Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

I'm sad to hear they're closing The Great Movie Ride. Last year was my first time at Disney in 8 years so I got to ride it. Not my favorite ride but being on it brought me back to when I would go to Disney every year as a kid so it had that nostalgic feeling.

Sometimes I do think it's strange that Mickey was never represented in Ride form at Disney, but I think they should have went for the classic look rather than the new style

I'm sad to hear they're closing The Great Movie Ride. Last year was my first time at Disney in 8 years so I got to ride it. Not my favorite ride but being on it brought me back to when I would go to Disney every year as a kid so it had that nostalgic feeling.

Sometimes I do think it's strange that Mickey was never represented in Ride form at Disney, but I think they should have went for the classic look rather than the new style

I'm surprised that it's going to DHS and not MK.

I take it you're suggesting the constantly rumored connection to Sunset? Yeah, no. That would require a ton of logistical and infrastructure changes that I expect they would have started on already if it has any chance at moving beyond rumor. Maybe in the distant future, but not in the next 10-15 years at least from the look of things.

And sorry, but the art style is horrible. I've never liked anything drawn in that style. Yes, this is subjective, but for me its a legit gripe. Honestly, I love the ideas for the attraction and think they'll make for a fun experience, but I just can't get over the art style.
I'm not sure what the plan is for the Animation Courtyard. Only that it's future in limited. I'm also scepticle of the connector to RnR courtyard.

And it's fine not to like the art style. I'm not a huge fan of it myself. A bit too Ren & Stimpy. But I understand why Disney is using for this ride. Mickey, in any form, is "classic". And this is the style that is currently being used on The Disney Channel. So it is a character recognized by older audiences because it's "Mickey", and recognized by the 4 and unders because it's visually something they have seen daily on TV.

Not sure we can legitimately call this a screenz ride. More like a "projection map" ride.

It won't be like a Universal ride where there's a screen with some set pieces to blend the edges. In this one, every surface will act as a screen. But made of real physical objects. If anything it's more like an Augmented Reality ride, minus the glasses.

The projection mapping was my favorite bits on Na'vi River Journey so this may very well end up being a really cool experiment, and essentially an entirely new way to do rides at theme parks.

From the test we saw it looks like they'll be transitioning scenes from one location to another, while we're still in them! Not just by changing what's being projected, but by rotating/flipping out/replacing entire (blank) set pieces AND changing what's being projected on them simultaneously.

This may be something new that blows away the general public and will essentially look like magic the first time you see it in action.

Calling it now, sleeper hit. Like Fallon, in that the GP is going to absolutely love it. "Real Fans" are going to complain about the art style, Screenz, and the loss of a sad, irrelevant/outdated and somewhat boring ride.

I completely agree. As a fan of Fallon, and that I do love the shorts when you watch it through as it is; this is one of those attractions to where I am more excited of going on, because it's something that Disney has never really done in a sense. And that, is a pure Mickey attraction.

Never has he had anything entirely to himself and his friends for a main-line E-Ticket ride; and that I think the Projection Mapping techniques will be groundbreaking, especially if you look at the mockup with a very unique style of handling the environments.

I am hyped, and that I can't wait to see what they do.

Not sure we can legitimately call this a screenz ride. More like a "projection map" ride.

It won't be like a Universal ride where there's a screen with some set pieces to blend the edges. In this one, every surface will act as a screen. But made of real physical objects. If anything it's more like an Augmented Reality ride, minus the glasses.

The projection mapping was my favorite bits on Na'vi River Journey so this may very well end up being a really cool experiment, and essentially an entirely new way to do rides at theme parks.

From the test we saw it looks like they'll be transitioning scenes from one location to another, while we're still in them! Not just by changing what's being projected, but by rotating/flipping out/replacing entire (blank) set pieces AND changing what's being projected on them simultaneously.

This may be something new that blows away the general public and will essentially look like magic the first time you see it in action.

Wow. I had no idea. Thx. Enjoy your GMR FP.

Also, the current Mickey Mouse shorts are usually pretty hilarious, so look forward to a lot of fun comedy. I also wonder how long the ride experience will be. GMR is a ginormous show building, but a common short (and attraction) is about three min long, so I'm guessing this will be much speedier and jam packed?
Yea, I love the new sorts. Unlike classic Mickey (no offense) these are actually funny!

And the ride should be 8 minutes long, if plans haven't changed.

From concept art I'm guessing it may start with us watching a short on a screen and then we enter the world through the awesome new projection effects.

Why I love the new shorts, is that they actually give character and depth to Mickey, Minnie, and their friends. I really hope we see that continue with a ride like this; as the shorts have been some of the best examples of the characters that we see.

And also, I absolutely adore the animation design, especially when it's moving.

Not exactly sure where this fits into the theme of DHS, location, or building facade. I'm not a huge fan of The Great Movie Ride, but a tour through the movies in the chinese theater at a movie themed park all made sense.

It could make more sense once the name change happens.

Yea, I love the new sorts. Unlike classic Mickey (no offense) these are actually funny!

And the ride should be 8 minutes long, if plans haven't changed.

From concept art I'm guessing it may start with us watching a short on a screen and then we enter the world through the awesome new projection effects.
I took your advice and went to the Pixel shorts in the old Capt. EO theater. We just loved what they did with that Mickey cartoon, really entertaining & enjoyable....So this attraction almost sounds like a real life version of the Who Framed Roger Rabbit movie (not the ride at Disneyland), only with Mickey & friends instead of the other Toons. If they can pull it off, it might be really cool & fun.

I took your advice and went to the Pixel shorts in the old Capt. EO theater. We just loved what they did with that Mickey cartoon, really entertaining & enjoyable....So this attraction almost sounds like a real life version of the Who Framed Roger Rabbit movie (not the ride at Disneyland), only with Mickey & friends instead of the other Toons. If they can pull it off, it might be really cool & fun.
Yea, Get a Horse is definitely the best 3D experience I've had in a movie theater since Avatar. And I see A LOT of movies in 3D (despite how much my girlfriend hates 3D.)

Not exactly sure where this fits into the theme of DHS, location, or building facade. I'm not a huge fan of The Great Movie Ride, but a tour through the movies in the chinese theater at a movie themed park all made sense.

I don't think DHS has a real theme anymore. It's just the park of random ideas.

I totally agree with Disney if they say this is the most technologically advanced ride they've ever done. I think all of us forget how high-tech projection mapping is. Especially if they're doing it in sync with physical sets moving.

This is definitely going to be a huge sleeper hit.

This is a win for Disney. But a nightmare right now for operations. A lot of people mock GMR for having 5-15 minutes waits, but that's only because of its huge capacity. The day it goes down, DHS will be one hectic place.