King Kong Speculation Thread | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

King Kong Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A version of the Kong 360 3D ride system will be the finale, but it isn't the whole ride.

Oh snap confirmation!!!! Thanks Kubersky, I wonder how much of that footage will be used

- - - Updated - - -

I'm honestly not that fond of King Kong 360 at USH. If that's the main thrust of the ride, I'm really not that excited.

Well 360 is a tram segment and this is a full ride, I'd keep your chin up because it will probably blow us all away

as long as we get a Kong animatronic like the one they had for the old ride I will be happy. I missed going on the old ride and I don't think I can ever forgive myself.

as long as we get a Kong animatronic like the one they had for the old ride I will be happy. I missed going on the old ride and I don't think I can ever forgive myself.

SAME!!! Ughh doesn't it suck how everybody besides you has been on it and talks about it like it was the second coming of Christ? Thankfully there will be a kong AA in this new ride so we aren't too left out

SAME!!! Ughh doesn't it suck how everybody besides you has been on it and talks about it like it was the second coming of Christ? Thankfully there will be a kong AA in this new ride so we aren't too left out

I think universal is allergic to AAs.

It wasn't that good...fun little ride, Mummy is much better

...going to hide now

I'll hide along with you because I was going to post the same thing.

The detail was amazing, as was the queue, but I think Mummy's queue is slightly better and Mummy is by far a superior ride.
I agree with that, I love the mummy and I'll never pass it up on a trip. With gringotts next door I don't know if it'll look like hot garbage or not, but I like it

but will it be as big as the one they had for the old ride?

It wasn't that good...fun little ride, Mummy is much better

...going to hide now

I'll hide along with you because I was going to post the same thing.

The detail was amazing, as was the queue, but I think Mummy's queue is slightly better and Mummy is by far a superior ride.

I wouldn't mind a slow ride or anything like that, but seeing an animatronic that big with your own eyes must have been amazing....

but will it be as big as the one they had for the old ride?

I wouldn't mind a slow ride or anything like that, but seeing an animatronic that big with your own eyes must have been amazing....

I think it will? Might not be full body (possibly torso up) but I know there is gonna be one according to jungleskip and hate. Yeah those AAs must've been just mind blowing, kong, mr toads wild ride and 20K are my biggest regrets when it comes to closed attractions. I was born too late

I think it will? Might not be full body (possibly torso up) but I know there is gonna be one according to jungleskip and hate. Yeah those AAs must've been just mind blowing, kong, mr toads wild ride and 20K are my biggest regrets when it comes to closed attractions. I was born too late

I could have gone to see Kong but I kept putting it off and putting it off, same as with HHN, I missed all the IOA years because of thinking they always repeated the event with the same houses... I had no idea the event changed :'(

Well, you can still ride Toad in Disneyland. 20K was amazing in '71, not so much now. And the Kong AA was cool, but I believe that if Kongfrontation were still open, most people would be talking about how bad of an AA it is/was. Kong and 20K were very similar in the fact that the coolest part of the ride was the ride system and the theming. The Nautilus and the Tram were epic amusement park rides, but the plastic fish on strings and big robot monkey would have had to have been replaced by now.

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how people always remember things so much better than they actually were? I rode Kongfrontation, and while it was a nice ride, it wasn't anything that was amazing. Much like Jaws, it greatly depended on your speiler (sp?) how good your experience was. The same with Poseidon's Fury. I thoroughly enjoy the newer version, and while I never rode it, I've seen videos of the old version and I don't truly see any real difference in quality. As charming as it was to have humans guide you through the ride, the quality has gone way up by taking as much of the human element out of the ride as possible. Disaster, Poseidon's Fury and T2 are really the last remnants of rides that have humans guiding you through it.

I could have gone to see Kong but I kept putting it off and putting it off, same as with HHN, I missed all the IOA years because of thinking they always repeated the event with the same houses... I had no idea the event changed :'(
I missed a TON of amazing houses. Back when I was a kid I went a completely ignored everything scary just to go on the rides and I've regretted it ever since

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you can still ride Toad in Disneyland. 20K was amazing in '71, not so much now. And the Kong AA was cool, but I believe that if Kongfrontation were still open, most people would be talking about how bad of an AA it is/was. Kong and 20K were very similar in the fact that the coolest part of the ride was the ride system and the theming. The Nautilus and the Tram were epic amusement park rides, but the plastic fish on strings and big robot monkey would have had to have been replaced by now.

