Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hurricane Matthew

I guess all the members here were injured by the hurricane and are recuperating in the hospital? It's like wandering through death valley here today. :saywhat:
Keep in mind there's still like 250,000 people without power or in shelters.
, but, ya, it is awfully quiet around these parts. Almost like a Ghost Town.

Orlando was very fortunate. There was debris everywhere and water levels of pools and lakes were higher than usual. The curfew (originally scheduled to end at 7 AM on Saturday) was lifted on 2 PM Friday. Back to work as usual.

DBF and I walked around the neighborhood and also drove a bit in the afternoon, and we noticed that the two Publixes near us were even open for business.

I'm glad that all of you guys are personally safe and from a slightly selfish point of view, that Florida is generally ok in anticipation of my visit in 11 days. However, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'jokes' on twitter showing a few branches down and [HASHTAG]#hurricanematthew[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#Neverforget[/HASHTAG] tags etc.
I find it in poor taste when over 800 people, adults and children, are dead in Haiti as a result of this Hurricane. I understand people are relieved and I guess that humour is always going to be a way of expressing that, but people should remain extremely thankful that their friends and families are safe and well right now.
You were all very, very lucky this time.

I'm glad that all of you guys are personally safe and from a slightly selfish point of view, that Florida is generally ok in anticipation of my visit in 11 days. However, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'jokes' on twitter showing a few branches down and [HASHTAG]#hurricanematthew[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#Neverforget[/HASHTAG] tags etc.
I find it in poor taste when over 800 people, adults and children, are dead in Haiti as a result of this Hurricane. I understand people are relieved and I guess that humour is always going to be a way of expressing that, but people should remain extremely thankful that their friends and families are safe and well right now.
You were all very, very lucky this time.
I understand where you're coming from, but I view this more at poking fun at the news media who typically over exaggerates these things than making light of the storm. If you're looking at the storm as a whole yes it was a very deadly, serious storm. If you look at it from a local central Florida perspective it was never even projected to have a big impact here unless it shifted much further inland. All these closures, curfew etc. were put in place to keep everyone safe had that happened. Nevertheless many in the media capitalize on this and go around looking for every little flooded pond or small damage they can find.

^ Yeah, this morning one channel in SC is focusing on an awning that is supposedly doing something unstable but you can't even see it on the screen. Cable news is often "This is a horrid dangerous situation. Can we run the footage of the child ['s head being chopped off] once again?".

I understand where you're coming from, but I view this more at poking fun at the news media who typically over exaggerates these things than making light of the storm. If you're looking at the storm as a whole yes it was a very deadly, serious storm. If you look at it from a local central Florida perspective it was never even projected to have a big impact here unless it shifted much further inland. All these closures, curfew etc. were put in place to keep everyone safe had that happened. Nevertheless many in the media capitalize on this and go around looking for every little flooded pond or small damage they can find.

Outside of Fox News (gag reflex) saying "you will die" the news media was very realistic and honest regarding this storm. It cannot be said more how lucky central Orlando was the storm went farther north, north east.

Outside of Fox News (gag reflex) saying "you will die" the news media was very realistic and honest regarding this storm. It cannot be said more how lucky central Orlando was the storm went farther north, north east.

Agreed

And about "big impact"... this was the forecasted impact before it wobbled away East a couple times before hitting.

IMG_7867.JPG

Well in fairness I don't watch televised news at all. I rely solely on the NHC updates for my information. I do see things shared on social media and I did see many accounts of local media focusing in on minor details making a much bigger deal about them. I would imagine that the major media outlets probably focused their attention on or near the coast where this storm truly was a big deal. Yes, we are very lucky the storm could have just as easily shifted west.