Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Got 5 laps on it today, every row except the first and last. This is definitely a back row coaster, with an amazing amount of sustained airtime all over, but I think especially the back half of the train. I would say I spent well over half of the course with my butt floating out of the seat. My comparable coaster would be Diamondback (the only other B&M hyper I've ridden), but I think this has a bit more total airtime. I could ride this thing all day and be perfectly content. The one bad thing is that when running 3 trains you will be baking in the sun for a few minutes, but that's my only negative with the whole thing.

I'm completely sold!

Reactions: UNIrd
Got 5 laps on it today, every row except the first and last. This is definitely a back row coaster, with an amazing amount of sustained airtime all over, but I think especially the back half of the train. I would say I spent well over half of the course with my butt floating out of the seat. My comparable coaster would be Diamondback (the only other B&M hyper I've ridden), but I think this has a bit more total airtime. I could ride this thing all day and be perfectly content. The one bad thing is that when running 3 trains you will be baking in the sun for a few minutes, but that's my only negative with the whole thing.

Sounds awesome.
I love all the mod cons, thrills, spills and loops but i'll take an airtime machine any day of the week, can't wait to ride it myself.

13315458_10208475809806440_2020439333497268216_n.jpg

Reactions: anihilnation
Modified seating?

For the bigger people. We saw a lot of people not able to ride because the lapbar didn't click to the required spot. All the seats are same size, so there isn't a row for the bigger people.

As far as the ride goes:

Wonderful coaster! Lots of airtime, and the back row is a lot of fun. We rode it 5 times - 1 in front, 2 in 2nd row, and 2 in the back and had a blast each time. Definitely best coaster at SeaWorld, heard some say top 3-5 between Orlando/Tampa. The first bunny hill after the Hammerhead turn had a trim brake that hits pretty hard. Hopefully they can smooth that out over the course of the next few days before the official opening.

Tickets being handed out seemed to be for capacity purposes, and finding out numbers than actually limiting guests. The first set of Softs began about 11:15 and ended at 1:45pm and resumed around 3:15 for another hour before calling it a day.

The queue is a really big weak spot though. The themeing is nice and simply done but it's going to be brutal during the hotter months. You'll see in pictures later on what I'm talking about. I think the outside queue had a total of about 6 fans, and they weren't on, but the building itself didn't at all. You walk up 2 flights of stairs that offer little shade and no air whatsoever. A big step back IMO after Manta's queue was such a stellar set-up. Queue has a lot of switchbacks too, instead of a direct line to the "main" building queue area so it was kind of a PITA.

Video and photos will be coming soon.

Cool! Do you think there wil still be softs Monday? Also, you went multiple times? So you can keep on going to ask for tickets?

From what I've heard, they may do the ticket thing again tomorrow, and then the weekend may have it open most of the day.

For the tickets they just had a few employees at the ride entrance giving you a paper ticket, and then in the switchbacks under the station another one was collecting them. Pretty sure they had like 1k printed, and were just cycling them back and forth during the time it was open. They seemed to call the first round today off once it started building a line in the switchbacks under the station.

I think they are just trying to get past 1000 people per hour right now. Also @BriMan, I think they will probably add more fans outside and on the stairwell as softs progress. I don't see anything coming to the area underneath the station because the fans would just be blowing hot air at you. The issue with the switchbacks is an interesting one. You would think they would have the chains in a straight line to the entrance, so on slow days people can walk straight back to the station.

BUT... The park president at the AP Town Hall did say that the current line only holds about an hour. During the next 6 months (the only months they expect Mako to have a wait over about 1 hour), an extended queue will be in place inside the Nautilus Theater, so some AC will be a part of the queue at least in park.

I think they are just trying to get past 1000 people per hour right now. Also @BriMan, I think they will probably add more fans outside and on the stairwell as softs progress. I don't see anything coming to the area underneath the station because the fans would just be blowing hot air at you. The issue with the switchbacks is an interesting one. You would think they would have the chains in a straight line to the entrance, so on slow days people can walk straight back to the station.

