King Kong Speculation Thread | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

King Kong Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E.T. and Animal Actors would probably be closed from say... January to March for some upgrades/refurbs along with a replacement for KidZone Pizza. But the rest could be visible to some degree... from E.T. you should be able to get peeks at what's over the walls.

Kong and KidZone will be the perfect 2-3 punch to Diagon's 1 :p
It definitely would, I can see a tiny refurb but how much do you want to get fans would scream "THEYRE TAKING DOWN ET!!!!" If they did that :rofl: I also don't know about the ET extended queue for peeks, uni would probably work wall that crap but hey you never know

Kong is the big question - is it a summer addition or a fall addition? Because either could work. Summer would be prime territory for premiering a world class attraction while Fall would give that corner of the park something that doesn't get you wet. I could see July since it would give them a little over a year to finish... it's achievable when you consider Diagon Alley really got started in the fall of 2012 - less than two years for the main construction. Prep work looks to be close to finished for Kong so construction could start by the end of the month.
It's been a good while since Universal opened a major attraction outside of the summer season.

It definitely would, I can see a tiny refurb but how much do you want to get fans would scream "THEYRE TAKING DOWN ET!!!!" If they did that :rofl: I also don't know about the ET extended queue for peeks, uni would probably work wall that crap but hey you never know

It's only two or three months.. E.T. would get a hyped send off if he were actually going away for good. Murica might be mad though even for that period :lol: but E.T. needs a new facade and AAs if the new area is supposed to have Potter level theming. A gray soundstage don't cut it these days :p

- - - Updated - - -

It's been a good while since Universal opened a major attraction outside of the summer season.

I'd agree but this could take longer than Transformers. Hoping for summer though!

It's only two or three months.. E.T. would get a hyped send off if he were actually going away for good. Murica might be mad though even for that period :lol: but E.T. needs a new facade and AAs if the new area is supposed to have Potter level theming. A gray soundstage don't cut it these days :p

It doesn't, we could possibly get a better facade who knows?!? Even something as simple as despicable me's facade would be nice. I think the AAs are all good besides that pink chick orbdon, she's disgusting. But if this ride ever gets torn down I'd probably go to the final day and cry my ass off....you think I'm kidding

It doesn't, we could possibly get a better facade who knows?!? Even something as simple as despicable me's facade would be nice. I think the AAs are all good besides that pink chick orbdon, she's disgusting. But if this ride ever gets torn down I'd probably go to the final day and cry my ass off....you think I'm kidding

I'd say the police officers are a bit.. static :lol: the Elliot's house for the entrance idea is perfect for a new facade. I'd take Hollywood's DM facade any day for E.T.!! And E.T. is a pretty cheap and reliable ride to run so I'd say it'll be all right :) there's enough room with the mystery plot and bulldozed remains of KidZone to add whatever dark ride concepts

But this should really be in KidZone discussion

I didnt see this anywhere. Will there be any Kong Related food or snacks? Not a restaurant but maybe a food cart ?
Food stand:
18b69598-5fa4-4b79-ae42-19ab3b02f50b_zps20f04dd6.png

Meet & Greet:
11252717-0235-467b-a5ec-a329e66af0f9_zpsbd0ae189.png

Reactions: natespf
I have a question, why does everyone think that the ride mechanics themselves will take so long to build? I mean, we all point to Transformers and say, "They did that in a year, but they could never do Kong in a year because it is new technology" but I do not see how it is new tech. It seems like Kong at USH mixed with AA's and last I knew, Uni already does both. I do not see how blending these two established techs could take that long. It's not like this is Gringott's where they are blending two entirely different systems into one. I don't even think they had to patent some new ride design to make this, they are just adapting what they already have.
If anything, the only thing I could see holding this back is the facade building given that it is going to need to be a lot more detailed than Transformers is. Delays due to that, I understand.

I have a question, why does everyone think that the ride mechanics themselves will take so long to build? I mean, we all point to Transformers and say, "They did that in a year, but they could never do Kong in a year because it is new technology" but I do not see how it is new tech. It seems like Kong at USH mixed with AA's and last I knew, Uni already does both. I do not see how blending these two established techs could take that long. It's not like this is Gringott's where they are blending two entirely different systems into one. I don't even think they had to patent some new ride design to make this, they are just adapting what they already have.
If anything, the only thing I could see holding this back is the facade building given that it is going to need to be a lot more detailed than Transformers is. Delays due to that, I understand.
I never thought about that, awesome points!!!

Its not as simple as "we've done 3-D, we've done animatronics, we've done this ride system, lets get this thing open in 6 months".

First of all, you need to understand that Transformers is also a second-generation use of Spiderman tech, and yet the first iteration of the ride in Hollywood and Singapore took longer to build than a year. This is because tech development isnt the only thing that takes time in designing a ride. You have to work out a layout, decide what goes where, and make sure everything synchs up. With Transformers, the entire layout of the ride, evacuation plan, wiring, lighting, etc. had all been figured out previously, and the timing of all the movements and effects had already been programmed. That saved a lotttt of time when building the Orlando Transformers, among other things.

