Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 142 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that so many is one. And people don't care for peaceful exhibits, case and point being Trike Encounter's failure. Robot Dinosaurs are boring unless they're trying to eat you.

I disagree, if it's done well. Dinosaurs are awesome. If I can suspend disbelief long enough to believe there is a living, breathing dinosaur in front of me, that is awesome. That is enough. Jurassic Park is my favorite movie for much more than the action sequences. Dinosaurs in a theme park? Yes please. Also, 0:33.

[video=youtube;Loq6yfZ8iQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loq6yfZ8iQc[/video]

I disagree, if it's done well. Dinosaurs are awesome. If I can suspend disbelief long enough to believe there is a living, breathing dinosaur in front of me, that is awesome. That is enough. Jurassic Park is my favorite movie for much more than the action sequences. Dinosaurs in a theme park? Yes please. Also, 0:33.

I hope you could tell that the end of my post was pretty snarky and sarcastic. I'm sorry, but you're in the minority. The GP has already spoken, and they wanted no part of it. Trikes were done very well, but it couldn't sustain the popularity of a traditional attraction.

I hope you could tell that the end of my post was pretty snarky and sarcastic. I'm sorry, but you're in the minority. The GP has already spoken, and they wanted no part of it. Trikes were done very well, but it couldn't sustain the popularity of a traditional attraction.

I couldn't, but I'll take your word for it. I think we're both reading each other's posts wrong.

My favorite part of Transformers is when Sam goes to the lake and makes fun of the jocks...doesnt mean they should make a ride about it. Films rely on lots of things, and are always upward of an hour and a half. A theme park attraction relies entirely on action and is in the ballpark of 2-4 minutes. Sure, dinosaurs are cool but thats why Dinosaur World exists...the "attractive" part of an "attract"ion is the prospect that things are happening TO you, that couldnt happen anywhere else.

Even if something akin to the Trike Encounter was a good idea, how would Universal market it? By telling people to come see an all-new, calm, relaxing dinosaur next door to the ride where they try to eat you and you drop down 80-feet? :lol:

My favorite part of Transformers is when Sam goes to the lake and makes fun of the jocks...doesnt mean they should make a ride about it. Films rely on lots of things, and are always upward of an hour and a half. A theme park attraction relies entirely on action and is in the ballpark of 2-4 minutes. Sure, dinosaurs are cool but thats why Dinosaur World exists...the "attractive" part of an "attract"ion is the prospect that things are happening TO you, that couldnt happen anywhere else.

Even if something akin to the Trike Encounter was a good idea, how would Universal market it? By telling people to come see an all-new, calm, relaxing dinosaur next door to the ride where they try to eat you and you drop down 80-feet? :lol:

Mmmm, I don't follow your logic at all.

I think we're on the same page somewhat. We both agree you can't have too many disaster rides. But cross-promote JPRA with Jurassic World? Not without at least some rebranding/enhancements, and I don't know about even then.

These new family-friendly disaster-free rides are going to breathe new life into JP. The (possible) success of the movie will drive them to the area. Universal has to go after families and children. They already have a pretty firm grasp on the teenagers and young adults. Literally everything they're building or even planning right now is geared towards families or children. I'm telling you, disaster-free.

I know Trike didn't work, but you're isolating the wrong variable. People like shows. People like seeing things they've never seen before. Look at Ollivander's. Are you in mortal peril in Ollivander's? Look how many shows Disney has. Passive experiences are fine, as long as their second-tier. And we're talking about, like, C-tickets. Little to no advertisement anyway.

Kids love dinosaurs, and not just the kind that want to kill them.

EDIT: Okay, I think I see where people are misreading what I said. I am not defending Trike. I am saying that animatronic dinosaurs have value unto themselves, and can be an attraction (and I mean something guests are attracted to, not a standalone theme park attraction) but not that the concept of Trike was good.

Last edited:

I think we're on the same page somewhat. We both agree you can't have too many disaster rides. But cross-promote JPRA with Jurassic World? Not without at least some rebranding/enhancements, and I don't know about even then.

These new family-friendly disaster-free rides are going to breathe new life into JP. The (possible) success of the movie will drive them to the area. Universal has to go after families and children. They already have a pretty firm grasp on the teenagers and young adults. Literally everything they're building or even planning right now is geared towards families or children. I'm telling you, disaster-free.

I know Trike didn't work, but you're isolating the wrong variable. People like shows. People like seeing things they've never seen before. Look at Ollivander's. Are you in mortal peril in Ollivander's? Look how many shows Disney has. Passive experiences are fine, as long as their second-tier. And we're talking about, like, C-tickets. Little to no advertisement anyway.

EDIT: Okay, I think I see where people are misreading what I said. I am not defending Trike. I am saying that animatronic dinosaurs have value unto themselves, and can be an attraction (and I mean something guests are attracted to, not a standalone theme park attraction) but not that the concept of Trike was good.

Ok, youre right that I think we are on much different pages here :lol:.

From what I understand, people want a big Jurassic Park expansion (bigger than what we've been told even though nothing has even been revealed in full detail yet). This is being justified with te release of Jurassic World. What IM saying is that:
1.) More dinosaur rides are repetitive
2.) More dinosaur rides are difficult to market when JPRA is already so well-established. It would be easier for Universal to just use momentum from the movie to promote what they already have.
3.) If you put in a calming dinosaur exhibit, you said yourself jmercer that it would be a C-ticket with no advertising pull.

