Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

NBC Sports Grill Brew

If you're trying to call me a troll for having a difference of opinion, you're batting way out of your league. Just stop.

Will this place be popular among the Universal fanboys? Of course it will, but you're all missing the point. For "Us" (the fans), sure this is going to be a fun hang out spot to grab a pint before HHN, but lets look beyond that to the client that the resort is trying to go after. People on vacation 1) want something different to eat besides sports food and 2) don't schedule sports into their theme park schedules. You also need to factor in that the majority of Universal's visitors aren't staying at their hotels. Bottom line is that we all knew this was coming thanks to some of the insiders on here - but this isn't a step in a direction that makes them more of a resort and less of an extended version of a theme park. Citywalk needs to get into the habit of weeding out the Orlando locals who don't spend money in favor of a more invested crowd. This addition wont do it for them.
I get what you are saying and it is true... people don't "schedule" going to a bar into vacation plans. It just happens.

Thousands of people will pass by every day and night as they exit the park and especially during HHN season (really all of Football season especially), this thing will be packed. It's not because people "plan" to go here, but because they will be hungry and it's a giant MF'ing sports bar & grill right outside of the park. There's literally no way this fails. If NASCAR was able to do well, then NBC is gonna do a helluva lot better.

If resort guests don't like beer and versions of sports bar food, why does Disney have an ESPN restaurant on both coasts? :lol:

In Orlando, 45,000 hotel rooms (give or take) with crappy cable and guests without a car. ESPN gets slammed during college football and NFL games--roughly 40 days a year. Does well during March Madness, NBA finals and World Series. That still leaves 300 days a year with nothing terribly compelling to get people in the door, and the crowds on those days reflect that.

Universal does not have nearly that large a room base. It still relies largely, if not primarily, on locals--all of whom have cars and can drive to BW3 or Tailhouse or Hooters and watch the game at a fraction of the cost. Maybe at a bar that caters to their specific team.

In fairness, we know nothing about the cuisine. It could be amazing--tho I find the idea that a place the size of a supermarket could offer true gastropub-quality food dubious. And craft beer is hot right now--tho without the novelty of being Duff or Potter beer, will it justify $9/glass when World of Beer and Player 1 are minutes away?

There's still a lot of "what if" here. Things we won't know until it opens. I don't see the point in calling people trolls like a Pixie Dust addict on WDWMagic when it remains to be seen how well this concept will come together.

[For the record, I actually like the name the way it appears on the sign.]

Thousands of people will pass by every day and night as they exit the park and especially during HHN season (really all of Football season especially), this thing will be packed.

Serious question: why would people who spend $80 on an HHN ticket want to spend 1 - 3 hours of their night watching football anywhere?

Maybe guests kicked out early on Sunday, but other times of the week, only going to be talking heads on the screen as they walk out (or maybe a replay of the college lacrosse championship).

Serious question: why would people who spend $80 on an HHN ticket want to spend 1 - 3 hours of their night watching football anywhere?

Maybe guests kicked out early on Sunday, but other times of the week, only going to be talking heads on the screen as they walk out (or maybe a replay of the college lacrosse championship).

It's not necessarily to watch football games, people can basically do a pre-game (HHN) tailgate. Meet up there, have some dinner and a beer before heading into the park.

It'll last. CityWalk still has a lot of space that they can use and other weak concepts that can be replaced. They need a sports bar.

I think an argument could be made that they could have scaled this down, but it's going to do fine.

EDIT: Should have been a reply, but I messed it up. I'm still getting used to the new layout.

Last edited:

Before the event starts

I think it looks great. A welcome addition to CityWalk. Wish it was going to be done when I'm there in late August.

When I'm on vacation with my family, I tend to lose track of my sports teams. But it's always nice to take at least one night to sit at a bar, watch my Phillies and have a half dozen beers and a burger or some wings. This place will be perfect for that.

And if I ever find myself at Universal on a Sunday or Monday night in the Fall, this is where I will land.

A good point was made earlier that brought up what really could separate this from something like a Buffalo Wild Wings. I'm hoping the draw isn't only the massive amounts of tv's and beer but something unique that I haven't seen anywhere else. Perhaps controlling one tv from your table or even hearing the broadcast(Home/Away/Different Language) from there could bring a cool sense of control and also keep from bothering your server to change to a game you want. Chances are it's just going to be the vastness of the building and sensory overload but hey a man can dream. Anyone else got some ideas here?

I fail to see how some think this place will fail, sports, beers and good food all in what look to be fantastic surroundings and don't forget this place is in a prime location, just imagine the foot traffic passing by this place. The outdoor screens will drag em in as will the beer garden.

"Don't see it lasting long" I think the opposite, this place will be packed even on non match days.

A good point was made earlier that brought up what really could separate this from something like a Buffalo Wild Wings. I'm hoping the draw isn't only the massive amounts of tv's and beer but something unique that I haven't seen anywhere else. Perhaps controlling one tv from your table or even hearing the broadcast(Home/Away/Different Language) from there could bring a cool sense of control and also keep from bothering your server to change to a game you want. Chances are it's just going to be the vastness of the building and sensory overload but hey a man can dream. Anyone else got some ideas here?

I have a local sports bar with a bunch of numbered TV's. Each table has a speaker device that allows you to choose which TV you want to listen to.

I have a local sports bar with a bunch of numbered TV's. Each table has a speaker device that allows you to choose which TV you want to listen to.
Well then, Massachusetts and Italy have let me down in terms of sports bars. Well perhaps expand on the idea? A little touch screen that could also incorporate server alerting/beer list/scores of all games etc...Then again I expect massive amounts of drunken-ness (myself included) happening here soooo perhaps less to break is better.