Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

King Kong Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok that killed it let's get back on the ride I'm done. So do any of you know what the name will be for this ride? My bets are on "King Kong and the escape from skull island"

"Kong: The Beast of Skull Island"

My guess... "The Legend of Kong" could be a good one... since I'm suspecting the ride isn't set in the 1930s :lol:

King Kong: King Kong

LOL that got me. I think it depends in the story if it's set in the 30s or not. I hope it is because that whole "this island hasn't had any problems since and your going on a boring ol tour" has been such a cliche in the park world. But then again I don't know what's worse, that or having a tour guide acting like she's from the 30s :look:

Last edited:
LOL that got me. I think it depends in the story if it's set in the 30s or not. I hope it is because that whole "this island hasn't had any problems since and your going on a boring ol tour" has been such a cliche in the park world. But then again I don't know what's worse, that or having a tour guide acting like she's from the 30s :look:

The King of Kong - A Fistful of Spiders :p with Nicolas Cage narrating... and if it's the 30s, I don't know if there'd be a female tour guide :lol: yeah, a 30s setting would be a bit cheesy. Indiana Jones is the only one that can pull it off. I'd prefer a modern-day version where Kong hasn't been seen for decades. It would give us an actual reason for being crazy enough to go to an island inhabited by a 30 foot tall monster :kingkong:

Yeah but (spoilers for people living under a rock) kong dies...that could mean something. That is also a really good point about the female tour guides too. I just think if they go with the modern plot of "hasn't had any trouble for years" would be ridiculous. Put it this way, this island was first discovered 80 years ago yet nothing has happened until one tour makes all hell break loose. Universal has a lot of choices here and I hope they go with the 30s one. They haven't really done any period piece rides and I think this would be unique edition in that regard

Yeah but (spoilers for people living under a rock) kong dies...that could mean something. That is also a really good point about the female tour guides too. I just think if they go with the modern plot of "hasn't had any trouble for years" would be ridiculous. Put it this way, this island was first discovered 80 years ago yet nothing has happened until one tour makes all hell break loose. Universal has a lot of choices here and I hope they go with the 30s one. They haven't really done any period piece rides and I think this would be unique edition in that regard

I wouldn't mind a 30s setting as long as it doesn't take itself too seriously... Jungle Cruise and JAWS for example. Of course, the actual dark ride/360 part of the attraction shouldn't be played for laughs, but the beginning outdoor portion could be a little light-hearted. If it's going to be all-ages, a few cheesy jokes/quips at the beginning wouldn't hurt. Of course, the ride will be a great addition, regardless :lol:

Ehh, when universal tries to be funny it either comes off a cheesy or shoved down your throat. Horror make up aside I can't take anymore pop culture references, I rather have a serious ride for once. Kinda like Jaws but less cheesy. I feel like skull island is enough of an atmosphere to make a truly hair raising and suspenseful ride and if they pull it off right. If the car pulls up to a bug and the guide says "hey look it's Chloe Kardashian" then all immersion is lost. Uni...please don't let this happen

I wouldn't mind a 30s setting as long as it doesn't take itself too seriously... Jungle Cruise and JAWS for example. Of course, the actual dark ride/360 part of the attraction shouldn't be played for laughs, but the beginning outdoor portion could be a little light-hearted. If it's going to be all-ages, a few cheesy jokes/quips at the beginning wouldn't hurt. Of course, the ride will be a great addition, regardless :lol:
A bit of dark humor is always fun along with the ride being 'self aware' a bit...i.e. one time my skipper said "We should unload at that shore over there but it feels like we're on some kind of track..I really hate the puns and pop culture stuff though, I really want a ride that takes itself seriously but at the same time throws a couple of funny lines at you

Ehh, when universal tries to be funny it either comes off a cheesy or shoved down your throat. Horror make up aside I can't take anymore pop culture references, I rather have a serious ride for once. Kinda like Jaws but less cheesy. I feel like skull island is enough of an atmosphere to make a truly hair raising and suspenseful ride and if they pull it off right. If the car pulls up to a bug and the guide says "hey look it's Chloe Kardashian" then all immersion is lost. Uni...please don't let this happen

No, I meant more like puns, ironic humor, slight breaking of the fourth wall, self-awareness, maybe a little tongue in cheek delivery... no pop culture references :lol: and these days, immersion is the word of the day, so I'm guessing Universal won't make that mistake

- - - Updated - - -

A bit of dark humor is always fun along with the ride being 'self aware' a bit...i.e. one time my skipper said "We should unload at that shore over there but it feels like we're on some kind of track..I really hate the puns and pop culture stuff though, I really want a ride that takes itself seriously but at the same time throws a couple of funny lines at you

Agreed... and Kong is supposed to be a ride for everyone, so some humor would help dwindle down the scare factor.

Humor would help but I don't want it. Maybe some improv like they do in Poseidon would work but I think it would be more fun for the skipper to be serious. I want to feel like I'm in actual danger and if the script ruins that (no matter how incredible the effects are) then the ride will just be ok

I'd take my 3 year old brother on it, it's not haunted mansion bad. Just kind of gross and violent

I'd reserve that opinion until the ride actually opens :lol: I'm expecting the ride to visually be on par with Spidey, FJ, Mummy and MIB... just accessible to everyone. Personally, I'm expecting the giant insects to be state-of-the-art AAs and for the reveal of Kong to be epic. If the tour guide gets "eaten" half way through, it might be a good way to transition from something akin to Jungle Cruise to an Indiana Jones/DINOSAUR type experience. I'd say 5 years old and up is probably a better idea in the long run :p

And Haunted Mansion isn't scary aside from the stretching room pre-show... the rest is more absurd/surreal than scary.

I talked about the HM on the podcast once and it terrified me. But anyways I hope the tour guides get eaten. If they do then they should make them as annoying as possible so when kong bruitally murders them it will be all the more badass and satisfying. BTW bug AAs are a definite

Status
Not open for further replies.