...which brings us full-circle to the whole Jurassic World cross-promotion idea...it just doesnt really make sense. At the end of the day, IOA needs more family rides and they can fit one in JP, its not really the other way around IMO.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

You are talking about the slow boat ride part of the current JP ride, it's exactly that.
They also have the visitors centre downstairs with exhibits/show quality.
I think we are better of with a huge ape on a dino infested island (literally). Maybe mr. Spielberg adds a nod to the app in his next JW movie.
And please don't try to push Uni into Disney territory. It's a different company with a different vision who will talk differently to kids. That diversity is what makes Uni cool.

You are talking about the slow boat ride part of the current JP ride, it's exactly that.
They also have the visitors centre downstairs with exhibits/show quality.
I think we are better of with a huge ape on a dino infested island (literally). Maybe mr. Spielberg adds a nod to the app in his next JW movie.
And please don't try to push Uni into Disney territory. It's a different company with a different vision who will talk differently to kids. That diversity is what makes Uni cool.

That's true. I love the concept of JP in the park, and the area is great. Hoping for top notch themeing. But none of the attractions in the area I love are for me. So I am disappointed that the expansion is furthering that. (I hate that I got to get wet to see all the dinos :rofl:)

It would be great if the flyers went all around the park, and we had all these other crazy rides. It is just not realistic.

Ok, youre right that I think we are on much different pages here :lol:.

From what I understand, people want a big Jurassic Park expansion (bigger than what we've been told even though nothing has even been revealed in full detail yet). This is being justified with te release of Jurassic World. What IM saying is that:
1.) More dinosaur rides are repetitive
2.) More dinosaur rides are difficult to market when JPRA is already so well-established. It would be easier for Universal to just use momentum from the movie to promote what they already have.
3.) If you put in a calming dinosaur exhibit, you said yourself jmercer that it would be a C-ticket with no advertising pull.

...which brings us full-circle to the whole Jurassic World cross-promotion idea...it just doesnt really make sense. At the end of the day, IOA needs more family rides and they can fit one in JP, its not really the other way around IMO.

Alright, I can meet you halfway there. I guess I misunderstood. I don't think the Kong real estate should be used for JP. JP should revitalize the land they already have.

I will also partially agree with you that dinosaur rides can be repetitive. That is far and away the number one reason the Jeep Safari was never built. It was essentially JPRA on Wheels. The key is for each attraction to target one aspect of the movies in a very engaging way. JPRA addresses the danger and suspense of the movies in an extremely engaging way. Chalk that up as a success. Camp Jurassic addresses the adventure of the movie in a moderately engaging way (something a concept like the family coaster can fix). Discovery Center addresses the education and discovery aspect of the movies in only a slightly engaging way (something a concept like the Mr. DNA ride can fix).

When that is done, and yes, I believe they would still be C-tickets, albeit well-themed and beautiful C-tickets, you market the whole island again. You rebrand it. The attractions themselves would have no advertising pull, but if you market a refreshed and engaging Jurassic Park/World island, that could work.

What if they change out the entry arches to ones that look like the one in the new film that say Jurassic World and the carousel centerpiece and wooden coaster wrap around backdrop are direct lifts from what will be seen in at least 2 scenes in the new film (one where happy families are out for a day in "Jurassic World" in the daytime and one at night after all **** breaks loose)?

Interesting idea..

Last edited:
Saw the games for the first time this weekend. They really didn't bother me at all. Not sure why everyone was acting like Jurassic Park was some kind of sacred ground that's also had time share kiosks/hair braiding, etc. for years. The games are at least appropriately themed. I played the dinosaur egg game and it was cheesy but really cool. The prizes sucked though for $5. haha They should all be dinosaur related.

So, I guess we are essentially getting something like the 'Boneshaker'?

tT9wvhZ.jpg

9ovDnW4.jpg

Too bad the new coaster is wooden, otherwise we could essentially get the Boneshaker, haha. I would have rather still had a coaster themed as something else, akin to the Amber Mine. Its going to be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Saw the games for the first time this weekend. They really didn't bother me at all. Not sure why everyone was acting like Jurassic Park was some kind of sacred ground that's also had time share kiosks/hair braiding, etc. for years. The games are at least appropriately themed. I played the dinosaur egg game and it was cheesy but really cool. The prizes sucked though for $5. haha They should all be dinosaur related.

I wonder if the prizes will be better themed once the new film is out. As of now there is virtually no official 'Jurassic' merch.

Last edited:
The merch for JP is such a tough arrangement. John Williams alone has probably made a few million off from his tunes being used Universal's parks. Goodness knows who (of the many) get a cut off the JP merch.

The merch for JP is such a tough arrangement. John Williams alone has probably made a few million off from his tunes being used Universal's parks. Goodness knows who (of the many) get a cut off the JP merch.

Well, from my understanding no royalties are owed to the actors if their likeness/name are not used on the merch.. So doing Dinosaur toys/plushies/etc shouldn't be too difficult of an endeavor. That said, from my understanding Hasbro owns the master license, so until they start making new items pickings will be slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.