What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 27: American Horror Story

I have not seen Roanoke - just as long as it's not like Cannibal Colony, I'll be fine.
It's nothing like Cannibal Colony. Honestly, Coven had been my favorite season until Roanoke. Roanoke easily has some of the strongest visuals of any season so far, and could have likely supported an extended house by itself. It definitely had one of the highest kill counts, and each kill (and subsequent ghost) feels distinctive and unique from the last.

My problem with AHS last year was there were no scares at all. It was just a showcase of set design and makeup so fanboys can re-live their favorite moments of the show. All the times I went through the house last year not one person made an attempt at a scare. Maybe I just went through at the wrong time but good design without scares does not make a great house to me.

My problem with AHS last year was there were no scares at all. It was just a showcase of set design and makeup so fanboys can re-live their favorite moments of the show. All the times I went through the house last year not one person made an attempt at a scare. Maybe I just went through at the wrong time but good design without scares does not make a great house to me.

I would agree on no scares on the first week or two, but after that - it was one of the great houses of the event. I was "meh" on it initially, but it was my favorite near the end.

I would agree on no scares on the first week or two, but after that - it was one of the great houses of the event. I was "meh" on it initially, but it was my favorite near the end.
I guess I didn't get the same experience. I think I went through the house 5 times throughout the event. Wasn't worth the wait for me but groups I was with were dying to see it.

Ya, I definitely got some awesome scares in there, biggest one was the tall guy dressed in red (I believe) that jumped out form underneath the carriage. That almost made me fall over backwards. I went end of September and middle October.

Saw this from someone who attended the recent media event in London with Mike Aiello:
If you’re a fan of this cult show, you’ll know that each season is different: this year, the maze will focus on three seasons: Asylum, where we’ll come face to face with some of Dr Arden’s horrific human ‘Rasper’ experiments and encounter the serial killer, Bloody Face; Coven, a New Orleans inspired, Salem witch story; and My Roanoke Nightmare, based on the horrific story of the Millers and their encounters with that horrendously terrifying Piggy Man. Ugh! The American Horror Story maze is huge, covering something like 12 – 13,000 square feet.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 and news from Universal Orlando Resort, Florida - ENGLISH MUM

I'll preface my review of this house by saying that I do not watch the TV show.

Asylum is definitely my favorite part of this house. The timing of the Bloody Face actor just after the guy missing his arm is quite good. I also enjoy the long Christmas hallway with the mirror gag even though this basic setup has been used a couple of times in the past at HHN. If you don't see the actor resetting, it really is an effective scare. Next, the patients (both casts) that jump out at you from from their cell on your left do a really good job, followed by the winged actress who does a good job at distracting you from the scare to your right. I don't know the character, but whomever plays the 'play with me!' one does a really nice job, especially on one cast but I can't remember which.

In Coven, I got a good scare in the stilt/masquerade? room the first time I went through. The actress to the left as you enter the room waited until I had passed and then attacked from behind me. Never knew she was coming. The bull-headed actor on the right after passing by the "You're not man enough" actress does a really good job of scaring. I like the use of shadow with Papa Legba. Also, one of the casts' actresses that plays the theremin is really awesome. It took me a bit to realize that she was a real person.

The Roanoke section feels pretty short, but I do enjoy the pig-man on the left just as you exit the house.

Oh, and I think the scents used within this house are effective. I don't like the smell in the Roanoke part as I find it nauseating, but I guess that's kinda the point.

Basically everything else in this house that I didn't mention either goes over my head because I don't watch the show, or I just don't think it's all that effective and is forgettable.