MIB: Alien Attack Revamp? | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Closing the two most popular rides at all would be a highly questionable choice in any scenario, but most certainly while Simpsons, KidZone, Fear Factor, Shrek, and F&F remain unaddressed/unchanged.
The issue is that they’re 2 of the 4 oldest rides in the park (5 oldest ride systems), and they’re based on the three oldest films, least relevant/popular films in the park. Apart from nostalgia, there’s little reason to keep them. Universal has gotten the ROI.
So likely order would be MIB (pls no), Simpsons, then Mummy?
The order of replacements I see happening (as of right now) are Shrek, MIB/Simpsons (likely together), Mummy. This is purely based on logic. No rumors involved. Simpsons is where it is based on the anticipated end of the contract.

KidZone will sneak in before/part of/after the Simpsons transition.

This list can change based on any major issues. Is Jimmy Fallon or Vin Diesel gets wrapped up in some major controversy, then replacements for those will get priority.

The issue is that they’re 2 of the 4 oldest rides in the park (5 oldest ride systems), and they’re based on the three oldest films, least relevant/popular films in the park. Apart from nostalgia, there’s little reason to keep them. Universal has gotten the ROI.

The order of replacements I see happening (as of right now) are Shrek, MIB/Simpsons (likely together), Mummy. This is purely based on logic. No rumors involved. Simpsons is where it is based on the anticipated end of the contract.

This list can change based on any major issues. Is Jimmy Fallon or Vin Diesel gets wrapped up in some major controversy, then replacements for those will get priority.
I can seriously see Shrek closing by the end of this year for SLoP or KFP next year.

UOR is always being quoted as having limited space for expansion compared to WDW but this list just proves that USF has multiple spots that can be replaced.

It will be interesting to see what the future of USF is. If MIB and Simpsons go at the same time and I imagine Fear Factor could go with it, this is a massive plot of land. Do they build a single ride or do they feel pressured to build a whole land?

MIB and FF are about 6.5 acres
MIB FF acres.JPG

Simpsons and Kidzone is almost 8 acres.
Simpsons KZ acre.JPG

For perspective, Diagon Alley is about 6 acres.

Well, if Shrek and Simpsons are also gone, that makes the loss of MIB much easier to stomach.

UOR is always being quoted as having limited space for expansion compared to WDW but this list just proves that USF has multiple spots that can be replaced.

It will be interesting to see what the future of USF is. If MIB and Simpsons go at the same time and I imagine Fear Factor could go with it, this is a massive plot of land. Do they build a single ride or do they feel pressured to build a whole land?

View attachment 14084

View attachment 14083

If EU gets built, I have no idea what they do with those areas. I see no way they both build EU and replace those areas post-Covid, and think that USF outside of Diagon would quickly be well on its way to becoming what Future World is currently. Just like with Epcot, though, they can get away with that somewhat by doing all the big special events there. Such is the dilemma of adding a new park.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolbfitz
Well, if Shrek and Simpsons are also gone, that makes the loss of MIB much easier to stomach.

If EU gets built, I have no idea what they do with those areas. I see no way they both build EU and replace those areas post-Covid, and think that USF outside of Diagon would quickly be well on its way to becoming what Future World is currently. Just like with Epcot, though, they can get away with that somewhat by doing all the big special events there. Such is the dilemma of adding a new park.

With the vaccine roll out going better than expected, I’m feeling optimistic about the parks future.

I could see 2022 beating 2019 numbers.

IOA has got plenty of love recently, I could see USF getting a new attraction before EU opens and one shortly after and given the spotty sites for a bee ride, they could build something cheaply. With EU opening, they don’t have to open something groundbreaking.

I would also love to see a preview centre opening like they did for IOA.

If EU gets built, I have no idea what they do with those areas. I see no way they both build EU and replace those areas post-Covid, and think that USF outside of Diagon would quickly be on its way to becoming what Future World is currently.
I mean, Simpsons may have to change by the end of the decade. Depending on if they can keep the ride running, MIB may have to get replaced as well. And there still things that could replace them. Just because we don’t know what they could be, that doesn’t mean Universal doesn’t know either.

I mean, Simpsons may have to change by the end of the decade. Depending on if they can keep the ride running, MIB may have to get replaced as well. And there still things that could replace them. Just because we don’t know what they could be, that doesn’t mean Universal doesn’t know either.
In my heart of hearts I hope they look to the legacy of MiB and come back with a improved version of the ride with updated tech (no VR!) and rebuild it. What should have happened with Jaws while still finding space for DA.
I know budgets and merch sales drive decisions

Reactions: HHN Maddux

What I'm saying is that I could see conceivably see those being shuttered and used for events in the vain of WoL. Not saying I like that option, just saying that if they absolutely insist on building EU to increase peoples' stays, it might be the most realistic option after 'Rona.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that I could see conceivably see those being shuttered and used for events in the vain of WoL. Not saying I like that option, just saying that if they absolutely insist on building EU to increase peoples' stays, it might be the most realistic option after 'Rona.
Universal can’t afford to shutter rides. WoL was 80% exhibit space with a low-tech simulator and a lower-tech show. More importantly, the pavilion was a fairly nondescript building tucked in a corner. I know Universal shuttered Poseidon, but that’s fairly comparable to WoL. It’s a low-tech show that most people aren’t looking for if it’s not there.

