Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

Ratatouille was never gonna be a mind-blowing E (we know what it is), but opening after both Rise AND Runaway Railway is really gonna make it seem like the red headed step-child from day 1.

I just can't understand why Ratatouille gets so much hate. I think it's a perfectly charming and fun family ride that ticks all the right boxes.

Oof at this hot take. Tower is great because of it's stunning atmosphere/vibe in the horror/suspense theme. You don't find that often. Don't get me wrong, Mission Breakout looks fun and all, but it'd be a lesser version of the ride we already have.

I still maintain that Mission Breakout is better than ToT.

I've been thinking about why and it comes down to rerideability. Tower of Terror is great, no doubt about it but I'm probably hitting 75+ rides on it and after a while, you just want to ride it for the drop and MB is straight to business with randomised visuals, musics and drops.

I think something about skipping preshows was discussed in the Rise thread earlier (My short term memory is still a little wonky) but this could b be a good discussion for a new thread at some point about the best rides to reride.

This. If y'all think that FoP is on the same level as Tower, Rise, and Runaway Railway, then you need to get your senses checked.

FOP is the half way point between Soarin' and a really great dark ride.

I just can't understand why Ratatouille gets so much hate. I think it's a perfectly charming and fun family ride that ticks all the right boxes.
For me its the pacing. You go from fast moving action in the screens, to slow disjointed transitions in between.

I still maintain that Mission Breakout is better than ToT.

I've been thinking about why and it comes down to rerideability. Tower of Terror is great, no doubt about it but I'm probably hitting 75+ rides on it and after a while, you just want to ride it for the drop and MB is straight to business with randomised visuals, musics and drops.

I think something about skipping preshows was discussed in the Rise thread earlier (My short term memory is still a little wonky) but this could b be a good discussion for a new thread at some point about the best rides to reride.

FOP is the half way point between Soarin' and a really great dark ride.
Ratatouille is perfect for what Epcot needs and the France pavilion. I’m sure it will automatically become my favorite ride at the park.

There is no scenario in which Ratatouille will surpass Spaceship Earth (compromised descent or not) or Living with the Land for me. Anything else might be on the table (purely in terms of rides).

Runaway Railway is pretty much the Rise of the Resistance of family-friendly rides. It uses a lot of the same tech, but for fun instead of “fear”.

It’s funny to me that these two rides are opening in the same park, back to back.

Interested to see how the moving set pieces mix with the projection mapping. They can change the scene from one location to another, while you’re in it, and it should be mind blowing. And I’m excited for an original song on a ride again. It’s going to be great.

It always seemed to me like it would be a plussed version of Kong w/ more tech vs something like RotR. I mean, Rise is a 40” height requirement whereas Kong is merely 36”. Isn’t it expected that this will have nothing?

It always seemed to me like it would be a plussed version of Kong w/ more tech vs something like RotR. I mean, Rise is a 40” height requirement whereas Kong is merely 36”. Isn’t it expected that this will have nothing?
Other than the drop and elevator, there’s a lot of tech and ride system overlap between Rise and Runaway. Lower height requirement due to no drop, but there’s moments I bet will inevitably be compared to Rise once this opens.

Other than the drop and elevator, there’s a lot of tech and ride system overlap between Rise and Runaway. Lower height requirement due to no drop, but there’s moments I bet will inevitably be compared to Rise once this opens.

My understanding is that MMRR is sort of a proto-ROTR, and the preference would have been to open RR first. It won't bother me, as I don't care which ride is more advanced as long as I have fun.

My understanding is that MMRR is sort of a proto-ROTR, and the preference would have been to open RR first. It won't bother me, as I don't care which ride is more advanced as long as I have fun.
MMRR is a slightly more traditional trackless attraction in how it uses the tech. That said, I am very glad that they haven't shown off any scenes past the tunnel, it should leave plenty of surprises.

On Magic, Martin is reporting that essentially 50% of the ride will involve being "parked" in front of screens "like Ratatouille."

I'm very excited for the projection-mapping-onto-actual-sets-that-transform element of this attraction, but Martin's information does not increase my anticipation. I guess I was envisioning something more grand than what it may turn out to be.

On Magic, Martin is reporting that essentially 50% of the ride will involve being "parked" in front of screens "like Ratatouille."

I'm very excited for the projection-mapping-onto-actual-sets-that-transform element of this attraction, but Martin's information does not increase my anticipation. I guess I was envisioning something more grand than what it may turn out to be.

To be fair... so is Spider-Man at IOA;) :shrug:

In Ratatouille you are almost constantly moving in front of screens and there are a decent amount of physical sets to acompany them.
I'm expecting 'charming' more than 'grand'

This needs to be good - it's the company mascot after all!

We’ve got less than two months until we find out. I’ve still got high hopes, although I’ll always be a little upset this ride replaced GMR instead of being an expansion in Animation Courtyard. Not because of nostalgia for GMR either, just bc DHS needs more rides, not replacements.

In Ratatouille you are almost constantly moving in front of screens and there are a decent amount of physical sets to acompany them.
I'm expecting 'charming' more than 'grand'

This needs to be good - it's the company mascot after all!
Yeah, ROTR is grand. MMRR is a little different. It’ll have wow moments, but this is a more family/kids aimed ride than ROTR. Charming is probably a good descriptive word.

I was using "grand" in the sense of involving more extensive physical stuff than it now sounds like it will include. I had been under the impression it was not going to be heavily simulator-y.

I was just reporting what I read.

Only two scenes are said to actually have animatronics as far as I know, beginning and the end. The rest are projections onto various surfaces. Instead of the 3D of Spider-Man or Ratatouille, the magic here is supposed to accomplished with a series of various 2D surfaces with projections.

The only actual simulator sequence I know of is the waterfall. The rest won’t have the additional motion base as far as I know. But I could be mistaken.