Legoland Florida | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Legoland Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You wouldn't agree that an attraction that is within 25 minutes away from the number one tourist destination in the world would do better than the same attraction that is Hours away from the number one tourist destination in the world? I'm not saying that the park will not be successful but where would you put it?

It may help but I don't see it being a factor. Legoland California seems to do very well with the distance. If the park was in Orlando, many people would skip it for Disney or Universal. Of course, some people would visit both or just Legoland but I don't see it as a big factor.

For someone staying at the WDW resort and wants to go to Legoland is just a little bit further than going to Universal or Seaworld. Legoland is just half way than going for instance to Busch Gardens Tampa.

Here is my 2 cents. People go to Disney and never leave the property to go to Universal. I am a big talker I ask people when I go to Disney have they been to IOA or Universal a lot of time the answer is nope. So will people leave Disney to go to Legoland? The park will do well it won't be huge I don't think I think it is going to be aimed at families and will do well that way. Busch does well because Tampa is a large city and gets a lot of local traffic and also it gets a number of convention and such traffic. It also has been around 50 years and has some Big name coasters.

I can understand were people think this park will fail it is in the middle of no were and there are lot of road and travel issues. I think Legoland will do fine I also would not be surprised to see it be a seasonal park to start with while it builds a base.

I've been off work for a few days, just getting around to taking some pics, but yep, the galaxy spin is indeed gone.

9326f22f.jpg

here's an old pic from Feb 27th when it was there so you can see before & after :)

SatFeb27184359AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality btw, I'm using my cell camera.

Otherwise it doesn't look like much going on over there other than a few trucks moving about.

Here's a question: realistically, how many rides do you think will be salvaged for use in Legoland?

Here's hoping Starliner gets saved. I could see that as a "Dragon" coaster for the park, like most of the other Legolands have.

Busch Gardens is out of Orlando, but it's doing very good (because it's better than Animal Kingdom, and people know it)...

I'm a thrill junkie, but even I know that's not true. Animal Kingdom is a fantastic, immersive, beautiful theme park with some of the cleanest (and freaking swank!) animal exhibits I've ever seen.

Busch Gardens is a mix between a small zoo and a Six Flags.

It's a matter of what you're looking for.

As for Legoland, I think it'll do well, solely because of the brand name. Disney World was once in the middle of nowhere, too, you know...

Last edited:
I've been off work for a few days, just getting around to taking some pics, but yep, the galaxy spin is indeed gone.

9326f22f.jpg

here's an old pic from Feb 27th when it was there so you can see before & after :)

SatFeb27184359AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality btw, I'm using my cell camera.

Otherwise it doesn't look like much going on over there other than a few trucks moving about.

Looks like that frogger (I forgot the name of it) was also being disassembled in your after shot...

I'm a thrill junkie, but even I know that's not true. Animal Kingdom is a fantastic, immersive, beautiful theme park with some of the cleanest (and freaking swank!) animal exhibits I've ever seen.

Busch Gardens is a mix between a small zoo and a Six Flags.

It's a matter of what you're looking for.

As for Legoland, I think it'll do well, solely because of the brand name. Disney World was once in the middle of nowhere, too, you know...

Well, consider one thing, EVERY TIME I went to Animal Kingdom, I could see very few animals (the safari is DEAD), and also a friend of mine that came here and saw the safari, was very very disappointed because we only saw one elephant in the whole safari!
And about the rides, I am not a coaster fan, but Animal Kingdom has only two rides E:E and Dinosaur, while Busch Gardens has a lot of different rides, and it's always adding stuff!!!
The last time Animal Kingdom added something was Finding Nemo: the musical some years ago!!!
So, that's why I like BG better.

Really looking forward to Legoland florida honestly our uk version adds a new land every year, one thing i would quite like ot know is i wonder if the jungle coaster (removed from uk going to florida) will be the first or second version:

1ST Version:

DSCF7113_350.jpg

2ND Version

Jungle5.jpg

Nice Doors,,,Busch Gardens is in Tampa which is a LARGE CITY (Baseball team, Football Team) they are a major Beach destination, Busch has also been a theme park for over 50 years ( I went there in 1967 before they had rides) It also has some of the best coasters in the South. It does not really compete with Animal Kingdom that much at all. Legoland will be tougher because it is off the beaten path. People won't drive from Orlando to Tampa and it is a straight shot down the interstate. But Legoland will find it's niche and do fine I think.

It is not going to kill BGT but I do think it can hurt them a tad. Let's think about it this way. You have a family that just spent their huge vacation at Disney, Universal and Sea World parks and they have another day to venture and do something else big than the big ones out of Orlando they did. Their demographic is family with tons of youngsters who are not that tall. Are they going to go to Legoland which is a huge brand and there is nothing else like it in FL....or are they going to go to another wildlife park after already going to essentially 2 and this last one having tons of huge coasters and very little else to offer but off the shelf carnival rides which many their children will not be tall enough to ride anyway. The real youngins will be cheering for Legoland which actually is closer anyway if you just hop onto 27 to Polk.

Like I said it is not going to really kill BGT in any way but it will take away that much more of an audience that would of just gone to Busch.

A good theory but BGT also now has Sesame place which will be a huge draw for Families. Also I am not sure how it will do with teens. I am not that familiar with what demographic Legoland will go after beside family. In all honestly Busch is not the best park for children it is similar to six flags that way. IMO

A good theory but BGT also now has Sesame place which will be a huge draw for Families. Also I am not sure how it will do with teens. I am not that familiar with what demographic Legoland will go after beside family. In all honestly Busch is not the best park for children it is similar to six flags that way. IMO

Sesame Safari has already fallen flat for the most part. It is a nice area for the tiny tykes to explore but boring for any child nearing ten. It only has one ride, and it is of course a coaster. And just another junior cocaster.

Legoland will likely win over Seasme Safari.

You said it yourself. Busch is a thrill park. So it will still get the college spring break type crowd and thrill seekers and will be fine. But they will take a punch with Legoland. Families will be spending their 'spare park day' at Legoland over Busch a lot of the time.

Also I am not saying definite but if one could judge by California's pricing than it will be a lot cheaper for a family to visit Legoland than it would to be Busch. Another driving point that may give them the lead.

Last edited:
Galaxy Spin went to Fun Spot.

I personaly think it wil be fine where it is. Cypress didn't have any real thing that would bring people there, only a few coasters, which there were much more at Busch Gardens; but now that it's going to be Lego, that will bring in kids. In addition to the Lego set sales...

Just a slight update on Legoland development. Still not much going on, but there is a little activity.

The "Stars and Stripes" jumper, seen here in an old photo:

DSC_0006-2.jpg

........ is now gone, once sitting on the empty cement slap on the left side of this photo:

CG1.jpg

Also, as you see in this photo from March, there was once a tube slide near the Starliner:

DSC_0019-3.jpg

Which is now being disassembled:

CG2.jpg

CG3.jpg

And a couple photos of evidence of general clearing out:

CG4.jpg

CG5.jpg

More to come as the transformation happens, stay tuned!

Thanks for the great update, Rewster! :rep:

Did you notice any other changes made to the area?

No other changes that I can notice. All signs still refer to Cypress Gardens, etc. I'm keeping my eyes peeled though, with the help of loribelle :)

Sounds good. Thanks again for the updates from both of you!

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't construction for Legoland supposed to begin this month? If so, it seems like they may be running a little behind with the demolition/clearing out part of the job.