Homemade Butterbeer Recipe | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Homemade Butterbeer Recipe

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah it just seemed to long and complicated. Remember, UC packed up all their ingrediants and flew them to Scotland for JKR. Some of those ingrediants are not easily portable.

Also, with the demaind high for Butterbeer in the WWoHP. Universal needs a fast recipe for Butterbeer that doesn't take a hour long to make. More like how fast Brian's and ralph's recipe took to make!

Last edited:
I just looked up the article on ClickOrlando.com and they're saying it's their own custom recipe, not the official. Mystery solved. :lol:

Last edited:
Okay I"ll be honest. Ralph's recipe is an AMAZING attempt and is easily the best chance you'll ever have at tasting Butter Beer at home! It tastes (and looks) almost just like the Butter Beer at Universal. I mean of course it will be never taste exaclty like Uni's mix, but it is most definitely the next best thing and will certainly leave those who desire Butter Beer at home satisfied. Great, easy recipe and great attempt Ralph. Delicious, and the next best thing to getting it at the park.

Finally tried it and it was great! Very close to the one in the island. I made two batches (4 bottles) and somehow ended up with different results.

My first batch ended up great and nearly identical. My second batch ended up with a very odd taste. :shrug:

All three of us that tried it, enjoyed it! Great work, guys! :thumbs:

Last edited:
You're welcome guys. I just had a hankering for it one day and me and Brian started discussing how to make the foam. It was quite easy and turned out nearly identical to the drink I fell in love with over my vacation last week. I hope you guys continue to enjoy :thumbs:

Just wiped up another drink of Butterbeer, but for some reason it was better that the first one I had. :/ I must have done something different to make it better. Anyway, again Awesome job!

While cream soda tastes great, especially when mixed with sugar, cream, and vanilla on top, it's just not the same. The Butterbeer sold in the park is non-dairy, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread.

That rules out butter and cream. Cream soda certainly can be the base, as there's not actually cream in it, but I believe it's more than just ordinary cream soda in there. And then there's the foam. How do you create a thick, frothy vanilla foam without using a single dairy product? Cool Whip is considered "non-dairy" though it does contain casein, which comes from milk. So if something like Cool Whip is used to create the Butterbeer topping, would Universal still be able to call that non-dairy?

Could this be used instead to help create the froth

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean/Cottonseed Oil; Palm Oil: Heldman says that these oils are used in place of milk fat. They deliver the creamy texture and some of the rich, fatty flavor of cream.

That's basically the nondairy creamer people put in their coffee. And it's certainly a possibility. Cool Whip is based on oils as well, though as I wrote above does use a milk-derived ingredient. Nondairy creamer is 100% nondairy (as its name suggests). It's worth experimenting with.

It also seems to me like Universal's foam dispenser creates the consistency as it comes out of the machine. I doubt the machine is filled with foam and it simply pours out. It may create the foam from a liquid inside.

Has anyone seen them ever refill the Butterbeer cart?

While cream soda tastes great, especially when mixed with sugar, cream, and vanilla on top, it's just not the same. The Butterbeer sold in the park is non-dairy, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread.

That rules out butter and cream. Cream soda certainly can be the base, as there's not actually cream in it, but I believe it's more than just ordinary cream soda in there. And then there's the foam. How do you create a thick, frothy vanilla foam without using a single dairy product? Cool Whip is considered "non-dairy" though it does contain casein, which comes from milk. So if something like Cool Whip is used to create the Butterbeer topping, would Universal still be able to call that non-dairy?

The point wasn't to create an exact replica of Universal's formula as they have access to other flavorings and supplies we do not. We wanted to make a recipe that is incredibly easy to make (supplies are found in every grocery store) and tastes just like the one you would get in the WWOHP. We just thought it up using normal household ingredients.

And yes, as far as I could tell the foam is liquid that is turned into a frothy substance as it's dispensed if that helps out the search?

I wonder why Universal's version is non-dairy? Think that was intentional, or just wasn't needed?

My guess is that they wanted it to be available to as many guests as possible and adding dairy would cut off quite a few guests. They may have just gotten a better flavor with non-dairy products though. Who knows? :shrug:

:lol: Makes sense, I guess Myrtle would have good reason to moan if the lactose intolerant peeps got a hold of it......

I would never use that bathroom at the WWoHP never again!

--- Update ---

I figured it was because they wanted everyone to be able to drink it, even those with lactose intolerance.

I'm a little bit lactose intolerance so that is a good move on Universal' part for poeple like me.

And dairy products are not very refreshing in 100 degree heat imo, and oh the mess you would have to clean up. ewww!

I haven't had Butterbeer but I just saw this on a friend's Tumblr page. Wondered what you guys thought.

Ingredients:

* 1 cup (8 oz) club soda or cream soda
* ½ cup (4 oz) butterscotch syrup (ice cream topping)
* ½ tablespoon butter

Directions:

Step 1: Measure butterscotch and butter into a 2 cup (16 oz) glass. Microwave on high for 1 to 1½ minutes, or until syrup is bubbly and butter is completely incorporated.

Step 2: Stir and cool for 30 seconds, then slowly mix in club soda. Mixture will fizz quite a bit.

Step 3: Serve in two coffee mugs or small glasses; a perfectly warm Hogwarts treat for two!