Shuttering Mummy or MIB wouldn’t be the same; it would be like shuttering Space Mountain or Peter Pan. Those are big, distinctive rides that people look for, expect, and will ask about because their ride buildings are right on the guests path. Universal won’t close either without a plan to demo them and replace almost immediately.

Universal can’t afford to shutter rides. WoL was 80% exhibit space with a low-tech simulator and a lower-tech show. More importantly, the pavilion was a fairly nondescript building tucked in a corner. I know Universal shuttered Poseidon, but that’s fairly comparable to WoL. It’s a low-tech show that most people aren’t looking for if it’s not there.

Shuttering Mummy or MIB wouldn’t be the same; it would be like shuttering Space Mountain or Peter Pan. Those are big, distinctive rides that people look for, expect, and will ask about because their ride buildings are right on the guests path. Universal won’t close either without a plan to demo them and replace almost immediately.
what is WoL in this context?

what is WoL in this context?

Wonders of Life. My argument is that because of the fallout from Covid they may not have the funds to replace all this stuff if EU is that high a priority. It would be weird if we got replacements that we don't even know about before we got EU, the properties about which we do know. The easy answer would be to build Nintendo in KidZone and build the new Wizarding World stuff over MIB and FFL, but that goes back to EU being such a priority.

Last edited:

View attachment 14084

View attachment 14083

I mean if we want to get serious, all of this could be redone:

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 9.32.52 PM.png

No one IP could take all of that, and they'd probably need to account for some backstage space. But, nothing in there is anything that couldn't close tomorrow(disregarding the simpsons contact) and all of it probably should be removed by the end of the decade. They could reshape that whole half of the park if they really wanted to.

Wonders of Life. My argument is that because of the fallout from Covid they may not have the funds to replace all this stuff if EU is that high a priority. It would be weird if we got replacements that we don't even know about before we got EU, the properties about which we do know. The easy answer would be to build Nintendo in KidZone and build the new Wizarding World stuff over MIB and FFL, but that goes back to EU being such a priority.
But what’s your timeline? Most of the time, I feel like you forget stuff like this planned across several years. If EU is built to open 2024. Then you’re looking at all of these replacements happening “right after EU” still taking until 2030 at the earliest to be completed.

It’s simple. Either EU happens in ‘24 and the current parks get drastic refurbs through the decade, or the various parts of EU end up in the current parks and EU doesn’t happen until the end of the decade. The finances aren’t such that Comcast will only do one. This isn’t Blackstone. Comcast wants to compete.

But what’s your timeline? Most of the time, I feel like you forget stuff like this planned across several years. If EU is built to open 2024. Then you’re looking at all of these replacements happening “right after EU” still taking until 2030 at the earliest to be completed.

It’s simple. Either EU happens in ‘24 and the current parks get drastic refurbs through the decade, or the various parts of EU end up in the current parks and EU doesn’t happen until the end of the decade. The finances aren’t such that Comcast will only do one. This isn’t Blackstone. Comcast wants to compete.

Perhaps I'm overestimating Covid's impact.

Perhaps I'm overestimating Covid's impact.
It’s not that. It’s just Universal and Comcast are viewing this from a completely different perspective. They’re looking at it from an aspect of, “money we spend now, will help us get more money two-three years from now.” That matters because COVID *should* be completely under control by that point (barring some absolutely disastrous variant strain). Their timeline is completely different from our timeline.

Universal will continue investing. How they continue will likely be determined this summer with movement probably starting by the end of the year.

It’s not that. It’s just Universal and Comcast are viewing this from a completely different perspective. They’re looking at it from an aspect of, “money we spend now, will help us get more money two-three years from now.” That matters because COVID *should* be completely under control by that point (barring some absolutely disastrous variant strain). Their timeline is completely different from our timeline.

Universal will continue investing. How they continue will likely be determined this summer with movement probably starting by the end of the year.
Yep, that's Comcast's MO throughout their entire history. I would expect that business philosophy to continue because it's always been successful for them. Covid is just a bump in the road that changes
timelines a bit.

I mean if we want to get serious, all of this could be redone:

View attachment 14085

No one IP could take all of that, and they'd probably need to account for some backstage space. But, nothing in there is anything that couldn't close tomorrow(disregarding the simpsons contact) and all of it probably should be removed by the end of the decade. They could reshape that whole half of the park if they really wanted to.

I think the corner between Simpsons and MIB is too important for HHN plus back of house services like storage, parade building, laundry etc.

I don't think that replacing Kidzone is going to be easy as the park needs an area for younger kids. While Universal caters to an older age group than Disney, families with younger kids could be put off without having an area for kids under 10.

The best plan for Universal going forward with ride replacement would be to start removing screen heavy attractions like Shrek and Simpsons. SLOP seems like a perfect fit.

I would love to see a water ride in the park.