BUT... The park president at the AP Town Hall did say that the current line only holds about an hour. During the next 6 months (the only months they expect Mako to have a wait over about 1 hour), an extended queue will be in place inside the Nautilus Theater, so some AC will be a part of the queue at least in park.

Won't that interfere with the Theater shows, or do they even use that venue anymore for regular shows?

Won't that interfere with the Theater shows, or do they even use that venue anymore for regular shows?
They only use it for the Christmas shows nowadays. They had concerts performing every weekend last summer. But "no," the theater hasn't hosted a regularly scheduled show for about two years I believe.

Alright got 5 rides in with @BriMan today. As he mentioned one ride in the front, 2 in row 2, and 2 in the last row. upon arrival to the park we made a beeline to Mako and found they were still handing out tickets to ride. We dropped our crap in the pay only lockers you find at Cedar Fair parks and joined the queue. Unfortunately this is where Mako falls flat.

Over the last several years queues at major attractions have become attractions in themselves. Here at Mako however you encounter the weakest queue in recent memory. It's nothing more than open area, covered walkway, spiel by Guy Harvey, stairs, and then station. The station itself is weak too which shocked me. I find the queue overall to be on point with that of Fury 325, Goliath, and Cheetah Hunt.

Then there is the whole we operate in Florida thing. I think I counted 6 fans in the outdoor section and then once you hit the shaded area it's still brutally hot. I don't ever want anyone to get ill or hurt but mark my words, if changes to the queue don't happen expect this area to be renamed heat stroke central. I know many may balk at me being as harsh about the queue as I am but given the Climate, current guest expectations, and the fact that SeaWorld has opened several attractions with fantastic AIR CONDITIONED queues I feel my criticism is relevant.

One final note on the queue / station before we discuss the ride experience. If your a larger person be prepared for the walk of shame. The ride operator requires 3 clicks before you get the green light to ride. Now while that's no different than other rides the restraints here go over your legs and pelvis where most others go over your shoulders or abdomen. This as a result leads to a open and free ride experience but at the cost of a very tight restraint. I witnessed at least one person take the walk of shame every single dispatch today. This is going to be a serious guest complaint this year and IMO it should be. For years parks have offered the big boy seat and IMO this is a huge miss on seaworlds part.

Anyways enough of the bad, lets shift gears and focus on the positives! The ride itself is butter smooth and extremely reridable. The first drop is fantastic but especially wicked in the back as it whips you over the top and pulls you down. Your out of your seat pretty much the whole way as you plummet to earth. Next up was a huge over banked turn, and after riding Fury 325 recently I had hopes these turns on Mako while slower would still offer a rush. Surprisingly however the over bank fails on delivering much force through out. Great views but meh is my verdict here. The first airtime hill however is probably the best hill on a coaster in central Florida with several seconds of airtime. It's seriously one of the best moments on a coaster you'll find in Florida.

Then there is the stall turn or hammerhead which is again meh especially after that airtime hill of euphoric pleasure. After the turn around its time for another airtime hill but problem here is the extremely forceful trims that knock out some serious momentum. Still a bit of airtime here but if those trims were off holy smokes you'd be in ejector airtime heaven. A couple more hills and you hit the mid course break run. After the break run you hit a few more hills with a pop or two of airtime and the rides only real good over banked turn while flying over the midway and then finally back into the station.

Overall SeaWorld has built a fantastic coaster and addition to their park and already stellar B&M line up. It's an extremely fun ride that many will ride again and again especially if a hyper coaster is new to you. With that being said if you've ridden Apollos Chariot, Goliath, Nitro, or Intimidator expect a similar ride. I highly recommend a visit to SeaWorld to check this out.

Wow great description especially on the first plummet pulling you down sounds awesome, I visualized it perfect! Big wtf about the restraints though like, wtf? Are these like fat fat people or what because 1 from each dispatch is kind of a lot. And I myself am a personal trainer and have big legs now I'm worried, and I'm supposed to go the on the 13th. Really gonna suck if I can't ride.

Edit: Lol they need test seats on the outside of the park