Legoland Florida | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Legoland Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
wish more parks would work with the landscape. I know it is not always easy or called for, but that is still a big allure to that park as they stated when taking control of it.
People would freak if they started tearing down that enviroment.
The first Lego models have arrived at the park: http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...-fall-opening/
Just not my style, I would go for free just to take a look but...

Early Annual Passes are seeing a good response. From the Orlando Sentinel:
Even with the opening of Legoland Florida still almost a year away, annual pass sales for the park are exceeding expectations.

Legoland announced in October it would begin offering annual passes for $99 in advance of the park's opening this fall. The deal, initially valid through December 2010, has been extended until April 30.

Most of the sales are coming from Central Florida residents, but Legoland is seeing interest from North and South Florida as well. Legoland didn't provide specifics.

"When the team here said they were going to start a year ahead of the park opening, I was a little bit skeptical," said Nick Varney, chief executive officer of Merlin Entertainments Group, Legoland's owner. "I didn't think they'd be able to sell them this early, but they're proving me wrong."

LegoLand Florida sponsored this past weekend's Lakeland PigFest:

168435_127191024018027_120525621351234_165010_8362091_n.jpg

Now that we're a little bit more into the construction of this I'm wondering if you guys think if Legoland is offering enough to draw tourists away from Disney/Busch/Universal?

I'm undecided, but I'm also a little underwhelmed by the new additions. Aside from the Legoland brand itself I think they could use a little MORE Legoland and a lot less Cypress Gardens (I mean.. that park already failed how many times?)

I have never been to any of the Legoland parks so I'm also wondering how you think this one compares the other ones? Is it light on what Legoland can bring to the table or is it on par?

I don't think Legoland has the brand-power to draw people away from the other orlando parks, but i think it might shorten peoples times on other properties to include Legoland into there visit to florida.

i do however believe that after a few years when Legoland becomes more than just a park but a resort, it will then maybe draw people away from seaworld and disney, but not much.

Building Legoland, One Block at a Time

0105treemoval.jpg

Theme park construction schedule shortened by two years thanks to renovations and reuse of infrastructure from former Cypress Gardens park

Last year, an estimated 350 people representing specialty contractors flocked to a pre-bid meeting regarding construction of a 145-acre Legoland Florida theme park on the site of the former Cypress Gardens Adventure Park in Winter Haven, 45 miles from Orlando. The development, which will be the world's largest Legoland, is the only theme park under construction in Florida. The gaggle of contractors gathered was a sign of the nearly starved construction economy—tantamount to vultures circling.

An aggressive, 13-month schedule made a design-build delivery system a must, says Scott Stewart, project manager for Legoland. “As soon as something is designed, we go out to bid,” he adds. Design-builder PCL Construction Services, Orlando, mobilized on-site last September. The park, themed around the plastic building-block toy, is scheduled to open in October.

Renovation of roughly 25 wood-framed buildings and the reuse of utilities and other infrastructure saved about two years of construction time compared to the time it would have taken starting from scratch, says Jackie Wallace, a Legoland Florida spokeswoman.

The development, designed by Morris Architects, Orlando, will include more than 50 “rides, shows and attractions,” according to Legoland. Of the existing rides, only a Cypress Gardens Adventure Park wooden roller coaster and two junior coasters will stay.

There have been surprises as crews have started knocking things down, especially around utilities, says Bob Hopfenberg, director of business development for PCL. One of the biggest challenges is installing myriad utilities to serve Miniland USA, a section within Legoland that will have multiple large-scale animatronic scenes—such as a downtown New York City cityscape replete with pedestrians and cars—that incorporate nonstructural LEGO pieces. Crews also have abated mold and asbestos and gotten rid of termites in some of the old buildings.

The historic Cypress Gardens, landmarked in 2003 and owned by the state of Florida, contains more than 8,000 plants from over 90 nations. To make way for the buildings and rides, Valley Crest Landscaping, Orlando, is relocating, on-site, about 670 trees, including several old-growth oak trees.

Legoland’s owner, Merlin Entertainment Group, Poole, Dorset, U.K., would not reveal the cost of the development. The state of Florida, which most recently owned the property, estimates the investment at about $300 million.

0105toytown.jpg

TOY TOWN Giant, nonstructural LEGO pieces will adorn both new and renovated buildings at what is planned as the world’s largest Legoland theme park.

Source: http://southeast.construction.com/southeast_construction_projects/2011/0105_Legoland.asp

^^ I agree.. if the vanity of the park keeps it afloat long enough for it to become more of a resort area than it will have a decent chance. Hopefully locals will also get behind the park and jump on its low annual pass price. Aside from that, my main concern is that from what I've seen so far compared to other Legolands, they plan on half heartedly reusing the roller skater and junior suspended coasters. (look up POVs for the other Legoland's roller skater and you'll see that they can do MUCH better)

Parks along I-Drive can get away with stuff like this.. not parks 30-45 minutes off the beaten path. It's going to be very interesting to see how they try to get people down there or if they will just pray that the brand will be enough.

From Legoland Florida's Facebook:
We have a new eye in the sky! Stay tuned for photo updates of LEGO City from our newly-installed Construction Cam. LEGO City is one of ten zones in LEGOLAND Florida and will be home to Skipper School, Police & Fire Academy, The Big Test and Jr. Driving School -- just to name a few! The 150-acre family theme park is on track to open this October.

189379_133669193370210_120525621351234_199506_5373689_n.jpg

Last edited:
Shouldn't it be including Fall 2012? If it opens in the Fall of 2011 wouldn't an annual pass naturally include the opening dates? :inquisitive:

Nevermind, these are 2012 annual passes.

I think this park will do well with the locals, But here are some road blocks.
Way off the beaten path (nothing new about that)
Disney has a Lego store and also does Star Wars stuff at DHS (Legoland does that in California)
I see them changing this to a Seasonal park I don't think they will be open January and February and maybe not Sept and October
How many tourist fly in to go to Disney and rent cars? Most don't even leave the property to go to Universal.

I see Legoland working with Universal, Sea World and Busch on some kind of ticket to gain guest(Well maybe not Universal anymore)

And now How many people who don't have Children are going to visit this park more then once?