Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Horror Movies Thread

That doesn’t sound great.
THE EXORCIST is one of my favorite films, so I'm nervous.

Then again, it can't possibly be worse than EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC!

DGG and Danny Mcbride are both so talented, why are they so damned determined to do these legacy things that are designed to fail. I mean I guess I know why, but still.

Truly no surprise to me given what they did with the Halloween legacy sequels.
To see what they did there and turn around and give them the green for THREE Exorcist films is a little baffling, IMO.

In fairness, I think DGG's HALLOWEEN trilogy is -- at very worst -- just a mixed bag (one pretty good movie, one not very good movie, one movie of debatable merit!). HALLOWEEN '18 should indicate he can put together a respectful continuation of a classic.

But the thing about THE EXORCIST, in particular, is that it's such a unique marriage of director (William Friedkin) and writer/producer (William Peter Blatty). You don't need both of them involved (THE EXORCIST III is only Blatty, and it's great), but I think you certainly need one of their voices... and neither of them are involved in the new movie (Blatty has passed and Friedkin has declined involvement in any other EXORCIST movies on general principle).

The major problem I have with the DGG Halloween trilogy is just the overall lack of cohesion and thought. I get that they went in to 18 with tempered expectations and when it exploded the studios demanded more but those second and third films just feel like two entries from entirely different sagas. Story and tone wise. And they were filmed BACK to BACK!

So seeing the team work that disjointedly and turn around and give them 3 movies seems weird to me. Though it comes down to cash and their Halloween films did well enough.

I'm also so weary of them getting a planned trilogy and this time actually working towards one only to have it swept out from under them, which would be equally disappointing, IMO. New Exorcist movies should print money though so as long as they can keep the budgets down they should get all 3.

Just not the biggest fan at all of the DGG Halloween trilogy but I'll go in with fresh eyes to this regardless.

Should’ve left the original Exorcist alone. It’s stood the test of time because it’s a genuinely well-crafted movie made by serious filmmakers. There’s nothing modern techniques can do to improve on that. All you can really do is make it “scarier” with more CGI, more shocking profanity, etc. …and that just misses the point.

Should’ve left the original Exorcist alone. It’s stood the test of time because it’s a genuinely well-crafted movie made by serious filmmakers. There’s nothing modern techniques can do to improve on that. All you can really do is make it “scarier” with more CGI, more shocking profanity, etc. …and that just misses the point.
I'm predicting an absolute flood of vomit coming from the girl in the new one

Caught a great hidden gem this weekend. The Borderlands is a found footage style British horror film from 2013 about a team of Vatican investigators exploring the claims of a small church's 'miracle' that was caught on tape during a baptism.
Just a really, really creative and well thought out found footage horror. Won't hold your hand, doesn't spoon feed explanations and it goes in some tremendous directions in the ending that packs a wallop of a punch. This one deserves a lot more praise than it's been given!

Caught The Boogeyman on the front end of a double header today. I know nothing about the novel to compare it to, but I enjoyed it. It's not phenomenal, but I can definitely recommend it for a good time, although it gave me streaming vibes and i'd honestly recommend waiting tbh.

Friend asked me to describe the movie and essentially it's like Season 1 of Stranger Things in an hour and a half long movie. Not really sure how to better describe it than that.

DGG and Danny Mcbride are both so talented, why are they so damned determined to do these legacy things that are designed to fail. I mean I guess I know why, but still.
Why?

In fairness, I think DGG's HALLOWEEN trilogy is -- at very worst -- just a mixed bag (one pretty good movie, one not very good movie, one movie of debatable merit!). HALLOWEEN '18 should indicate he can put together a respectful continuation of a classic.

But the thing about THE EXORCIST, in particular, is that it's such a unique marriage of director (William Friedkin) and writer/producer (William Peter Blatty). You don't need both of them involved (THE EXORCIST III is only Blatty, and it's great), but I think you certainly need one of their voices... and neither of them are involved in the new movie (Blatty has passed and Friedkin has declined involvement in any other EXORCIST movies on general principle).

I feel like Halloween ends is the worst Halloween movie if the entire franchise ( outside of rob zombies films) and it felt like an Insult to the character of Michael Myers and the fans.
They even said they knew that it will make fans mad and decided to do it anyway.
Completely irrational. Baffling choices.

Halloween ends was kinda like Jason goes to hell the final Friday. Awful lol.

Why?

I feel like Halloween ends is the worst Halloween movie if the entire franchise ( outside of rob zombies films) and it felt like an Insult to the character of Michael Myers and the fans.
They even said they knew that it will make fans mad and decided to do it anyway.

