Mardi Gras 2012 | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2012

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was in it last week. You will wear a costume (possibly a hat too depending on how windy it is) so attaching it to clothing or anything like that won't work. If you are going to try and figure out a way to do it, make sure to try and hide it as they tell you no photos/recording on the float. Have fun though, it was a great experience for us last weekend!

they must not be doing a great job at that rule, as I saw like 3 people take photos between last week and this week now...:look:

they must not be doing a great job at that rule, as I saw like 3 people take photos between last week and this week now...:look:
I was thinking about it at one point. At the part where the DM building is, they tell you NOT to throw beads so as not to get over construction walls and the like. But I found it hard with getting it out and back in as the costume was so long. And the float attendant was standing right there so I didn't really wanna risk it...

Due to pictures being taken backstage they are now on the watch for pictures being taken and telling you not to before they take you backstage, this more strict policy began last night.

I went to the Kelly Clarkson show on Saturday and it was awesome. But I really have to commend Universal on how organized the event was and the amazing job they did with crowd control. The new FastPass system worked beautifully. I had no idea they were doing this and wouldn't have known if I hadn't met some gracious older Kelly Clarkson fan/guardian angel who told me about it.

Is this the first show they do this for or has this been in effect before?

I went to the Kelly Clarkson show on Saturday and it was awesome. But I really have to commend Universal on how organized the event was and the amazing job they did with crowd control. The new FastPass system worked beautifully. I had no idea they were doing this and wouldn't have known if I hadn't met some gracious older Kelly Clarkson fan/guardian angel who told me about it.

From what I understand, they had a similar system in place at last year's Mardi Gras for the Thirty Seconds to Mars concert.

Due to pictures being taken backstage they are now on the watch for pictures being taken and telling you not to before they take you backstage, this more strict policy began last night.
When I went the first weekend, they told us you could take pictures of the floats, but not of the TM's since they are backstage. That didn't necessarily stop people from doing so in certain photo-op situations, but that was the word we were given on the first weekend of the event.

--- Update ---

I thought crowd control wise, Uni did a flawless job in getting people controlling the situation and getting people out of the park VERY QUICKLY (opened main exit gate) after concert.

As far as how prepared they were for it, I found that multiple stands around the concert area had run out of both straws and ice about midway through the event. I got a powerade instead of what I was going to get (coke), but I found out quickly when I got back to where I was watching the concert from that a store close by was selling bottled soda. Now that was partially my fault for not noticing, but I would have appreciated that TM working, considering the situation at hand of no ice and already inconveniencing the customer, have told me that there was a place to buy bottled soda right there. Would have really made up for it imo.

How crowded do people think the concerts are going to be this weekend? When would be a good time to get decent spots?

I honestly have no idea what kind of crowds J.Cole and Sugar Ray would get. But considering it's Spring Break, it'll be pretty crowded.

My mom and sister came into town and got to the parks at 3 to pick out a spot for the Goo Goo Dolls.

A few Cyndi Lauper pictures . . .

CL-1.jpg

CL-2.jpg

CL-3.jpg

CL-4.jpg

That would be really cool. I would certainly check it out if able.

I heard it was pretty high energy and the crowds were hefty today. Have a great time!

Actually, surprisingly low crowds. As a gauge, Rockit at 1 pm was a less than 5 minute wait. It heated up later in the evening, but yeah, seems like they underperformed a bit. (Not that I minded...)