Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mass WDI Layoffs

Exactly. It was all very gracious. Though since the window, Baxter has sometimes been critical of Disney's direction.

Well, yeah, they're not gonna take it down. :lol:

BTW: I know not many of you have done this in light of this possible 180, but if we can put this in perspective here: the two people were speculating about, namely of which is Joe Rohde and Tom Fitzgerald are "celebrity" class Imagineers. These are people set for Disney Legend status, an incredible severance package and possible fantastic pension if they "retire", with a slew of consultant jobs on the docket and beyond numerous opportunities, not the least of which is nabbing a paycheck everytime Disney invites them to speak at an event. And there's a LOT of events. Their future is all but guaranteed due to their name recognition and clout. They had a lot of power, it was (allegedly) taken away from them, but these aren't exactly struggling people.

The ones who are being laid off whom we know next to nothing about? Those are the ones to worry about, to fret over, to really feel bad for. I know that layoffs are an extremely touchy subject, but let's remember that more people than usual right now seem to have feet in their mouths. Very trustworthy people. There's no need to be snide or looking down on others for the speculation that arose here. We don't know exactly what's going on right now and that's how these things happen.

Plus I don't think Joe or Tom are ever going to read these forums so there's that :)

(well I hope they don't)

Last edited:
Well, yeah, they're not gonna take it down. :lol:

BTW: I know not many of you have done this in light of this possible 180, but if we can put this in perspective here: the two people were speculating about, namely of which is Joe Rohde and Tom Fitzgerald are "celebrity" class Imagineers. These are people set for Disney Legend status, an incredible severance package and possible fantastic pension if they "retire", with a slew of consultant jobs on the docket and beyond numerous opportunities, not the least of which is nabbing a paycheck everytime Disney invites them to speak at an event. And there's a LOT of events. Their future is all but guaranteed due to their name recognition and clout. They had a lot of power, it was (allegedly) taken away from them, but these aren't exactly struggling people.

The ones who are being laid off whom we know next to nothing about? Those are the ones to worry about, to fret over, to really feel bad for. I know that layoffs are an extremely touchy subject, but let's remember that more people than usual right now seem to have feet in their mouths. Very trustworthy people. There's no need to be snide or looking down on others for the speculation that arose here. We don't know exactly what's going on right now and that's how these things happen.

Plus I don't think Joe or Tom are ever going to read these forums so there's that :)

(well I hope they don't)
Excellent post. That's probably it in a wrap.A very perceptive post about the business culture. I can always tell when a poster has a good business aptitude and understands his way around the buzz words.

I agree with this entirely.

A lot of people have been let go of WDI, and now; I really hope they can find some form of work quick so they don't have to keep themselves afloat. But nethertheless, I really feel sorry for them in the most sincere way..one thing is for certain.

If MC is correct; in a way, it is one of the worst day's in WDI's history.

I can't say much else but the future of WDI has no need for the 450+ imagineers and creatives. It's all going to be outsourced. Donations in my name can be made to the Alzheimer's Association.

Disney is changing their culture & apparatus and trying to copy Universal's success. Quality projects at an acceptable budget delivered in a timely manner, the Universal way, lots of outsourcing too.....Just my guess though.

Yeah, I feel really odd placing bets on someone's career. Let's show a little compassion here. There's a lot of chatter on this from lots of people (hell, even we heard it yesterday from a source).

As part of the reductions, voluntary severance packages were offered to senior staffers, those with longer terms of service or nearing retirement, Disney said.

Beginning Wednesday, others were laid off. Disney would not say how many were let go, saying only that the number of layoffs was a low single-digit percentage.

The design company is also undergoing a reorganization under Bob Weis, who was appointed its president in January. As part of that process, several others were offered different positions within the organization - some at a lesser rate of pay.

Walt Disney Imagineering reduces staff after Shanghai Disneyland opens - The Orange County Register

Spin masters. Always read between the lines, and recognize the buzz words to find the truth once they start that corporate speak. :)
Yeah... But this is actually a good thing if you ask me. WDI has been wasting talent and spending way too much money on lackluster projects for years. Something needed to be done.

Yeah... But this is actually a good thing if you ask me. WDI has been wasting talent and spending way too much money on lackluster projects for years. Something needed to be done.

I wonder what would happen if the Imagineers came over to UC and whether or not they could stick to a reasonable budget.