Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How long will The Simpsons Ride last?

How long will the Simpsons Ride last?

• Total voters
I hope they demolish the ride system when it comes time to replace it.
I'll be honest, I think Simpsons will get a light overhaul to make sure it can reach the contract expiration, but as soon as that show is off the air the clock starts ticking on them replacing it

I think it will be replaced long before the contract expires tbh

I think it will probably stay until close to the end of the contract, but mostly because of where it fits in the bigger picture of Universal expansions.

UFW will likely take all of Universal's major construction efforts until around 2023/24, and then I would think that LC, FF, and Kidzone should all still be higher than Simpsons on the priority list of what to replace next, which means they probably won't get around to replacing Simpsons until near or at the end of the contract.

If it does make it to 2028 that's 20 years for a ride. Nearly 40 years like someone else said for the ride system. That's enough. Terminator 2 lasted 21 years. Jaws lasted nearly 22 years. Earthquake/Disaster was 25 years.... other than ET not much else has lasted that long. I love the Simpsons (welll...old Simpsons but still watch the new ones) but I don't know if I'll want a Simpsons ride to last beyond 10 years from now. The merchandising is awesome but I don't think it's going to be a big issue if they lose the IP in 10 more years. It's time.

10 years is a long time too, something new might come along that they want to plug into that plot of land that's better than The Simpsons.

Maybe they have a larger land / type of attraction that could takeover the space of Simpsons + Kidzone -- i.e. demo the whole area. especially considering The Simpsons attraction is hella old

If it does make it to 2028 that's 20 years for a ride. Nearly 40 years like someone else said for the ride system. That's enough. Terminator 2 lasted 21 years. Jaws lasted nearly 22 years. Earthquake/Disaster was 25 years.... other than ET not much else has lasted that long. I love the Simpsons (welll...old Simpsons but still watch the new ones) but I don't know if I'll want a Simpsons ride to last beyond 10 years from now. The merchandising is awesome but I don't think it's going to be a big issue if they lose the IP in 10 more years. It's time.

10 years is a long time too, something new might come along that they want to plug into that plot of land that's better than The Simpsons.
That's why I think it is leaving before the contract expires

Maybe they have a larger land / type of attraction that could takeover the space of Simpsons + Kidzone -- i.e. demo the whole area. especially considering The Simpsons attraction is hella old
I certainly think it's possible that we get an expansion into that back plot...I'm always surprised at how compressed the Simpsons building actually is during Horror Nights...It seems massive from the front end, but in reality it's actually super skinny

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be tough to fit a massive dark ride back there without the expansion plot

If Emily Blunt is finally cast as the Invisible Woman in the next Fantastic Four film, it will be all worth this BS. Until then, goodbye Simpsons. I still have South Park and Rick & Morty.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

*BTW, Disney owns a part of R&M, thanks to that couch gag. I’ll let that slide. For now...

Is the 2028 expiration date official?
Ish.

We believe it was a 20 year theme park rights contract and it began in 2008, so sometime in 2028 is the best guess anyone has. The question is who breaks up with who first. Disney and Comcast very likely will not extend no matter what, but will Comcast or Disney decide to terminate early? In all likelihood no and they both ride it out until the contract is up.

Ish.

We believe it was a 20 year theme park rights contract and it began in 2008, so sometime in 2028 is the best guess anyone has. The question is who breaks up with who first. Disney and Comcast very likely will not extend no matter what, but will Comcast or Disney decide to terminate early? In all likelihood no and they both ride it out until the contract is up.
2028 isn’t that long away. So best case scenario Uni will ride it out. But if I had to make a guess? Comcast will get rid of the IP for something else. If I were them I would take advantage of there Dreamworks IP’s.

As long as the show still brings in audiences (and if it does bring The Simpsons Movie 2 to theaters in the coming years), I'd imagine NBCUniversal will keep Simpsons for Hollywood and Orlando until the contract date.

Dreamworks is going to be put to heavy use in Fantastic Worlds.

I said this on the speculation thread, but I would not be shocked if UPR/UC is gunning on one DWA IP at the start, and nothing more until after; ala Beijing.

__

Could Simpsons be replaced by something else sooner? Perhaps, but I doubt they'd want to get into contractual issues from either Disney or Universal in the terms of payment.