Well I always liked the idea of 20K, going underwater on the nautilus and going to Atlantis, my Dad always told me it was his favorite ride at Disney, shame I missed it and it's a complete shame that the only ride I can go on that substitutes it is Nemo. Yeah I feel like none of the rides I mentioned would work today without complaints of being dated. Sad I missed them but it's probably for the best I did

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't it funny how people always remember things so much better than they actually were? I rode Kongfrontation, and while it was a nice ride, it wasn't anything that was amazing. Much like Jaws, it greatly depended on your speiler (sp?) how good your experience was. The same with Poseidon's Fury. I thoroughly enjoy the newer version, and while I never rode it, I've seen videos of the old version and I don't truly see any real difference in quality. As charming as it was to have humans guide you through the ride, the quality has gone way up by taking as much of the human element out of the ride as possible. Disaster, Poseidon's Fury and T2 are really the last remnants of rides that have humans guiding you through it.

The old fury was just magic but would've been dated today. I totally agree with your point. People always complain that BTTF should have never left but if it was seriously around today people would be begging for it to go because of just how dated it would be. The projectors, pre show and the fact your traveling one year in the future. It would suck and be on the list of attractions to go along side shrek and twister

I dont really think Kong would seem dated today...for the same reason why Pirates of the Caribbean will never be dated. Even at its worst, Kongfrontation was one of the most immersive dark ride experiences ever, and one of those things where simply looking around was a pleasure. Im sure that through the years some of the effects would be updated with other subtle ones added to heighten the experience and bring it up to modern standards. And the drop feature was always cool and a lot of fun. Then of course, you add in the big monkey, who really wasnt advanced enough to ever get stale, and youve got a pretty awesome ride. I know that nostalgia can warp our perceptions of stuff but I truly think that Kong would have stood the test of time. There was just so much going on and so much to look at. Even if the shock and awe of seeing the Kong animatronic wore off in time, the rest of the ride experience was still stellar, and I think few rides at the resort today take you to another place in the same way Kong did.

Not to make you guys feel bad for not riding it :lol: Its replacement is still a great ride too.

Mr. Toads was a fun ride, but it wasn't state of the art or anything. It was mainly popular because it was mildly thrilling for younger riders.

20k Under the Sea looked much cooler then the actual ride itself. I remember the waits being crazy long due to the slow load/unload times. The ride itself didn't do much for me.

Kong was a classic dark ride. Seeing that giant AA never got old to me. It may not have been as timeless as Pirates or HM, but it was the closest UOR got to a world class dark ride at the time. Mummy is fun, but feels much more shallow to me.

Well wasn't kong just destined to to close due to the unrelaiabilty of it all? It must've been a PR nightmare due to the videos I'm seeing. I wonder how much it costs to run that ride in a day. I can see the settings and AAs still being impressive today with an update. It sucks I missed it but I was WAY too little to go on it at the time (born in the late 90s) probably would've left a mark.

I haven't been on a ton of rides now that I think about it.
-the majority of old school Epcot (don't care about most rides besides horizons)
-timekeeper (looked neat)
-Alfred Hitchcock (UGHHH big regret)
-ghostbusters (can do without)
-Hanna barbera (big regret here)
Hope I'm not making you guys feel old lol

Last edited:
Well wasn't kong just destined to to close due to the unrelaiabilty of it all? It must've been a PR nightmare due to the videos I'm seeing. I wonder how much it costs to run that ride in a day. I can see the settings and AAs still being impressive today with an update. It sucks I missed it but I was WAY too little to go on it at the time (born in the late 90s) probably would've left a mark.

I haven't been on a ton of rides now that I think about it.
-the majority of old school Epcot (don't care about most rides besides horizons)
-timekeeper (looked neat)
-Alfred Hitchcock (UGHHH big regret)
-ghostbusters (can do without)
-Hanna barbera (big regret here)
Hope I'm not making you guys feel old lol

Kong had maintenance and reliability problems since day one, as well as Jaws too. Some people have mentioned that the Kong show building had structural problems that needed to be addressed and that the shell of the building was actually supported by the ride, so that it needed a major overhaul no matter what.

I did want to bring up that AAs are much less of a niche market then they were almost 25 years ago, and there are many expert players in the field. Not only has technology advanced the parts to be better and more reliable, they are also cheaper than their inferior counterparts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.