Secondly, if theyre going to do Kong right, its got to be themed well. I dont know about you but I dont care to see a big gray box in the middle of Jurassic Park, even though thats pretty much what we got with Transformers. To do this ride correctly, it needs to be sureounded by foliage, have a well-designed showbuilding, and well-developed surrounding architectural elements to make it a true mini-land separated from Jurassic Park. As we saw with Diagon, the details can sometimes be the most time-consuming aspect of a project. I mean look how long it took for all the London facades to go from
big gray boxes to ready-for-opening.

Just because the tech is there doesnt mean the ride will be a breeze. Even in regional amusement parks, an original roller coaster will take longer to build and develop than a clone, even if theyre the same ride type.

Its not as simple as "we've done 3-D, we've done animatronics, we've done this ride system, lets get this thing open in 6 months".

First of all, you need to understand that Transformers is also a second-generation use of Spiderman tech, and yet the first iteration of the ride in Hollywood and Singapore took longer to build than a year. This is because tech development isnt the only thing that takes time in designing a ride. You have to work out a layout, decide what goes where, and make sure everything synchs up. With Transformers, the entire layout of the ride, evacuation plan, wiring, lighting, etc. had all been figured out previously, and the timing of all the movements and effects had already been programmed. That saved a lotttt of time when building the Orlando Transformers, among other things.

Secondly, if theyre going to do Kong right, its got to be themed well. I dont know about you but I dont care to see a big gray box in the middle of Jurassic Park, even though thats pretty much what we got with Transformers. To do this ride correctly, it needs to be sureounded by foliage, have a well-designed showbuilding, and well-developed surrounding architectural elements to make it a true mini-land separated from Jurassic Park. As we saw with Diagon, the details can sometimes be the most time-consuming aspect of a project. I mean look how long it took for all the London facades to go from
big gray boxes to ready-for-opening.

Just because the tech is there doesnt mean the ride will be a breeze. Even in regional amusement parks, an original roller coaster will take longer to build and develop than a clone, even if theyre the same ride type.

As I said, I understand the themeing and I do want them to take time on that, becuase it has to look great.
I would imagine that since they have filed permits and we have some knowledge of a basic layout, that they would already have a fair amount of those designs done already but I could be wrong on that score.
But it seems like they have the implementation of the tech figured out already, so I do not understand why people are saying THAT is what is going to hold them back. Even though this is a whole new ride built from scratch, they know there way around the tech, the probably already have the majority of the planning stages done, and now it seems to be just a matter of building the bad boy and seeing what happens.
And even given that, I do not expect the ride to be open in 6 months. At the same time, people who are now forecasting Late 2015/ Early 2016 seem like they are a bit extreme to me.
At the end of the day I guess I am trying to say that I have faith that if they want this opened by Summer of next year, they can have it open by then.

As I said, I understand the themeing and I do want them to take time on that, becuase it has to look great.
I would imagine that since they have filed permits and we have some knowledge of a basic layout, that they would already have a fair amount of those designs done already but I could be wrong on that score.
But it seems like they have the implementation of the tech figured out already, so I do not understand why people are saying THAT is what is going to hold them back. Even though this is a whole new ride built from scratch, they know there way around the tech, the probably already have the majority of the planning stages done, and now it seems to be just a matter of building the bad boy and seeing what happens.
And even given that, I do not expect the ride to be open in 6 months. At the same time, people who are now forecasting Late 2015/ Early 2016 seem like they are a bit extreme to me.
At the end of the day I guess I am trying to say that I have faith that if they want this opened by Summer of next year, they can have it open by then.

Its not necessarily technology that will hold them back...like I said, Dueling Dragons takes longer to build than a Batman The Ride clone even though they have the same tech. Its all the design work, figuring out what goes where and when effects are supposed to go off that will take time. Lets not forget, too, that its already mid-June and no vertical construction has started...doesnt that already put them behind Transformers anyway?

Its not necessarily technology that will hold them back...like I said, Dueling Dragons takes longer to build than a Batman The Ride clone even though they have the same tech. Its all the design work, figuring out what goes where and when effects are supposed to go off that will take time. Lets not forget, too, that its already mid-June and no vertical construction has started...doesnt that already put them behind Transformers anyway?

Yeah, it's the lack of vertical that gives me the most pause. I have a feeling they have a lot of the other stuff figured out already as we know they have been working on this for quite a while, but man just get going on that facade already!

Yeah, it's the lack of vertical that gives me the most pause. I have a feeling they have a lot of the other stuff figured out already as we know they have been working on this for quite a while, but man just get going on that facade already!

By the end of this month and beginning of July, we should start to see the beginnings of Kongstruction :kingkong: but
November/December might be a more reasonable date when you consider this is going to be more detailed than a Transformers clone. Plus the ride combines outdoor segments with indoor so they've got to figure out how to make for a seamless transition.

Plus, it would be perfect for when it's too cold to enjoy Popeye, Dudley and JPRA.

Transformers took less than a year because it was a carbon copy of 2 former transformer constructions. They knew where they had difficulty in before and managed not to do it again

Reactions: TylerDurden
Transformers took less than a year because it was a carbon copy of 2 former transformer constructions. They knew where they had difficulty in before and managed not to do it again

Transformers was also worked on 24/7, mostly, with a week break for Christmas (yeah, I remember that hell day of January 2, with non-stop trucks coming in and out of the park through 3 separate gates, sometimes all at the same time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.