1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

HHN 27: American Horror Story

Discussion in 'Haunted Houses' started by Brian G., Mar 29, 2017.

1. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

It's nothing like Cannibal Colony. Honestly, Coven had been my favorite season until Roanoke. Roanoke easily has some of the strongest visuals of any season so far, and could have likely supported an extended house by itself. It definitely had one of the highest kill counts, and each kill (and subsequent ghost) feels distinctive and unique from the last.

2. darkridelover

darkridelover Veteran Member

My problem with AHS last year was there were no scares at all. It was just a showcase of set design and makeup so fanboys can re-live their favorite moments of the show. All the times I went through the house last year not one person made an attempt at a scare. Maybe I just went through at the wrong time but good design without scares does not make a great house to me.

3. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

I would agree on no scares on the first week or two, but after that - it was one of the great houses of the event. I was "meh" on it initially, but it was my favorite near the end.

JPRA513 and Joel like this.
  4. darkridelover

darkridelover Veteran Member

I guess I didn't get the same experience. I think I went through the house 5 times throughout the event. Wasn't worth the wait for me but groups I was with were dying to see it.

5. Joel

Joel Premium Member

Ya, I definitely got some awesome scares in there, biggest one was the tall guy dressed in red (I believe) that jumped out form underneath the carriage. That almost made me fall over backwards. I went end of September and middle October.

6. Returning-The-Reaction

Returning-The-Reaction Rookie

Saw this from someone who attended the recent media event in London with Mike Aiello:

Halloween Horror Nights 27 and news from Universal Orlando Resort, Florida - ENGLISH MUM

DaPankRanger and maroonmol like this.
  7. Speed

Speed Rookie

8. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

So they're doing the whole no facade thing again? Bleh

9. graspthesun

graspthesun Premium Member

No reason to change what worked for them last year.

TheCode and MattA like this.
  10. TheCode

TheCode Veteran Member

theres definitely a big facade inside.... from asylum.

ThemeParks4Life likes this.
  11. Joel

Joel Premium Member

YES!

TheCode likes this.
  12. Nips

Nips Newcomer

Nice! I'm going tomorrow and I'm excited for this house. Asylum was one of my favorite seasons.

anihilnation likes this.
  13. Returning-The-Reaction

Returning-The-Reaction Rookie

I'll preface my review of this house by saying that I do not watch the TV show.

Asylum is definitely my favorite part of this house. The timing of the Bloody Face actor just after the guy missing his arm is quite good. I also enjoy the long Christmas hallway with the mirror gag even though this basic setup has been used a couple of times in the past at HHN. If you don't see the actor resetting, it really is an effective scare. Next, the patients (both casts) that jump out at you from from their cell on your left do a really good job, followed by the winged actress who does a good job at distracting you from the scare to your right. I don't know the character, but whomever plays the 'play with me!' one does a really nice job, especially on one cast but I can't remember which.

In Coven, I got a good scare in the stilt/masquerade? room the first time I went through. The actress to the left as you enter the room waited until I had passed and then attacked from behind me. Never knew she was coming. The bull-headed actor on the right after passing by the "You're not man enough" actress does a really good job of scaring. I like the use of shadow with Papa Legba. Also, one of the casts' actresses that plays the theremin is really awesome. It took me a bit to realize that she was a real person.

The Roanoke section feels pretty short, but I do enjoy the pig-man on the left just as you exit the house.

Oh, and I think the scents used within this house are effective. I don't like the smell in the Roanoke part as I find it nauseating, but I guess that's kinda the point.

Basically everything else in this house that I didn't mention either goes over my head because I don't watch the show, or I just don't think it's all that effective and is forgettable.

ThemeParks4Life and maroonmol like this.
  14. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

Oh btw, Ryan Murphy confirmed he is already working with Universal on the house for next year. Just thought I would pass that on

maroonmol and anihilnation like this.
  15. Horror Lover

Horror Lover Rookie

Where was this mentioned?

16. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

17. Joel

Joel Premium Member

18. UniversalRBLX

UniversalRBLX Veteran Member

Yeah, Hollywood for sure is getting AHS next year, Orlando may wait a year before bringing it back.

19. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

-_-

Why on earth would they do that?

AlexanderMBush likes this.
  20. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

So they can bring Walking Dead back lolz

In all seriousness, I've heard Roanoke lost a significant amount of viewers...Not sure if the show has the pull it once did