Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 521 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth Kubersky @Skubersky (Touring Plans) stated that the animatronic dinos are still in pretty bad shape even after the refurb. I'm wondering if that's a signal that they will go through with a shutdown of JPRA at the end of this summer (it was originally supposed to be last summer) for a Hollywood type complete redo, or a similar though less radical redo. No need to do a full refurb of the dinos if they're coming down in 6 months.

Last edited:
As I said in my last update, the success of Hollywood’s re-do may have the defining decision in whether or not Orlando’s River Adventure gets the Jurassic World makeover. They very much do not want to repeat the mistake of Fast and Furious, and will be making this decision based on guest reaction.

Hopefully, even without our own ride conversion, we still get the budget for some updated animatronics and effects though.

It is about time for a refresh anyways. But they may be holding off on major aspects until they know for sure which direction they'll go.

Reactions: therock
Seth Kubersky @Skubersky (Touring Plans) stated that the animatronic dinos are still in pretty bad shape even after the refurb. I'm wondering if that's a signal that they will go through with a shutdown of JPRA at the end of this summer (it was originally supposed to be last summer) for a Hollywood type complete redo, or a similar though less radical redo. No need to do a full refurb of the dinos if they're coming down in 6 months.

I really hope they don't let its condition deteriorate as much as they allowed the Hollywood version to in its final weeks. It was awful to see the ride operating with like half of the animatronics broken or missing.

I really hope they don't let its condition deteriorate as much as they allowed the Hollywood version to in its final weeks. It was awful to see the ride operating with like half of the animatronics broken or missing.

It's an odd situation. There's no point in fixing the AAs if they expect to replace them in a few months if a redo happens but if it doesn't happen, I don't doubt that they will return them to their former glory.

A very small crowd comes specifically for coasters. For new attractions/lands, big crowds, but coasters just for the sake of "new coaster", "first", "longest", "tallest", "fastest", etc, it's really just a small crowd that plans on a visit just for that coaster. It might help influence an overall decision of going to a park or not, but only the die hard enthusiasts plan a trip based solely on one coaster.
If only a small crowd comes for coasters, why are 5 opening in Orlando (Plus two at BGT) over the next 2 years with Slinky Dog having just opened last year? Orlando is not a market where coaster enthusiasts are likely to travel to. However, Disney and Universal are building a lot of them right now because they are fun. People almost always come off a coaster with a smile on their face.

If only a small crowd comes for coasters, why are 5 opening in Orlando (Plus two at BGT) over the next 2 years with Slinky Dog having just opened last year? Orlando is ot a market where coaster enthusiasts are likely to travel to. However, Disney and Universal are building a lot of them right now because they are fun. People almost always come off a coaster with a smile on their face.

Thank you! I have no idea where this whole “theme park visitors don’t like coasters” stems from. It’s a personal bias that they are presenting as fact. In general roller coasters are the most popular rides at the park.

I was definitely disappointed that Dragon challenge closed, but with Potter and Jurassic coasters taking their place, I’m very excited at what’s to come for IOA.

If only a small crowd comes for coasters, why are 5 opening in Orlando (Plus two at BGT) over the next 2 years with Slinky Dog having just opened last year? Orlando is not a market where coaster enthusiasts are likely to travel to. However, Disney and Universal are building a lot of them right now because they are fun. People almost always come off a coaster with a smile on their face.
They love them, but MOST people do not make a special trip for a coaster. They add up to a great park experience, but most guests don't go out of their way for a coaster. Look at parks like Holiday World. The Voyage is supposed to be one of the best coasters in the world, but 99% of the public who are not local to Indiana would never go there just because it has a great coaster. Enthusiasts will, but most people would never bother unless they happened to be there for some other reason.

My point was for destination parks like Disney and Universal any new attraction will continue to draw guests and boost attendance. It doesn't have to be a coaster, but coasters do help draw certain demographics in. Minivan driving mom who does most of the trip planning for families isn't particularly swayed by "they just got a new roller coaster", but her kids are and that helps make decisions, but mom would probably still book the trip even if the park is just running a new sauerkraut festival. It's teens/young adults/coaster enthusiast who drive the "ZOMG it's a new launched wooden coaster that's the tallestfastestloopiest in the world!!!" attendance, but for Disney and Universal that is not the bread and butter of their crowds. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are following the Six Flags/Cedar Fair model of drive attendance with locals and teens with new thrill rides.

I mean, they’ve always been in “bad shape”, because they’re just not that great of AAs.

That being said, they were in the best shape I’d seen them in in a long time when I was there in October. I’ll check them out for myself this weekend

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I mean, they’ve always been in “bad shape”, because they’re just not that great of AAs.

That being said, they were in the best shape I’d seen them in in a long time when I was there in October. I’ll check them out for myself this weekend
Generally when I've been there each May, they're in pretty decent shape since they were usually reskinned during their traditional Jan. refurb shutdown. At the end of their cycle, not so good. So, since this is right after a refurb, it seems there may be something significant to Seth saying that, since he sees them every year after the refurb.

When I was there in September, the first AA you see looked like it was snapped in half.

Reactions: Journey_On
Thank you! I have no idea where this whole “theme park visitors don’t like coasters” stems from. It’s a personal bias that they are presenting as fact. In general roller coasters are the most popular rides at the park.

I was definitely disappointed that Dragon challenge closed, but with Potter and Jurassic coasters taking their place, I’m very excited at what’s to come for IOA.
Disney uber fans don't like coasters...Therefore, nobody does

Status
Not open for further replies.