I think it's totally fair to think HALLOWEEN ENDS was awful. It's not what a lot of people were looking for, and I get it.

To me, I look at it this way: there were twelve HALLOWEEN movies made before that, containing multiple separate continuities, and it's a franchise that had been ongoing for 40+ years... so I didn't mind taking things in a somewhat experimental direction for ENDS.

Would I want every HALLOWEEN entry to be like that? No. But I like that the franchise has room for a SEASON OF THE WITCH or a HALLOWEEN ENDS.

Boogeyman is alright. Not a lot to it but I kinda like the design of the monster, strikes a nice balance between generic Quiet Place monster and generic creepy clown and ends up feeling a little bit unique (the It Chapter Two final boss should've looked like this).

Caught a great hidden gem this weekend. The Borderlands is a found footage style British horror film from 2013 about a team of Vatican investigators exploring the claims of a small church's 'miracle' that was caught on tape during a baptism.
Just a really, really creative and well thought out found footage horror. Won't hold your hand, doesn't spoon feed explanations and it goes in some tremendous directions in the ending that packs a wallop of a punch. This one deserves a lot more praise than it's been given!

Seconding this rec, that movie is awesome.

I think it's totally fair to think HALLOWEEN ENDS was awful. It's not what a lot of people were looking for, and I get it.

To me, I look at it this way: there were twelve HALLOWEEN movies made before that, containing multiple separate continuities, and it's a franchise that had been ongoing for 40+ years... so I didn't mind taking things in a somewhat experimental direction for ENDS.

Would I want every HALLOWEEN entry to be like that? No. But I like that the franchise has room for a SEASON OF THE WITCH or a HALLOWEEN ENDS.

When it comes to Friday the 13th, Jason, the most hated parts are Friday 5 and Friday 9 Jason goes to hell lol.
Quality varies between Friday movies but part 5 and part 9 are universally disliked, for similar reasons.

And to me, Halloween ends combined the problems that Friday the 13th part 5 and part 9 had lol. ( A different killer besides Michael/ Jason, their killing essence being transfered to a different person,
unnecessary lore. Unnecessary paranormal explanations of evil transferring around)
So Halloween ends wasn't even that original, it felt like it borrowed heavily from Friday the 13th part 9 Jason goes to hell. That was the other problem. It might be an original concept for Halloween to have Michaels evil transfer to Corey but Friday 13th part 9 had already done it ...

Speak for yourself, Jason Goes to Hell absolutely slaps and I applaud it for having a ton of fun with the mythos of a decade old plus franchise. Wouldn't want to see multiple movies of Worm-Jason slithering into other bodies but as a one film excursion into something wacky, I think it works wonders.
Then again I'm a Friday fanboy so I can come up with an excuse to like just about every single film in the franchise. I do have a soft spot for the later entries that just go full head over heels with a singular gimmick and make it work though.

When it comes to Friday the 13th, Jason, the most hated parts are Friday 5 and Friday 9 Jason goes to hell lol.
Quality varies between Friday movies but part 5 and part 9 are universally disliked, for similar reasons.

And to me, Halloween ends combined the problems that Friday the 13th part 5 and part 9 had lol. ( A different killer besides Michael/ Jason, their killing essence being transfered to a different person,
unnecessary lore. Unnecessary paranormal explanations of evil transferring around)
So Halloween ends wasn't even that original, it felt like it borrowed heavily from Friday the 13th part 9 Jason goes to hell. That was the other problem. It might be an original concept for Halloween to have Michaels evil transfer to Corey but Friday 13th part 9 had already done it ...
Jason Goes To Hell is slept on waaaay too much.
Speak for yourself, Jason Goes to Hell absolutely slaps and I applaud it for having a ton of fun with the mythos of a decade old plus franchise. Wouldn't want to see multiple movies of Worm-Jason slithering into other bodies but as a one film excursion into something wacky, I think it works wonders.
Then again I'm a Friday fanboy so I can come up with an excuse to like just about every single film in the franchise. I do have a soft spot for the later entries that just go full head over heels with a singular gimmick and make it work though.
^

Why?

1eb2th.jpg

Shudder subscribers should check out Brooklyn 45, the new film from the creator of We Are Still Here: Ted Geoghegan. A one room, character driven story set shortly after the end of World War II with a ton of spooky atmosphere dripping with heated tension. It's a poignant story with themes relevant to the hatred and blind ignorance that is still seeped into the DNA of America today. Start it for the idea of a spooky, period piece seance and stay for the terrific performances that drive the whole show.

Last edited: