The whole hugging thing was because she was totally giddy over what had occurred (Stannis attacking Renly was huge, because King's Landing was in real danger from both of them), not because she was beginning to think of him as a brother. There was never any reconciliation between the two. As it's explained in the book, she hates him from the moment he's born because he killed their mother, and she views him as a freak of nature.

They might simply have let go the notion of Kingslaying being the biggest party foul for the sake of the show. I thought the scene was cool and made for better television than seeing him simply rot in a cell. I love Jamie as a character and like that they are giving him more face time than the second book. Even if it's giddiness that spurred it, she did, in those moments, treat Tyrion like a true brother/friend which is why he was so taken aback. Clearly neither Cersei or Jamie's actions are 100% ripped from the pages, and I don't really agree with what they did in her and Tyrion's moment, but nothing yet shown has been make or break with me. I'm still irritated about there being no Reeds :(