Lower Lot Redesign | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People who visit HHN in Orlando, don't travel to Hollywood. Vice versa. It's fine for Universal to use the same concepts for both events the same year, that includes normal theme park stuff. Theme Parks clone attractions because they know there's a demand for it, look at what the Wizarding World did to attendance/sales/etc.

Back on topic, I hope the lower lot receives the major upgrades that the Upper lot received in terms of aesthetics. I would think a hub and spoke model will be used. A centered courtyard that branches out to each attraction/land.

FYI, unto you see a Uni branded hotel on-site, don't expect a new park.

People who visit HHN in Orlando, don't travel to Hollywood. Vice versa. Theme Parks clone attractions because they know there's a demand for it, look at what the Wizarding World did to attendance/sales/etc.

FYI, unto you see a Uni branded hotel on-site, don't expect a new park.
^thats not entirely true at all actually. I know quite a few people that visit both coasts. Its actually a common thing to actually want to go outside of the actual state you live in... and no, they don't clone things because there is a demand for it. They do it because its cheaper than creating something "new". And at least when Disney does it (or used to), the rides/attractions would actually be somewhat unique to each park in some form.

um.... "Universal Sheraton"... just sayin.. it counts.

There are certainly people who do visit both coasts (myself and my husband being one of them), but I do agree that we're a minority. In terms of the GP, as a whole, they really don't. They barely know what's at one park vs another across the country. Why? Because they're not as passionate about it, nor should they be. It's just something to do on a free day, nothing more, nothing less, not unlike seeing a movie or going to a ball game.

Universal's out of town visitors are primarily coming from nearby states, not across the coast. If I'm a family in Alabama, I'd vacation at Universal Orlando because it's closer and thereby cheaper, simple as that. Only we fanatics care, and we're a minority of their market. Vocal, but still a minority.

Cloning to me is not that big of a deal. Often there are subtle difference is the versions (Kong, FJ, Jurassic, Mummy), and for the rides that are identical, it just means I can skip them and spend more time on the rides that are unique.

um.... "Universal Sheraton"... just sayin.. it counts.

I will tell you why it doesn't count:

Both the Universal Hilton and Sheraton are not on Universal property. They are separate entities which are business neighbors for the studio on top of City of LA land. Universal cannot control anything to do with the hotels which currently stand today...in fact, these hotels were built to support the movie studio and not the theme park. If a theme park guest decides to use these hotels...great! But both hotels are no way related to Universal and finances are not involved with the Universal property. Note the recent request to upgrade the Universal Hilton with a new tower of rooms to support the over 90% occupancy rate they currently have! Universal is against the expansion of the Hilton because that is potential money for the theme park and a possible route which Comcast may be planning to take but are too involved with the theme park upgrades to focus on that right now...! (*breathing...long sentence).

All in all, the general public visits Los Angeles and they do not see borders or lines. However, business has barriers and cities want their cut...so boundaries are formed. Universal Studios Hollywood has a very tough situation because they have had this property for over 100 years and the growth was not expecting what this property is today.

Note - there are no theme park benefits for staying at any of the "nearby" hotels for Universal Studios Hollywood. If you called these hotels "on property"...technically, that is incorrect.

I understand the challenge Universal Studios Hollywood has. I also see that this park really wants to become what Orlando is today...the problem is the fact that decisions were made to not grow Universal Studios Hollywood at the same pace of Orlando before Comcast came into power. Harry Potter in Orlando proved there was big money in theme parks in 2010. The result is what we are seeing today.

USH needs to build a multi-day experience and then we should see a "theme park" hotel pop up somewhere on Universal City property.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that if Universal (or comcast) wanted it badly enough, they could easily buy both hotels that sit on their hill. They aren't exactly hard up for money. And again, the last thing this park needs to emulate is Orlando. The east coast is destroying what made it good one "expansion"/ride change at a time.

And if you don't want to count those two hotels as Universal branded, they should probably remove the "Universal" from their name. Because, again, they are on Universal's hill. Studio/Theme park... its all the same. There is no difference when it comes to this park.

