House of Horrors Replacement | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

House of Horrors Replacement

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Stopped by the park earlier, here is what NOT-HoH looks like as of today...

3HoXvWi.jpg

I agree. That sounds like a random fan boy rumor that was spun out of speculation from our forums.

Screamscape also thought Universal Plaza would feature a blatant identical copy of the Carthay Circle Theatre...lol
He just reports what people tell him, regardless of their source. Sometimes they're accurate, sometimes they're wayyyy off. 

With that said, I do believe we'll be seeing Universal Monsters in the park in some form or another in the not-so-distant future, AND the HOH building looks incredible so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
We already do see the Universal Monsters in the park in some form.... well... 3 of them at least.... (just missing Phantom, Wolfman, Bride, Creature..). And yea, this happened on my way out of the park today... :rolleyes:  I swear, we just can't take me anywhere...

6rEKMP6.jpg

Reactions: Stylowtrix
He just reports what people tell him, regardless of their source. Sometimes they're accurate, sometimes they're wayyyy off.

With that said, I do believe we'll be seeing Universal Monsters in the park in some form or another in the not-so-distant future, AND the HOH building looks incredible so far.
Well aware of that :) Was talking about the site in general, not specifically about Lance. He's a great guy. I've spilled some beans to him before... :p But I sincerely think Universal needs to take advantage of their monster catalog. I mean....they'll always be popular and theyre crazy famous all over the world, they're classic and yet stand the test of time. And they don't need to pay royalties lol....

I want wait to see the entire facade revealed. I'm such a fan of beautiful and intricate facade work and different architecture.

However, that green color has GOT to go....reminds me of Finlay's...lol

The backside of the House of Horrors replacement is coming along nicely.  I have a feeling this project is going to make the park look FAR more cohesive.  From what I could tell looking thought the skrim most of the structure is nearly done.  I think all this scaffolding could be down in the next week or two.

HollywoodDine_112515_1.jpg

Yeah, the green is a little off-putting at first, but I think in context it will be fine.  Beetlejuice seems to like it. 

HollywoodDine_112515_2.jpg

I love that Beetlejuice is under the Despicable Me sign....how fitting ;)

Off topic, but Beetlejuice would make an incredible attraction. Look at Haunted Mansion Holiday, then imagine it even more high tech. Colorful, crazy, and creepy. Would be perfect for USH. *sigh* and before anyone says "well it's an old movie", I can guaruntee you with the proper marketing and merchandise, it would be a hit.

Anyway, regarding the facades, I gotta see the colors in person first I guess :)

Reactions: chris.g
I wonder how it will fit when looking directly at the Universal Plaza tower. That's the view that I'm much more interested in.

I love that Beetlejuice is under the Despicable Me sign....how fitting ;)

Off topic, but Beetlejuice would make an incredible attraction. Look at Haunted Mansion Holiday, then imagine it even more high tech. Colorful, crazy, and creepy. Would be perfect for USH. *sigh* and before anyone says "well it's an old movie", I can guaruntee you with the proper marketing and merchandise, it would be a hit.

Anyway, regarding the facades, I gotta see the colors in person first I guess :)
I think the time for a Beetlejuice ride has came and went, as awesome as it could've been. Shame Universal chose to do a show instead.

But yes those facades look great!

To be fair... Beetlejuice is a WB movie, not Universal so that probably limited their use back in the early 90s... Now "IF" that sequel happens, it will put the ghost with the most back in the spotlight. And I don't think its a shame Universal chose to do a show, it is & always will be one of their best shows they've ever done. The real shame is having gotten rid of it here, then Singapore, and soon Orlando (Thank god for Japan). Saying the time for a ride based on _______ has come & gone is kind of stupid when you think about the fact that Disney still creates rides/attractions based on their movies which are 15-25+ years old. Why should one park get to do that & another can't?

Beetlejuice is a timeless character. The classic monsters are also timeless (and a major part of Universal's legacy, something NBC/Comcast doesn't seem to comprehend fully when it comes to the parks). A ride, show, and any other experience can still & should happen.

oops... we strayed off topic... The color scheme is a little awkward considering everything else they've been doing has been the tan color, but I'm sure the exterior of this new façade will look a lot better once it has lighting & signage installed. I'm expecting the rest of the scaffolding/scrims to be down by next week... hopefully.

I 100% agree. Beetlejuice, along with every monster character, are timeless and classic and will always be popular. Definitely a shame Universal only exclusively picks either "today's blueplate special" franchises or franchises that guarantee good merchandise sales. I understand it from an accountant's point of view that they want to keep things fresh, but I genuinely think they could keep or honor the classics more that are just as popular and proven properties. Disney gets it...Universal doesn't.

Anyway yes, back on topic. I agree, I was shocked initially to learn it won't be the generic beige art deco style architecture they've been using for Universal Plaza and the new tour entrance. But I think it's exciting.

Not trying to provoke, mostly because I've heard this before: do you guys truly believe Despicable Me, F&F and Potter aren't capable of timelessness?

Not trying to provoke, mostly because I've heard this before: do you guys truly believe Despicable Me, F&F and Potter aren't capable of timelessness?
Of course they are, Harry Potter is already timeless. The other two, especially Despicable Me, will also be. Just meant that Universal puts a strong emphasis on newer properties at its theme parks and doesn't really respect the older classics all that much. That doesn't mean the newer films or franchises are bad, no one said that. Just wish it was a better balance of classic and newer. Especially classic UNIVERSAL properties. Jaws, ET, BTTF, JP, classic horror, etc. Another thing is that sometimes the newer attractions are arguably inferior to the originals.I know it's a business first and foremost and they wanna make merchandise sales through the roof. Just ideally wish it was a fine balance between classic and current. Love Universal either way.

Reactions: JaySalahi
Looks stunning! So colorful, almost a warped version of reality, but I'm digging it! Can't wait to see it fully revealed! Amazing what themeing and proper facades can do to improve a theme park. Really elevates USH. I wish they'd apply this gorgeous themeing to The Simpsons Ride, Mummy, Transformers, etc.

Not a fan of the green, mustard yellow and sky blue paint scheme. But they'll probably go through 10 different paint schemes over the course of the next two years.

Reactions: 12th Man
Not a fan of the green, mustard yellow and sky blue paint scheme. But they'll probably go through 10 different paint schemes over the course of the next two years.
Yeah, it's interesting how Universal has changed the paint scheme in Finlay's and some Springfield buildings a few times. Only time I've seen Disney do that is when they changed the color scheme of the Hyperion Bridge in Buena Vista Street multiple times.

But yeah, amazing to see so many amazing facades! Really changes the feel of the park. Makes me drool just thinking about a potential future replacement for Shrek as well, as well as upgrades everywhere else.

It depresses me to think, though, that The Simpson's Ride and Transformers have worse facades as MAJOR RIDES than what is essentially a new store...

Reactions: Imdbman
There will probably be some slightly different paint jobs up until it opens, like Springfield. I'm also hoping they plan on aging the building a bit more, atleast the London/New York themed side. I have confidence in this project.. It looks gorgeous so far!!

I was unsure of the paint scheme as well upon first seeing it, but when you look at that second photo above, the side of the building facing Universal Plaza blends in almost seamlessly with Baker Street. I have a feeling the side that faces WaterWorld and Hollywood Grill will blend the Old Spanish feel of the entrance plaza with the Art Deco theme of Universal Plaza.