Homemade Butterbeer Recipe | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Homemade Butterbeer Recipe

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The butterbeer in the park, which is approved by JKR, is thin and carbonated. But if you think you get something good, please share! :thumbs:
I must have got mine from a different batch, because it was THICK. Not visually, but I would definitely describe it as thick. It was like drinking a cup of caramel.

:lol: Well there are only those 2 versions at Universal. I don't know how your Butterbeer ended up thick unless there was more foam than soda. :shrug:

Yeah I am wondering...because towards the end of my vacation I started getting doubleshots of foam and it still wasn't that thick. Very thin, refreshing and light tbh from all my experiences with the regular.

This was during the soft openings, so perhaps they were still working out the kinks. I know that one day I was there, they advised up not to get the iced Butterbeer from the cart outside because it was watery. On another day, I would definitely say my iced Butterbeer was watery, because the other two times I bought some, it was much more icy and much, much better.

Butterbeer has been the same constancy ever since we had previews, only difference is temperature it is served at from time to time (outdoor cart fails)

You have made my day (actually more like my MONTH)!! I've been dying for butterbeer ever since I went to WWOHP last week for the first time. I've found tons of recipes online but most are based just off of descriptions in the book and people's speculations about what they THOUGHT butterbeer would taste like. Your recipe is the first I've found based directly off of the theme park's interpretation, which I found to be DELICIOUS! The concept of having a separately prepared foam head is what really sets the "real" recipe (Yours/the park's) from all the others I've found online. Anyways, I just rushed to the store, bought necessary ingredients and tried it... it's PERFECT! Okay, to be completely honest I guess I would have to say it's a 9/10 because I can tell a SLIGHT difference between yours and what I tasted in the park, but really it's more than I could have imagined or ever come up with myself, and I am SOOOO happy. Try it, folks, you won't be disappointed. And take the time to whip up the foam by hand, it's much better than store-bought whipped cream and more accurate.
Just as a side note, I made a second cup and added some butterscotch syrup (the thick kind used for ice cream topping, I think made by Smuckers) to the cream soda and stirred it in before adding the foam top. It's a little richer and I think I like it just a teensy bit more. I used somewhere around 1-2 tablespoons. Let me know if anyone else tries it my way and what you think!
Again,THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I'm sharing your recipe with my friends (giving credit where credit is due of course) and can't wait to have people over for a butterbeer party (I'll have to check out the "adult" version too)... :happy:

Just got the ingrediants. I will mix it up and try it tonight! Yay! :happy:

Edit: Just tryed the recipe. I have to hand it to you guys, Good Job! :thumbs: :rep:

Here is my glass:

1000248ov.jpg

Last edited:
Clickorlando.com

The official Butter Beer Recipe.

There's no need to travel to Hogsmeade -- or to "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Universal Orlando -- to get a taste of butterbeer. The drink is one of the features of the new Harry Potter attraction at Universal's Islands of Adventure, and now the recipe for the beverage is available to all.

The 20-acre park brings the Harry Potter books and movies to life with detailed reproductions of the fictitious village of Hogsmeade, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and the steam-belching Hogwarts Express train.

"The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" officially opened in mid-June, and Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Bonnie Wright and Tom Felton -- Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Ginny Weasley and Draco Malfoy, respectively -- were on hand, along with other stars of the Harry Potter film franchise. Hundreds of media members from all over the world were also on hand to cover the opening of the attraction that has been five years in the making.

With the heat index nearing 100 by Friday afternoon, many rushed immediately for an ice cold butterbeer, a staple beverage from the books which until now was offered exclusively at the Wizarding World.

Here's the recipe for the formerly fictional drink made famous by the young wizard, Harry Potter.

BUTTERBEER

Start to finish: 1 hour (10 minutes active)

Servings: 4

•1 cup light or dark brown sugar
•2 tablespoons water
•6 tablespoon butter
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
•3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
•1/2 teaspoon rum extract
•Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer. Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.

To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

^ Looks long to make! But i'm not convenced that is the real recipe. I want Universal to annoce the recipe, not a news site.

I'm almost positive that ClickOrlando's recipe is not the real one. The bartenders at Hog's Head told a guest in front of me that there is absolutely no dairy in Butterbeer. ClickOrlando's recipe has butter, a dairy product.

I'm almost positive that ClickOrlando's recipe is not the real one. The bartenders at Hog's Head told a guest in front of me that there is absolutely no dairy in Butterbeer. ClickOrlando's recipe has butter, a dairy product.

Interesting....and all along, I had a feeling the ClickOrlando's recipe wasn't the real Butterbeer.

Last edited:
Yeah it just seemed to long and complicated. Remember, UC packed up all their ingrediants and flew them to Scotland for JKR. Some of those ingrediants are not easily portable.