But hey, if you all want Orlando 2.0... just eliminate the Studio all together. You'll still have those pesky neighbors and their issues with "noise". Which is why, this park, will never be like any of the others here on the west coast or elsewhere.

Reactions: SOCAL110
I agree that Universal Hollywood should always stay unique...and with its construction situation, it does. Universal has attempted to relocate and annex the current county line that runs through the Woody Woodpecker Parking Lot. Note that Citywalk is on the line of Universal property. Plus, the up-charged Front Gate parking is up-charged why??? Because the lot has taxes on it which go to the City of LA. Note the Disney reason why they moved the new hotel onto Downtown Disney property...because Disney owns that land outright and taxes to the city are minimal. Mickey and Friends parking structure only sees $1 per fiscal year to the city of Anaheim. Anaheim pushed Disney away from the new pedestrian bridge and parking lot on the east end of the property because the city wants more of the cut from Disney! Remember the no tax agreement for Disney ticket sales???

Why is the Saddle Ranch location separated but still considered "Citywalk"? Because the Universal owned property cuts right through the security screening area. It sucks, but these are things that have been grandfathered in since the mid 70's and land is mega-money in California. The game of Monopoly anyone?

I agree that Universal Hollywood should always stay unique...and with its construction situation, it does. Universal has attempted to relocate and annex the current county line that runs through the Woody Woodpecker Parking Lot. Note that Citywalk is on the line of Universal property. Plus, the up-charged Front Gate parking is up-charged why??? Because the lot has taxes on it which go to the City of LA. Note the Disney reason why they moved the new hotel onto Downtown Disney property...because Disney owns that land outright and taxes to the city are minimal. Mickey and Friends parking structure only sees $1 per fiscal year to the city of Anaheim. Anaheim pushed Disney away from the new pedestrian bridge and parking lot on the east end of the property because the city wants more of the cut from Disney! Remember the no tax agreement for Disney ticket sales???

Why is the Saddle Ranch location separated but still considered "Citywalk"? Because the Universal owned property cuts right through the security screening area. It sucks, but these are things that have been grandfathered in since the mid 70's and land is mega-money in California. The game of Monopoly anyone?

And that's why Universal will always lack the political capacity that Disney has.

Pretty sure that if Universal (or comcast) wanted it badly enough, they could easily buy both hotels that sit on their hill. They aren't exactly hard up for money. And again, the last thing this park needs to emulate is Orlando. The east coast is destroying what made it good one "expansion"/ride change at a time.

And if you don't want to count those two hotels as Universal branded, they should probably remove the "Universal" from their name. Because, again, they are on Universal's hill. Studio/Theme park... its all the same. There is no difference when it comes to this park.

But hey, if you all want Orlando 2.0... just eliminate the Studio all together. You'll still have those pesky neighbors and their issues with "noise". Which is why, this park, will never be like any of the others here on the west coast or elsewhere.

I think a saving grace that USH has that Orlando theme parks will NEVER have and thus make it always unique is the California topography.

The fact that USH is built on a mountain is just so freakin' awesome to me. That is something Orlando parks will never be able to do since the state of Florida is flat as a pancake.

Add to the mix the Studio Tour and real Hollywood production & you have a unique park like no other in the world. The Upper Lot Mission/Spanish/Art-Deco Architecture is rooted in he history and culture of California and just gives the park a beautiful aesthetic.

I'm with you 100% that I don't want the CA parks to be a clone of Orlando. WDW is a soulless corporate experience in comparison to quaint, charming Disneyland. Hopefully the DLR & USH can resist the Disney Worldification of the parks. But selectively cloning lands and attractions such as Wizarding World is okay in my book.

I think a saving grace that USH has that Orlando theme parks will NEVER have and thus make it always unique is the California topography.

The fact that USH is built on a mountain is just so freakin' awesome to me. That is something Orlando parks will never be able to do since the state of Florida is flat as a pancake.

Add to the mix the Studio Tour and real Hollywood production & you have a unique park like no other in the world. The Upper Lot Mission/Spanish/Art-Deco Architecture is rooted in he history and culture of California and just gives the park a beautiful aesthetic.

I'm with you 100% that I don't want the CA parks to be a clone of Orlando. WDW is a soulless corporate experience in comparison to quaint, charming Disneyland. Hopefully the DLR & USH can resist the Disney Worldification of the parks. But selectively cloning lands and attractions such as Wizarding World is okay in my book.

I agree as well. But to the uneducated public, they only see skin deep. Orlando is seen as superior. I like to look at it this way...Now the child (Orlando) is raising the parent (Hollywood). As long as Orlando management continues to step into Hollywood's domain, Hollywood will become more like Orlando. Comcast (the lawyer) only sees $$$

So we now officially know that Jurassic World is technically Phase 1 of the lower lot redesign. I am assuming Nintendo will be the finale (phase 3 or 4). Curious about what'll open between JW and SNW.

Reactions: chris.g
So we now officially know that Jurassic World is technically Phase 1 of the lower lot redesign. I am assuming Nintendo will be the finale (phase 3 or 4). Curious about what'll open between JW and SNW.
I doubt we will get an "in-between" attraction for the Lower Lot before SNW. Pretty sure SLoP will be the only attraction to fit that bill. Other than that, JPRA 2.0 and SNWO are the only ones I see us getting downstairs for a while.

I doubt we will get an "in-between" attraction for the Lower Lot before SNW. Pretty sure SLoP will be the only attraction to fit that bill. Other than that, JPRA 2.0 and SNWO are the only ones I see us getting downstairs for a while.
I actually disagree, as I think they'll have SS22-25/28 get something to fill the 2021 hole after Pets.

Atleast, that's what I'm willing to guess.

I actually disagree, as I think they'll have SS22-25/28 get something to fill the 2021 hole after Pets.

Atleast, that's what I'm willing to guess.
I hope you're right. I'm just becoming skeptical because USH has dialed it back several notches since Potter has opened. The best I see us getting is probably a clone of the Bourne show.

I hope you're right. I'm just becoming skeptical because USH has dialed it back several notches since Potter has opened. The best I see us getting is probably a clone of the Bourne show.

I do see what you are saying but I think we just feel they have dialled it back due to the lack of announcements since the 5 year transformation, plus it feels like plans have changed/are up in the air which has delayed things.

I just can't help but think they would not have demolished those soundstages unless something was planned as they could have left them standing and making them money. That space is way too big for 'just' a Bourne show (although I'd welcome that show) I really do hope it's used for something unexpected/interesting/unique.

Reactions: alias8703
I do see what you are saying but I think we just feel they have dialled it back due to the lack of announcements since the 5 year transformation, plus it feels like plans have changed/are up in the air which has delayed things.

I just can't help but think they would not have demolished those soundstages unless something was planned as they could have left them standing and making them money. That space is way too big for 'just' a Bourne show (although I'd welcome that show) I really do hope it's used for something unexpected/interesting/unique.
Look at stage 28. It’s been open for four years only to be most likely taken by office space, replacement queue, and restrooms.

Look at stage 28. It’s been open for four years only to be most likely taken by office space, replacement queue, and restrooms.

I actually know what’s going to go on ss28 & ss22/25 also almost every sound stage on the lower lot is going to go and the mummy is also leaving next year, no later then early 2020. Jurassic World is only the beginning to the massive beautiful change to come on the lower lot.

I actually know what’s going to go on ss28 & ss22/25 also almost every sound stage on the lower lot is going to go and the mummy is also leaving next year, no later then early 2020. Jurassic World is only the beginning to the massive beautiful change to come on the lower lot.
I really hope they use SS 22-25 for a ride.

Dude, I gotta say. Always love reading your posts. It's like an injection of hope straight to my brain. Lol

Would you say that SNW is the thing that you're most excited about on the lower lot?

I hope Super Nintendo World is being utilized in the area. Miyamoto and Universal promise us that L.A. is going to get a lot of Nintendo activity and a lot of room for more audio animatronics and practical effects. And good riddance for the Mummy though, it's about time we're gonna need a fully DK Mine Cart Coaster thing.

As much as I enjoy the Mummy, if we're getting DK Coaster than I'm happy we're getting a great replacement coaster.